What do you think is essential in a team?

star-kin

firstly, I am not sure if this is the right forum for this to be posted at- or if this has been discussed before- so I apologize in advance if I've made a mistake.

so, the title says it all. what do you think is most needed in a team of Pokemon? maxed out IVs? a Pokemon holding a mega stone? something that has never been experimented before, that'll completely blow your opponent's mind (stares at Pachirisu)?

share your thoughts below!

Well, quintessentially, the most important aspect of a team, is well -- the way it's established. The balance between offensive, defensive and utility aspects that display adequate synergy to cope effectively in most if not any situation. Pokemon in a team need to cover the gaps within their weakness through each other. Unless you're something say Mewtwo versus a game of non-legends, synergy and proper devising always beats any sheer strength.

i agree team work is the theme and is the best one at it means if you want defence offence speed throw in a team of rayquaza garchomp salamence dragonite kingdra giratina notice anything same weeknesse now if we have something like baton pass calm mind espeon charizard y chlorophyl venasaur solid rock rhyperior hitmontop and a electivire all would benifit and work in harmony as switching in one on to another covering each other weeknesses would be much better now if you just want a wall a counter a hazard setter a tank and an all out offence you can take all from a group and mash it in but no point if they all have the same counter all same setup

The first thing you have to think of when putting together a serious team is your strategy in mind. To win is a terrible sole strategy. Ask yourself how you will do that. Will you use set X on Pokemon Y or vice versa. Also it usually depends on the tier. Anything that does not give you pre-made teams, such as Randbats and Battle Factory are all up to you. First off, try "monkey-see monkey-do". Study what others do, see the combos, see the strategies, see the Pokemon people use. Secondly, try out unusual things for yourself. For instance, Imposter Ditto. You can never go wrong with Inposter Ditto, because you can copy an opponent's stats, set, and ability. Just remember you won't win every battle. Losing is a part of learning. Learn what synergizes, like entry hazards and Roar/Whirlwind, or VoltTurn switches.

At least one entry hazard is usually important to a team in my experience: Once an entry is out, people are more apprehensive about switching out pokemon nonchalantly.

I feel every time should have at least, minimum, one sure-fire way to confuse an enemy pokemon. Confusion is incredibly high up there on my list of most disruptive things to any win-condition ever. I like to get both confusion and paralysis into my roster whenever possible: neither are required for a powerful team, but I've found having at least one Sabotage expert on your term, that can set off confusion and paralysis and stuff, is often the key to winning more difficult matchups,

star-kin, you said you are currently not into competitive battling, but this is primarily a competitive battling section. If this is a thread about competitive battling that's great, but if it's not (which is also good) I'll move it to the Reborn section -> Team Showcase

I usually have a balanced team, but hax is my favorite thing to have! Thunder Wave is probably my favorite competitive move!

I also occasionally experiment. I've seen a comment on a video suggestion a Choice Specs Furret, which could be fun to use...

star-kin, you said you are currently not into competitive battling, but this is primarily a competitive battling section. If this is a thread about competitive battling that's great, but if it's not (which is also good) I'll move it to the Reborn section -> Team Showcase

no it is about competitive battling though.

I guess i forgot to mention i go on Pokemon Showdown occasionally, since it's easier to set out teams there.

What's essential in a team? Pokemon of course!

Joking aside, I agree with some of the points made here already, especially with Noir. The beauty about competitive battling is that there are so many ways to go about building your team that sometimes it's just overwhelming. Having some sort of core tactic/theme in mind helps focus your teambuilding. This may be a certain Pokemon or two that you want to use/show off. Once you have that in mind, think about their weaknesses. Where do they lack? What are their counters? Once you know these things, think about which Pokemon support your core in such a way that these counters can be dealt with.

For example, you may want to build a team around Quiver Dance Volcarona. What are its weaknesses? Well for one, Stealth Rocks so make sure you have a spinner on your team (or someone with Defog). You may also consider adding a Rain Dancer/Drizzle Pokemon on your team to abuse Hurricane on Volcarona. This of course reduces the effectiveness of any Fire type move your Volcarona could have.

On the topic of entry hazards, again you should pick them depending on what type of team you're trying to build. If you want to go for a stall team (why would you, those are SO BORING) then perhaps you may want Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes to make stalling easier. Because you'll be putting up so many hazards, your opponent will be looking to spin them away as soon as possible so you may want to put a ghost type on your team to block the Rapid Spin.

TL;DR: Pick a Pokemon or two that you really want on your team and build your team around that core.

This goes back to the basics. You should check Slant's and Skitty's guide which is pinned in this very subforum.

Make sure you use pokemon you like, depending on the tier. Then focus on offensive and defensive synergy. The easiest team archetype to use is balanced, so go for that now that you begin your career in competitive battling. Try to find roles for your pokemon. A team is not just 6 individually strong pokemon grouped together. Good things to have when making a team are:

1) A hazard controller - this pokemon puts hazards on the field or removes them from your side or both sides, or both. Essential in most teams, as chip damage can be proved detrimental for the outcome of the battle mid-game. It's also harsh to see your fire, bug, ice, flying pokemon to lose huge chunks of their HP from Stealth Rock, so Rapid Spinners or Defoggers are your best bet. A pokemon with Magic Bounce can also fit the role, but if rocks make it to your side, magic bounce cannot account for much.

2) A WALLBREAKER - this pokemon has the ability to dish huge damage, often without setting up. Great to deal with Walls that focus on outstalling you, getting your life bit by bit, while healing themselves with Recover, Softboiled, Synthesis or even with Wish (dangerous as it can be passed around).

3) A Wall - this guy can be physical, special or both. It focuses on stopping the opponent's attacks on one spectrum at least, so you can stop their momentum and build yours. Remember that when playing, you want to establish your rules on the field and make the opponent play your game, not the other way around.

4) The Speed - if not playing stall, this one is in every single team. It's a pokemon that either has great base speed, has priority, or is scarfed. Works if you need something that got too fast too soon gone, or to scout for moves. Usually those carry U-turn or Volt-Switch, to be able to deal some damage, while almost certain that their speed guarantees they hit first, and go away so something bulkier can take the hit. Hit-N-Run.

More roles are there. You might want to check smogon's lists of roles too.

What I like to have in teams that are more balanced is 1 or 2 pokemon that work as support for the rest of the team, crippling the major threats and allowing the sweepers and wallbreakers to do their job without much resistance. Usually paired with a pokemon that can set up in terms of speed.

Here are some things I usually check for when I analyze my teams.

• Make sure you have synergy, obviously. I prefer offensive synergy, because you don't have to worry about your own defenses as much, but rather how many things you can check/beat/handle in the meta game. I feel like defensive cores can be easily worn down, but that's just me.
  • Always have a Stealth Rock user. Spikes/Toxic Spikes are ok, but Stealth Rock is a definite must with all of these shitty Talonflame and Tornadus-Therian running around. It doesn't just check flying types. It also helps break Focus Sash, and gets chip damage every switch in.
  • Defog/Rapid Spin is cool, but completely optional depending on your team structure. I like to use offensive Defog/Rapid Spin users like Latios and Starmie, but nothing too passive like Mandibuzz and Tentacruel. It just doesn't suit me, although you should use whatever is necessary to have the best team structure, offensively or defensively.
  • Have a flying counter. If your team is going to get stampeded on by Swords Dance Talonflame, than it's a bad team. Try to avoid having zero checks to bird sweepers.
  • Make sure you have plenty of ways to beat stall teams. Try not to have zero stallbreakers and avoiding losing to pink fat mons. They know who they are. If you're team can't handle stall, try to make more aggressive plays or have a more immediate threat to Stall teams, like Mega Gallade, Gengar, and Kyurem-Black.

These are some of the things I look for when I build my teams. Obviously there are more threats that should be covered, but I usually have a default check/counter to many things in this current meta game when I'm building teams. I hope someone can apply these tips to someone's own teambuilding.

IMO if you go into a team builder and start making a team based off checking off things you think you need instead of building a team yourself, you're going to have a bad time(in styles other than stall that is).

You need to start with your win condition(s) and work backwards:

• How do you get rid of counters to the win condition(s)?
  • How do you safely switch them in?
  • How do you wall against main threats to the win condition?
  • Is hazard removal needed for your win condition(s)(Ie: Dragonite and Volcarona hate Stealth Rock)?

It's really nice to have all of the things that people have listed above, but more thought is typically needed when constructing a powerful team. Just my opinion. :]

Edited by Lil' Baby Rupe

I am generally one that throws the competitive jargon, checklists, and synergy out of the window - throw darts and see what sticks with the only stipulation being that

"Real Pokemon Trainers try to win with their favorites." - Karen, Johto Elite Four

So, the first thing I would say is find Pokemon you like.

---

From a teambuilding aspect of "what do I need to have" - Rupe is absolutely right in that the most important need on any team is the Pokemon that will seal the deal and win you the match. More often than not (and depending on the situation, this may change throughout the match after a certain amount of plays have been made) Your win condition has a good chance of being the Pokemon -YOU- want to finish strong - meaning it's a 'Mon you like almost by nature as well.

1. Find -one- Pokemon you like.

2. Find the set/team members that would enable it to be the win condition for your team.

• 2 weeks later...