Advice on Early Pokémon

Lucinova

I have but a simple (and strange) request: could anyone point out Pokémon (even if only general typings or such) that I should look out for early on in the game? I remember on my past playthrough, where I ended crashing and burning around level 30, I regretted not raising my Ralts or Vivillon... but nonetheless, could anyone help me out by pointing out at least a couple useful Pokémon (or type combinations) I should be on the lookout for early on?

-Anything ever that learns Uproar early and gets STAB for it (Whismur and Hoothoot come to mind)

-Pachirisu- seriously, this thing will never die early game it's ridiculous

-Trubbish for Toxic Spikes and Acid Spray

-Litleo mainly for Work Up and Headbutt, although as that's a trade you've gotta watch its leveling

-Espurr. Because Espurr. Okay no seriously, because Psyshock and way early Light Screen.

Honestly you can probably find a use for near about everything you can find in Peridot Ward- these are just a few things I've used personally. Most things early-game wise won't hold you over past Shelly, though.

(I'm one to talk since I still have Skuntank and Meowstic on my main file but yeah)

I know the second Gym is sometimes kind of a challenge, but getting a Koffing near cripples anything they can through at you spare two Pokemon (not sure what their updated team is since I played from Ep. 9&11). Also, it helps how common they are, being found in the alleyways. Koffing with Self-Destruct is also super useful against the third Gym.

I recommend Magikarp! Ah no he's gone...then Ralts! Nope gone too....hmm Magmar? Gone......ok, now seriously: for the first 2 Gyms use a Kricketune Fury Cutter will kill everything and don't forget Vespiqueen (with Destiny Bond) you will need it believe me, you can try Trubbish (with Toxic Spikes) it's useful against the early Gym Leaders also Espurr is pretty good till midgame (more or less), the really good Pokemon appear later (how it really should be in all Pokemon games imo).

P.S.

If you really have problems progressing i recommend Torchic as a starter, Blaziken puts the game on "easy" mode (well sorta)

Edited by Gaunt

Yooooo, i just wanted to say hi since im new to the community. Every pokemon i had on my mind has already been mentioned but apart from the obvious good starter picks (Mudkip, Torchic, Charmander - coz Dragon Rage op) you can use Cricketune for early game, Teddiursa, elemental monkeys for whatever type you're missing and if you're good at voltorb flips you can probably buy a shinx too ;)

So I've heard Hoothoot/Noctowl recommended a few times... but would an early-game Noibat do well?

Absolutely no it's very easy to kill and weak till it evolves (which happens at level 48)

ninjaed ^_^

Edited by Gaunt

Noibat is an interesting option.

It suffers from Magikarp syndrome, but not as severely. Etesian above was right in saying that it will slow you down until it evolves, but after evolving it's a Pokemon that can be rewarding to use.

The issue with it though, is that Noibat is literally EVERYWHERE. You might go for Hoothoot early on and pick up a higher leveled Noibat later on down the road.

If -I- were in your shoes, I would go for Hoothoot.

Edited by Hilda

Noibat is an interesting option.

It suffers from Magikarp syndrome, but not as severely. Etesian above was right in saying that it will slow you down until it evolves, but after evolving it's a Pokemon that can be rewarding to use.

The issue with it though, is that Noibat is literally EVERYWHERE. You might go for Hoothoot early on and pick up a higher leveled Noibat later on down the road.

If -I- were in your shoes, I would go for Hoothoot.

Yeah, I just checked the location guide... I think I'll wait until later in the game to get one

Even though it's not that early Azumarill is still a beast early on, and the starter is important too. Reset until you get a good nature, good IVs and a good ability.

Agreed on both accounts, though keep in mind you can get a really early Ability Capsule on the barrels to the left of the entrance of one of the factories, which makes getting all 3 easier.

I haven't played play Pokemon for over a decade (until now), and I didn't had to raise a specific Pokemon for a specific Gym. It doesn't take a genius to figure out lol . If you played the regular games I think you will do much better than me since you know mostly every Pokemon names and weaknesses. I leave you 3 tips:

1. Movepool will decide if the Pokemon is good or bad. Good stats but shitty Movepool? don't bother using it.

2. The starter Pokemon will determine the difficulty of the game, period (Torchic being easy mode) There this huge in-balance issues that I believe Ame should change when it comes to picking up starters (Make the starters Pokemon available throughout the game only [Froakie and Torchic being one of the last] and make the player choose from 2-4 Pokemon of your choice [being restricted from selection of Pokemon goes with the story). Make them all Dark-Types, I mean, it kinda goes with the story has well in my opinion.

3. Play smart...seriously I really mean this. Yesterday I saw someone here using Kricketune against a Poison-Type Gym; and he had a Psychic-Type Pokemon fully trained in the PC lol. Furthermore, any team can defeat any enemies just figure out how to used everything to their MAX potential (Ex. I defeated Corey (with [Poison Mist] with just Pachirisu, Ducklett and Combusken...how? you tell me :P. In my opinion, he deserves a buff)

My advice is catch any good Pokemon early before it gets removed in later episodes. Like Magikarp getting removed and Ralts moving to another location. And get the Gothita!!! Sure it isn't as strong as the Ralts line was, but it is a good Pokemon, but pick up that Pokemon before if it ever gets removed!

Edited by Shadowbolt192

Ah, alright

A shame, because I really like it... oh well, I'll stick with my Hoothoot for now (but I suppose silver Hoothoot is pretty epic)

My Noctowl has failed me on my 1st playthrough, it's only useful because it gets Hypnosis...and nothing else pretty much. And hypnosis can miss A LOT. It's your choice if you want to fill up a team slot just for 1 utility move. Unless you're planning to switch it with something else later in the game i don't suggest you put it on your team...at all...Just my opinion.

Uh no, it's useful because it has a very powerful stab uproar and all kinds of special bulk. Also, I don't remember if he still has it but insomnia Noctowl is completely immune to Shade's Spiritomb.

That's actually the only Pokemon he lost as of E13. (I won't spoil what he has instead, but suffice it to say I was quite relieved it wasn't fully evolved.)

However, Noctowl is still quite viable because of reasonably early Reflect increasing its bulk from both ends of the spectrum and indeed, STAB Uproar. (Why you would run Hypnosis and Uproar at the same time is actually beyond me, on that note...)