How's the difficulty with an EV trained team?

Ronan Erudon

EV training makes some challenges manageable without as much planning as normal. For example, I didn't have to train extra pokemon just to beat the Beartic boss, I only had to get its HP low enough with the other five mons so my EV-trained Combusken could finish it (yes, I did a new run with torchic, I wanted to know what all the OP-fuzz was about. Yes, it is adamant, too.).

I wouldn't call having an EV trained team "unfun" It simply helps you not get overwhelmed when the leaders are throwing EV trained mons and fields back at you, if anything it makes a run more organized and less of a hair pulling struggle, though you're free to play the game however you like

Edited by DJWongTong

I mean I did test runs of hardcore in the original release where they all had zero IVs on everything more or less. You don't need it, but having some in the better stats helps. Leaders do have EVs as well but you don't start seeing teams of perfectly spread EVs until Charlotte and only recently in E15 have bosses started packing those (ie Taka). I doubt you'll ever need perfect EVs as it's a lot of work to do for not that much more strength until the very late fights.

Whether you need to EV train or not depends on how good you are with the pokemon franchise. I consider myself reasonable, but there have certainly been times I wished I put some more speed EV's into some pokemon (Ciel and Kiki especially)

It will probably become more necessary as we get closer to the end game though, as the game is very punishing for moving second without a very bulky team or one that abuses TR/tailwind

For me I have slight OCD in that I like having nearly perfect or at least very strong mons. So I desire pokemon with good IVs. I have already acquired pokemon with good IVs 30-31 in most stats but havent really Ev trained yet.

To make the game harder I am thinking of switching to the hardcore version.