HALP! VALERIE TOO OP!

Korlif

I don't know what's up with this version, but Valerie is giving me way more problems than I had before. No matter how many times I train my teams speed up,she outspeeds and oneshots everything but my Floatzel! Luckily, My Sawsbuck and Pumpkaboo can live (barely) one ice beam at full health, but they don't don't nearly enough damage. I've been trying to beat her for the past 2 nights with no real luck.

Here's my team (with reserves):

Infernape- lvl45

Sawsbuck- lvl45

Floatzel- lvl45

Zebstrika- lvl45

Pumpkaboo- lvl45

Arbok- lvl44

Dusclops- lvl45

Pangoro- lvl45

Medicham- lvl40

Pansage- lvl44

Diggersby- lvl43

Sandslash- lvl 39

I've got other pokes, but these are the only ones that are up to this level for me to use. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. this water waifu is kicking my ass!

I'm on normal.

You are on normal mode and you can't get pass a battle for 2 days? Damn. I on intense mode first time playing. I think I'm about to face the 2nd Gym.

The 1st Gym was a 100% a pushover....

EDIT: typo

Edited by Smok3iT

I hope your Floatzel has whirlpool, becuase its is very OP on this field. If it doesnt use reverse candies till Lv 34, then level it back up, Whirlpool will literally save you lol. If your Zebstrika has Lightning rod, lead with floatzel, then go to Zebstrika, Her politoed has Hp electirc, you can get an easy boost like that and could possibly Ohko her politoed with Discharge. You should be using Dusclops and Pangoro over Pumpkaboo and Arbok, their bulk and power should help you out more. You could also try catching a Dustox in the area, it has light screen and toxic and it has good SpD. Also if you have a light clay, then put it on dustox for 8 turns of light screen. Lemme know how this works for ya.

Edited by Milotic

You are on normal mode and you can't get pass a battle for 2 days? Damn. I on intense mode first time playing. I think I'm about to face the 2nd Gym.

The 1st Gym was a 100% a pushover....

EDIT: typo

that depends on the starter you used. the first gym was also pretty easy to me on intense, since i used espeon. valarie is nothing compared though... if you really think she'll be a pushover, prepare for hell, holy shit.

anyway, i think jan will nerf her (at least i hope so). she's way too overpowered as of now.

The thing is:

Speed from EVERY non flying/levitating, non-water type gets HALFED!

IF you have caught a Snover on Blacksteeple... use its Hailwarning to cancel out Politoads Drizzle and use its Mist to cancel out the entire field (well for 5 turns at least...)

I used Cherrim with a Heat Rock Sunny Day, then after it fainted, switched to my Victreebell (with Chlorophyll), used Growth once, and then Leaf Blade'd everything she had. Only thing that didn't get instantly KO'd was her Milotic, but other than that it wasn't too difficult for me.

Abomasnow also works well in this fight because it resists both her threatening moves - ice and water type attacks. Plus, it gets Wood Hammer at level 41 (as Snover), which is almost guaranteed to KO atleast one of her Pokémon. Snow Warning also denies Politoed's Drizzle. Problem is, you can only catch Snover in Blacksteeple Castle, so you'd have to go back a few saves if you didn't catch one.

Edited by Chris P. Bacon

Since the Shedinja has been patched away from availability, I'd recommend the second crazy part of the strat I originally used.

Get a paras with dry skin and train him for Special attack and health.

Get two while you are at it. They can probably do the whole gym alone.

Turn 1 spore,

turn 2 giga drain.

As long as the fight doesn't go on for the whole week you'll continually heal from the rain.

I'd recommend a very offensive electric type for the politoed then bunker down and outlast the rest.

You will probably need a fighting type for the Lapras though, I don't know how many ice beams the Paras can take.

I have it outlined pretty well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeo2BkBABr0

I show just how strong the paras can be. Venusaur and swazyB can be just as effective.

Just ignore the parts about shednija since Jan likes to nerf fun. zzz

that depends on the starter you used. the first gym was also pretty easy to me on intense, since i used espeon. valarie is nothing compared though... if you really think she'll be a pushover, prepare for hell, holy shit.

anyway, i think jan will nerf her (at least i hope so). she's way too overpowered as of now.

Psss...I got Sylveon... Your Espeon alone most have save your ass in that battle. It was okay for me, had a team of 5 by them.

Crap, I thought so. Thought the water was giving them a huge speed boost, though. And yes, I've been using Whirlpool Floatzel; it's the biggest saving grace with taking out Milotic. Thanks to all opf you, I am now retuning my team..

Do people even read what field effects are? That field decreases all grounded pokemon's speed by half except for pokemon with swift swim or water type pokemon in general i think. That means you can either avoid the field with flying or levitate or benefit with water types. Now i don't know exactly how that could work but i suggest getting some bulky grass types that deal dmg e.g Vileplume and sleep powder+ Giga drain or straight out giga drain her pokemon. Another thing you could do is wait for drizzle to wear off and set up on her with a bulky in sp.def pokemon and spam healing items. I did both actually, took her on with vileplume and set up with Gardevoir.

Do people even read what field effects are? That field decreases all grounded pokemon's speed by half except for pokemon with swift swim or water type pokemon in general i think. That means you can either avoid the field with flying or levitate or benefit with water types. Now i don't know exactly how that could work but i suggest getting some bulky grass types that deal dmg e.g Vileplume and sleep powder+ Giga drain or straight out giga drain her pokemon. Another thing you could do is wait for drizzle to wear off and set up on her with a bulky in sp.def pokemon and spam healing items. I did both actually, took her on with vileplume and set up with Gardevoir.

Gotta remember Jan axed Nim's teleportation, so theres not too many pokemon to work with on the Island

Edited by Milotic

^Yeah that's the problem, and to the big shot bragging about how he can rock intense, Valerie is borderline broken now, especially going in blind. You can easily be screwed over if you don't have the right team since you can't go back without reloading an earlier save. A lot of suggestions in this game might be impossible for the OP to get his hands on at this point without reloading an earlier save or cheesing somehow.

My first time playing too, and while I did beat her without using any potions/etc, I can say she's by far the most aggravating gym leader yet(although TBH I took more tries on Marianette, who I found pretty challenging too).

Changing the field can give you a big edge on terrain abusing leaders.Unlike Reborn though Rejuvenation doesn't really give the player as much opportunity to do so.

I've still got V5 on my PC so I could go into there, teleport to mainland, save, and go back into V6.I caught the emolga and bred a modest one along with getting a jolly infernape with elemental punches (I know, not that helpful for Val, but still needed it) and caught a levitate Dusclops while EV training in Narci's gym. Also got Voltorb maxed out in speed (searching for a place to EV for SpAttk).I'm about halfway through with these preps, but soon I hope to have some powerful pokemon by tomorrow. Wish me luck! ^^.

No see the field reduces your speed by half, which is like being paralyzed. So even if voltorb's speed was like 110, on the field its like it'd be only 55 and thus get outsped by everybody and their grandmother.on Val's team.

Thing is, flying types aren't affected by that, so theoretically Emolga or Jumpluff would be great. HOWEVER all of her pokemon have an ice move of some sort, with lapras getting a STAB, meaning emolga is at serious risk since it very likely won't be able to take down the pokemon turn one., unless you get seriously lucky with paralysis to where it won't matter. Light screen could help with that though and ice beam won't one-shot it unless it's coming off Lapras or a critical. Jumpluff on the other hand will get wrecked by ice beam stab or not since it has a 4x weakness.

This fight is bonkers really. You're really limited in what you can bring that works. Changing the field does alleviate a lot of the issues though, as Val's power bonuses are nullified, your penalties are nullified, and you can better take advantage. Electric terrain or grassy terrain would be amazing but I don't know what can learn it + survive long enough to use it at this point. Mist too a lesser extent but again, I don't know if you can have access to it.

Don't be afraid to bring a grass type though, as most of her ice beams won't one-shot your pokemon unless it comes from Lapras or a competitive boosted milotic. In fact it's getting frozen off one that's the killer(which the field boosts the likelyhood of as well I think) but that comes down to luck.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Water Absorb Seismitoad was extremely helpful in this battle.

Lanturn, Rotom-Wash and Milotic can't hurt it - as Ice Beam is the only attack that is able to inflict damage on this toad. Additionally, if Aqua Ring is used - the damage is pretty much negated, following HP restoration via the field. Lapras's Ice Beam hits harder - but Drain Punch is there to counter it.

Does Slowbro only pack a psychic-type move as its only offensive move? I've only seen Light Screen, Reflect and Calm Mind being used. If so, a Dark type walls it (I used a Liepard).

WA Siesmitoad was my plan but I sadly only had 1 ability capsule to use on my SS one. It's ability was useless the whole game since it would have outsped the pokemon I sacrificed it against and in every other battle where it rained there were pokemon which my other pokemon could deal with more easily.

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone who helped me in this thread know that I went and challenged Valerie after I EV trained some new pokemon. I pretty much tore through her team on the first try. Here's the team I ended up using. Thanks again to you all.

post-41647-0-72905400-1440724936_thumb.png