[Sign-ups] Brailens Gifted RP

Felicity

Almost definitely. There is a reason there are 0 Spells that do that in D and D. If you could shape metal....you could turn a man's armour into a deadly weapon. ((basically skewering him into tiny bits without even trying, and no way for him to even avoid it.)), not to mention the many many other things you could do with it.

Yeah, I have to agree with Huk on that one. I was going to go for a PC with magnetism which would be absolutely OP if I designed it like that. I thought of a very interesting concept when I was designing her and I'll see if Dobby approves of it or not (I always have a backup). The real issue is that Metal Bending is that it is almost always a guaranteed victory without effort. If you want to do something similar, I'd go for an earth type power.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it is why I changed the way Earth Templars in Graterras quite a bit. They used to get the power control Metal, much like they do with Earth.....however, it is kinda O.P. just as that. So, I changed it to only working on raw, unformed metal. ((basically, if the Metal has been made into a tool, or armour already [basically, anything other than it's natural form.], it can't be effected. However, they could still effect Natural Metals, and pull say, iron from the ground and create something to hurl out of that or other types of metal.)) this way, there is no...well i just turn his full plate into blades, or warp his sword to stab him.

@Typhlosion, accepted, but bear in mind that since the reset of Mankind, a lot of the world has changed, so there are some plant species not known and I won't allow you to control. Also, I'll say that you can mutate things more the bigger and more complicated the original plant is. So, a vine can be mutated more than a flower, and a flower more than grass etc. This is just so that you aren't literally making a plant army out of each individual blade of grass.

Hmm, perhaps i should put restrictions on Desmond's powers, after compering with the other's gift, he seems OP that he can summon an entire forest with a snap of his fingertips. how about the plants that Desmond summon decays faster(lets say a minute or so.) unless you got a better idea.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Name: Emelia Vanderton (Sometimes goes by Elliot)

Race: Caucasian

Appearance: Green eyes, long black hair, and around 5' 8''. She wears a green shirt and brown pants in normal weather, but a long black coat for colder weather/nights. Whenever she's out in public, she usually pulls her hair under her shirt to make herself look more masculine (sometime she wears a mask in a duel or battle to conceal her gender). In addition, she carries a knight's sword for her left hand and special magnetic sword in the other (explained in backstory).

Personality: Has a strong sense of pride and usually holds a serious look on her face. If you challenge her to a duel, she will never back down not even if there's no chance to win. Once you get to know her, she is actually quite friendly and nice, but her pride does make her a bit stubborn sometimes.

Gift: Magnetism. Her normal limit is that she is only able to slow down movements of somewhat light metal objectts such as swords within an arms reach. Whenever she has the magnet sword in her hand, she is able to shift metal objects a little bit such as shifting a metal tipped arrow to fly a little ways away from her or flinging a steel sword to the right a little bit. If a sword were to cross with this sword, it would be completely stuck until Emelia stops using her power. If she uses all her power at once, she'll only be able to bring a fully armored soldier to his knees for a few seconds.

Backstory: Emelia grew up in the military quarter as a normal child without any gift. Once she hit 18, she left home to learn the way of the sword. Most people laughed at the idea of training this scrawny girl or were afraid of what might become of them, but one eventually accepted the challenge and took her in as an apprentice. She spent the next two years learning how to fight in combat, until she came into a fight where the opponent's sword deeply wounded her right arm. While she could still wield a sword in the arm, she could only pull off a few, slower swings with it. Her master was about to give up until he noticed her doing something very odd. She was just barely moving a metal coin without even touching it. Her master thought of a very surprising solution to the problem.

Over the next couple of years, Emelia relearned everything taught to her about the sword, but for the left hand instead of the right. It was a bit weird at first and she often had to hold the sword with both hands at the start. She eventually figured it out and it felt surprisingly comfortable. During this time, the master went down to a blacksmith and ordered a very special, lighter weight sword for his apprentice. This sword looked pretty normal except for the black color in the center of the sword which he nicknamed the Magnet Sword before giving it to Emelia. He eventually taught her some tricks in which he thought were help make up for her handicapped arm. Once Emelia reached 22, her master deemed he could no longer teach her anything else and dismissed her.

Now on her own, Emelia began to search for work as a mercenary. That line of work didn't seem to be paying as much as she expected so she began taking on other jobs just to be able to eat a decent meal every day. Her favorite method of gaining money is betting people in a fight. She tries to stay honorable in a fight using her regular sword, but sometimes cheats by using her gift when she's desperate for money.

Additional Details: Emelia takes no shame in her gender. She only pretends to be a man so that her opponent won't hold back.

Edited by commander218

• Support Squad

Would the power to shape metal like clay be OP?

Well, Metal is quite rare, seeing as it was a substance used up before the Reset, like Gotwalas piano. Most Guardsmen will be wearing Leather, and all weapons are made of wood from a tree that adapted itself to be like metal. (Yes, it's very difficult to harvest and treat)

Hmm, perhaps i should put restrictions on Desmond's powers, after compering with the other's gift, he seems OP that he can summon an entire forest with a snap of his fingertips. how about the plants that Desmond summon decays faster(lets say a minute or so.) unless you got a better idea.

Just go with what I said. The bigger the plant, the more complicated you can go. So, for example, you could have grass grow and ensnare an enemy, whereas with a vine, you could create a part that expels noxious gas. Then,if you encounter a normal tree (Yes, metal ones are out of bounds) THEN you can make something similar to a golem. This is by far the most open ended power that anyone has put forward, but it's also the easiest for me to manage.

@Commander, I'm going to allow the armor, but you're gonna get mugged ASAP, any metal armour is very rare, and if you had said full plate, I would have said no. As for the magnet sword, in this new world, a lot is possible. Also, I'm going to say so that it's all simple, the metal tree wood has magnetic properties

Why? Science.

Furthermore, the OOC/IC will probably be up over the weekend. Just so y'all have an ETA

@Commander, I'm going to allow the armor, but you're gonna get mugged ASAP, any metal armour is very rare, and if you had said full plate, I would have said no. As for the magnet sword, in this new world, a lot is possible. Also, I'm going to say so that it's all simple, the metal tree wood has magnetic properties

Why? Science.

ROFL. I actually considered not having any armor at all in the first place. I'll change the attire a bit, but the rest will stay the same (unless there are other issues).

None that I can really see, but it seems like she grew up in the Military Quarter due to her training, so maybe specify that?

Should be fixed now. (Yeah, I just wasn't sure which quarter to put her in). Having a world with few metals will definitely be interesting.

Here's a second sign up of mine that Sergeant Dobs approved via PM

Name: Elemus

Race: Asian

Appearance: 5"11, Dark Brown eyes. Well built body and quite fit.

714111372Elemus.PNG

Personality: Elemus is cynical and somewhat misanthropic to a slight degree. Believing that People use each other and that there are no such things as "Good Samaritans" or the like, only people who are doing things that happen to further their own interests, regardless of whether the pursuit of said goals might be for better or for worse. He honestly doesn't care that much about the city's politics believing that it honestly doesn't matter who leads since Society will always find some way to endure and adapt since people will...well, always come together and try to use each other in order to achieve their own goals easier. (The only thing that could really make him care is if his own methods of getting what he wants were impeded...) He'll standby his world view without a problem, and won't hesitate to own up to the fact that he too is using people just as fast as he'll point out how others do the exact same thing. He's out for himself first and foremost, and possesses a good degree of foresight. Doesn't have any moral qualms with killing others if he thinks it's necessary for the pursuit of his ends.

Gift: Can make tangible, temporary copies of himself using the light waves in the area around him, essentially making it possible for him to be in multiple places or doing multiple things at once. There is a limit to how many he create however, up to three, and the more he makes, the difficulty in maintaining and controlling all of them will increase. In addition, the Solidness of the clones he can create depend on how much light he can gather from around him. He primarily relies upon sunlight, but can also use moonlight and artificial light, though Clones created from the latter two will be significantly less physical than those made with the former, resulting more in "Phantom" like apparitions than something that could pass for an actual person. He can also store Sunlight that he's gathered to make Dopplegangers from it later, but it's purity/ intensity will decay at an increasing rate over time, becoming completely useless for his Cloning ability after a few hours of being stored.

Whenever he gathers light, the area or the source he draws from is always dimmed and can't be used again unless relit/ a certain amount (Usually hours) passes and the light returns. The size of the Area that dimmed/ how hard it is to relight an artificial light source, IE a torch, from drawing depends on how much he takes.

The Clones themselves are capable of performing actual physical actions if made from Sunlight or strong artificial light, but are no more than apparitions and are restricted to little more than delivering messages and scouting if made of Weak Artificial light or Moonlight (Though he can choose to make an apparition even with sunlight if he wants.)

Backstory: Survived on the streets for most of his child hood, before managing to manifest his Gift and subsequently being discovered for it and sent to the School. The hard lessons he learned in poverty and the slums stayed with him ever since though, especially the first one; Everyone uses everyone else, plain and simple, and bitching about it gets you no where. After Graduating he took up Hunting game and selling the meat to butcheries as a way to make cash, easily able to confound prey with his Doppleganger ability, giving him more than enough time to finish it off with his Bow skills. Though he mainly hunts, he also has several... less than legal things on the side that provide income as well, leading to him going to certain lengths to try to know whats going on in the city, as a measure to help protect his side businesses and own interests.

Shortly after beginning hunting, he came across an older man in the wilderness who was outnumbered and about to be mauled by a wolf pack. Using his ability, Elemus dispatched most of the pack, and scared off the few survivors. Grateful for the help and wanting to pay it back some how, the older man revealed himself to be a tracker whose partner had perished earlier, and offered to enter into a partnership with Elemus; he tracks down the Game, and Elemus takes it out. The hunter accepted, discounting the old man's gratitude as simply not wanting to piss him off and get killed like his beastly assailants had. He and his Partner, Rom, came into the Employment of the Blood Siblings a few years ago, forging a contract with Leon Blood that provided that all the two of them had to do was provide them with the furs from all Game he killed, in return for them giving him a certain fixed labor wage along with a monthly wage dependent on how many furs he brings in. After just a few interactions over payment, he saw through Lucille's act and deduced her to be blind. following Leon's... conversion, He once caught Lucille practicing her Gift, ending up revealing his own shortly after in an effort to calm her down and shut her up, but struck a deal with her; she keeps his secret from her brother, and he'll do the same with hers, something that served both their interests. He is beginning to tire and become annoyed of Leon's fanatical and never ending preaching though... to the point where losing a huge meal ticket of his might actually be worth it...

Additional: Very Skilled with the Bow and Arrow, as well as with a knife. His Tracker partner, Rom, is not involved in any of his... less than legal activities. Elemus isn't very fond of the old man despite Rom's efforts to be friendly, and doesn't really try all that hard to talk to him when they're not on a hunting job for Leon, keeping him at arms length encase he someday needs to chose between his partner's survival and his own. He is the only person who knows of Lucille's gift besides herself, and he and Rom are among the very few who know she's actually blind

• Support Squad

That is an incredibly interesting Gift that I'd love to see be put into action. Just give it a set AoE and specify if you create the sense of pain or use existing senses of pain.

Im a bit tardy but my character is coming together.

EDIT: Done. Lemme know if everything looks alright. From a quick skim of the RP thread it looks like I could slip in without too much issue, since my character would have just sort of looked on and tried to ignore the mass of people around him.

Name: Thomas Farland

Appearance: 1.84 meters (or about 6 ft, if prefered), black hair, brown eyes, has a somewhat hunched back when standing

Personality: Has a very strong sense of justice, sees only "good" and "bad people" and doesn't divide humans into any other categories. A calm thinker who tends to analyse all possible outcomes before making actions. Doesn't express emotion very often and is a bit of an introvert.

Gift: The ability to manipulate sound waves. He is able to create a space where sound can be manipulated in many ways.

One of them is being able to create a high-pitched tone in a small space that can leave the target dizzy and tired, thus allowing him to get close somewhat easily. The space is only about enough for 1 person to hear, and the tone lasts for about 10 seconds.

Another is the ability to simulate the voice of someone they know, in order to trick an unsuspecting target, thus allowing manipulation. However, if used for more than 9 words, the rest becomes difficult to discern and cuts off, thus not being usable for long messages. Cannot be used on the same person if that person has been affected by that ability in the last 24 hours.

His own hearing sense is powerful, and can hear even the slightest movements, breaths and other sounds, which can help him in many situations. He develops this ability at the age of 25.

Finally, the last is emitting a powerful blast of sound that can deal significant damage to the target. This leaves them weakened and gives Thomas a good opportunity to strike. Furthermore, this ability can shatter certain solid objects.

Backstory: At the age of 4, Thomas' mother was killed by an unknown criminal. He was raised by his father, who worked as a police officer. Because of his father catching criminals, his sense of justice developed at the age of 5. He dreamed of influencing justice throughout the city, and turning it into a better place. This idealology made him some enemies. There were rare times when he was scared or angry, and would emit a blast of sound when under these emotions, which he always kept inside him until he couldn't take it. However, this mysterious power didn't frighten him, it made him happy. It meant he could serve justice more efficiently.

In his teenage years, he did independent research into crime in the city. He never published it, because he knew that he would then be easily targetable, and would probably be killed. He kept the research to himself, so that he could learn the patterns of the unjust and wrongdoers. He also chose to train himself to use long-ranged weapons, and has decent accuracy when throwing items, such as knives, and is capable of using the crossbow. He didn't want to rely on his powers too much, as he wasn't able to use them very well yet.

At the age of 19, he got a somewhat good idea of what he could do, but was not any closer to gaining good control over his powers. He began to look up to The Scales, the goverment party that influenced law throughout the city. At the age of 27, his story begins...

Additional Details: Very agile, can climb simple buildings and objects, and is capable of running fast. He learned this during his endeavors in elementary school against the bullies. Also has a strategic mind, but on rare occasions he overthinks certain situations, thus throwing himself into loops or doing something illogical. Also, he has low physical strength, and is not good with hand-to-hand combat. Because of this, he got his preference of long ranged weapons, and is able to use them effectively. He only enters close combat if absolutely necessary.

Edited by Red'sCharizard

At the age of 16, he got complete control over his powers. He knew when and where to use them, which one to use, and precisely how effectively. He joined The Shield at the age of 22, and got very close to the leader of the organisation.

Additional Details: Very agile, can climb simple buildings and objects, and is capable of running fast. Also has a strategic mind. However, he has low physical strength, and is not good with hand-to-hand combat. Prefers long ranged weapons, and if close combat is necessary, he uses his abilities to get close and finish off his target.

I'm not Dobby, but I'm sure the thing in red is not okay at all. You can say you side with a party, but I really doubt it'd make sense to be a full member (especially how the RP is starting out.

The markings in yellow are kind of cautions as that leaves little room for growth and improvement. Perfect characters or ones who start at their peak are hard to keep interesting over a long period of time.

The markings I wrote in blue are things that just aren't clear enough. Maybe he's a thief who had to learn to move so quickly. Maybe he steal food just so that he doesn't starve and uses his powers to help with this. I'm only saying thief because most of what you described would work well with that type of person. (speed, has to have a bit of intelligence/high knowledge of the area or would've been caught by the cops a long time ago, etc).

The only other thing I seem to have skipped over is that your PC has the ability to murder characters using his power. That's a no-no because of how OP it'd be in one-on-ones. These are more suggestions as Dobby has all and the final say in any application in the RP.

I'm not Dobby, but I'm sure the thing in red is not okay at all. You can say you side with a party, but I really doubt it'd make sense to be a full member (especially how the RP is starting out.

The markings in yellow are kind of cautions as that leaves little room for growth and improvement. Perfect characters or ones who start at their peak are hard to keep interesting over a long period of time.

The markings I wrote in blue are things that just aren't clear enough. Maybe he's a thief who had to learn to move so quickly. Maybe he steal food just so that he doesn't starve and uses his powers to help with this. I'm only saying thief because most of what you described would work well with that type of person. (speed, has to have a bit of intelligence/high knowledge of the area or would've been caught by the cops a long time ago, etc).

The only other thing I seem to have skipped over is that your PC has the ability to murder characters using his power. That's a no-no because of how OP it'd be in one-on-ones. These are more suggestions as Dobby has all and the final say in any application in the RP.

You make some good points, i'll fine-tune it. Thanks for the tip ^_^

Also, he can't be a thief, since that would go against his sense of justice. Just to point that out.

Edited by Red'sCharizard

• Support Squad
Appearance: 1.84 meters (or about 6 ft, if prefered), black hair, brown eyes, has a somewhat hunched back when standing
Personality: Has a very strong sense of justice, sees only "good" and "bad people" and doesn't divide humans into any other categories. He hates to lose, and is easily driven by his emotions, particularly anger. However, when calm, he has a mind capable of making difficult decisions in the most rational way possible. He has been known as a good strategist.
Gift: The ability to manipulate sound waves. He is able to create a space where sound can be manipulated in many ways.
One of them is being able to create a high-pitched tone in a small space that can leave the target dizzy and tired, thus allowing him to get close somewhat easily. The space is only about enough for 1 person to hear, and the tone lasts for about 7 seconds. Cannot be used on the same person if that person has been affected by that ability in the last 24 hours.
Another is the ability to simulate the voice of someone they know, in order to trick an unsuspecting target, thus allowing manipulation. However, if used for more than 9 words, the rest becomes difficult to discern and cuts off, thus not being usable for long messages.
Finally, the last is emitting a powerful blast of sound that can deal significant damage to the target. This leaves them rather weakened and gives Thomas a good opportunity to strike.
Backstory: At the age of 4, Thomas' mother was killed by an unknown criminal. He was raised by his father, who worked for the The Shield government party. Because of his father catching criminals, his sense of justice developed at the age of 5. He dreamed of becoming a member of The Shield as well, and hopefully avenging the death of his mother. It was around the age of 7 and a half that he first discovered something unusual about himself. Whenever he was scared, or angry, he could emit a blast of sound close to himself. He noticed this when he was fighting some of his school's bullies. He heard the sound himself, but it didn't scare him. It made him happy that he could be an ally of justice. In his teenage years, he considered himself as a vigilante, and fought against those who made life difficult for other people. He was not very successful, but continued to do so, pursuing his ideals. Over that time, as he learned that he could not fight injustice head-to-head by merely charging into combat, he decided to take more rational approaches. He did some independent detective work, and at the age of 15 he was considered a great ally to his home city. The goverment did notice irregularities about what he could do with sound. He was trained to use long ranged weapons so he could defend himself, in case any criminal approached him. He proved to be very good with the pistol.
At the age of 19, he got a somewhat good idea of what he could do, but was not any closer to gaining good control over his powers. He has, however, applied to join The Shield, and at the age of 27, his story begins...
Additional Details: Very agile, can climb simple buildings and objects, and is capable of running fast. He learned this during his endeavors in elementary school against the bullies and others that caused Also has a strategic mind, but tends to overthink certain situations, thus throwing himself into loops or doing something illogical. However, he has low physical strength, and is not good with hand-to-hand combat. Because of this, he got his preference of long ranged weapons, and is able to use them effectively. He only enters close combat if absolutely necessary, or when he is driven mad by his emotions.

Okay, Better from what you first had, but i'm going to pick out the flaws in this one. A lot of it is just lore-related or just makes me think of a sueish character, so it should be easily fixed.

First, the green: Thats all fine, but don't limit yourself so much. The idea behind this RP is that people select their own Gift that they use with creativity to overcome their obstacles. Lethality has to have a limit, as commander stated, but it isn't out of bounds, so long as you don't guarantee a kill.. You don't have to get rid of it all, but those parameters may as well be omitted. For examples, look at the other Gifted notes, only the really abstract had a few more lines than normal.

Next, the yellow. The Shields have no say in the police department, aside from the motion they put forth recently to allow Gifted into the force. Maybe you meant the Scales though, they definitely align with your Justice theme more.

Now for the Orange. These highlighted areas are examples of What I expect from a Sue character. There's a topic on the RP section that explains what these are. First, he is strategic and rational when calm, but is easily influenced by his anger? That's an immediate juxtaposition that I myself made when I made my first RP character. It just doesn't work together and from what I've seen is a very common convention of a sue. Next, his Vigilantism. This isn't something that would be possible, especially with the police force knowing and able to counter Gifted as needed due to having info on every single Gifteds powers. And if it hasn't been said before hand, the reigning crime syndicate has access to these records. This can't work, or he'd be dead very early in his career.

Now we move to Red. Simply put, this is Suism in the way that this Character was Singled out in some way or another, becoming a chosen one. I'm not going to lie, kinda annoyed about this flaw, as I've made it clear in my writings that the Gifted are not liked, and would not be treated this way. It makes me think you just made this character out of the blue and moulded the world to fit him, rather than the other way around. Regardless, I'm going to put it behind us and move on: But this needs to be fixed. No Pistols. Metal is rare, and Gunpowder just as much. I did state the Tech level was quite simple before much tech could be developed, or in this case salvaged, However, I did not specify any thing bout guns, so I'll let you off with that one. Finally, he couldn't have applied to the shields before the events of the story, it was a dream until the time the RP takes place in.

Overall, it's not an ideal character, but if this is your first RP, then this is a good first try. (I was much worse myself). But he still needs some work before being ready for deployment. Capiche?

Okay, Better from what you first had, but i'm going to pick out the flaws in this one. A lot of it is just lore-related or just makes me think of a sueish character, so it should be easily fixed.

First, the green: Thats all fine, but don't limit yourself so much. The idea behind this RP is that people select their own Gift that they use with creativity to overcome their obstacles. Lethality has to have a limit, as commander stated, but it isn't out of bounds, so long as you don't guarantee a kill.. You don't have to get rid of it all, but those parameters may as well be omitted. For examples, look at the other Gifted notes, only the really abstract had a few more lines than normal.

Next, the yellow. The Shields have no say in the police department, aside from the motion they put forth recently to allow Gifted into the force. Maybe you meant the Scales though, they definitely align with your Justice theme more.

Now for the Orange. These highlighted areas are examples of What I expect from a Sue character. There's a topic on the RP section that explains what these are. First, he is strategic and rational when calm, but is easily influenced by his anger? That's an immediate juxtaposition that I myself made when I made my first RP character. It just doesn't work together and from what I've seen is a very common convention of a sue. Next, his Vigilantism. This isn't something that would be possible, especially with the police force knowing and able to counter Gifted as needed due to having info on every single Gifteds powers. And if it hasn't been said before hand, the reigning crime syndicate has access to these records. This can't work, or he'd be dead very early in his career.

Now we move to Red. Simply put, this is Suism in the way that this Character was Singled out in some way or another, becoming a chosen one. I'm not going to lie, kinda annoyed about this flaw, as I've made it clear in my writings that the Gifted are not liked, and would not be treated this way. It makes me think you just made this character out of the blue and moulded the world to fit him, rather than the other way around. Regardless, I'm going to put it behind us and move on: But this needs to be fixed. No Pistols. Metal is rare, and Gunpowder just as much. I did state the Tech level was quite simple before much tech could be developed, or in this case salvaged, However, I did not specify any thing bout guns, so I'll let you off with that one. Finally, he couldn't have applied to the shields before the events of the story, it was a dream until the time the RP takes place in.

Overall, it's not an ideal character, but if this is your first RP, then this is a good first try. (I was much worse myself). But he still needs some work before being ready for deployment. Capiche?

I'll keep trying, and I do admit I contradict myself a lot in the post. And yes, it is indeed my first try.

Edited by Red'sCharizard

• Support Squad

I'll keep trying, and I do admit I contradict myself a lot in the post. And yes, it is indeed my first try.

It's a process. Just follow our advice, and you'll get there, and I'll be glad to welcome you to the RP.

That's wonderful that you're taking part in your first Forum Roleplay! I for one, am glad that you're taking their criticism well. Always remember that any criticisms of your intellectual properties are not personal attacks! All of our efforts are to help out in polishing a precious stone, haha. That being said, feel free to ask me, Commander, A Happy Elf, Murdoc, etc. about whatever roleplay advice you could possibly desire.

• Support Squad
Personality: Has a very strong sense of justice, sees only "good" and "bad people" and doesn't divide humans into any other categories. A calm thinker who tends to analyse all possible outcomes before making actions. Doesn't express emotion very often and is a bit of an introvert.
One of them is being able to create a high-pitched tone in a small space that can leave the target dizzy and tired, thus allowing him to get close somewhat easily. The space is only about enough for 1 person to hear, and the tone lasts for about 10 seconds.
Another is the ability to simulate the voice of someone they know, in order to trick an unsuspecting target, thus allowing manipulation. However, if used for more than 9 words, the rest becomes difficult to discern and cuts off, thus not being usable for long messages. Cannot be used on the same person if that person has been affected by that ability in the last 24 hours.
His own hearing sense is powerful, and can hear even the slightest movements, breaths and other sounds, which can help him in many situations. He develops this ability at the age of 25.
Finally, the last is emitting a powerful blast of sound that can deal significant damage to the target. This leaves them weakened and gives Thomas a good opportunity to strike. Furthermore, this ability can shatter certain solid objects.
Backstory: At the age of 4, Thomas' mother was killed by an unknown criminal. He was raised by his father, who worked as a police officer. Because of his father catching criminals, his sense of justice developed at the age of 5. He dreamed of influencing justice throughout the city, and turning it into a better place. This idealology made him some enemies. There were rare times when he was scared or angry, and would emit a blast of sound when under these emotions, which he always kept inside him until he couldn't take it. However, this mysterious power didn't frighten him, it made him happy. It meant he could serve justice more efficiently.
In his teenage years, he did independent research into crime in the city. He never published it, because he knew that he would then be easily targetable, and would probably be killed. He kept the research to himself, so that he could learn the patterns of the unjust and wrongdoers. He also chose to train himself to use long-ranged weapons, and has decent accuracy when throwing items, such as knives, and is capable of using the crossbow. He didn't want to rely on his powers too much, as he wasn't able to use them very well yet.
At the age of 19, he got a somewhat good idea of what he could do, but was not any closer to gaining good control over his powers. He began to look up to The Scales, the goverment party that influenced law throughout the city. At the age of 27, his story begins...
Additional Details: Very agile, can climb simple buildings and objects, and is capable of running fast. He learned this during his endeavors in elementary school against the bullies. Also has a strategic mind, but on rare occasions he overthinks certain situations, thus throwing himself into loops or doing something illogical. Also, he has low physical strength, and is not good with hand-to-hand combat. Because of this, he got his preference of long ranged weapons, and is able to use them effectively. He only enters close combat if absolutely necessary.

Accepted. Much better in my opinion. Also, seeing as you reminded me, crossbows are indeed a part of the city. Forgot to mention this.

Feel free to have your character go into the school or check up on the crowd.