Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

A Dragon for a hero

Damage

Question

So as you may have guessed by the title, I'm looking for a dragon. I think you can't really be a hero unless you roll in with one. Granted seeing as how a lot of major chars have dragons, I need a dragon that stands out. I need someone to tell me which one they think I should roll with. Note-This dragon will be second fiddle to my starter for all future playthroughs and you can suggest a dragon that you (reasonably) believe will be added in future updates and does not belong to a character already in story excluding leaders.

23 answers to this question

Going only off of stats, Dragon is the strongest type. No surprise we don't have a lot of them. The only ones in the game are Tyrantrum, Noivern, Altaria and Flygon. The ones most likely to be added (sort of) soon are Druddigon and Kingdra. There was also that Random Dratini Tile which is no longer in the game.

A lot of people here use Noivern, Altaria is kinda bad (and I wouldn't be surprised if Adrien pulls out a Mega Altaria on us), there's better than Flygon, Druddigon is amazing in Trick Room while there's better than Druddigon if there's no TR. Kingdra is pretty good but we know Amaria has one.

Go for Tyrantrum. It's amazing if you breed Dragon Dance onto it, but not that useful without it. Keep in mind Hardy might have one.

Leaders owning it doesn't bother me much. I hate training Noibat, worst poke early game to me and sadly I suck at slots so I don't know if I can get Flygon who I'd kinda like since it seems until revealed the main char comes from the desert or at least that direction. Kingdra I'd love to join my roster but Amaria is kinda prevelent in the story so I don't wanna copy that. Tyrantrum is cool but I'd like wings (he's definitely crossed my mind though). Druddigon is almost as ugly as Garbodor in my opinion and looks are 40% how I choose pokemon. Beyond upset about the missed Dratini thing, would of been nice to add golden Chawizod to the team.

I have to say Tyrantrum. He's my go to dragon anytime Garchomp isn't around. And he is amazing, Etesian is right, breed Dragon Dance on him, get his Rock Head ability and a Head Smash and that thing is pretty much unstopable

EDIT:
And also for Flygon, i think you don't need to play slots, you could like buy coins but that would mean that you'd be bankrupt in a matter of minutes but hey i'd do it if i wanted something that bad though

Edited by Palpatine

I have both Noivern and Flygon.

Firstly: I suck at slots too. I got Flygon with help from this site: http://www.voltorbflip.com/ It's not 100% accurate. You'll still need lots and lots of patience. (Put some music on and be prepared to spend hours on it.) Also, if you're really stringent about doing things on your own, don't use it. It's just a suggestion.

Secondly: I didn't train Noibat from the beginning. I had reached a point where I had six or so badges. I caught a bunch of Noibats, picked the best and speed-trained it. It was easier at this point because the wild Pokemon were higher-leveled and I had wider choice of spots (and hence, EVs).

Haven't used Tyrantrum, but I might based on the comments. ;)

Edit: ninja'd by the magical abilities of Chimchain.

Edited by Amber132

I consider 'mine' pseudo legendaries to be Metagross, Tyranitar or Garchomp depending on the games and stuff
Sonic i too have recently found some more love for Goodra, i mean i never disliked him actually since i just ADORE all the gooey and slimey stuff (Muk and Revival Jam from Yugioh) but recently i started to feel some more love for Goodra too. It's just that i really don't know how to use Goodra lol :D So what do you think are the chances of us getting a Goomy in Ep13

Edited by Palpatine

Dragon riding ftwIn39444.jpg

Anyways... i say you should go flygon. It learns plenty of moves that complement eachother really well, it isn't as much of a pain to train as noivern and it has a better and rarer type. You can get other flying types other than noivern, but a good ground type is a little bit harder to find. All it takes is a little bit patience to get all the coins, but trapinch isn't that bad either with that 100 base attack and nice moves by level up.

I was just thinking, damn how easier it would be if a player was to get a Trapinch as soon as he got in the Onix Ward (i mean he is available right after you unlock Onix Ward right ? ) Because Flygon ofc, he'd just make a joke out of Aya and a couple of others :D

Ya know, if you wanted, you could just bypass the specific "Dragon" typing and instead choose something from the "Dragon" egg group. it'll give you a lot more options in terms of things available to actually get in the game. since Ame's probably gonna keep us as far away from the good dragons as she possibly can until the elite four

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dragon_(Egg_Group)

I'm leaning heavily towards Flygon. His typing is odd as sh#t but he's cool to me. I've looked at Goodra, there's at least a (slim) chance in hell that we'd get a poke like that. Other than the hours at the arcade (less than 2k coins are free I think) Flygon would be a good choice. Wish it was just a difficult event because money wise you don't get that much until Radomus. Assuming you don't buy necessities. I really dislike Noivern. His stats aren't what bothered me it was his zubat-ness when he first appeared. Ohhhhh the zubat-ness minus the cool and useful typing that zubat posesses.

Use this little tool then if you want an easier time getting coins for Trapinch (Flygon): (IT's a voltorb flip calculator)

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/other-files/download-voltorb-flip-calculator-1-0-5-f10211.html

It works like a charm for me. saves so much time in the arcade.

Everyone uses Dragons because Dragons are badass.

...That or we're all secretly closet Elder Scrolls fans.

Out of the choices currently in-game? Flygon is good if you have the patience to get it Earthquake, otherwise, you'd be better off with either Noivern or Tyrantrum, depending if you want to go special or physical. No one mentions Altaria because the poor thing just can't live up to the high standards set by other Dragons... (It might be saved by its Mega evo just a little, though. Maybe. Not in Reborn, sadly, since Mega evos won't be going to the player until after the Elite Four. Probably.)

I was just thinking, damn how easier it would be if a player was to get a Trapinch as soon as he got in the Onix Ward (i mean he is available right after you unlock Onix Ward right ? ) Because Flygon ofc, he'd just make a joke out of Aya and a couple of others :D

I'm using both Flygon and Altaria at the moment - and I got Trapinch as soon as he was available.

Trapinch was helpful - but not too greatly. Helpful against Shelly - but her bugs know how to counter Trapinch. It's notoriously slow too - so that gave it a few problems (but Sheer Force is a wonderful ability).

Vibrava was probably worse than Trapinch.

As a Flygon, he's alright I guess. Dragon Claw hits pretty hard, and Rock Slide, Crunch offers some good coverage.

I really like Altaria though. It doesn't hit hard, yes but its pretty fun stalling opponents using Cotton Guard xD

3 of the 4 Dragon available in-game right now are in my team (Altaria is boxed because that thing isn't a Dragon and never will be imo) and yes like many people said Flygon is the most useful but only because of stab earthquake if not Tyrantrum (with Dragon Dance) is better.