Pokemon XYZ Killed the show

LOLZLION

Ash kissing Serena pikachu beating a fricking MEGA LUCARIO, oh wait, Ash are you STILL the main character? Yes ? Oh that sucks. And now introducing the world's worst Pokemon girl: Serena! I'm not a Pokemon hater, I love the game and card game, but the anime  seems to get worse and worse every year, with more unfair wins, worse, more annoying and weaker female characters ( to the point where Serena didn't get her fennekin past a braxien ), the fact that we still have an annoying  ten year old for a main character and KISSING! Oh god that was bad I will pay Nintendo any amount of money for that not to happen again. Common Nintendo! This is a kids show . I can't even tell who ash's rival is in Pokemon XYZ.

Nice to meet you too ! 

Well... it's pokemon anime where a pikachu who did kanto , johto , hoenn , shinnoh , unys leagues still loosing vs a starter 

Edited by Zarc

I'll admit that I haven't watched much of the show since Hohen, but this seemed like the season I would be most likely to watch.  Seems like you are letting your dislike of Serena influence the rest of the series, if you are being serious.  The only disappointing thing was the League finale, since that's the closest he's getting to winning on-screen.

One of your points is kissing in a Japanese kids show????  I mean no offense, but 1) have you seen from Kanto through Hohen where Ash was kissed multiple times?  and 2) how is your tolerance for a simple display of affection so low?  

You apparently haven't watched much of the anime if you believe evolution is an accurate measure of strength/skill in that world.

I honestly can't tell if this is a genuine, if poorly written rant, or a 'meh' level troll post......  Either way, welcome to forums if you ever do log back in (if you aren't an existing member or one time troll).

Edited by seki108

1 hour ago, LOLZLION said:

Serena gently touched Satoshi's cheek

There, I fixed it for you. 

But otherwise I disagree completely. Pokemon XY is the only Pokemon series I can recommend as a genuinely good anime that I watched not because I was a fan of the series, but because I enjoyed the show for what it was on its own. Funny, dramatic and something inspiring episodes, little to no filler, perhaps the best fighting scenes in any anime from last year (seriously, the Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile was pure gold), Tripokalon exhibitions with eye-popingly gorgeous animations , and without a doubt, the strongest supporting cast Pokemon has ever had. 

I've watched aproximately 200 animes at this point, and graded each on a scale from 1-10, where around 60% of what I've watched has a score of 4 or lower. I gave D&P a 4, Advanced Generation a 3, and B&W a 2. But XY I gave a 7, and XY&Z I gave an 8 which should speak volumes about how much better it is than the rest of the series. I can highly recommend the series to people who've disliked the other Pokemon anime, or who just like good Anime in general. 

Edited by Tartar

I very much disagree. the only season of pokemon anime that felt better than xy&z for me was the dppt anime, and that was because the cast was by far the strongest in there, in my opinion. brock took up the role as brotherly figure, dawn had quite a lot of screentime despite not being the actual main character, and paul was and is just the best rival ash has ever had in all anime series.

the original series was lmao. im not gonna lie, it was bad, but it was bad because it was new to the creators as well. it was bad in the same fashion duelist kingdom was bad for yugioh, and a lot of alike things. you could see the quality improving over time (most notably in the silver conference which is still my second-favorite anime league up until now), but really, most of it was just experimental.

hoenn was quite literally a new beginning. ash started out as a complete rookie for the first time again, joined by a coordinator- also a new thing. hoenn was somewhere in between johto and sinnoh anime, and while it was by no means really bad, I found it to be really bland. morrison was a lastminute addition because they realized they forgot a rival and the hoenn league sucked majorly. sure, animations were rather cool, but corphish knocking out half of morrisons team on its own? fuck off.

sinnoh anime didnt bring anything new to the table, which, ironically, was their greatest strength. dawn was an improved may (what with anime contests being fleshed out at this point), brock reprised his role as big bro and fan favorite, and then theres paul aka best pokemon anime rival ever. id apologize for stating this as a fact but I literally cannot proclaim it as about anything else.

actually, fuck it, entire paragraph on rivals lets go. the original series had gary, ritchie and harrison. gary started out as a meme, as unrealistic as possible. during the johto league, writers wisened up and realized their anime wasnt fully gag-driven anymore. thus they made gary suddenly more mature and an actual respectable rival. this would have made him good except no character development. just BOOM hes not an asshole anymore. ritchie was there to make ash lose in indigo league and didnt even appear in the silver conference. harrison was there to make ash lose in the silver conference. tyson was basically the harrison of hoenn. morrison fucking sucked. stephan was...actually not that bad. legitimately one of the few bw characters that didnt piss me the fuck off in like every episode. shame about no character development, though. same with bianca, actually. please dont mention cameron or virgil, though. trevor and tierno were kind of strange. they were the first kalos rivals introduced but really got dropped super fast in favor of sawyer and alain, which was a good idea too. the former two were super static, while alain and especially sawyer got major character development. alain was broken as hell and a borderline tobias (winning the lumiose conference semifinals using two pokemon), but he was shown to not be unbeatable, plus character development. good rival, not awesome. sawyer, though, started out as a full rookie, and despite being introduced rather late, managed to become rather vital to the plot. he respected ash, looked up to him, and once even had an argument with him. hands down my second-favorite pokemon rival introduced. alola... I dont even know, man.

the sinnoh rivals, though. barry was eh, and by far the worst of the sinnoh rivals. but his ingame counterpart was also annoying so ill let it slide. conway was...disturbing. while his strategic style of battling was rather new (only done by katie before), he was the most static of all sinnoh rivals. so I dunno. nando was interesting- he had both an interest in battling and coordinating, which was a complete u-turn from how things were before- you had to either battle or coordinate. he did both, and it made him super interesting. and then theres paul. the rival that took the best out of all anime rivals. he was a better gary in the way that he used to dislike ash, but eventually grew respect towards him gradually, not BOOM here it is like gary. he was a better sawyer in the way that he got character development, but while sawyer only appeared late in the journey, paul had been there since the beginning, giving him super many chances to grow as a character. he was a better conway, because he also used strategy in his battles, but he was flexible- conway was arrogant and sticked to one plan, too certain it would work out. he was a better alain, too. the power gap between him and ash seemed to be much smaller than between ash and alain (bar the lake acuity battle where paul outstrategized ash super hard). im sorry, but theres literally NO WAY anyone can convince me paul wasnt the best rival.

anyway, back to sinnoh. good rivals, good companions, battles that used actual strategy... not gonna lie, the only thing about sinnoh that I could say was less good was the massive amount of filler episodes. not all of them were interesting to watch. oh, and the sinnoh league was hype as fuck. ash vs paul in league are still my favorite pokemon anime episodes up until this day.

oh, and fuck tobias. nearly forgot that.

unova can fuck off. iris was a throwback to misty, just being there to be there, but unlike misty she was super annoying and god shut the FUCK up. cilan had to take over brocks role and I gotta be honest. I was legitimately surprised there could be a worse companion than iris. bw had good moments, but most of the time was just please stop.

kalos was great. it felt like something between sinnoh and unova for me- not as much strategizing as sinnoh, much better characters and companions than unova. serena was far from as static as people claim her to be- I can at least remember one moment where she got so mad at ash that she could have slapped him. which also was character development for both, btw. showcases were kind of just there and could have been executed better, tbh. clemont and bonnie were okay, but much more static. however, they were played rather well, in my opinion. and the kalos league, oh god. though I hated how short it was and how much the focus was put on mega pokemon and ash-greninja, those animations were goddamn cool. and the team flare arc was really what the team plasma arc in bw should have been if bw didnt fucking suck super hard. it was balls-trippingly epic, and after the ash vs paul league battles, the megalith zygarde fights were my favorite anime episodes.

sun/moon is strange. it feels like theyre going back to kanto mechanics and I dont know how to feel about that.

boy, what a rant.

XYZ was a mixed bag for me tbh, especially because of the whole Ash-Greninja thing and the league final. But it had some very good moments, and it was a refreshing change of pace after, uh... those series. But I don't see how tf Serena is as bad as you think, she wasn't even training for battles, and kissing is not new, and it made sense there, so, yeah.

That being said, DPPt were still the best series among all of them, as they were funny and the characters and fights were on point. It was just fun to watch and good on pretty much every aspect.

I actually thought XYZ was great outside of filler episodes, especially with the plot revolving around Zygarde and Team Flare. It's probably by 2nd favorite after Diamond and Pearl. The only real thing that disappointing me was Ash losing with Ash-Greninja even though they had it perfectly set up for him to win. But for some reason the anime writers and directors think that a main character who always loses will be more appealing than one who can manage to win.

I personally think XYZ was one of the better parts of the anime I've seen since Diamond and Pearl. Gen 5's anime sucked, the 6th gen XY anime was okay at best imo, and XYZ actually made something happen. Team Flare actually did something and the plot became more interesting. Now with Sun & Moon I personally think this was a major step back again. But in my opinion XYZ was a superior part of the Pokémon anime. At least compared to the first half of sixth gen and the entire fifth gen anime.
About the kissing... We didn't actually see anything. I personally would've found it a bit weirder if Serena didn't kiss him, considering she hinted towards liking him from the beginning of the entire sixth gen anime. If they wouldn't have done anything with that, after all those episodes, it would've felt weird to me.

Edited by TheOminousJephed

in terms of development and plot, xy and xyz were pretty compelling and well thought out compared to some other seasons (although sinnoh and hoenn will always have special places in my heart). it's what got me back into the pokemon anime for a while haha, though it's disappointing that they ultimately stuck to the formula of Ash falling juuust short of his goal and resetting the series. sumo itself seems kinda promising too, it's less anime and more western cartoon, which is honestly a refreshing change of pace. overall though, xyz was pretty great.