Sutoratosu

It's fine now, Notus.

Alright, we have... 10 players. I'm officially shuting down registration now. Bagel's sign up sheet is considered void right now since he never bothered to come and finish it; it's not my responsibility to hold his hand through checking the OCC every so often and filling out a bit of simple information if he wants to participate. I know he's been actively recently, and that he's had the time to make several post over the past few days, so really no excuse for him not having this done yet when he was one of the first to get a sheet up and several weeks have passed since then.

Moving on to more relevant things, The chapter 1 IC will be started today. you all will not be dropped straight into Eden at first however, I have things I want to set up in the story before I get the actual mission underway. You'll see what I mean.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, by the way, I would look at some of Firefall's music for this.

What kind of equipment do we have? The descriptions in the OP aren't overly specific, so how creative can we get? For example, could my laser rifle have multiple intensity/RoF settings (more power=less RoF)?

I will have to get around to creating actual weapon descriptors and standard loadouts, but yes, you can get creative about it a little. Like say you have some type of modification on your weapon (Though in all honestly, you guys should really wait for me to describe them before you go do that, since it'll make it easier if you know what each weapon actually does) I'll get on that tommorow

Anyways, just to give some perspective, at this point in time, Gun technology is in the middle of a transition from physical lead/ metal bullets to energy projectiles like lasers, hence why the two currently are side by side another and not one or the other only.

So long as Modifications aren't ridiculously over powered, I'm fine with them.

And for future reference: I have no idea at all what Firefall is.

links incoming

For now, though, for the rifle I'll just have it so the RoF can be adjusted if she has a chance to spend a minute or so messing with it, with an additional select-fire toggle. The pistols are basically a hand cannon from Destiny and the automag from Halo: ODST. (Small magazine, heavy recoil, and heavy impact on the first, and the opposite on the second.)

anw Firefall

most notably the music tho, it's quite pretty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7fLTYhiRwM

The in-game music kind of fades into the background in a lot of areas, but it can still be good

I'll consider using the music from Firefall, but for the most part, I'm just gonna base the weapons and equipment and such from the physics from the Star Wars verse. SW is something I already know well, so I won't have to waste time trying to dive into something completely new to me, which as a result will give me more time to spend doing actual work on this instead of having to go out and spend that time doing copious research on the way things work in some other 'verse that I have no clue about to begin with.

EDIT: and speaking of gear, I'll get on to that later today with descriptions of what the Exo-Suits are like and so on and so forth.

And I see no one cares about socializing right now... well. you might wanna get to know each other soon; trusting complete strangers to have your back tends to get you killed in the field.

As for Sarah, she's never really focused on anything, and tends to be super spacey about things she was just talking about moments before. Kinda like the dog from Up, if you will. The only time she buckles down is if something serious is happening

Alright people, here's how Laser Weaponry works in this Verse, Mechanics stolen straight from the SW wiki:

Lasers are generated by stimulating a "gain medium"; this substance was charged with electricity, radiation or even by chemical reaction so as to release energy in the form of photons. The gain medium can come in the form of a solid (often a crystal), liquid or gas. The "gain medium," when charged, sees the rapid excitement of its constituent atoms. These atoms would experience increases in electron energy levels. Said electrons, seeking equilibrium, then released photons, or packets of electromagnetic radiation, so as to self-stabilize. The produced radiation, reflected and amplified by the Optical Cavity, could then be released as a high-powered and potentially destructive beam of coherent radiation. The output coupler was responsible for the release of the beam from the optical cavity.

^This above description is stolen straight from Wookiepedia... because I can't think of a better way to explain it myself.

So... basically here's how Laser Rifles work:

1. The Trigger is depressed by the operator, sending a signal to the Component within the rifle responsible for electricity generation.
  2. This Component, which utilizes a powerful Magnetic Rotation system to generate power, then activates immediately after. The Electricity created by it is then channeled into the "Gain Medium" of the Rifle, which in Standard issue ones (Which is what everyone who is a ranger will have) are a Special type of Crystal mined from beneath Esperanza.
  3. The Gain Medium, having been stimulated by the Electricity, generates the Radiation (Photons in this case) that will be discharged for the shot. These Photons then project into the Optical Cavity.
  4. Inside the Optical Cavity, the photons are reflected and amplified to the point of destructive power.
  5. Once Amplified, this Beam of Coherent and destructive Radiation is released in the form of a "Laser" from the Output Coupler at the end of the Rifle's barrel.

There are two modes on ERC Standard Issue Laser Rifles; Burst and Sweep.

Burst mode, as it's name implies, fires a Single Laser bolt which burns through the target on contact, and can potentially explode if it collides with highly flammable material or substances. It Consumes little power and as such does not cause fast Overheating of the Power Unit in the Rifle.

Sweep mode, unlike Burst mode, fires one, continuous Laser Beam which as the name implies, can then be used to sweep targets and burn through them (Think of it as a very long range Laser Cutter basically). Sweep mode causes significantly more destruction to targets than Burst mode does for obvious reasons, but unlike Burst mode, it also takes up copious amounts of electricity in order to sustain it, and as such can easily cause the Power Unit of the Rifle to overheat after several seconds of using this mode.

How one cycles between Burst and Sweep on a Standard issue rifle is by flicking the switch just above the Trigger Guard between either "B" for Burst and "S" for Sweep. Switching this switch exchanges which lenses are used in the Output Coupler, which ultimately determines which form the beam generated will take.

Laser Rifles are single shot only while on Burst mode; they are not currently capable of full or even semi auto-automatic fire (though the government is working to try to change that...). They almost never overheat while in Burst Mode, but are guaranteed to on Sweep mode. when a LR's power unit overheats, it will require at least 5 minutes to cool, and is rendered completely unusable the entire cool down period. The reason they do not overheat during Burst mode is because the Power Unit generates the electricity and then shuts back down a moment afterwards; while in Sweep mode, the Power Unit must be keep active the entire time the beam is maintained.

Laser Rifles are far more accurate and have a far longer range than Guns do, as they are not affected by variables in the environment such as wind direction and speed and humidity. There shots travel in straight lines, and do not at all curve as bullet trajectories do. The only thing determining whether a shot hit's it's intended mark or not depends on how well the shooter can aim and whether or not the shot is reflected by something. (Yes, bullets actually curve, folks. Looks can be pretty deceiving, right?) The only reason Guns are even still around is because of the LRs lack of Semi and Full Auto Fire capabilities.

The processes taking place within a LR take less than half a second at the very most.

additionally, Lasers fired from LRs require a special type of mirror/ reflective surface in order to be deflected.

So there it is, Murdoc and everyone else. That's how the mechanics for Ranged Laser Weaponry works. In terms of Aesthetics and outward construction, LRs have the same basic bodies as regular rifles: a butt, a trigger and trigger guard, a mid section above the trigger and guard where Ammunition would be held/ loaded (in this case it's where the electric charge is generated) and a barrel that releases the fired shot upon the Trigger being depressed.

And no, no one will ever be allowed to have any type of modification on a Laser Rifle that would eliminate the Cool Down time from Sweeping, because that would simply make it far too overpowered at that point.

Moving on to Guns:

Guns... well, they pretty much operate on the same principles as they do in the modern era (Of our world). Not really much to explain about em other than that. Obviously some are going to be better than others, like how it is now. The only real thing to note is that they look much cooler and have sleeker/ lighter models with higher Mag Capacities.

Moving on to Plasma Weaponry:

Oh hellllll no. You make Plasma-based Small Arms, and you die for High Treason; it's against the Esperanza constitution to manufacture or operate them for anything that's not a certified star ship. and so is distributing knowledge of how they operate to any unauthorized persons. (Yes, they take it so seriously that the Defeault charge will be High Treason because They'll assume you have an agenda to assault the Government (Tactical Terror Typology) or commit acts of random terror with it. (Random Terror Typology) And Terrorism as a whole is filed under the High Treason Charge in Esperanza)

I'm not even going to go into Plasma Weapons at the moment. None for you! leave my sight!

EDIT: well, the only two people even left in the PB right now are Flux's and Snap's character; with Flux's having been pretty much brushed off in his socialization and Snap having yet to post... oh wait... I forgot about Lance...

Must be because he's technically not an ER...in fact, even I don't know what the hell he is.

By the way... I only said it's illegal to make Plasma Small Arms...

now, if you were to... oh, I don't know... mayhaps find such a device very deep within the reaches beyond Eden... eh, well, that would be a loophole in "Make" part of the law, wouldn't it? and technically the condition about opera-

... no, no more spoilers. let's just say that just because they're 'Illegal' doesn't nessacarily mean obtaining them at some point in the far future will be impossible

Moving on to Plasma Weaponry:

Oh hellllll no. You make Plasma-based Small Arms, and you die for High Treason; it's against the Esperanza constitution to manufacture or operate them for anything that's not a certified star ship. and so is distributing knowledge of how they operate to any unauthorized persons. (Yes, they take it so seriously that the Defeault charge will be High Treason because They'll assume you have an agenda to assault the Government (Tactical Terror Typology) or commit acts of random terror with it. (Random Terror Typology) And Terrorism as a whole is filed under the High Treason Charge in Esperanza)

I'm not even going to go into Plasma Weapons at the moment. None for you! leave my sight!

I think you miss Kenshin's drone orb, that thing is basically a walking lightning cloud under his command. so yeah, Kenshin weapon drone b.o.l.t . (ball of lightning thingey) just slip pass the committee and the boy has just committed high treason before this even began. unless you gonna confiscate it.

That's not the type of plasma I'm talking about.

The type that's generated in Lightning and such is nowhere near as powerful as the type that was weaponized long ago on earth and then completely outlawed because of said power.

Basically, when you see me mention anything about plasma weapons, I want you guys to think so something like a Lightsaber. Take that type of ridiculous, unstoppable energy, so strong it can cut through and vaporize virtually anything, tweak it to make it possible to cause it to burst outward in a wide explosion after being stimulated, and put it on the end of a missle now...

and you have ridiculous destruction on your hands. That drone ain't nowhere near powerful enough to get the kid arrested for Possession of Plasma Small Arms.