Help Cheech learn about EV training.

HaiGengar

What is it, even? Does everyone do it? Are all of my Pokemon exceptionally weak compared to all of yours? WHEN DID I GO WRONG? WHEN DID I STOP LEARNING HOW TO POKEMON? Feeling dumb and stressed. The last game I played was SS, and I wasn't very adamant about it. When did everyone learn how to breed and train like crazy? What do EV/IV stand for? ugh. Help plz.

hello i am here to do the help

EV= Effort Value.

IV= Individual Value.

Every pokemon has 6 IV's, one per stat. They range from 0-31, and they basically gauge how well a stat is going to grow- for every 1 IV, that's one more possible point in said stat at Level 100. People pass these down through breeding in several ways; Destiny Knot passes down 5 IV's from the parent pokemon holding it to the baby, and there are a set of items that you can have a parent pokemon hold to guarantee it'll pass down the IV in said stat- I can find more on that later.

EV Training is easier to manipulate, because EVs don't come down to luck, they come down to time and effort. Every pokemon is allotted 510 "points" to be spent through training- beating wild pokemon. Every wild pokemon yields a certain amount of EV's per stat- for example, killing a Gastly gives one special attack IV. At level 100, every 4 IVs count as another point in a stat! However, you can't just put 510 IV's in one stat- you can only put 252 maximum in one single stat. I can explain more later on anything you're still unclear about.

Let me direct you to the bulbapedia pages on EVs and IVs.

Here is a nifty IV breeding guide I found one day as well!

you can only put 252 maximum in one single stat.

And the max amount of EVs you can put in one stat is 255, it's just usually simplified to 252 because that is the closest number divisible by 4. :^)

Edited by JellyMan

I don't have time for a full answer at the moment, but I can tell you that it's not really necessary to EV train. I don't and I do fine. That might change in the future, but at the moment if you did EV train you'd likely find the game too easy. EV training is more a thing for competitive battling.

• Developers

Pretty much what Silver said.

It's a lot easier once you actually start doing it. Like for example if you wanted to EV train your pokemon in Special attack you would go for a Pokemon with sp att ev values

And like Silver said, EVs are much easier to manipulate than IVs are. IVs are usually pure luck and require a lot of tries to get one you want.

Silver, that was very informative and well explained. What I'm understanding is, in the case of EV training, in order to amp up one of my pokemon's specific stats, I would have to battle pokemon which have high values of that particular stat?

also thanks to Sheep for making me feel better about my average-stats Pokémon. :)

Edited by HaiGengar

• Developers

Pretty much. So if you want to train defense you would look for a Pokemon like geodude who was that defense ev.

Now I bring you to the masterlist of EV points.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/

Just scroll down until you see "by effort values" and every single pokemon will be categorized depending on what EV spread they

distribute.

I personally battle any pokemon that has a value of 2 in the stat I want to train; easier to calculate and keep track of, but that's just a personal thing.

The highest EV value a wild pokemon has is 3 in a stat, IIRC, so keep that in mind.

Silver, that was very informative and well explained. What I'm understanding is, in the case of EV training, in order to amp up one of my pokemon's specific stats, I would have to battle pokemon which have high values of that particular stat?

also thanks to Sheep for making me feel better about my average-stats Pokémon. :)

I was about to ask, haha. I figured people surely couldn't memorize which pokemon had EVs in which stats. You are all lovely! Thanks for helping!! I think IV breeding might not be my forte, and I'll just leave that to the competitive peeps.

I personally battle any pokemon that has a value of 2 in the stat I want to train; easier to calculate and keep track of, but that's just a personal thing.

The highest EV value a wild pokemon has is 3 in a stat, IIRC, so keep that in mind.

IIRC? I feel like I don't understand a lot of abbreviations on this site. haha.

Good to know about the max EV values, and thanks for the tip!

come on guys you should of trolled a little Ev or Eevee training is training eevee, Iv or Iivii is a secret legendary pokemon not known by anyone except our community, other than that yeah what they said

Honestly, I was surprised by the lack of trolling as well. Too bad everyone on here seems so loverly.

You can troll me if you want to.

IVs, in their current form, are a super shitty concept where you have to perform an exorbitant amount of effort just to make it so that your Pokémon aren't strictly worse than everyone else's.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Pokerus virus.

Anyways, Pokerus is a nifty little affliction that will make your mons gain twice the EV values whenever they battle if they're infected. this can cut the time necessary to EV train literally in half... AND the benefits don't go away when the pokemon loses the affliction, the x2 EV effect is permanent.

but you should know that Pokerus is extreamly rare however... theres only a 1 in 21,845 chance of finding a mon infected with it in the wild/ being bred and having it.

here's more on the subject: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9Rus

Edited by Stratos