Do you Think Video Games Have Had a Significant Effect on Your Life?

EluriaMendes

As the above topic states, has any video game changed your outlook on things or anything of the sort, whether it is a positive or negative change?

For me, Persona 4 was very good in that aspect, the idea of taking your flaws that you hid and using them instead as your strength was a huge impact. It showed me that I can accept the bad, with the good, because that's what makes us who we are. Accept yourself before you wreck yourself, haha.

Video games in general have helped me a lot with social-ness. Believe it or not, I actually struggle a lot with people IRL (you know, like everyone else on the internet) and I've been able to connect with people through games, mostly Pokemon

Even moreso, gaming led me here. And here is where I met awesome people, first fully expressed myself as a young woman, and met the most amazing girl in the world

Well I don't know if they contributed in a positive way on the development of my personality, but surely they have impacted negatively my experience at university. Games like the Disgaea series, the Persona series and, of course, Pokemon are so addicting, that I spend the bulk of my days playing instead of studying, with predictable results when exams roll...

Yes kind of. I can't describe, but it have some effect on me.

(Edit) Alright the good and bad.

Good for get something away from boredom.

Bad for my addicting of playtime. Like too much.

I could write a lot more and more complicated, but i'll stay this simple for now.

Edited by ShingSt

Well ya. Fantastic music to listen to, art styles that stick to me forever and ever, stories and charcters that I will never forget, and something to look forward to and escape the Drama every day life can bring. I also met tons of great people in my life by playing video games, attending Video Game events, and discussing gaming with various new faces. I met Maelstrom by playing Super Smash Bros. against him at my local Anime Club. And playing smash with others was my biggest drive for attending my local Anime Club. If I never went to anime club, I would have never played Smash with Mael. If I never played Smash with Mael, I would have never met him. If I never Met Mael, He and I wouldn't have discovered that we share so many interests and hobbies such as Movies, Music, Comics, Anime, and Video Games. In return he and I would have never talked about Pokemon which would eventually lead him to introducing me to Pokemon Reborn (or Poke-Place as it used to be called.) If Pokemon was never a thing, Mael would have never met Ame, Ice, and many others to cofind this community and create a place for us to all come together and create this place that many find to be a home away from home.

So ya... Video Games gave me Identity, Friendships, and sometimes even, a home away from home. Whether that home is Pallet Town, Hyrule, Pandora, or of course here, where you will always be... Reborn B)

Oh absolutely no question about that. I probably could go on about how video games have effected me at one point or another, but I think one of the big ones is that they're a stress relief. I used to have a very short temper and pretty got angered over anything. When I started playing on the N64, I actually started to calm down quite a bit. I still remember that I could only play video games over the weekends and literally would try to up my grades so they wouldn't have an excuse not to let me play on it. It's kind of funny how they led to me being this calm and gave me very high grades in the long run.

Ohoho where do I start?

I played videogames from a really young age. With a PS1 being my first console and Gameboy coming at around the same time.

My parents were generally really busy and came home late most of the time so I'd either be watching Nat Geo documentaries with my Grandfather or playing video games.

A HUGE collection of PS1 games were Japanese and as such, I was heavily influenced by JRPGs. Wanting to be the hero, doing the right thing, helping others, hard work and dedication. It really shaped me into who I wanted to become. It also made me fall in love with music from the amazing soundtracks and story writing with the crazy plots. JRPGs also made me a masochist :/

Then there's this MMO called MapleStory. Spent a good 5-ish years playing that and it really brought me the most warm and comfortable feeling. Doing Party Quests with random strangers and forming a bond and friendships with people. Being with Guild members and spending time together doing nonsense is the best thing, period.

Also, I was introduced to Visual Novels at 13 years old and BAM suddenly I was a pervert. Nah, not really, I dunno, I'm confused.

Where was I? So anyway, video games - big part of my life.

Well video games have helped and hurt me. There's no question that they have signifigantly effected me.

Games were a big bonding point between my siblings and I and we always used to sit down and play some Star Wars: Battlefront or KOTOR or Mario Kart and we had tons of fun together. Games have taught me all sorts of valuable lessons about perseverence and even the daily grind of an average life.

But of course, I would say I got very much *too* into video games, to the point where I got addicted to some and ended up giving into the urge to "Pay-to-Win" once. Sicne then, I have felt deep regret over the fact and vowed to not allow such simple urges to compel me. Games are fun and they ought to be played, not payed for repeatedly until you win. Also games sometimes cause me to loose focus on reality and that's kinda bad at points. I am working on finding a happy medium.

I think it's impossible for anyone these days to have not been affected by video games, however small the difference they made (unless you never played video games, of course).

But for me, it was the quest to get Milotic in Pokemon Emerald that taught me patience. Before, I was just as impatient as any other kid at that age, and ever since I'm the most patient person I ever met.

Games, they have a profound effect, something that is quite unlike many other things. Though people bond over movies and other media, nothing quite galvanizes them to quite as gaming does. They seek out places related to the games they love etc... finding people they might not have otherwise in life. They are just something that people can enjoy together and forget how crappy life can be for awhile. The do a lot of something that is considered a past time. And it will only get more and more profound as games truly start to explore what the medium really can do. There are games out there that jsut make you feel things. Mother 3 probably being the best example, but I don't want to talk about it at all. To do so would ruin it, but it really hits home in places and it shows just how good a game can be and how truly possible it is for them to make people feel other things than just entertainment. Games, once they mature as a Medium could be very powerful tools.

FOr a more personal example, games gave me something to when I was fighting my depression. While it wasn't the only thing they gave me something to fill the time and not think about it. They got my mind away from hating who I was ((which I very much did for a long time.)) for even a sort amount of time. They were a big part of that. They have also found me so many friends and some of the best people I have ever met. Some of my closest friends I found trough gaming. They are like family to me and I am so glad I found them.

• Support Squad

Believe it or not, I actually struggle a lot with people IRL (you know, like everyone else on the internet)

Speak for yourself

games have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember really, Because of that, a lot of the ideologies and messages put across by these games, especially that black and white, good and bad concept, became big impacts on my own development. If I never got games like Kingdom hearts, pokemon, Jak and Daxter and the like I genuiney believe I would be far worse off as a person.

I mean, originally I played games because they were the only thing that could really occupy me for more than two days but as I explored the games with the stories, RPGs which infamously took ages to beat, alongside my pursuits of reading I got sucked in and now my dream has been fashioned alongside my continued desire to be a part of these games and stories.

Games are an integral part of my identity and who I am can be traced back so very easily to games.

Some people say games are bad, they encourage violence. I say fuck 'em, Games gave me everything.

In GTA V I've been standing up to people who say they're gonna beat someone up like for example: Someone said they're gonna knock out every person they see I said: "Try me I bet I can take you out" lol people have been saying to me that I've been acting really tough lately.

Edited by XavierFTW

Video games have impacted me mostly well. Only negative thing was getting addicted to it, but that was never really much of a problem until things started getting rough with the classes in high school. I feel like my way of thinking was definitely affected by the stories in video games like The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts, Metro, and Pokemon. Video games also lead me to make some friends by either talking about them or playing them together. Since it lead me to make some friends, I eventually made some friends that I'm sure that I'll know for the rest of my life.

Edited by IronWraith

I played games for more than half of my entire life (and will continue to do so) of course something as addictive/interesting affects your life (in many ways). Some of the games i've played were simple brainless "stress relief" and some had a story so beautiful (RPG for the most part) that it affected how i see (and interact with) the word. After all this every time i hear a person (who never even played) talk about how videogames are bad and make you violent i begin to feel the need to strangle them but then i realize that it's useless and just ignore.

oh yes! i am who i am from them.

• i learn how be control my anger from legend of zelda
  • learning strategy from pokemon
  • learning how to deal with a long project
  • that a person can change for better or worse
  • there sometimes isnt a happy ending for everyone
  • and to make due with what you got.

Let me start by saying that whoever would decide to make fun of me for playing video games, I'd just flip them the finger with a nasty look and walk away. They know nothing of the rich world of gaming.

I started playing video games from an early age with the standard gaming consoles of the time and a Nintendo 64. I mostly played with my sister and the memories will stay with me forever.

Gaming in general to me is something that has helped me in various aspects. It let me explore new worlds and even cultures, it made me feel like I could walk in the shoes or lack thereof of an adventurer. As I moved to online gaming , that only helped me grow further as a person. It allowed me to meet new people from all over the world, thanks to gaming, I was able to communicate and practice, as well as perfect my knowledge of the English language. It allowed me to grow from a shy person to someone who opens up a bit more and it allowed me to many times escape reality when I needed to. Anyone who plays games can learn a lot by doing so. There are many games with historical settings and events that a person can study from. Certain games teach you how to be responsible (i.e. pet simulators, even sims) Through gaming, I've been able to meet many people who have remained my close friends even today(lookin at you Dashie), I even met the love of my life in a game. All in all, games have been a big part of my life and so it shall remain until I no longer have the will to play. I think nobody should be denied the opportunity to play games if they wish to do so and I believe that it's not the games that make some people do crazy/violent things, but rather, it's the lack of good upbringing from the parents.

I guess I should end this rant here o3o

Edited by Masquerain