Pokemon Apotheosis Discussion, Ideas, You name it!

Alright so some thought has gone into the starters and thinking about it I decided I would instead start a straw poll here: http://strawpoll.me/4305418

Going over them in detail: Gen 1 starters: The classics. Abilities aren't broken af (Torchic, Snivy, Froakie)

Gen 2 starters: Same argument as gen 1. Although Sheer force Totodile and Flash Fire Cyndaquil. (shudder)

Eevee: Pretty self-explanatory. However if this were the case, I'd probably have to do something about friendship maxing out at gym 1. I may need to make Umbreon and Espeon only available by Moon/Sun stone respectively and Sylveon will be a whole different story. Idk what to do with it tbh :P

Mienfoo, Purrloin, Espurr: Two pranksters and a regenerator. Broken af amirite? Well not quite. Liepards usage will probably drop quickly as more dark types become available, and Meowstic male isn't the best on its own, as it needs support to help it fight most of the time. Mienfoo is where things get interesting. A lot of people will probably see it as broken because it gets regenerator, it's pretty fast and also hits kind of hard. However you're forgetting. It doesn't get a damaging fighting type move until level 29, and it evolves at level 50, so its usage could die just as quickly as the other two.

Finally the reveal of our first gym leader. It's:

Sir Petrus: Dark hair, 31 years, White, Male, Blue eyes. He is the lowest ranked gym leader and he is proud of it. Being the normal type gym leader is no easy task, what with all the diversity it holds. However, many assume normal types true potential lies within their final forms. Petrus disagrees with the variety of Normal types he'll bring into battle against your character. He displays great prowess and knowledge of the type on the battlefield despite being considered weak amongst others. However he has one downside. He is a rich, snooty, and arrogant one, living in his mansion. What else do you expect from a rich man?

I wouldn't leave you guys with just one gym leader though. So welcome to the stage:

Ire: Blue hair, 48 years, White, Male, Blue eyes. Leader of the nation of Solemn and a dictator in every sense of the word. Came to power after the previous leader had died 3 years before. Has enforced harsh laws upon the citizens and wishes to enslave the other colonies in the hopes of converting them to the light of his religion.

With that, I'll be off. Get voting people :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really conflicted on this, but eevee wins out over gen 2 for me....if only by a little bit. (My love for Colosseum/Gale of Darkness and the fact that I played Gale recently makes me pretty biased towards it.)

Edit: If eevee is chosen: For it's evolution, I would recommend the stone system used in Gale of Darkness where the player is given a choice to pick one of the stones that evolve it from an event. Sun/Moon/Leaf stones could be changed through essentials to also allow eevee's evolution, and I would imagine that adding an icy and fairy stone would be pretty simple(A universal eevee evolution item might work too, but I'm not entirely sure how that would work). Maybe also add a max friendship requirement to this so that the player will be rewarded for not letting it faint too often. Of course for this to work though, you wouldn't be able to give the player any stones before this event or they could evolve it early.

Edited by DragonMasterKrim

Regarding option Eevee, balancing out the evolutions would be an issue. You may have to modify some of their movesets. I'd also imagine you'd want all of the evolutions to be available at around the same point during the game. There should also be some sort of reward for keeping Eevee un-evolved until after a certain plot point.

No comment on the other options.

An additional option: Go with a Rock/Flying/Grass trio instead. I suggest Tirtoruga/Yanma/Cacnea. Tank/Speedster/Raw Force. All not very commonly used Pokemon, all two stage evolution, and they all possess a 4x weakness to the counterpart that's super effective against them (although Cacnea doesn't gain Dark typing until after evolution). They all also evolve at roughly the same time. While Tirtorgua evolves about 5 levels later, it definitely has the best pre-evolution moveset and abilities, while Yanma has a pretty terrible start without the help of TMs despite having Speed Boost, and Cacnea is rather average. I see all of them retaining viability later in the game as well.

Just a quick reminder that voting ends in 2 days on Sunday... Probably will be at 4 PM EST or somewhere around then... And with it, more characters and announcements. Enjoy people :D

Edited by Pyrrhon

Alright welcome all to the next important update for what's going on with Pokemon Apotheosis. Currently development is a little slow and has mostly been limited to character and story development, but that hasn't stopped me from doing other important things for you guys :D

First off I'd like to say that some characters and gym leaders are now set in stone. These ones being our: Normal, Bug, Poison, Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Dragon and Steel gym leaders (not in that particular order ofc).

They have been planned, put into the story and have been given prototype teams and other things. However speaking of gym leaders, as some of you know I recently posted a sprite of a purple Serra on my status right? Well with a few more edits done to her soon, her sprite will be done, but lets introduce the character as, Can you guess it?...

It's not Kindle actually. In fact it is

Lady Solana: Purple Hair, 25, Pale, Female, Purple Eyes: Daughter to a rich family who has since claimed the fortune and business after her parents passed. Her sister ran away in jealousy of her sister, when in fact, Solana had always been jealous of her. She blames herself for her sister running away and follows her example by becoming a gym leader. In secret, Solana steals money from her own business and gives it to those residing in the alleyways, homeless and scared. After bonding with the many people and pokemon in the alleyway, and in remembrance of her sisters last words to her before she ran, she became the poison type leader.

Wow. Pretty nice. Totally won't be sad and depressing when we get to her in game and her story right? Right. :D

Anyway, have two more characters just for waiting so long.

Dr. Parks: Blonde, 32, White, Male, Brown eyes: The electric gym leader and top scientist of the island Vyrn. He hopes to make the island more notable (As I said it has little of note) by creating a mechanized helping and working society. He leads the project in the hopes of modernizing Vyrn and making it a safe place for all. However something is off about him. He may in fact have a screw loose and may want to lead the whole world into this safety he wants. In order to do this he creates his own personal assistant and AI the Global Protection Defence Juggernaut or Jugger for short.

Jugger: No hair, Age unknown, Silver body, No gender, Red eye: The AI created by Parks to defend and help those in need. Unfortunately not all robots are without their flaws. He still has kinks in his system that Parks is yet to even find and can sometimes short out for no reason. He also serves as the backup leader for Parks in case he is ever out on an errand.

I wonder how those two will fit into the story... Well actually it may seem obvious to some of you, but I have quite a bit planned for these two.

Also towns and routes. They're nice right? Well I'm honestly a little short on names. I was thinking of naming them based off of the periodic table, but that doesn't fit the theme of the game all too well. Also I planned to name routes, but that may have to be dropped too unless I can come up with clever names.

Eevee will be the starter as it got 15 of 33 votes. Nearly half of you voted for Eevee with the kitty triangle just behind with 12 votes. Eevee's final evolutions will most likely be available after the 3rd or 4th gym leaders where the level cap will be somewhere in the 30ish range. I am also making sure that there hidden abilities will not be available until after either gym 6 or 7. That's a hint for you guys who want to know when ability capsules will make an appearance *nudge nudge*

Anyway with the last announcement I may as well give away who our first gym leader is like I did already, but it's Petrus. I have a preliminary field effect for him right here:

The Rich Estate: Lots of shiny things oh my.

Normal type moves gain a 1.2x damage boost in the field.

Fire type moves burn carpet and heat glass getting a 1.1x damage boost.

Rock Moves shatter expensive vases and scatter glass on the field causing grounded pokemon on the target side to take 1/16 damage each time they switch. They also get a 1.1x boost in power

Fighting moves will shatter glass as well and get a 1.1x boost in power.

Sleeping pokemon wake up in 1 turn if glass is shattered.

Final Gambit has a 20% chance to OHKO opponents no matter what.

Psychic Moves are reflected off of mirrors and hit for 1.2x Damage

The following moves do 1.3x Damage

Foul Play, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Punishment, Payback, Brick Break, Revenge, Rock Smash, Chatter (Fooking gabby rich people >>), Astonish, Bone Club, Bonemerang, Dig, Bulldoze, Magnitude, Earthquake, Rage, Slam, Heavy Slam, Tail Slap, Head Smash.

These moves do 1.5x Damage

Pay Day, Thief, Covet

The effects of these moves have been changed

Tail whip lowers defense by 2 stages. Flash lowers accuracy by 2 stages. Sharpen increases attack by 2 stages. Grudge will lower a moves PP fully and deal 1/4 health to target. Happy Hour triples prize money after battle. Mirror Move will boost copied moves power by 1.2x. Spite now cuts 5 PP from a move. Taunt and Torments effects last for 5 turns.

Yeah that's kind of a lot for the first gym leaders field huh? Well you do see it more than once. Tell me if you think anything should be nerfed or changed. Also I know what you're thinking. Wow rock types and fighting types will do good here. Yeah they will... Too bad most of them will be available after this gym. Oops.

Finally I would like to welcome some new members to my staff... Of course I won't say their names unless they want me too.

That's all for now. Toodaloo~~~

Edited by Pyrrhon

Eevee will be the starter as it got 15 of 33 votes. Nearly half of you voted for Eevee with the kitty triangle just behind with 12 votes. Eevee's final evolutions will most likely be available after the 3rd or 4th gym leaders

I regret voting for the brown fur ball.

I am also making sure that there hidden abilities will not be available until after either gym 6 or 7.

Son of a...

Well, as far as I can see (Which is not very far), it's looking very good :I

I'd love to help you, but... i'm not good for anything ;-;

Well, the least I can do is cheer for you and hope you make it. Soo...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Edited by Vinny

It's ok Vinny. As I said, I actually have some people who are willing to help me. Although I don't want to say their names unless they want me to. I mostly feel it is their decision.

I'd also like to ask, do you guys feel like I did fine balancing out Eevee here? I'm rather concerned as this could make or break beginning game difficulty.

Edited by Pyrrhon

Well, one of them is me. I'm fine with people knowing so long as I'm not pestered about it XD As I said before, I don't have a ton of background with rpgmaker so it's going to be a learning experience for me, and I'll admit that I'm probably going to ask for help from those more knowledgeable at some point. In the meantime, at least I can make (what I think) are pretty good mono-type teams, right?

Hey ok this thread has been inactive for a long while due to finals and shit, but lucky for you guys I have a lot of characters to reveal. So here they are!

Jeremiah: White hair, 62, White, male, grey eyes: The ice leader of Reveran. Lived a cruel, cold and unforgiving life. His birth parents were killed at age 3, he was abused by the adoption center that took him in and was abused by his adoption parents. Was chastised to no end in his lifetime. He has since isolated himself from society and is one of the hardest gym leaders to make contact with, let alone see in person. Often ends peoples league challenges as he is nearly unfindable...
Douglas: Black hair, 15, white, male, brown eyes: Child who belongs to the orphanage. He was taken in after his mother died during his birth and his father gave him away. Training pokemon is his only passtime, but he must do this in secret as pokemon aren't allowed to be used outside orphanage grounds for orphaned kids. Each orphaned kid gets exactly 1 hour each day to roam the city if needed. Douglas is madly in love with Lizzy and would do anything to impress her, despite his status and the conditions he faces.
Byrne: Black hair, 42, Tan, Male, Blue eyes: The current tribe leader of Theran and a low ranking gym leader. Care taker of Sal after her parents left on a mission into Solemn and never returned. Specializes in the bug type and is skilled in the art of stealth and camoflauge as he prefers a non-violent life style. Would protect Sal over his village as it was her fathers last request.
Drakon: Blue hair, 19, Black, Male, Red eyes: The young new leader of Draknid and one of the highest ranking gym leaders around the region. Is forced by his heritage and roots to use the Dragon type as it is the strongest type and will help him defend his people in their time of need. However he wishes for change. The colony is being split into two: Those who want change, and those who don't and Drak is caught in the middle trying to piece them all back together.
Paola: Black hair, 30, White, Male, Brown eyes: Short for Paola L. Enranged (An anagram for Edgar Allan Poe ) A raving poetic lunatic who lost his mind sometime between becoming the reserve dark leader and becoming the dark leader. His most recent poetry is made up of incoherrent babble. Some have theorized that is a religious message. Some say he is trying to cry out for help. Most agree though that he is just insane. Sometimes when trainers enter his gym... They never come back out. He is hiding a secret. The question is, are you insane enough to find it?
Finally: Dusk: Black hair, 12, Darkish body, Female, Red eyes: The ghost type leader of Reveran. Killed by her mother at age twelve and has since haunted her home and now gym. No one is quite sure how she acquired the gym leader title. Is very shy and only appears for people she likes. Has seen dark things in the abyss... Horrible things.
Lastly, I've been doing some mapping and currently have our intro maps and first city done. Now all that's needed is scripting and eventing in them :D
Also sometime after finals, I'll be revealing more characters and our first town :D Get hyped maybe?
P.S. If any of you want to help me with this project that would be cool. Suggestions are nice as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey remember how I said religion would play a pretty big role in this game? Well here is something for you:

qqir2LS.png

Just a normal Quagsire right? But with an ungodly amount of holy blessings and power, you get

zoEKR4y.png

Behold a Divine Quagsire. In pokemon Apotheosis, certain pokemon that have enough holy energy put into them will become divine pokemon. This will increase their strength to God-like levels. Quagsires old base stat total was 430. Well multiply that by about 1.5x and you got it's new stat total (it's not actually 1.5x btw, but that's pretty close)

Now I know what you're thinking. These are OP, will we be getting them, when will they be in the game, etc. Well for one, you cannot get them unfortunately, it will be explained in the story. There will only be a few of them too so don't worry all too much about that. I won't explain why they are here however. To truly know we would have to ascend beyond...

Anyway look at this thing:

v8v6Q4C.png

Looks pretty menacing now right? right? Yea not really. But watch this!

zam6Le1.png

Behold a demon shiftry. What makes demons different from the divine?

Well for one, they cannot be controlled. Secondly they recieve their power from Giratina. With this I'd also like to bring up something else. Fairies cannot become Demons as they are pure of heart. Dark types cannot become Divine as they are not pure of heart. Ghosts are a touchy topic, but I've decided to allow a few to become holy... This doesn't stop them from becoming demons tho.

Anyway that's all the announcements for now. I may bring some more character reveals and sprites soon. In fact I actually do have a character and sprite to show off soon so that will be nice. Until then keep it clean guys.