Best villain?

Jacobliterator

Best Villain... I don't think there is a BEST villain, there are only favorites :P

some of my Favorites are:

Amon the fallen Xel'Naga (Starcraft Series)

Amon is a god-like being... that has fallen to the dark side.

The Xel'Naga created the Protoss and the Primal Zerg and everything went happy-go-lucky in the Galaxy... until Amon decided that everything was too happy... so he created the Overmind and twisted the Primal Zerg into his private Army... the Zerg Swarm under the command of the Overmind to destroy every living being.

However... the Overmind became self-sentient but laid low so that it's great master doesn't suspect a thing... after the Battle of New Gettisburg the Overmind ordered his swarm to bring him the last Woman standing of that Battle - Sarah Kerrigan - to make her into his own secret-sleeper-agent - the Queen of Blades.

Kerrigan should command the Swarm once the Overmind falls... to lead the swarm against Amon himself.

However Kerrigans mind was influenced by Amon, due to the Overminds connection to him, and Amon got glimpses of the Overminds plan through Kerrigan, and began to create even more vicious creatures... the Protoss-Zerg Hybrids... unstoppable beings, with the Hive-Mind and ruthlessness and adaptability of the Zerg and the Psionic Powers and intelligence of the Protoss - just in case Kerrigan really went rogue on him.

Which would later happen when Kerrigan got de-zergified by the efforts of Jim Raynor and an old Xel'Naga-Artifact. De-Zerged Kerrigan lost her connection to Amon and later learned to stop Amon she would need to return to being the Queen of Blades to command the Zerg Swarm against Amon.

In Short: Amon is an evil god-like bastard, who is out on destroying every living being in the universe. And plying all mortal races against each other, while staying in the Shadows... waiting for his time to strike personally.

-------------------

Mario, Princess Peach and the Toads!

I hear you furiously asking: "WHAT? Mario and Peach are the good guys!" (except Shadow Peach in TYD and Mario in Wario Land... but that's not what I meant... They are the BAD GUYS IN EVERY GAME!

For those of you who don't know the theories / full story... let me explain:

It all starts with the original Super Mario Bros. - The Mushroom Kingdom is attacked by the "evil" Koopa Kingdom and Princes Peach TOADSTOOL is kidnapped, and Toads are transformed into Blocks by Magi-Koopas/Kamek.

Mario sets out to rescue Peach... and the first enemy he encounters is not a Koopa but a GOOMBA! Which is a Mushroom! THE ORIGINAL Inhabitant of the Mushroom Kingdom, who fights the Toads and Peach Toadstool with the help of Bowser to reclaim their homeland!

Yes! That's right! Goombas are the rightful owner of the Mushroom Kingdom and they seeked help from Bowser and his Koopa Kingdom to get rid of the intruders aka Peach and the Toads!

Peach Toadstool is the root of all evil... SHE spreads the toads... the Toads are nothing more but a viral infectious mushroom that spreads violently!

To stop them from spreading all of the wolrd, Bowser decided to put a halt to them, by snatching their root (Peach) and transforming most of the Toads into blocks!

The Toads ask Mario for help... the ONLY human in the whole Kingdom... because the evil Animal-beings kidnapped their Human-looking-Mushroom Queen... and Mario is just a puppet in the hands of the Toads... and since Toads easily spread they don't care about him breaking/killing their transformed bretheren.

The 2D (2 1/2D) games all follow the same premise with peach getting captured... because Bowser wants to give the Mushroom Kingdom back to their rightful owners, the Goombas!

But it's always the Toads that enlist Mario (and occasionly Luigi) to help them get Peach back... and in the Wii and WiiU games even some Toads accompany them to make sure they get their Evil Queen back!

(also Mario totally ruins Bowsers vacation on Isla Delfino during Sunshine... Bowser was just taking a hot bath and Mario sends him down the vulcano... when Bowser Jr. was the one causing trouble... talk about being a huge jerk)

As some the others have said, Airy, Wesker, and Sephiroth are some of my personal favorites, but I need to throw in a handful of my other favorites.

Maxwell from Don't Starve appears as some sort of puppet master, pretty much messing with your character while they struggle to survive in a Tim Burton like world. If you go into story mode/adventure mode, you begin to learn that Maxwell might not be the true master, and in the end, you find him broken and defeated on a throne of darkness. Your only choice in the end is to free him from his suffering, and because of that, take his place.

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder isn't really a full on villain, but Dark Souls makes him a final boss. The once proud lord of sunlight, reduced to a hollowed husk of his former self, Gwyn's battle is tragically beautiful, as a sad piano plays in the background as you try to free his burnt soul.

The Cats from Battle Block Theater. Come on, their evil kitties, what more could you want.

Merasmus from Team Fortress Two is less of a villain and more of a victim, seeing as one of the playable characters ruined his life by destroying his castle, burned his body, and stole his heart medication. Now, Merasmus is spending the rest of his life in prison for killing Tom Jones, which his old roommate actually killed.

The Car that Hit Jason from Heavy Rain. Must I go on?

Finally, I need to give The Narrator from the Stanley Parable some credit, seeing as he is one of the most enigmatic villains I know of. Sometimes, he wants to help you, and to lead you on a journey, while other times, he flat out tries to murder you for failing to follow his specific instructions.

I'm sure I'm going to think of some others, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Edit: (Spoiler) I can't believe I forgot Detective Fullbright from Ace Attorney Dual Destinies... While I usually can see most twists coming from a Phoenix Wright came, that one caught me off guard.

Edited by Combat Medic

To name a few of my favorites, some of which have been (or still are) represented by my avatars.

Kayaba Akihiko (Sword Art Online) - Call me an insane psychopath, by I can legitimately empathize with the man, as in, I understand why he did what he did, and if my morals weren't as good as they are, I might be tempted to do the same, given the option. I found him to be a super interesting and relatable character, even though he only has a few actual scenes in the anime.

Genesis Rhapsodos (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7) - He gets criticized a lot for some reason, but I just loved this guy. He's got an awesome design appearance-wise, and I love the connections he makes between Loveless and the world they live in. He had an interesting story and was a character I loved to see.

King Richard (Tales of Graces) - While he isn't a villain for the entire game, he spends the majority of it as an enemy. He also has a great character design, and I loved the voice acting he had. The whole game had me rooting for Richard to come back.

GLaDOS - I consider GLaDOS to be one of the best characters in all of video game history. She's got an amazingly hilarious, condescending personality that make her so unique among characters. GLaDOS alone is what takes a good game like Portal and makes it great.

• 4 weeks later...

My favourite villain would have to be N from Pokemon Black and White. I mean he's not really evil and isn't much of a villain in the end but briefly he is. Not just a villain but a king of a cult-like terrorist organisation. It's pretty cool. Plus his backstory is cool and he's one of the most developed characters in pokemon. Other than that....Lysandre maybe?

I consider N the best pokemon rival, with Cyrus as best villain(although Ghestis is my favorite).

In fighting games, it'd have to be Rugal Berstein, Yuuki Terumi/Hazama, and Quan Chi. Geese Howard, BB Hood, Jedah, Heihachi, Nightmare and M. Bison are up there too.

For RPG:, Ramirez from Skies of Arcadia, Dark Force from the original Phantasy Star saga and Sho Minamimoto from TWEWY.

Robotnik is a classic one for sure, as is Bowser.

My favourite villain would have to be Aldiun from Skyrim.

Many villains come close but what makes him stand out for me is his death.

Watching him desperately flail and cry out in a mixture of panic and rage as his soul is literally ripped out of his body really gives you the feeling that you just killed a tyrant who saw themselves equalling gods.

It's an awesome moment and makes having to chase him into the elder scrolls equivalent of Asgard worth it.

GLaDOS from Portal has to be one of the best bad guys out there. Also, Kuro from Ori and the Blind Forest. GLaDOS has such a unique story behind her and she's so funny. And Kuro? Her back story made me cry.

Can't decide my favorite so I'll just list a few I like

Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank- hopefully no one will ever fix that glitch hes got going on

Dr. Eggman from Sonic- Started liking him more since Sonic Colors

GLaDOS from Portal- Just a funny whenever shes mocking you or Wheatley

Sho Minamimoto from The World Ends with You- I want this guy to be my math teacher XD

Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising- I love almost every line of dialogue from him xp

Clockwork from Sly Cooper- The first boss I fought in my childhood that actually really intimidated me. Kinda creepy too.

Chief from Armored Core V- Hilarious and really odd. Don't know who built him since I guess hes an AI of sorts, I'm not sure entirely, but he was pretty cool.