[IC] Fate/Full Moon

Bfroger6

"He wants me to jump" was Archer's immediate impression of the low sweeping attack executed by the Lancer before him. However past experience with fighting longer weapons has taught him that he will be at an immediate disadvantage if he enters the air. "I'll have nowhere to dodge and his spears length is unsettling."

Instead of jumping the sweeping lance Archer struck downwards with his blade, blocking the spear haft with the flat of his blade. Archer was surprised at the amount of strength required to stop the swing, as he needed both hands to fully halt its progress. "Strength equal to a demigod, you're not a typical Lancer" he exclaimed, charging forward with sparks running along the length of the spear, ready to unleash a flurry of lightning quick strikes the instant he gets in range.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancer's eyes flared out for just a moment. The force put into that swing was monstrous and having stopped it proved this man was much more powerful than Lancer had initially believed. However, that only served to fuel the fire. Lancer yanked his weapon backwards as the Prince attacked, taking a jab to the shoulder and another to the arm. The pokes were small against Lancer's durable body but they still bled, and Lancer began to wonder about his opponent.

"The scrimmage will go nowhere fast as long as we keep our cards in our sleeves, but I do not feel as though my life is in any hard danger as long as he has chosen to fight me in melee combat. It seems to be more my calling than his". As a Lancer class Servant, Lancer had a large advantage over some of the other classes in melee combat. "In order to find out the specifics of this fellow, I will push him to make a decision".

Lancer gripped his lance hard and threw it back, using the momentum to pacing his steps backwards. He stabbed the tip of his lance towards Arjuna's feet, causing a shower of sparks before calling his Lance's flames, forcing a large jettison flame from the tip in a cloud inferno inches away from his opponent. Lancer knew the flames would not cause any mortal wounds, yet dodging at such a close range might prove difficult. As Lancer moved, he could feel the little wounds heal with help from his Master.

"The flames of my lance will dance around you if you get too close. So many battles have past where the quick and agile attempt to slither through my reach, yet Luin will deny them every time".

Even as they seared forward, the flames of Luin grew even stronger still.

Edited by Flynn

Archer's feet danced as he dodged the true tip of his opponent's lance, and he saw its impact before the weapon hit the ground sending sparks flying. However he wasn't ready for the ever growing flames engulfing the lance to chase him after he'd already dodged the attack. Off balance he realized he had no time to dodge and instead did the only thing he could.

"Varunastra" came the cry from the one most beloved of the gods. With no time to visualize how he wished to wield the water, Arjuna summoned it in its most basic form, and suddenly a torrential river was created inside the street.

But too late, as by the time the water reached him and engulfed the flames, they were already burning away at his right leg. The superficial damage done by the flames was quickly healed though, and Archer paused to hail his opponent. "Fighting you up close is challenging, there are few that could make me openly admit that. Still, your weapon is more troublesome than yourself, and it seems to be getting more dangerous as time passes. To get around that fact I guess I'll just have to try a little harder."

With that said Archer jumped and landed on top of the now knee deep water's surface. Then he leaped backwards with all his speed to get some distance between them. Standing quite calmly on top of the water, without breaking its flow he sheathed his sword and extended his left arm out to his side materializing a bow, resplendent in its beauty. Made of wood but covered from top to bottom in gold bosses, the ends radiating a golden light equal to the purity of its wielder. The size of the bow is a good 5 feet in length when bound by the bowstring. A quiver materializes over Archer's right shoulder, and another by his right hip, opposite the scabbard with his sword now sitting in it on his left.

Archer draws and nocks an arrow from the shoulder mounted quiver, and then draws the string back, the bow taking up an immense amount of power in the process. With an excited smile on his face, wider than any seen yet Archer says "Feel honoured that you are facing down the Gandiva Flavius. I honestly did not expect to need it against one of your caliber. Now die!" With that shout Archer releases the arrow.

As the arrow is released from the bow a shockwave runs through the air and the water behind Archer, demonstrating the power of its flight. Accompanying this is a booming sound like thunder, even though the skies above are clear, and the stars perfectly visible.

"A Noble Phantasm!?" Rider's face turns pale the moment I tell him what I think just happened. I, on the other hand, regain my cool (as much as my migraine lets me) and nod to him.

"Yes, apparently. It's too early to say anything for sure because I'm having difficulties reading the data from the runes set inside Shinto... That bound field is somehow jamming them. But since I felt it at that one moment, I'm rather sure it was a large and sudden surge of prana which activated it. Also, I believe you've heard that crackling sound a few moments ago." While his face remains dumbfounded, his eyes clear up a bit and he gives back a nod. "Your puzzled look is justified. I was also struck unprepared." I reply with a smirk as I walk to the sofa and pick up my bag. "I mean, who would have thought some Servant would have revealed their strongest weapon on the first day? But it's also unsettling... Their Master must be very confident in their abilities if he let something like that happen." I walk up to the door and open them, ready to leave. "Shall we?" I gesture him to come.

His reaction though... is unexpected. A wide grin appears on his face, replacing the look of worry as he stretches his arms behind his back. His black shirt unbuttoned at the top dissapears in a flurry of white sparks, replaced by a simple white shirt coupled with a sleeveless vest. His trousers turn into baggy pants tied by a piece of rope around his waist and ankles, and a single unsheated saber with a beautifully crafted hilt appears in his left hand. He calmly ties it with the rope around his waist and speaks in a smirky tone. "I thought you'd never ask."

Edited by Bfroger6

Lancer stood in a vortex of steam as the wicked flames of Luin repelled the water. Lancer had waited just long enough for Prince to act again and he was glad he did. Had he moved away instantly after his last attack, he might have missed the chance to observe and, apparently avoid this new attack. Instead of relying on his own speed to move, Lancer threw Luin to the side as he jumped, using the momentum of the several thousand pounds to throw himself further. racing with adrenaline.

"Enough with that, Archer. I will lie to you no further, as you have shown you deserve both my respect and my regard. As you may have figured out, I am no knight, I have no such code of chivalry. My only honour lies in the lives I save and the land I serve. I respect power, I respect skill, aspects you have shown to hold".

Lancer swept his lance forward, emitting several large blazing projectiles into the water. With a loud hiss, the flurry of flames created a large cloud of thick mist which traveled quickly. Lancer called out in a booming voice from the hazy cover. "My name is Celtchar of Ulster, I wield the Luin, a lance said to be forged of the devil's bones and serves as his soul's binding". As the mist traveled, Lancer quickly moved towards the position of Hels and the other boy, wishing to assure their safety.

Through the fog, Luin's flames grew larger, emitting a brighter glow.

Edited by Flynn

Saber ran into his master just in time. Siegfried had slowed as he sensed his Servant approaching. "It's not safe here, my lord. We should retreat and strike back another day, ideally outside of this field."

"What about the battle going on behind us? That should be one of my allies. As much as I would love to let them be slaughtered by the owner of the Noble Phantasms being invoked, I am honor-bound to assist. As my Servant, so are you." Siegfried reluctantly turned and moved toward the battle as quickly as possible, before realizing something. "Saber, you can move much faster than I." He stopped for a moment, putting one hand over his face. Saber would have said he was embarrassed, but the magus was surely too stoic to be. "Carrying me will bring us to the battle more quickly."

"As you wish, Master." The large warrior scooped up Siegfried in his arms and slung him over his back, preferring to carry him like someone wounded rather than like a child, sparing his pride somewhat. They quickly reached the battlefield between Archer and Lancer, and were greeted by the sight of the raging torrent and a blast of steam. After Saber set him down, Siegfried drew his blade and made a few quick slashing motions, drawing a rune that pulsed once and dissipated. An expanding current of air cleared the steam away, allowing a clear view of Archer, who would have surely detected their presence by now.

"Rider, can you feel anything?" I ask him. I know we're rather close to the Servant I detected, but the constant buzzing inside my head coupled with the migraine doesn't allow me to think clearly.

"Umh-hm." Is the reply he gives me. I see he's struggling against the bound field as well. "T- they should be on the other side of that building."

"I see." I think for a few moments before talking back. "I have devised a plan. We will observe them from the roof of this building." If we are having problems locating them then they should also have problems locating us as long as we keep some distance between. Besides, I can use my abilities to clearly observe our target even from the top of a skyscraper. That way, we are going to have an upper hand if it comes to a fight.

-----------------------------------

Edited by Bfroger6

Archer noticed several things at the same time. The most pressing of these is that the servant that had been sent into the bounded field has now returned. Next is that Lancer didn't stop the arrow sent in his direction, he dodged it. "There's no way his movement has been impeded by Varunastra, he'd never have been able to dodge if that were the case. Is he like me or are his flames truly that powerful?" After hearing Lancer's declaration, his true name now revealed and his line about respecting Archer's abilities Archer responds with "it is only natural that you would respect me, I am close to the pinnacle of such values. It would appear that we are similar yet different. I respect power and skill in a warrior just as you do, but I also respect kindness and honesty, the latter of which you have failed to uphold."

As Archer speaks he notices Lancer create a smokescreen to cover his movements, confirming that his flames are capable of holding the torrent at bay, and watches him rush to the side of his allies, keeping track of Lancer by the glow of his weapon in the steam. "Now that he has an ally this could get interesting" thinks Archer "but my primary mission here tonight is not the death of these two warriors, and I don't want to use too much power, weakening myself for anyone else that might be watching. It's time to end it."

Archer pulls another arrow from the quiver at his shoulder, fits it to the bow, and draws the string back. He then looses the arrow at Lancer, just as he arrives at his destination with a cry of "Vajira!"

Rider and I arrived at the roof just when I felt another surge of prana go through the rune trap I have left. The two of us hurry to the edge of the building - we can't miss out on something like that!

Below us is a battlefield of water and I can feel at least two strong presences from there.

"They're having a battle." I whisper to Rider without taking my eyed off the sight. "One of them is readying his Noble Phantasm."

Lancer sprinted towards his destination as he listened to Archer respond. He grimaced at the immaturity dripping from the boy's lips. "Oh, don't be such a little-" "Shit!".

A bolt of lightning shot off Prince's bow. Through the initial fog, Lancer hadn't seen the attack. Normally, he would have dodged the attack but with his Master so close... Lancer threw his lance in front of them, thrusting the tip to meet the attack while also forcing a jettison flame outward. The lightning clashed against Luin's fires and slowly tore through them, raking down Luin's shaft until it met Lancer's body. He inhaled sharply with the shock of pain, the jolt lashing his arms before the attack died out. Lancer hadn't taken crippling or lethal damage, but his arms were damaged.

Hels' eyes leered, feeling guilty to having been the cause to Lancer's damage. He immediately began healing his Servant. Luckily, Saber was back and Siegfried hadn't run away. Hels was glad he opted NOT to have Lancer kill him. In fact, Hels was beginning to like this fellow.

Even through the pain, Luin's flames grew stronger.

Edited by Flynn

"Go!" Siegfried snapped the simple command, and Saber knew exactly what he meant. Beowulf launched himself at full speed, sprinting and then leaping at Archer, hands outstretched in an attempt to wrap the other Servant up on impact and get him into a hold.

Archer's eyes narrowed as he saw that his opponent was wounded but still standing. Furthermore it seems his friend has now been ordered into the fight and is wasting no time in closing the gap. "Time to leave" thinks Archer "our objective should have been completed by now and that servant isn't one I want to let too close to me."

He dodges backwards, doing his best to keep his distance from the now airborne servant and fires off a quick volley of arrows, his limbs moving in a blur to make it happen. With the final arrow fired Archer reveals yet another noble phantasm, this time calling out "Varunapasha" and the final arrow morphs into thick ropes seeking their target.

Without pausing to witness the effect of his barrage, Arjuna turns and moves to escape into the night.

Saber tucked in his limbs and tried to avoid the arrow as well as he could, but two scored deep gashes in his arms. The ropes wound themselves around him and left him lying on the damp street, tied down. However, Saber began to grunt and groan with effort, muscles bulging, until his voice rose to a shout. The ropes stretched and eventually burst apart as Archer withdrew into the distance. He stood up slowly, feeling the pain of his wounds. "Are you alright?" Siegfried asked, trying to disguise his own creeping fatigue.

"I have been wounded, my lord, but not seriously. You musn't exhaust yourself on my behalf, however; a good ruler must not drive himself into the ground caring for his subjects. Good kings are called destroyers of gold, but no good king has ever eliminated all of his gold." Saber stopped with the faintest hint of a smile. "Shall I carry you back to the mansion?" His voice was pitched so that only his Master could hear, but Siegfried stiffened all the same.

"That won't be necessary," he snapped. Stalking over to the other Master, he asked a question that mostly lacked the caring tone normally heard with it. "Are you injured?"

Hels shook his head. "Lancer is far more capable than I first gave him credit for. How about you both? Also, Saber, what happened in the field?". Hels wondered where Assassin was but decided not to pick at it. "Actually, it would be best to convene later. I want to make sure we're out of the woods". Hels slid a bible from his robe sleeves and opened it, sketching a few lines in the pages. Without the bloodlust, Lancer's weapon would stay in the state it was currently in. Regardless, it was incredibly hot. Hels took a step away.

"I have been retaining my duty of the Lord... This child reeks of sin, yet he has a light around him. There are four others... Four others who will bare themselves to God, and my sword shall stand as the catalyst".

Hels didn't realize he was smiling until he caught himself, his eyes leered and darkened. A small charade if any must be kept... Hels wanted those who know him to believe they understand him, working with that false mask. As long as there was a single doubt about him, he had the advantage. Appearing as a bland priest seemed to work well.

Hels shook the thought away, telling himself this was no time to speculate. He turned back to Siegfried. "Thoughts?".

Edited by Flynn

After the battle between Archer and Lancer ended Assassin materialized in front of Hels and Siegfried. “My Master sent me,” he said. “He told me to warn you this battle was intense enough to attract unwanted attention. We would be in trouble if Rider or Berserker showed up. We will meet you back at the house.” Without waiting for an answer Assassin disappeared again into his spirit form.

"We missed it again!"

I lose my cool as I figure that the Servant has already finished using his Noble Phantasm. I chant a silent spell to try and make the rune on my lens focus on that person, but the image remains blurred. Like I didn't have enough problems... I deactivate the rune and bend over the edge, trying to make anything out of the situation below. "Rider, can you see anything?" As my eyes cannot discern anything, I turn to Rider, but he shakes his head after trying.

"If you can't see it, then I can't either."

"I see..." So Rider's eyesight isn't much better than my own.

"Then we haven't got much else to do. Rider, we're go- uh" All of a sudden, the buzzing sound in my head sharpens, to the point of actually paining me... I tried to cope with it bur my vision fades away as the floor beneath me starts to tilt. With my balance now lost, I collapse...

Maria's room, June 15th - 1:37 am

Even opening my eyes is a struggle... I-

it shouldn't have already began, right? Andrea said it wouldn't... and he never lied to me before... Maybe he made a mistake... it happens.

But...

What if-

A silent knock on the door shakes me from my thoughts. "Maria... are you awake?" A faint whisper reaches my ear, but I cannot get up. It's Rider, of course... He must've brought me back here after I fainted... He... he's too kind to me. What have I ever done to deserve that? I mean... nobody ever treated me like that except for Andrea...

After a while of silence, the door creaks open. I can hear Rider walking over to my bed and putting something, possibly a plastic bag judging from the sound, on the cupboard next to my head. But I'm already losing it... my conciousness fades back to blackness...

Edited by Bfroger6

"Berserker was already here," Saber replied. "I will describe the scene in full detail once we are in a safe location."

"Agreed. We should move back as quickly as possible." Siegfried turned to walk back. "Hels, I think it's best for us to discuss this once we are in a safe location. We may have undesirable ears listening in on us otherwise."

June 15th, 12:35 pm

I slept through the morning, but it was worth it, as I feel somewhat refreshed now. My migraine is gone and I'm as energetic as always. I exit the room without paying much attention to the bag Rider had left there. I have no need to develop a bond with him. At least, that's what I tell myself to make it feel easier to do what I'm setting out to do.

Rider is sitting on his usual spot on the couch, watching some film on the tv. He notices me when I come down and greets me, but I silently walk up to him, pretending like I haven't heard anything. He protests as I draw a rune on his forehead with my pen.

Who cares anyways, he won't even remember any of this after I'm done...

12:41 pm

I have succesfully locked away Rider's memories about me from last night inside the rune, promptly wiping it off afterwards. He doesn't even seem to notice something has happened, and he's back to his cheerful self. I like it better this way. Those memories would have ruined it all.

After it's all been done, I sent him out to get us some food. I'm starving and I need some time for myself.

"Yes, that's what I just said" Hels responded. "Dense but not stupid, was it?". "Let's head back, Lancer. We'll take a small detour. There are some matters I'd like to attend to".

Hels moved quickly out of sight, but his intentions were in Lancer's regard. Standing past a corner and making sure they were outside of visible view, Lancer tapped the bottom of his fiery lance three times. A cauldron appeared before them and Lancer quickly dipped the tip of Luin into the sickly violet liquid, allowing the flames to subside. As Lancer allowed Luin to vanish, Hels commented "That weapon is more of a hassle than it's worth, Lancer". Lancer didn't respond. He waved his hand over the cauldron and it followed the weapon before it. "Shall we be off?". Hels turned on his heels towards the directive street, heading back to the base of operations.

Vincent was first to reach the house. Tonight went completely different than expected but at least another Servant had shown himself. Archer had proven tonight he was out of Assassin’s league to beat. His power was enough to worry Vincent, especially since he used multiple Noble Phantasms as it was nothing. Vincent took a seat and patiently waited for the others to return. Assassin appeared next to him but said nothing as to not disturb his Master’s thoughts.

"Hmm, you seem very useful Caster. Clearly a powerful Mage in your life time." Nadia said. She walked over to the place where Beowulf threw his sword in the earlier battle. She looked at it in disgust. It was a rather large, clumsy blade. She used a small darkness construct to wedge it out of the wall, and it clattered to the ground. She picked it up, weighing it in her hand. It felt heavy, it made her arm tired just holding the thing. "This sword is not well balanced, it feels odd. Maybe it is meant to be this heavy. If my hunch was correct and he was Beowulf this would be the sword Naegling. Perhaps they believed this was what a sword was meant to be like, but it is not." Nadia thought out loud. She was very particular about her swords. Naegling felt too heavy too her, she didn't know why. But it was probably because it wasn't the blade she had always fought with.

"Caster, this is something we should be able to make use of." she said bringing the sword over to her and Josh. She threw it on the ground in front of them.

As they walked back to the house, Siegfried noticed something off about his Servant. "Saber, where is your sword?"

"I threw it away," Saber replied promptly. "Not unexpectedly, the blade failed me. Before you ask why I would do something so foolish, I will tell you. The Servant I battled - Berserker - seemed to have some sort of protection against the blows of the weapon, so I fought him with my fists."

"I see," Siegfried said. "Is it possible for us to recover it?"

"Not without venturing back into the heart of the field," he replied. "It does not matter. I have no need of it." Saber stopped at a cutting gesture from his Master. They were still in public, after all, and who knew who might be listening.

A magical protection against blades? It couldn't have been Grendel or his mother; Beowulf would have mentioned it. My namesake? No, he would not be summoned as Berserker. Achilles, perhaps? Puzzling. . .

When they reached the house, Siegfried proceeded in hastily. He was greeted by the sight of Vincent in the house. "I did not see you in any of the battles tonight."

Vincent raised an eyebrow at Siegfried’s remark. “Did you really think I would risk Assassin against a monstrous Servant like that Archer? There were no openings for him to strike and I didn’t find another Master nearby…” Vincent stood up and paced up and down. “We know his identity but that doesn’t help. We need to shift our focus and try to locate Archer’s Master.”

Archer returned to the hotel room directly from the battlefield. Being followed didn't concern him, he couldn't sense another servant's presence so only Assassin could possibly be tailing him, and if that was the case then there are worse things to have happen. If they were to set a trap for Assassin, they'd need to lure him with some enticing bait anyway.

Andrew welcomed him back upon his arrival. "Archer, you fought magnificently tonight! I was in awe just watching the two of you go at it. I'd heard servants were powerful beings, but that doesn't fully prepare you for the spectacle of a battle between servants" he said enthusiastically. Andrew continued when he saw Archer take a seat with a tired sigh "how are you feeling Archer? It looked like you were throwing out some pretty impressive attacks. I think I counted three astras all up."

"That's right" replied Archer "Lancer withstood two of my more minor astras, and survived with some injuries. The third I needed to use to secure an easy getaway. Depending on the power of the second servant I might have been able to kill them both there, but there's no point in risking that so early in the war. I've still got enough prana to use two or three more of my smaller astras though I do feel slightly fatigued after that ordeal, I've never had to use three in one fight before. From that perspective it looks like this grail war will be as entertaining as I'd hoped."

"Okay, get some rest Archer" said Andrew. "I'll do the same and we'll go over the implications of tonight's clash tomorrow morning. Feel free to replenish your prana from my own stocks while I'm sleeping" and so saying Andrew Whitcombe, master of Archer, heads to bed.

"Arjuna Pandava, third prince of the Hastinapura. You are right, it is very good we know the identity of this Servant" Hels could be heard walking through the door to the headquarters to meet his fellow Masters. His hands were together in his sleeves as a typical priest might be seen doing, and the bottom of his garbs were darker than the rest, still damp from the rush of water Archer spewed out. "That is the spirit summoned under the Archer class we now know, and one beyond what I expected". Hels decided against raising his negative concerns towards Assassin's Master. It would get him nowhere. In honesty, Hels had taken this as a revealing of who he would place an amount of respect in. Siegfried might not be a tactical genius, but neither was Hels. Siegfried was worth keeping alive, whereas Assassin's Master was not. "I did not see his Master, but now we are a step closer out of the dark with his Servant's reveal".

Lancer stood behind Hels, dipping his head in to make it through the doorway. "Tonight was merely a premonition of what's to come, yes? I stand in the lord's light and look forward to the events to come, praying for his illumination of our path to come. If you are not preparing to close your door for the night, Siegfried, I would like to discuss with you the matters that transpired tonight in detail".

Edited by Flynn