Best way to beat this game: Blazekin

TheInnerBeast

As every single one of you who plays this game knows, Amethyst made this game extremely difficult by nerfing everything that would give you any sort of edge. For example, the pickup ability for rare candies, fishing for magicarps, and event ghastly are no longer useful or usable options in this game. To make matters worse, the field effects for gym leaders and level caps of your Pokemon are completely insane. All of these factors make the game pretty much impossible without you having to do boring grinding at least once or a couple of times during your play through process.

However, there is one way you can cut the difficulty of the game by at least 60 percent that amethyst can never nerf or take out of the game. The easiest way to complete this overly difficult game is Blazekin.

A lot of you already probably knew this, but Blazekin (torchic) is the best starter by a long shot. But some of you might not know how great the gap is between blazekin and all other obtainable Pokemon in this game. Oh let me count the ways: this Pokemon gets an amazing attack and speed stat, amazing fire and fighting STABs that are hard to find in this game, amazing move sets with bulk up, and of course speed boost. Blazekin also has enough bulk to where it usually can live the first hit by an opponent and gain the speed boost to sweep the opponents team.

Amethyst Diliberately takes out all good Pokemon so that this game will be as ridiculously hard and so that you can't use good strategies that work against multiple opponents. This makes it so that you will inevitably get stuck at some point during the playthrough. However she can never take out Blazekin from the game because it is a starter Pokemon and she can't nerf it because she has to go by what the pokemon's stats and abilities actually are (if she ever does either of these things, I'll probably just quit playing this game out of principle). In short, Blazekin is your only surefire chance to get a Pokemon that is actually a good option.

You will find that Blazekin can use bulk up only once or twice coupled with speed boost and then it can easily sweep even gyms where it has weaknesses. Blazekin can also help sweep double battles and, though not as potent, Blazekin makes even double battles at least 60 percent easier than they would be otherwise. I guarantee that if you choose bazekin to be a part of your team, you will start to notice it winning most battles for you and carrying whatever team you pair it with.

If you were planning to use Blazekin, I would suggest you save before you pick your first Pokemon and then keep obtaining torchic until you get an adamant nature. Trust me, it helps immensely and it is worth it since you only have to do it once. You can get speed boost by using an ability capsule if it for some reason comes with the blaze ability instead.

Amethyst has made the power of the Pokemon that the opponents get considerably better than yours and has taken most of your offensive options away. By using Blazekin on your team, you can combat this somewhat unreasonably hard game.

Edited by TheInnerBeast

As every single one of you who plays this game knows, Amethyst made this game extremely difficult by nerfing everything that would give you any sort of edge. For example, pickup rare candies, fishing for magicarps, and event ghastly are no longer useful or usable options in this game. To make matters worse, the field effects for gym leaders and level caps of your Pokemon are completely insane. All of these factors make the gam pretty much impossible without you having to do boring grinding at least once or a couple of times during your play through process.

However, there is one way you can cut the difficulty of the game by at least 60 percent that amethyst can never nerf or take out of the game. The easiest way to complete this overly difficult game is Blazekin.

A lot of you already probably knew this, but Blazekin (torchic) is the best starter by a long shot. But some of you might not know how great the gap is between blazekin and all other obtainable Pokemon in this game. Oh let me count the ways: this Pokemon gets an amazing attack and speed stat, amazing fire and fighting STABs that are hard to find in this game, amazing move sets with bulk up, and of course speed boost. Blazekin also has enough bulk to where it usually can live the first hit by an opponent and gain the speed boost to sweep the opponents team.

Amethyst Diliberately takes out all good Pokemon so that this game will be as ridiculously hard and so that you can't use good strategies that work against multiple opponents. This makes it so that you will inevitably get stuck at some point during the playthrough. However she can never take out Blazekin from the game because it is a starter Pokemon and she can't nerf it because she has to go by what the pokemon's stats and abilities actually are (if she ever does either of these things, I'll probably just quit playing this game out of principle). In short, Blazekin is your only surefire chance to get a Pokemon that is actually a good option.

You will find that Blazekin can use bulk up only once or twice coupled with speed boost and then it can easily sweep even gyms where it has weaknesses. Blazekin can also help sweep double battles and, though not as potent, Blazekin makes even double battles at least 60 percent easier than they would be otherwise. I guarantee that if you choose bazekin to be a part of your team, you will start to notice it winning most battles for you and carrying whatever team you pair it with.

If you were planning to use Blazekin, I would suggest you save before you pick your first Pokemon and then keep obtaining torchic until you get an adamant nature. Trust me, it helps immensely and it is worth it since you only have to do it once. You can get speed boost by using an ability capsule if it for some reason comes with the blaze ability instead.

Amethyst has make the power of the Pokemon opponents get considerably better than yours and has taken most of your offensive options away. By using Blazekin on your team, you can combat this somewhat unreasonably hard game.

Blaziken being ridiculous is common knowledge. The only way to fix this would be to remove it, which would be a bad idea IMO, as it would irritate people who like the Pokemon, and randomly being able to not choose one starter when the game lets you choose every other would be jarring.

I also believe you posted on the wrong section of the forums.

English and grammar errors aside, your argument about the game being unreasonably difficult isn't a claim that holds water. There are plenty of opportunities to bust through any battle without taking so much as a scratch. Though, if you're hoping to play Reborn will a full OU-filled team, you're going to be kicked five flights down. Fights are not meant to be won with full-team sweeps. Believing in that sense of easiness towards Reborn ascertains you'll get your flaming chicken served right back at you in a bucket. Take this Blaziken up against the Ground-type gym leader, Flying-type gym leader, or Psychic-type gym leader and don't expect to get it back well-treated.

Amethyst Diliberately takes out all good Pokemon so that this game will be as ridiculously hard and so that you can't use good strategies that work against multiple opponents.

By good Pokemon, could you perhaps refer to Beldum, Staraptor, Rotom, Greninja, Bisharp, or Steelix? I think that team could work quite well in Reborn. The most difficult of this game is the test of your mettle, knowledge, desire to go great distances for good rewards, and willingness to make a strategy. Many players already have made their rounds in this game, completing episode after episode. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This game's meant to test your competence as a trainer.

The best way to beat this game is with an open mind.

While I agree with most of your points but here is the thing: another reason why Reborn known for is finding pokemon that are useful but turned down like pachi and emogla. Really, only op pokemon removed ever was gyarados but there are still a few who have it like me and Vinny. Removing Blaziken is another story tho. While I agree to ha making is op, only to solve this moving the ability capsules back to practically Aya or removing altogether.

I tore through all episodes with my Swampert and don´t want anything else regarding starters.
The level caps are the fairest way of playing I´ve ever seen in pokémon games, since it´s not anymore a question of "capture two-three pokes, overlevel them and go for the kill". For once, you actually need to think to beat the game. Blaziken´s speed is not that good, EXCEPT for the hidden ability Ame let us have from the start, what does not happen in any pokémon game - how that relates to "nerfing anything usable", I don´t know.
The fields are easy to use against the leader with a little forethought. And finally, if you try competitive battles online in the Reborn Server, then you´ll see what is a tough game. Reborn is challenging, not overly difficult, but there´s no way a single pokémon will beat the game. It is a great school to open a trainer´s mind to new possibilities and styles of playing. Try different stuff, face the challenge, and you´ll come out a true master, mate.

The game isn't unreasonably hard; the fact that it's beatable more or less proves that it is, in fact, reasonably hard.

The fact that a lot of people play through without Blazekin is further evidence of that.

Not to mention that some people have completed the game using Mono-type teams, which actually makes the game harder than it was intended to be.

Some people even have Nuzlocke runs for this game.

So yeah, it's pretty reasonable.

Now, if you want the game to be easier, than sure, picking blazekin is probably your best bet.

But in fairness, most people know about that, and a strong number of people actually seem to want even more of a challenge, hence the special runs they do.

Although Torchic is one of the top starters in the game, BUT it will never be a Team Player! Ever so reliable, bulky and offensive. It's basically the Renaissance PKMN of Reborn! You probably will never put Swampert in the PC except for fighting Flobot and Fern. I would use Blaziken on one playthrough to pave the way for another playthrough so I would know what's coming. But at the end of the day, Blaziken won't single-handedly win you the entire game. Reborn is a game about strategy, not packing OU PKMN.

Anyways, nice "Torchic is the best starter" campaign. Now we wait for someone's Froakie FTW campaign

The game isn't unreasonably hard; the fact that it's beatable more or less proves that it is, in fact, reasonably hard.

The fact that a lot of people play through without Blazekin is further evidence of that.

A Couple of things: Just because you beat a game, doesn't mean it isn't too hard. This game is almost tailored for you to have go through multiple boring grinds in order to complete it. You can beat the game, but not without going through tedious hassles that I feel make the game needlessly time consuming. My personal opinion of course.

I have beaten this game with a save file that doesn't use Blazekin, which is why I have the perspective that other people do. Therefore I just believe she made it very over the top.

The Pokemon game in general already had a multitude of powerful Pokemon that can shut down entire teams, so the fact that she increased the power of the opponents 2 fold and made the level cap the way it is makes it so that you don't have a lot of creativity as I feel people should have while completing this game. For example, why is there a level 75 arceus when all your Pokemon are like level 50? What "strategy" are you supposed to have versus that Pokemon that isn't supposed to be bad? That battle is definitely a low blow.

That being said, I do enjoy the challenge most of the time in the game. I do feel, however, that the game should give you more options and that any idea to make the game as easy as possible is a good idea.

Edited by TheInnerBeast

Whenever people talk about Reborn's difficulty, there's a lot of talking past each other lol

Half of the users pitch in with some false statement of "Reborn is not about ___" and the other half make non sequiturs about how self-imposed challenges build character or something.

Fights are not meant to be won with full-team sweeps.

Fights are most easily won with full team sweeps; they're easy and consistent to do.

Anyway I like Blaziken being OP because many of the fights that it wins aren't as simple as a straight Bulk Up and sweep. There are also a lot of double battles that Blaziken doesn't have an easy time with.

Edited by dondon151

Blaziken being ridiculous is common knowledge. The only way to fix this would be to remove it, which would be a bad idea IMO, as it would irritate people who like the Pokemon, and randomly being able to not choose one starter when the game lets you choose every other would be jarring.

I also believe you posted on the wrong section of the forums.

all that needs to be done is make torchic hidden ability-locked at the start of the game (assuming there'll be another torchic event later on). speed boost is the only reason why blaziken is so op. the only issue with this is that hidden abilities are like regular abilities in reborn, meaning you could still breed or use an ability capsule to get speed boost. so this will only be effective if that ever changes (which I doubt it will) and until then, reborn runs will always be as easy as game freak ones as long as you choose torchic as your starter.

Blaziken without Speed Boost would still be the best starter by far because it has an amazing STAB combination with strong level-up moves, one of them being Bulk Up.

reborn runs will always be as easy as game freak ones as long as you choose torchic as your starter.

lol this is not true at all

Edited by dondon151

The thing with difficulty is the difference in competitive experience of various players. If you would be an experienced competitive player then you would naturally see the value in many less hyped pokemon choices when the better choices are unavailable until later. Therefore you can still run through the game without much difficulty. For those players, reborn adds a variety to your pokemon experience without you having to use a lucario every game like 5th gen or ralts every game like the 6th gen games. The game is still challenging to some extent, that's the good part of reborn

For the less competitive players, they may struggle when some of the best pokemons are taken out, forcing them to take the less conventional picks, but then they discover value in new pokemon and possibly adding to their competitive experience, which is a good thing as well. The game may be frustrating at parts, but very rewarding to certain people.

Now for those without any competitive experience that run through the main game with their overlevelled Charizard every time, this is when Blaziken comes in. It's the game in easy mode, there's nothing more frustrating than retrying for the Nth time and still lose to that same gym leader. For players that want to take it easy, or just enjoy the story (admit it, you played reborn for the plot), take the easy path and then maybe when you get better you can take another starter for your 2nd run and start new discovery.

This is, how I see this matter at least...sorry about the long post

Blaziken without Speed Boost would still be the best starter by far because it has an amazing STAB combination with strong level-up moves, one of them being Bulk Up.

lol this is not true at all

blaziken without speed boost is as good as infernape (and some other fire-types you can get later on). that said, i wouldnt call it the best choice as a starter. it's still a great one given the first few gym leaders, but without speed boost, it's way more balanced than it is right now imo.

can you elaborate on how that is not true at all? have you tried doing a run relying completely on blaziken? its not something you can do with most mons, and when you can, they usually get axed right away (a good example would be gyarados). my younger brother, who's not very experienced in pokemon and occasionally does runs of fanmade games, decided to try out reborn a couple months ago, as i suggested him to. i warned him that it would be a really hard game comparing to what he's used to and that he would probably find it extremely difficult to get past most gym leaders, without at least coming up with a decent strategy and follow it through. i only said this because i had never tried to use mons like blaziken and gyarados, since they turn the run that boring. to my surprise, even an amateur like him got past most of the gym leaders on the first try and without giving his best at all. i would occasionally help him, but it would be nothing more than that. all because he got a speed boost torchic and relied on it that hard up until the end.

note that he did have other team members such as azumarill and mons you can get early on the game, though, those hardly matter. if you get a blaziken, the least you have to do to beat the game without any major difficulties are healing items, hm slaves, support/bait mons and a shit ton of common candies. the first few boss/gym battles are a joke if you've got yourself a combusken. even at such an early stage, it can sweep teams and it doesnt need much healing or support to do that. the support/bait mons come into play only later, especially on battles where you have to face mons that have type (and whatnot) advantages against blaziken. in singles, slightly weakening one or two mons that blaziken wouldn't be able to OHKO is more than enough to allow it to take care of the rest of the team by revenge killing said mons and spamming its stab moves while getting speed boosts, which, after one or two mons down, is enough for it to outspeed the opponent's entire team. another thing that's extremely easy to abuse is how you can predict whenever the opponent is going to use an healing item, and use that as a chance to set up a swords dance (or even bulk up, which it gets pretty early on) while getting a speed boost. in most cases, just one boost will be enough to sweep the opponent's team, and even if it isnt, you can always rely on the support/baiting mons you've got on your party to continuously heal blaziken, allowing it to deal even with mons that would normally counter it with ease. and let's not even mention the shitty mons that can do nothing to blaziken to begin with: those allow it to set up as much as it wants to, making it pretty much impossible to counter afterwards.

on doubles (for example, charlotte's battle), the support/baiting mons are even more hilariously effective. as you set up to sweep, they can either draw attention away from blaziken and die instead of it and/or you can use them to heal blaziken while he's setting up/sweeping. speaking of charlotte, my brother high jump kicked her entire team on his first try (as well as most of the other gym leaders' lol).

take into account that it can do all of this almost alone, only needing some support. now imagine doing a run with mons whose only task is to counter mons that threaten blaziken. im sorry, but if that isnt as easy as game freak runs, then i really dont know what is (not counting with gen 6 exp. share runs, that's even more of a joke).

Edited by MMM

First of all, formatting is your friend.

blaziken without speed boost is as good as infernape (and some other fire-types you can get later on). that said, i wouldnt call it the best choice as a starter. it's still a great one given the first few gym leaders, but without speed boost, it's way more balanced than it is right now imo.

The difference between Speed Boost Blaziken and Blaze Blaziken is that the latter takes one more turn to set up in most cases because you need a turn to use an X Speed. In some cases the one turn makes a difference, but in other cases where Blaziken is getting some number of Bulk Ups against a physical attacker, it's taking so little damage after set-up that the X Speed is practically free. Infernape is substantially worse than all forms of Blaziken because it doesn't have Bulk Up.

can you elaborate on how that is not true at all? have you tried doing a run relying completely on blaziken?

Yes, I wrote a speedrun route about a year ago and am currently in the process of updating it to E15, so I am very familiar with Blaziken's problem areas. (http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9358)

its not something you can do with most mons, and when you can, they usually get axed right away (a good example would be gyarados).

Most Pokemon do not seem to be axed solely because they are too strong; they are axed more because they are too popular. Gyarados is also way better than Blaziken the moment it hits L20 because it gets Dragon Rage at L23, huge stats, and Moxie.

if you get a blaziken, the least you have to do to beat the game without any major difficulties are healing items, hm slaves, support/bait mons and a shit ton of common candies. the first few boss/gym battles are a joke if you've got yourself a combusken. even at such an early stage, it can sweep teams and it doesnt need much healing or support to do that. the support/bait mons come into play only later, especially on battles where you have to face mons that have type (and whatnot) advantages against blaziken. in singles, slightly weakening one or two mons that blaziken wouldn't be able to OHKO is more than enough to allow it to take care of the rest of the team by revenge killing said mons and spamming its stab moves while getting speed boosts, which, after one or two mons down, is enough for it to outspeed the opponent's entire team. another thing that's extremely easy to abuse is how you can predict whenever the opponent is going to use an healing item, and use that as a chance to set up a swords dance (or even bulk up, which it gets pretty early on) while getting a speed boost. in most cases, just one boost will be enough to sweep the opponent's team, and even if it isnt, you can always rely on the support/baiting mons you've got on your party to continuously heal blaziken, allowing it to deal even with mons that would normally counter it with ease. and let's not even mention the shitty mons that can do nothing to blaziken to begin with: those allow it to set up as much as it wants to, making it pretty much impossible to counter afterwards.

Okay, this is overstating Blaziken's effectiveness to a large degree. I'm going to break this down because I've probably studied this more than anyone else.

Combusken does do well in the earlygame, but so do a handful of other starters. Starters are supposed to be very strong in the earlygame because they reach evolution early and usually learn a decent STAB attack at that point. Level leads also matter more earlier in the game because relative level differences are greater when levels are low (e.g., L12 vs. L11 is much more significant than L42 vs. L41), and they're easier to build because the medium slow EXP group has a steep EXP curve at low levels.

However, the Julia battle is nearly impossible without support and somewhat luck-based with a fodder Pokemon for a heal, the first PULSE Tangrowth battle is luck-based without a fodder Pokemon in the wings, and there are various generic battles that Combusken has a chance at losing early in the game (Meteor Grunt Tara's Golbat is a big one).

Moving out of earlygame, Corey is pretty much impossible without support. His lead Skrelp has Water Pulse and his Croagunk has Mud Bomb, neither of which Combusken can set up on. Grinding to evolution into Blaziken doesn't solve that either because Skrelp resists both of Blaziken's STABs. If you trigger the corrosive mist field, Blaziken dies to poison and chip damage before being able to set up at all. You absolutely need someone competent to deal with Skrelp and whatever Pokemon Corey throws out until he sends out Nidorina, which Combusken can easily set up against.

To get the Bicycle, Aqua Gang double battle is difficult without support and one of the Magma Gang battles is essentially an auto-lose because Blaziken can't hit a Flash Fire Lampent (unless it still has Peck fsr). This section of the game is kind of easy, but there are a bunch of random orderlies with Slowpoke that give Blaziken a hard time. Then you get to Shade, who is also an auto-lose because of Flash Fire Chandelure. Off the top of my head, Blaziken has a hard time with Aster & Eclipse on Azurine Island and a dreadful time with Aya.

Later in the game, Blaziken loses to Radomus, needs an Intimidate to set up on Samson, loses to Charlotte, loses to Terra, and probably loses to Ciel. Basically every single one of the tag battles with Aya is super difficult for Blaziken to solo because Aya isn't very smart at helping you out and you have to set up against a pair of opponents. From my experience playing around with E14, I was never able to sweep Charlotte as you described because fodder doesn't last for that long and even if Blaziken OHKOs one opponent, there's still another one that gets a free attack. Her Typhlosion likes to spam Eruption from the get-go, which does a ton of damage to Blaziken even when resisted. So I'm inclined to think that you're greatly exaggerating here or you chanced upon some AI luck, which isn't to be relied on.

Also, late in the game Blaziken relies almost exclusively on 90 hit moves or moves that cause recoil. The risk of HJK missing doesn't stop me from spamming it, but usually if HJK misses, you're pretty screwed because you've lost all of your boosts after sacrificing fodder to revive and heal Blaziken.

Where Blaziken excels is in its ability to quickly dispatch generic trainers, which most other Pokemon can't do as easily. As far as setup sweeping goes, Blaziken is the earliest candidate, but most setup sweepers can trivialize difficult battles once they've found the right target to set up on. In the old route I used a Simple CM Swoobat to cover Blaziken's weaknesses, and I wouldn't be surprised if CM Gardevoir or Alakazam or even Quiver Dance Vivillon are too strong with the right movesets because they can just pick a special attacker and go to town.

take into account that it can do all of this almost alone, only needing some support. now imagine doing a run with mons whose only task is to counter mons that threaten blaziken. im sorry, but if that isnt as easy as game freak runs, then i really dont know what is (not counting with gen 6 exp. share runs, that's even more of a joke).

I've spent way more time routing this game than I've spent routing any other Pokemon game (taking into account proportions of game length). Vanilla Pokemon games are easy; speedrunning White with 0 EXP gain was easier.

Edited by dondon151

Let the record show that Blazekin is the only reason I beat radomus. It took out 5 of the 6 pokes. Also, tell me how Blazekin loses to the fire gym when mine took down almost all of her Pokemon single handedly. Clearly you haven't used it or were using it wrong.

The flying gym, however is a different story.

Edited by TheInnerBeast

Also, tell me how Blazekin loses to the fire gym when mine took down almost all of her Pokemon single handedly. Clearly you haven't used it or were using it wrong.

(Context: lead Pokemon are L15 Glameow and L70 Blaziken)

Firebug Charlotte

- Fake Out vs. Typhlosion, Bulk Up

If Darmanitan used Rock Slide:

- Send out Granbull after Glameow faints

- Use Ultra Potion on Blaziken, HJK vs. Typhlosion

- Send out Diggersby after Granbull faints

If Darmanitan used Hammer Arm:

- Send out Granbull after Glameow faints

- Sacrifice Granbull, HJK vs. Typhlosion

- Send out Diggersby after Granbull faints

If Darmanitan used Flare Blitz:

- Send out Ralts after Glameow faints

- Sacrifice Ralts, HJK vs. Typhlosion

- Send out Diggersby after Ralts faints

If Darmanitan used U-turn:

- Send out Diggersby after Glameow faints

- Use X Speed on Diggersby, HJK vs. Typhlosion

- Improvise from here on out

After this conditional:

- Use X Speed on Diggersby, HJK vs. Darmanitan

- Earthquake (hits Delphox, Ninetales, Blaziken), Brave Bird vs. Volcarona

- Send out Ralts or Carvanha after Blaziken faints

- Swords Dance, use Ultra Potion on Diggersby

- Send out Carvanha or Granbull after Ralts or Carvanha faints

- Strength vs. Rotom

Diggersby grows to L69.

Granbull grows to L26.

Split: 5h 59m

This was way faster and more consistent than just trying to set up with Blaziken and getting KO'd randomly by Eruptions and Flare Blitzes. The AI didn't always pick the squishiest target in E14 and so relying on opponents to KO fodder was inconsistent.

Keep in mind that you lose if HJK misses.

Edited by dondon151

Not gonna lie, you kinda sound like someone giving a sales pitch in that first post, and I find it funny.

This game is almost tailored for you to have go through multiple boring grinds in order to complete it. You can beat the game, but not without going through tedious hassles that I feel make the game needlessly time consuming. My personal opinion of course.

No, it really isn't. Grinding is completely unnecessary; it only makes the experience easier.

Also, there's another thread exactly like this one that was made only a few days ago.

The Pokemon game in general already had a multitude of powerful Pokemon that can shut down entire teams, so the fact that she increased the power of the opponents 2 fold and made the level cap the way it is makes it so that you don't have a lot of creativity as I feel people should have while completing this game. For example, why is there a level 75 arceus when all your Pokemon are like level 50? What "strategy" are you supposed to have versus that Pokemon that isn't supposed to be bad? That battle is definitely a low blow.

Just gonna put my 2 cents in here since i just recently beat said arceus (with a different file mind you) but yes there are so many strategies you can use to defeat the over powered pokemon the most famous possibly being the focus sash + perish song trick. I beat the arceus with my sturdy golem though so....

A famous game designer once said, "Restrictions breed creativity."

And you know what? He's right. With the limitations that Reborn has in place, you need to think outside the box in order to overcome the challenges that it presents to you.

I'm curious. How is the player's creativity being stifled, in your mind?

On another note, my main team had two surefire answers for Arceus, and I didn't even need to change up any members or movesets.