Overrated Pokemon

I've already asked for the most underrated, so let's go to the other end of the spectrum. Me? I'd probably have to go with EVERY DRAGON TYPE EVER!!!!!!!!! Dragon fan-boys treat them like a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard ESPECIALLY Salamence and Dragonite. They're good sure, but not that good. The only exceptions are Flygon since no one uses him :( and Dragalge because everyone rushed straight to Noivern.

Is this even a question? Pikachu, obviously. Give Raichu a mega already! He gets no love, and with Volt Tackle through breeding and Icicle Crash through Cosplay Pika (if GameFreak ever decides to let us breed her) he'd be one dangerous mofo. didiseriouslyjustsaymofoisoundlikeanidiotoml

I'd say Flygon's got a pretty good rep, actually. People are just mad 'cause he doesn't have a mega.

Edited by BreezyPonie

Dragonite is that good actually... and I don't really get what you are saying there... wonder Guard spiritomb? That sounds just as good as a wonder Guard Drapion... or Pachirisu... or any pure electric pokemon actually... (and they can hold a balloon to be kinda immune to everything)

I'd say Lucario (of course, the mega is god damn powerful), but the non mega one sucks... bad ability, frail as hell, nos fast enough... and the fact that both Attack and Sp. Attack are "high" doesn't allow it to be exceptionally good in neither of them. Why put 100 in Attack and 110 in Sp. Attack, when you could have like 60 Attack and 150sp. Attack? :^[

Edited by Vlado Vladimir

A lot of stuff in OU. Azumarill, Wash Rotom, all those pokes that you literally can't go into an OU battle and not see one of them. Thats why I prefer Haydunn wifi battles over shofu's these days, because NU is just much more exciting than OU

Edited by Lord_Ludo

Everything that plagues OU. Azumarill, Wash Rotom, all that trash that you literally can't go into an OU battle and not see one of them. Thats honestly why I prefer Haydunn over shofu these days, because NU is just much more exciting than OU

I'm an RU guy myself, but I understand your opinion.

Everything that plagues OU. Azumarill, Wash Rotom, all that trash that you literally can't go into an OU battle and not see one of them. Thats honestly why I prefer Haydunn over shofu these days, because NU is just much more exciting than OU

But...that's not to be Overrated...

But...that's not to be Overrated...

If i see a pokemon every battle, That means it's overrated, in my opinion. Sure, they can be good, but thats just my opinion. If we're talking about pokemon like pikachu as mentioned above then my bad, but oh well the post is already made.

Edited by Lord_Ludo

In my opinion, the single most overrated pokemon in existence is Arceus. I know what you're saying, " HE'S FUCKING GOD HOW COULD HE BE OVERRATED!!!" Just hear me out on this one. While he may have great stats, he has a somewhat lackluster movepool leaving him with only 2 usable sets: swords dance espeed and support. Both of these sets are good, but neither of them are anywhere close to matching his status as the god of pokemon.

If i see a pokemon every battle, That means it's overrated, in my opinion. Sure, they can be good, but thats just my opinion. If we're talking about pokemon like pikachu as mentioned above then my bad, but oh well the post is already made.

Well, true it's your opinion, but the fact that something is OverUsed doesn't mean it is Overrated at all, Garchomp is used in every single battle II get on showdown, I see it everywhere, but it is not overrated at all, is just that is more useful than most of the metagame, since it can fit 2 or even more roles, like a Stealth Rocker/Physicall Wall, a Wall Breaker, or even a great Scarfer.

Overused: yes. A pain in the ass in every OU battle you can find: yes, overrated: I'd say no. Cute enough: Sorry Garchi :[

photo.jpg

Edited by Vlado Vladimir

Well, true it's your opinion, but the fact that something is OverUsed doesn't mean it is Overrated at all, Garchomp is used in every single battle II get on showdown, I see it everywhere, but it is not overrated at all, is just that is more useful than most of the metagame, since it can fit 2 or even more roles, like a Stealth Rocker/Physicall Wall, a Wall Breaker, or even a great Scarfer.

Overused: yes. A pain in the ass in every OU battle you can find: yes, overrated: I'd say no. Cute enough: Sorry Garchi :[

photo.jpg

Well as Smogon tiers are created based on usage in battles, your points are all valid. I just think that the tier system makes certain pokemon, such as Azumarill and Wash Rotom (I specifically listed these two because they're the worst offenders) seem overrated because they're in such a high tier, even if Pokemon in lower tiers are just as good, if not better, in peoples opinions, which is what this entire topic boils down to.

• Developers

Also Gyarados, who gets destroyed by electric types, considering most electric types out speed him.

PS. I used to love shofu, but I started missing all the catchphrases and stopped watching ;-;

Generally I tend to think that if something is overused is because it is a good mon rather than because it is overrated, but this has a limit; there's a point after which some mons keep being used just because they're deemed as superior by players without actually considering it, just because of how used they are. In this way, I don't consider Pikachu or Lucario are overrated: their images are exploited by GF, but people doesn't use them much because they're not deemed as super powerful.

Overrated pokemon, to me, are things like Charizard Y (as already mentioned by someone, stealth rocks pretty much kills it), talonflame (yeah yeah, gale wings, flare blitz, brave bird, blah blah blah, is so fragile it will go down to a combination of stealth rocks and water type...), Garchomp (people tend to think "got a garchomp on my side I'm gonna win"; yeah...no, garchomp still goes down to any ice type that outspeeds it, and Togekiss renders it useless for its standard set), Salamence (might be all the powerful you want in its mega, but ice beam/blizzard in hail still obliterates it; even behind a sub, sound based fairy type moves or pixilate echoed voice cripple it very much) and to some extent, Landorus (good as a lead, maybe, but much like most of the other mons I consider overrated, it goes down pretty easily to a single move, ice beam).

I just want to battle with my favorites QwQ

Though since my teams are all over the place, I can only play in 'anything goes' by smogon/showdown standards

Which leads to me to fight full on legend teams allllll the time

Overrated wise...things like Charizard :T obv.

Certain megas are seeing this light recently.

I've already asked for the most underrated, so let's go to the other end of the spectrum. Me? I'd probably have to go with EVERY DRAGON TYPE EVER!!!!!!!!! Dragon fan-boys treat them like a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard ESPECIALLY Salamence and Dragonite. They're good sure, but not that good. The only exceptions are Flygon since no one uses him :( and Dragalge because everyone rushed straight to Noivern.

I don't even like Dragonite and I prefer Flygon over Salamence. Looks like we're under the same boat but Noibat > Noivern > Dragalge > Skrelp any day :P.

Dragonite is that good actually... and I don't really get what you are saying there... wonder Guard spiritomb? That sounds just as good as a wonder Guard Drapion... or Pachirisu... or any pure electric pokemon actually... (and they can hold a balloon to be kinda immune to everything)

I'd say Lucario (of course, the mega is god damn powerful), but the non mega one sucks... bad ability, frail as hell, nos fast enough... and the fact that both Attack and Sp. Attack are "high" doesn't allow it to be exceptionally good in neither of them. Why put 100 in Attack and 110 in Sp. Attack, when you could have like 60 Attack and 150sp. Attack? :^[

What if Gamefreak introduced double abilities and Eelektross got Levitate + Wonder Guard? :P The most OP pokemon in existence!

Edited by BlackMage

According to certain opinions posted here, any pokemon with a X4 weakness is overrated. Allow me to rebut that.

Usage is a detrimental factor one should bear in mind when saying something is overrated, however if the pokemon in question fits its role well enough, people will use it or... overuse it for that matter.

The Zard bros are magnificent in what they do, and that's mainly wallbreaking and sweeping. I do not think they are overrated. What you see is what you get.

Garchomp is an awesome utility tool, who was unlucky enough to see his mega evolution be worse than the normal form. As correctly mentioned before, in good hands, it can fill multiple distinct roles, or even be a mix (eg SD and SR in the same set) for an extra surprize factor. Overrated? Yes, because it got a huge fanbase due to this ability, people use it recklessly and get furious when this (objectively awesome) pokemon doesn't do well.

Currently most things in OU are not overrated. They are there because they can fit certain roles and needs. Some that are overrated belong to the BL tier, because some people deemed them to be too dangerous for UU. Klefki, Victini, Venomoth could be used in UU without centralizing or breaking the meta, at least in my opinion.

Others I deem overrated: Abomasnow, Blastoise, Houndoom, Hitmonchan