Pokémon Go - Discussion/Expectation Thread

DashingStorm

Before the masses break out regarding this new reveal trailer posted by the Pokémon Company, let's keep it nice and simple.

What do you expect will happen when this gets released?

How do you think this game will develop? Feel free to discuss here!

Don't know what this thread is about?

Check out this video:

• Upvote 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Global Mods

So I watched the video but I'm confused.

Is this a phone app, or its own device? And, are the Pokemon holograms that come out visible to everybody in the area, or just the one with the app/device? I wonder how Poke Balls work? Does it come with a few, and if so, how do you get more?

People say to show, not tell, but I honestly think I would've understood this better with a written explanation than a video/presentation. It looks cool, though!

So I watched the video but I'm confused.

Is this a phone app, or its own device? And, are the Pokemon holograms that come out visible to everybody in the area, or just the one with the app/device? I wonder how Poke Balls work? Does it come with a few, and if so, how do you get more?

People say to show, not tell, but I honestly think I would've understood this better with a written explanation than a video/presentation. It looks cool, though!

It's going to be a phone app available for any Android/iOS supporting phone. The holograms they showed were most likely there just to catch attention, as all finding and catching is actually done over the phone.. I'm going to hope Poké Balls won't cost money, but they'll probably make it so you can purchase them if you run out after the daily generator thing (more below)

They announced this in a press conference, so I reckon Youtube should have that entire press conference somewhere soon-ish.

:< so, im guessing this is gonna be a download that costs more than 99 cents?

looks neat, but its not like a whole game either. just catch and battle.

Already confirmed this app will be free to download, though. :]

As for my two cents, I believe they'll play it like this;

- You'll be given a set amount of Poké Balls (normal plain Poké Balls) every day or maybe every week and once you run out, you can make use of the in-app purchase function to buy more Poké Balls.

- I also believe they'll make it so you can buy other types of Poké Balls, probably Great and Ultra Balls (which were shown in the video) to catch Pokémon with somewhat lower catchrates (do you honestly believe you can catch a Charizard with a Poké Ball?)

- As for the entire "raid" concept, I don't yet have an opinion on that, but I think it'd be fun to run across town to a raid event with a couple dozen players.

- The blue bracelet you may or may not have seen is probably something you will have to buy seperately, as it indicates when/where a Pokémon may be when you have it on and when you have the game running (albeit silently or through notifications being enabled), which is neat.. But what if it starts buzzing in the middle of the night?

isn't this like...basically what google tricked us about...? the google map thing. it just seems so similar to me lmao.

anyway,

i'm really intrigued to see how they're going to pull this off. the game is simple, just catch, battle, trade yet all those seem too complicated for a smartphone? especially the battle part.

Oh man, i know the pokemon shown in the trailer were special effects but if the pokemon company partnered with a company like google (or more specifically the department developing google glasses) we could see the pokemon and the battles like we saw them in the trailer. That would be SO incredible.

I find it amusing how the actual game footage is only a shown for a sec.

OOOOHHHHHH

right that makes way more sense now, i'm an idiot k.

STILL THOUGH

they better make the game look good. even if it doesnt feature Pokemon somehow projected into the real world, i'm probably still gonna like it~

Well, it is interesting, I give them that. But I am worried how it will all work out in the end, especially support in some lets say minor countries. Will I really have access to everything someone in Japan/Usa has in my own country? And hopefully the Pokemon locations will reset after a while, it would suck if I would have no option but to really go to some place to catch a certain Pokemon. But, its free as they say... I can try at least.

with help of people like google, possibly a partnership with apple, and nintendo, pokemon could very well become 'real'. A constant display through a google glass like device, and when i say partnership with apple, i mean that the app would also communicate with the apple watch. I don't want to wear 2 things on my wrist for the sake of a game, but i would if i had to.

As far as i know, the game is free, with in app purchases, probably for either items, or possibly even buying pokemon, or maybe buying a chance at catching a legendary pokemon?

My bet for legendary pokemon, like we saw for mewtwo, it will almost be like a team battle wifi event in various locations. I.E. for mewtwo: Location: New York city (times square i think? Idk, i a nub when it comes to locations), group battle, everyone against it. Whoever participates, if they beat it within the time slot, everyone gets one. the hardest part would be actually being there. And maybe for some legendaries it will be in either really obscure or really hard to reach places. Groudon? Top of a Volcano in Hawaii, Rayquaza? Top of the CN Tower, or the Burge Dubai. Deoxys? Cape Canaveral space station. Kyogre? Santa Monica Pier, near the water.

Tbh, this is an incredible idea and opportunity. I will be on the edge of my seat for the next 2 years.

I don't play the vanilla games but I have to said. I AM VERY surprise this video didn't got horrendous amount of dislikes. Nobody really cares about phones games, but them again the vast majority of the demographic are kids. If it have Pokes in the title, it will sell.

This most likely be a disappointed like any other phone games; Pay 2 win.

Where did you see the gameplay o_O . Maybe I was wayyy to focus seen Mewtwo getting teabagged by hundreds of Pokes...

But did anyone feel bad for Mewtwo though? I mean that was 1v1000? Where's the honor?

Maaaan, it took 10 minutes for a f***ton of Pokémons to take down a Mewtwo like c'mon

Yep, this.

The idea is nice and all that good shit, but I'll wait for more videos about this before deciding about hype/no hype~

I'm really excited! The holograms they showed probably is not gonna happen, but I actually don't mind too much (yeah, it will be fucking awesome if they do a google glass thing!).

Definitely it is an amazing video production. I look foward to the release.

It looks like it's encouraging people to actually GO out into the world and be more active while playing pokemon to sorta simulate an actual Pokemon adventure, which, to be honest, is a really neat idea. How it will actually be in application remains to be seen, but I'm all aboard the concept.

• Global Mods

It's going to be a phone app available for any Android/iOS supporting phone. The holograms they showed were most likely there just to catch attention, as all finding and catching is actually done over the phone.. I'm going to hope Poké Balls won't cost money, but they'll probably make it so you can purchase them if you run out after the daily generator thing (more below)

They announced this in a press conference, so I reckon Youtube should have that entire press conference somewhere soon-ish.

Oh, ok. I thought those holograms actually appeared on earth.

What I'm not sure about is how they decide where each pokemon is. The trailer showed people going out into the middle of nowhere so it seems like pokemon might only appear is set locations. If so are these locations going to mainly be in Japan and North America, isolating players in other countries to have like 1 available pokemon in their city?

It looks interesting in my opinion.

I have a few qualms though:

1) My phone is absolute rubbish and can't run anything. Ever. I literally just opened an application and my phone heated up so much it could have burned me.

2) Seeing as it's gonna be a mobile online game, does that mean it'll use 3G? in which case, I ain't got the cash fo dat!

3) There was a third reason that I forgot....

4) umm... number 4 was.... OH! in app purchases! What's that all about? stop being so shady and just make us pay for the app!!

5) This had BETTER not be released instead of a pokemon game. Or take away from the effort that goes into the games.

6) I'm kind of worried the entire premise will just flop.

7) Could end up like old online servers/pokemon bank.

The trailer was awesome and it's a really cool idea,

I just worry about the reality of it.

Some things are better imagined than realised, you know? 0_0