Martial arts?

Alaris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome. I really want to pick up boxing. Mael and I are going to start when he gets out of the army. Though I wish I had started way sooner. Kendo is cool too

I'm really eh about kendo. At least the kendo club w/e they had at unm. They were charging a good amount for like two lessons a week each month, and it was very clear that for like the first month or so, it was all going to be practicing on footwork and stance, and there were uniform stuffs to buy and equipment and it just wasn't worth it. Not with that guy teaching it. So we did the one free introductory class and never went back.

The fencing club on the other hand, had all the gear already, didn't require us to buy things or pay for lessons, and you got some basic instruction and learned things as you sparred with other new members and older ones. It was way laid back and friendly, unlike the super serious, super strict kendo thing. I think anywhere else would probably be a better place to learn it.

Can't wait to get back to my athletic roots. Army did it's best to quash it but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've got black belts in Sambo and Judo. Very similar styles, although Sambo emphasizes counters and escapes over anything else. It's a very "sit back" style unless you're an aggressive fighter. I learned Muay Thai striking from my classes, but I don't have any kind of formal rank in it.

Sambo is just a really cool style in general. Used by the Spetsnaz and emphasizes economy of movement and strength rather than intimidation, although there are several techniques that are meant to appear brutal to dissuade additional attackers. It's a lot of fun and relatively easy to learn, and you don't have to be in superb shape to use it effectively.

Am I allowed to skip all the belts and go straight to black? I ain't got 7 years to spare. :feelsgn:

XD Well, to be fair, I practiced it for 7 years. I got my black belt after four. However, the people who practice in Korea get their belt in like one year, so you could always look into that. :]

I found my spear boffers right where I left 'em.

So... who wants to spear fight?

You can use a spear if I can use a sword and shield!

I've only practiced myself. Never really got lessons so didn't learn grapples. But if I see something that looks possible for me to do in tekken then I practice that until I get it perfect. (My back roundhouse is very strong, and I only mess up 1/20-30 times) I can kick and punch with great accuracy and agility, and despite my size (220lbs (99.7kg)) I'm very quick and nimble.

When it comes to weapons, I practice sword and shield mostly, but have dabbled in bo, spear, fencing, kendo, and sword dagger combo. (can't do nunchucks except for a few small maneuvers)

You can use a spear if I can use a sword and shield!

I've only practiced myself. Never really got lessons so didn't learn grapples. But if I see something that looks possible for me to do in tekken then I practice that until I get it perfect. (My back roundhouse is very strong, and I only mess up 1/20-30 times) I can kick and punch with great accuracy and agility, and despite my size (220lbs (99.7kg)) I'm very quick and nimble.

When it comes to weapons, I practice sword and shield mostly, but have dabbled in bo, spear, fencing, kendo, and sword dagger combo. (can't do nunchucks except for a few small maneuvers)

Sword and shield? Sounds good to me. That would probably be one of my preferred sets if I had those boffers (shield bash ftw). Be warned. As much as I enjoy the range a spear gives me, I will absolutely close in and use close combat techniques if given the opportunity. Like... trips, throws and chokes. Or body blows if I don't like ya.

Because of their size and the fact that I'm going to be on a plane... I'll be leaving my spears here in Texas. For now. If I can get them mailed to me before I leave the army and go on my epic road trip, I will bring 'em up and we will have a go at it, Jericho.