Help with teambuilding

HyperspaceFury

I’m in the Beryl Ward, and there’s a certain boss battle I keep losing, so I thought that maybe I should make some changes to my team.

Here is my current lineup:

Grovyle: lv 26
Meowstic (F): lv 28
Swalot: lv 26
Loudred: lv 26
Kricketune: lv 28
Bibarel: lv 28

I want to keep Meowstic because she has a Modest nature and the ability Competitive. Swalot I also want to keep, because he’s my wall. And Bibarel is my HM Slave, so he needs to stay.

That leaves Kricketune, Loudred, and Grovyle. They all have pretty crappy defences, and die in 2-3 hits dealt by similarly-leveled Pokémon.

I sort of need Kricketune; he has decent attack, and no one else on my team can counter Psychic and Dark types.

I’m thinking of getting rid of Loudred, because his speed really hinders him. Unlike the other two, he can’t even get a hit in before dying.

I regret choosing Grovyle as my starter. I only did so because I chose Torchic in Emerald, Mudkip in AlSaph, and wanted to try something new. Otherwise, I normally stay away from Grass starters, because they’re usually the worst of the bunch. And Sceptile’s Mega Evo isn’t really worth it, because Grass/Dragon is crap.

These are the Pokémon I currently have in my PC:

Bellsprout
Cacnea (egg)
Castform
Drifloon
Drowzee (egg)
Electrike
Glameow
Granbull
Happiny
Hoppip
Igglybuff
Lillipup
Mareep
Munna
Noibat
Pansear
Pidgey
Plusle
Sentret (egg)
Skitty
Swirlix
Teddiursa
Wingull
Woobat
Zigzagoon

Of all of those, I like the look of Mareep; M-Ampharos has good defences and even better hair. Noivern is pretty decent, but putting up with Noibat’s mediocre stats until lv 48 is gonna be a pain in the butt.

Suggestions for Pokémon not in my PC are welcome, since, frankly, most of the Mons in there are garbage (ironically, I don’t have a Trubbish in there).

Edited by HyperspaceFury

You should keep Kricketune if he has Perish Song

If you're against corey, just capture a Klink and everything will be fine

Klink is found at the Abandoned Railnet underneath Obsidia.

Mareep is a good option, use it, you can evolve it to Ampharos and then use some common candies, or nah.

If It's the battle with ZEL & Taka, gl, I always get stuck with them.

I would say Cacnea > Grovyle, since it evolves at 32 and learns Spikes at 30 but i recommend you never follow my direction when it comes to this

I'm really bad at it, sorry

I mean.... if you told us WHICH boss battle you're stuck at then we may be able to help more?

Also, no Megas are in the game until literally the final battle, and that's a gym leader's Pokemon. we probably will have no access to it until E18.

From experience, treeko and grovyle are meh, but when you stick with them and get a Sceptile he is fast, and can one shot one of the bulkiest mons of a boss in the late game. My suggestion is to get a Growlithe from the police quest, but I'm not exactly sure what point you are at in the game so I cant give exact advice.

Edited by wytch_doctr

You should keep Kricketune if he has Perish Song

If you're against corey, just capture a Klink and everything will be fine

Klink is found at the Abandoned Railnet underneath Obsidia.

I’ll try to remember that, thanks.

I mean.... if you told us WHICH boss battle you're stuck at then we may be able to help more?

Loyalitie already guessed it, it’s the one against ZEL and Taka.

Also, no Megas are in the game until literally the final battle, and that's a gym leader's Pokemon. we probably will have no access to it until E18.

Ah, I didn’t know that. I guess M-Sceptile doesn’t really matter then.

From experience, treeko and grovyle are meh, but when you stick with them and get a Sceptile he is fast, and can one shot one of the bulkiest mons of a boss in the late game. My suggestion is to get a Growlithe from the police quest, but I'm not exactly sure what point you are at in the game so I cant give exact advice.

I could really do with an Arcanine. I didn’t know you could get a Growlithe because at that point, I’d only rescued 4/5 of the missing policemen.

Sudowoodo. Get a +Attack nature (Adamant preferable, but any works), with Sturdy ability. It can shut down Taka's Chatot with its typing and Rock moves. If you keep it for the long haul, use Rock Tomb, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and Counter as the moveset. Put a Hard Rock on it to maximize damage output.

Edited by Dragon116

well i wont evolve treeko until he learns E.Ball and Giga drain for free without tm but you already have a grovyle so yeah. you also do not need a hm slave in your team as in reborn you can delete HMs anytime anywhere. well idk what boss fight if taka is in them a soundproof loudred will deal with his chatot and if it is ZEL+ Taka just focus down the eeveelutions by adding in a fighting type into your team hariyama/pancham/mankey. i would go for hariyama since it is bulky and can deal tons of dmg. you can catch a makuhita at the obsidia slums but it is kinda rare.

Sudowoodo. Get a +Attack nature (Adamant preferable, but any works), with Sturdy ability. It can shut down Taka's Chatot with its typing and Rock moves. If you keep it for the long haul, use Rock Tomb, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and Counter as the moveset. Put a Hard Rock on it to maximize damage output.

Where can you find a Sudowoodo/Bonsly?

• 6 months later...
  • Global Mods

From your PC, granbull could be a good one to use for a while. I also second mareep. And its ok to have an HM slave normally, but swap them out for any boss battle.

EDIT: oops just noticed how old this is. So sorry!

Please dont eat me.

Edited by DreamblitzX