Writing topics

DesignedByAnubis

I am wishing to get back into writing. I usually write post-apocalyptic stories, vampire stories and some poetry XD yes poetry lol.

I would like your guy's help to come up with topics and i will try key word TRY to incorporate them all one way or the other,

And If you'd like to be in the story just say so with a alias you'd like for your self.

Why vampires? They're kind of overdone and stale at this time. What appeals to you? The idea of immortality and eternal regret? The perpetual cycle of losing everything to time while you remain? Or is it the smooth lip service vampires are said to learn over such long years that they use to seduce people? Cuz you know... they couldn't have been learning/doing something else as well. Or is it the random, OP powers some artists like to ascribe to vampires who have lived a long time without actually giving a mechanism explaining any such increase in power. Alucard anyone?

Do vampires exist because of a curse or magic? How does that work? What are the limitations? Why? What was the purpose? To what end? Given the personalities among reborn, what do you they would accomplish for themselves after a few centuries of life? Who would be in conflict with whom? Who would win and why?

If you would write, you must answer many of these questions first. You must flesh out the lore of your works, make a solid foundation for whatever you wish to create with it.

I don't think that speech (as well said and personally agreeable it may be) was what he was asking for. Just suggestion for theme/plot.

As for me I'm also a fan of post-apocalyptic scenes. However zombies while an obvious option are admittedly overdone. So I suggest the next best thing dystopian future! Forget natural and biological disasters. Sometimes people just snap. Survival of the craziest. In my opinion, that's way more fun.

I don't think that speech (as well said and personally agreeable it may be) was what he was asking for. Just suggestion for theme/plot.

As for me I'm also a fan of post-apocalyptic scenes. However zombies while an obvious option are admittedly overdone. So I suggest the next best thing dystopian future! Forget natural and biological disasters. Sometimes people just snap. Survival of the craziest. In my opinion, that's way more fun.

Well, if you answer the questions, it kind of leads into the direction of a theme/plot.

Dystopian futures are pretty common nowadays too. Oblivion, hunger games, the giver, etc, etc, etc.

One idea for a story I had was called Lost Planet, a play on "Lost World." In a far futuristic world, the entirety of mars has been terraformed and seeded with life. Specifically, Jurassic era life. Run by [insert name here] corporation, big game hunters pay big bucks to visit the planet and do their thing. On one such expedition, things go terribly wrong.

I'd like to see you (or anyone here) take that idea and run with it.

Well, if you answer the questions, it kind of leads into the direction of a theme/plot.

Dystopian futures are pretty common nowadays too. Oblivion, hunger games, the giver, etc, etc, etc.

One idea for a story I had was called Lost Planet, a play on "Lost World." In a far futuristic world, the entirety of mars has been terraformed and seeded with life. Specifically, Jurassic era life. Run by [insert name here] corporation, big game hunters pay big bucks to visit the planet and do their thing. On one such expedition, things go terribly wrong.

I'd like to see you (or anyone here) take that idea and run with it.

IS THAT A CHALLENGE

It's a nice idea Mael. Though it would be difficult unless you can properly explain the technology behind both the terraforming and revival of dinosaurs.

As for the terraforming, it's probably enough for a story to mention that it happened without going into the particulars. One could get more creative with the particulars of what it was terraformed to.

Is the whole planet uniform? How much of it is covered in water? Is the terrain divided up by mountains, valleys, bodies of water? Is that by design to maintain specific habitats? Does the company profit off of products derived from the prehistoric botanicals? What kind of facilities do they maintain planetside to monitor and harvest plants and animals? How are the facilities manned and how are they protected from the creatures? Do those systems have safeguards/failsafes? How complete was the genetic material used to clone the dinosaurs? Were any specifically modified in some way? Who else is allowed to study/work planetside? What kind of experiments are being conducted and what kind of technology is being tested? Who else would be interested in acquiring those things? What kind of gear is available to the hunters? Do they restrict themselves use of some technology in the interest of making the hunt more sporting? Are specimens being raised and bred to fight/kill each other for entertainment/gambling? Is such activity legal? How many ways could things go wrong? How much is a T-Rex tooth worth? What about dactyl wing leather boots? How have people as a society and as a species changed in this time? Does the technology enable us to do more with less or is it a crutch that has replaced some kind of developed skill?

Really, handling the level of technology I think is integral to whatever plot you choose to create and you should use it to define and tailor the story's conflict.

It also depends on how you plan on writing it through characters and development or exposition. Depending on that you many not need much explanation or you might need a lot more. If you're going through the lives of characters you only need to keep up with what they would know. An average guy might know less about the situation (be it dinosaurs, vampires, zombies or whatever else) than a soldier or scientist.