Fan Favorites you're not quite as keen on?

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to express my ever-evolving hatred towards Pokemon's very own mascot- Pikachu (or as I usually call it, Pikash*t)

My hatred stems from its overexposure in media, literally everywhere. Can't call its design bad, 'cause it isn't bad. It's cute and all that, I once had a plush pikachu as well. However, it was never a favorite of mine and the anime+ media made me loathe it. It gets so much bullpoop in the anime that it's infuriating... I mean, that frail little rat could never in a million years hope to beat a latios or a regice..or any legend at all. There are no levels in the anime, but a frail rat's frailty should be considered even there and not come up with some nakama power stuff or non-existing attacks to beat stuff. I get that it's the mascot and all, but there's just so much special treatment for it that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they "found" a way to give it a mega despite logic pointing to a mega Raichu.

My distaste for pikachu + other events inspired my current all-pokemon comic that will probably never see light in the digital world, or maybe it will, things like Reborn exist, so maybe my plot isn't so weird after all.

Of course, I also don't like greninja and charizard getting special treatment in terms of forms, especially that ash greninja poop, but charizard has always been a favorite of mine design-wise so wellp, having 2 megas instead of 1 isn't enough to make me dislike it since it's not surrounded by bull- like pikachu. Same goes for greninja

I was going to bash Pikachu, but you already said pretty much everything I was going to say about the yellow rat.

I was glad to see it was actually completely absent from Black and White(well, they still introduced yet another electric rodent, but we can't have everything I guess).

I've seen all-pokemon comics before. I'm kind of interested in seeing yours.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucario

When it came out it was great. It was cool looking, almost a super hero wearing a mask. It's typing was also interesting. A fighter with steel all over and likely within his body. Sounds like Wolverine to me.

Where I began to lose interest was when it was everywhere. Aaron had one and gave you a Riolu egg. Cynthia had one also. A movie was made featuring it and multiple episodes of the anime had Riolu. It was everywhere. There was a time I tried breeding one with Sky Uppercut. Eventually I'd seen enough of it that it was common. Like Pikachu, Lucario got so much attention that it got boring. Also, with so much attention on Lucario other great Sinnoh Pokemon were over looked. I love Garchomp, which is a pseudo-legendary, and yet Lucario got more attention. I am now also a fan of Magmortar, which I didn't care for for a long time.

All this to say that I don't find Lucario as special anymore.

list

lucario pikachu mewtwo greninja charizard talonflame mega rayquaza gengar + all op pokemon that didnt need a mega + pixie legendaries pikaclones 3456 and all these pokemon which are made out to be powerful which are a complete flop also an issue is that we need more gen 4 and 5 megas or do away with megas because most of them are fan service also when i played x and y i changed it so you didnt get a kanto starter +legendary birds + stuff just for the anime(my first game was pearl version so yeah sorry if i dont know much)

reasons

lucario:

it had a movie and all and it was cool then the anime kind of spammed it a little and i was like well it is good i guess then gen 6

pikachu

i know its your mascot but please stop spamming it do you want to make a disc of its cry also they used its actual cry for gen 6 games also x and y is kanto shot over to france because it goes town route town route forest route town and the champions bit is nearby also snorlax

mewtwo

geez it was ok in gen 1 but im serious all genwunners do not play new games because they are born with RBY in the head.

greninja

i know protean is good but come on did he fuse with it or something or are they pulling a friends are glued together thing

charizard

booring already discussed

talonflame

stealth rock makes it half dead push over

mega rayquaza

my battle with it

go aggron

aggron used rock slide

super effective crit

rayquaza used (special rayquaza only move which i forgot what its called)

rayquaza is at red health and i throw and ultra ball. done

2 turns wow he is wayyyy too trustworthy lets see if he fits in the pc

gengar

please its more gen 1 stuff also they made events

op+mega=doesnt need fix

e.g.

blaziken tyranitar garchomp gyarados mewtwo...(not lucario as he wasnt op neither was charizard but they didnt need rubbed in your face.)

pixies

mew,celebi,jirachi,shaymin+and manaphy,victini,diancie?

1 2 3 4 4 5 6

so also the abundance of legendaries in gen 4

pikaclones 3456

they are quite circumstantial in fights like they are cute but still

flops

tyrantrum talonflame.. there was quite a few in gen 6 even though a few of my faves are gen 6 and yeah

legendary birds

bad sorry

uhh a lot of anime

uhh a lot of legendaries are there just for the anime/events

end

Honedge line annoys me its not that I dislike them its just so many other pokemon catch way to much flak for just being "inanimate objects with eyes" but then what is Honedge and fam? they are literally swords so why don't they cop as much crap as Klefki and Trubbbish?

also Greninja is the new Charizard.

I was going to bash Pikachu, but you already said pretty much everything I was going to say about the yellow rat.

I was glad to see it was actually completely absent from Black and White(well, they still introduced yet another electric rodent, but we can't have everything I guess).

I've seen all-pokemon comics before. I'm kind of interested in seeing yours.

I actually don't mind the other ele rats because they're not so spammed like pikachu. Hell, I like pichu and raichu even, but pikachu? Hell no. I also hate how the anime antagonizes Raichu everytime..either that or makes the raichu a wimp.

My comic involves a weird dark and violent plot in a world of only pokemon, thus they have speech and actually ....live like humans with houses and whatnot. It is currently only existing as rough pen-doodled panels in my notebooks, but I've always kinda wanted to redraw it digitally, yet I felt like pokemon+ violence (even death) and blood (it's not ALL about that but there's enough of it) would not really be accepted by the masses who link pokemon to sunshine and rainbows (even though the manga sliced arbok in half and stuff like that)

Edited by Masquerain

Honedge line annoys me its not that I dislike them its just so many other pokemon catch way to much flak for just being "inanimate objects with eyes" but then what is Honedge and fam? they are literally swords so why don't they cop as much crap as Klefki and Trubbbish?

also Greninja is the new Charizard.

I was always mad none of Honedge's line was called Hexcalibur. Sees like such a cool name.

mawile.gifmawile-mega.gifsableye.gifsableye-mega.gif

The Granite Cave version exclusives from Gen III are a pair of interesting, beloved Pokemon I just can't get behind.

It's easy to see what makes these two well liked when you start prattling off the types of abilities you will see between these two and their Mega Evolutions.

Intimidate, Prankster, Huge Power, Magic Bounce.

But these two "darlings" were just version exclusives and nothing more before Gen VI! Mawile was a pure steel type that has been CONSISTENTLY in NeverUsed since it's maiden voyage while it's Mega evolution only saw a brief window of dominance in Ubers before Primal Groudon came in and made it a niche-only adversary. It's stats are horrid when not Mega evolved and it relies heavily on Sucker Punch to beat faster threats offensively. Defensively it's most unique moves are Super Fang and Pain Split - and while Swords Dance makes it terrifying, anything that gets Swords Dance and a priority move is terrifying in the same right! There are MANY better options to use than this thing - which didn't get much out of it's recently bestowed Fairy typing and needed a Mega Evolution to climb anywhere.

Sableye? It's an equally loved, equally hated Pokemon. If your cup of tea is pissing your opponent off instead of defeating them, then this was the Pokemon for you. It's literally the FACE of the ability Prankster. However, that ability didn't grace Sable's pitiful existence until GEN 5 - and this thing has been rolling since 2003! The generation before getting any kind of respite whatsoever, Smogon recommended ANYONE thinking about using Sableye to use Spiritomb instead! In it's analysis, where usually it will make a note about a Pokemon outclassing it.

No punches pulled. Just "should probably use Spiritomb instead."

Yet, these two Pokemon have a baffling amount of fan support, especially around a community like Reborn, where Ghosts and Fairies are arguably everyone's favorite types. Not my cup of tea though.

snorlax.gif

Curse Lax..... Snorlax has Too. Much. Bulk. Go running, lose some weight you fat fuck.

azelf.gif

The pain in the ass that is the epitome of Hyper offensive leads. Stealth Rock, Explosion, Taunt, Attack(s). This thing always wrecks me because I can never play around it properly. It's fast enough that it can almost always set up rocks and explode. Want to set up your own rocks? It's taunt you.

victini.gif

V-Create is broken af yo. 180 BP Stab, 95%. Pair it with a band or scarf and this thing is just broken late game.

amoonguss.gif

Fuck Regenerator, fuck this things ridiculous bulk. Synethesis, Spore, Regenerator, good defensive type it just... ugh.

gliscor.gif

Poison Heal is broken, this thing is bulky as hell, and it can pack a wide variety of moves to make it's bulk even more annoying, including Taunt and Roost. But the worst set is SubProtect Toxic. This is fun, I'll just sit here unable to do anything if my pokemon is slower. Yay.

reuniclus.gif

This thing sets up on me way too easily. Magic Guard means you can't status is and get rid of it with Toxic and it's pretty damn bulky after a single Calm Mind is might be too late.

talonflame.gif

iv3MotWGzIKtUopPUKZ5.png

Sadly the converted Fairy types for the most part. The new typing to me made formerly garbage Pokemon, which I'm sure many where happy being kinda garbage, into some real scary powerhouses (namely Mawile, Azumarill, Gardevoir, and Clefable). Woulda been better imo if they introduced a couple new Fairies kind of like with Steel and Dark getting a couple sprinkled into Gen 2.

Sadly the converted Fairy types for the most part. The new typing to me made formerly garbage Pokemon, which I'm sure many where happy being kinda garbage, into some real scary powerhouses (namely Mawile, Azumarill, Gardevoir, and Clefable). Woulda been better imo if they introduced a couple new Fairies kind of like with Steel and Dark getting a couple sprinkled into Gen 2.

..but they introduced new fairies along with the old pokemon gaining a fairy typing

I never post on this site but this topic certainly has my attention...

I never was a fan of Jolteon in the original games because IMO, it really sucked. It didn't learn any good moves until higher levels were reached, and we all know that accuracy sucked. It is on my Reborn team now, but that's because it has a way better move set now. Too many people used to rave about Jolteon that I did my best to never have one until Gen 6.

Oh, and as far as electric rodents go, I had Pachirisu on my Reborn team up until level 50 where I then replaced it with Jolteon (because it was getting too weak for battling that far into the game). That thing got me through most of the game. I always thought it sucked as a Pokemon, but I was pleasantly surprised by how far I got with it. It impressed me.

I also lump Ninetales in with Jolteon because I used to love the design, but hate the moves it learned (well, didn't learn.). It has improved, but it's still not a favorite of mine. I blame it's terrible stats to my horrible luck of getting bad natures and the like, but IMO, it still has room for improvement in that department.

New fairy types would have been nice instead of slapping Pokemon like Marill with it. I cannot stand Marill anymore.

^So you liked Marill, Whimsicott, Togepi and Clefable more as already over used types rather than a newer type with fewer to choose from?

Idk I can get behind a lot of complaints in this thread but the booing of retrotyping pokemon into fairies seems silly especially when a lot of said retypings were of typings that already had a ton of other pokemon in it.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Mawile (and to an extent Azumarill) aside, I'm actually happy some of those Pokemon got the Fairy retyping.

• the Clefable line's secondary member is CleFAIRY. It was destined to become a fairy type by nomenclature.
  • the Gardevoir line is actually quite a fan favorite that wasn't terrible so much as it's viability was limited. I like the current typing more personally, but I see the point here.
  • Whimsicott is something I don't quite understand - but it makes it a little more viable outside of weather, which is appreciated.

Azumarill is an interesting "back to original topic" Pokemon for me. With it having Huge Power since generation 3, and gaining priority in Aqua Jet along with a STAB physical move in generation 4, this Pokemon has seen it's viability continuously rise. Last generation it was breaking out of it's UU home for a niche on rain teams as the most powerful priority user in the rain, giving it's choice band set even more meaning than previously had. With the rain gone, the Fairy typing made it's water typing even MORE defensive and gave it another STAB to play with in Play Rough - effectively breaking the barrier between it and OU.

It's always been a "decent" little 'Mon, but I'm not sure if it was a beloved Pokemon within Game Freak of if the thing had some support outside of Generation 5. Not a Pokemon I'm really keen on, but it's pretty interesting.

^^Azumarill was a massive disappointment in its debut. All this hype for pikablue and it was underwhelming to say the least. He got better and better each gen, and now he actually lives up to the hype his line originally had. Plus I think its whimsical aesthetic makes it fitting as a fairy type so it doesn't feel tacked on though although YMMV.

Really, if anything Chansey and Audino feel weird for not being fairy-typed initially(although mega-audino changed that and only one weakness works better for Chansey's line anyway). Mawile's steel typing is the bizarre typing I never understood as it always seemed more like a dark type or a dark/steel type. At least becoming fairy plays off its origins somewhat and fits its deceitful nature.

I felt fairy was handled better than steel and dark were in gen 2 where your selection of pokemon and moves felt kind of limited.

• 1 month later...
  • Developers

I never liked lucario for some reason its hard to pin down, but I think it has to do with nintendo treating him so special its annoying and the whole aura aspect never seemed all that great to me.

Edited by smeargletail

Not sure about 'fan favorite,' but holy god do I hate purrloin. I liked it at first, because dark type! and a cat! but I quickly discovered it was absolutely useless and I only kept it on my team out of sheer stubbornness. And now in gen 6 it's not even cute anymore??? why is its sprite standing on two legs what the heck that looks so weird!

and speaking of gen 6, the pokemon all look so funky now... 3d is cool for cutscenes but in battle it just looks strange.

• 4 weeks later...

I have issues with Mewtwo. It's already super powerful as it is, and it's available to catch in every generation except for Gen 5. Why, of all things, did it need a Mega Evolution, and 2 of them for that matter? Just why?

I also have a problem with the weather trio and their Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversions. While Groudon's is admittedly good for countering its water weakness, why do Legendaries even need Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversions in the first place? They're supposed to be powerful as they are. Instead of adding Mega Evolutions to legendaries and already overpowered Pokemon, why not give them to Pokemon who don't get any love-like Dunsparce or Qwilfish? Mega Evolutions greatly helped Mawile and (at least to some extent) Sableye become decent competitively.

TL;DR: I have problems with the Mega Evolutions given to Pokemon who could already hold their own in the competitive scene and legendaries, especially Mewtwo.

Edited by YoshiofRedemption

Firstly, as has been drilled in before by others:

Unneeded Mega Evolutions. Yes, they are just GF trying to milk out the most money they can, but... if it's strong, and you make it stronger, then everyone is basically forced to use it. Yes, you can refuse to use it and do just fine, but the more they add, the harder it gets. Imagine the day when the only viable held items will be Choice, Sash, Evolite, and Mega Stones.

Pika-clones. Firstly, for clarification, I'm talking about these Pokemon:

Pichu/Pikachu (not Raichu)

Azurill/Marill (not Azumarill)

Plusle/Minun

Pachirisu

Emolga

mde Dedenne

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying they're bad. At first, there was some attempts to make them good, but now... generally lackluster stats (bar speed), passable movepool, and they look like another Pikaclone (especially Emolga and Dedenne). Suddenly, Mega Dedenne.

Blaziken:

Let's put it this way: Good competitively, bland usage. Lackluster in Reborn (and doubles/triples) due to not being able to play a team game. Then you give it a mega stone... and nothing changes. I like it, but... I also don't.

Lucario:

I like Lucario. I do not like that it gets an extreme focus compared to other Pokemon in similar positions (i.e. Zorua). It greatly displeased SSBM enthusiests by replacing Mewtwo, which, though I did not care for the SSB franchise as much... replace "a legendary Pokemon of near godlike power" with "this thing you can hatch oh btw everyone has one". It's basically an "auxiliary" Pikachu at this point.

Eevee's line:

I like it... but listen up, GF: Either pursue it, or drop it; the line needs to stop, either by being finished, or being halted. By the way, Eevee was the only Pokemon to gain an evolution in Gen 6.

Oh, look, everything I wanted to say has already been said, so...

Secondly:

Edited by Cobalt996

I know its blasphemous to say, but I've never liked Umbreon. No clue why him and jolteon are the fan favorites of the eevee line. I actually dislike most defensive oriented pokemon(Blissey, Snorlax, Florges) that seem to get a lot of love. Ill take a glass cannon over a slow bulky any day, but Umbreon seems to have this huge following I just don't understand. Also, all fairy types, I played gen 1-5 games but never gen 6, so the fairys just seem strange to me.
Reborn was the first time I've used Spiritomb and I was pretty dissapointed. Feel like he's a bit overhyped too. Its just way too slow to do much damage and now with fairy type he doesnt even have the novelty "no weaknesses" claim.

I got one for you all.

garchomp.gif

Generation 4 often gets slighted by me, and it's psuedo, which is actually a fantastic Pokemon in it's own right and loved by many - doesn't really quite do it for me in the same vein.

Garchomp is considered the ace of Sinnoh's resident Champion, Cynthia, and is also a fierce looking beast of a 'mon. It -also- can be run offensively with boosting moves, or defensively with moves like Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail for support (Stealth Rock also fitting in some offensive non-sweeper varients.)

It's actually a pretty big anomaly when it comes to how I don't hold it in high regard as others do - considering Hyper Offense is my preferred method of battle. It just is a reminder of a time when Pokemon wasn't a fandom I was proud to be a part of - and as such, it may never get the acknowledgement from me that it probably -does- deserve.

Also, Garchomp is like, one of TWO Pokemon - and one that is by great significance, better than it is mega-evolution. Gross.