Best book you have read.

HolyKnight

another one is the "Ender's Game" science fiction Series (There's like 17 books all together) by Orson Scott Card. the guy has invented an entire universe in his stories that's so expansive it rivals "Star wars", not to mention it's well written. again, one of the reasons I got interested in writing in the first place.

I've been meaning to read Ender's Game. It sounds like an awesome series :o

The first thing that always comes to mind is "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. I read it when I was in middle school/high school, but the story is still really fascinating to me.

"Daemon" by Daniel Suarez is written so realistically that it made me afraid to sleep at night. It's a computer science thriller, and if I recall correctly, the author is a computer scientist. It's got some description of video gaming in it too, which is one of my favorite parts. I started reading the sequel, "Freedom" recently, and it's just as suspenseful so far.

Some more of my favorites:

-"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman

-"The Mad Scientist's Daughter" by Cassandra Rose Clarke

-"Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

-"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

-"The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

-"The Circle of Magic" series by Tamora Pierce

I can't choose favorites. ;~;

If you're really looking for the books that influenced me most, I'd have to point you to to the Farseer Trilogy with the sequel trilogy, the Tawny Man Trilogy.

As a boy in middle school, I happened upon the the second book in the Farseer Trilogy, Royal Assassin. I've since read the 3rd and 1st book in series and come to the serious conclusion that I probably would not have continued the series if I had read the first book and hadn't read the second book first, inferring all I could from context about the events of the first.

Let me be clear. If you like happy endings or tales where such things fall neatly into place in the end, this is not for you. If you ever feel for the characters you read about, this will hurt. Game of Thrones/ a Song of Ice and Fire can't top this. The main protagonist goes through too much. Life isn't fair and it is thrown in your face in heap-fulls here. Ultimately this is a tale of loyalty and sacrifice. In the first three books, the protagonist stops a greedy,unscrupulous uncle from usurping the throne. At amazing cost to himself. The second trilogy involves him working to maintain the throne as he has tried to preserve in the previous 3 books, but even that bears the scars of events of the past. The weight of the world's future rides upon his actions, for he is the prophesized Catalyst. The one whose actions will change the future or damn mankind forever to a bleak existence. But nothing ever comes without a price. Ever a price... A pebble may turn the wheel of fate out of its rut, but it is seldom a pleasant experience for the pebble.

Even at the end, wisdom is never claimed by the main character. Just the wisdom of hindsight gathered far too late. Surprisingly, there is a new trilogy in the works with a short excerpt that more sharply defines motivations and shapes characters within events of the backdrop of the first trilogy than it gives new info. Every chapter has a short excerpt, written or studied by the narrator-protagonist that sheds light on relevant subjects to the story. They highlight how one's perspective changes over the course of time and experience. I present to you the writings of a royal bastard, trained as an assassin, loyal to the throne and the family that mostly chose not to recognize him. Here is a glimpse of what awaits the reader: http://io9.com/first-exclusive-look-at-robin-hobbs-next-novel-fools-1533631696

Just about anything by Stephen King is a good read.

The Fae series by Karen Marie Moning comes to mind. I've read so many good novels though...

My favorite book i have ever read is The Long Walk by Stephen King though....i can't even talk about it, i don't even want to reveal the smallest detail. Just read it. It's very philosophical and very fascinating and it's a wonderful work of fiction. Read it.

Both King Murdoc and Maelstrom have recommended Wheel of Time i see. In a matter such as this, i greatly value both of their opinions. I must read those books posthaste.

Edited by chuckles

• 2 weeks later...

If you're really looking for the books that influenced me most, I'd have to point you to to the Farseer Trilogy with the sequel trilogy, the Tawny Man Trilogy.

As a boy in middle school, I happened upon the the second book in the Farseer Trilogy, Royal Assassin. I've since read the 3rd and 1st book in series and come to the serious conclusion that I probably would not have continued the series if I had read the first book and hadn't read the second book first, inferring all I could from context about the events of the first.

Let me be clear. If you like happy endings or tales where such things fall neatly into place in the end, this is not for you. If you ever feel for the characters you read about, this will hurt. Game of Thrones/ a Song of Ice and Fire can't top this. The main protagonist goes through too much. Life isn't fair and it is thrown in your face in heap-fulls here. Ultimately this is a tale of loyalty and sacrifice. In the first three books, the protagonist stops a greedy,unscrupulous uncle from usurping the throne. At amazing cost to himself. The second trilogy involves him working to maintain the throne as he has tried to preserve in the previous 3 books, but even that bears the scars of events of the past. The weight of the world's future rides upon his actions, for he is the prophesized Catalyst. The one whose actions will change the future or damn mankind forever to a bleak existence. But nothing ever comes without a price. Ever a price... A pebble may turn the wheel of fate out of its rut, but it is seldom a pleasant experience for the pebble.

Even at the end, wisdom is never claimed by the main character. Just the wisdom of hindsight gathered far too late. Surprisingly, there is a new trilogy in the works with a short excerpt that more sharply defines motivations and shapes characters within events of the backdrop of the first trilogy than it gives new info. Every chapter has a short excerpt, written or studied by the narrator-protagonist that sheds light on relevant subjects to the story. They highlight how one's perspective changes over the course of time and experience. I present to you the writings of a royal bastard, trained as an assassin, loyal to the throne and the family that mostly chose not to recognize him. Here is a glimpse of what awaits the reader: http://io9.com/first-exclusive-look-at-robin-hobbs-next-novel-fools-1533631696

You just give something great to read mate. Thank you.

Just about anything by Stephen King is a good read.

Stephen King is a boss. One of his novels that I enjoyed most was The Mist (thanks to the freaking movie)

IT is awesome as always, but the sex scene of...you know...was kinda disturbing i mean...the girl reason was kinda fucked up (Dat Turtle, tough)

The Dark Tower saga is amazing, confusing and too damn high but explains everything in King´s macroverse (he appears as a character as well) If you haven´t read the Dark Tower saga and had time, might wanna give it a try or check the wiki if you got stuck in something.

"Daemon" by Daniel Suarez is written so realistically that it made me afraid to sleep at night. It's a computer science thriller, and if I recall correctly, the author is a computer scientist. It's got some description of video gaming in it too, which is one of my favorite parts. I started reading the sequel, "Freedom" recently, and it's just as suspenseful so far.

Just checked what´s about that book and I´ll be damn D: It´s kinda scary if you ask me.......and i love it.

• 1 month later...

A BOOK THREAD? Okay time for my favorites.

Cirque Du Freak, 12 books, (Also called the Saga of Darren Shan) by Darren Shan

Saga of Larten Crepsley, 3 books, by Darren Shan

Demonata, 10 books, by Darren Shan

Zom-B ,8 books out but only read 3, (I can't find any copies here in america) by Darren Shan

The Thin Executioner by Darren Shan

Percy Jackson and The Olympians, 5 books, by Rick Riordan

Heroes of Olympus, 4 books and counting, by Rick Riordan

The Kane Chronicles, 3 books, by Rick Riordan

The Gatekeepers, 6 books, (also called The Power of Five) by Anthony Horowitz

Five Ancestors, 5 books, by Jeff Stone

Artemis Fowl, 8 books, by Eoin Colfer

Horns, by Joe Hill

Department 19, 4 books, Will Hill

Maximum Ride, 4 books in original series and 4 spin off books, James Patterson

Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, 5 books, can be read alongside Slayer Chronicles, 3 books, by Heather Brewer

And I'm always looking for recommendations if you have similar taste in books.

Edited by Hutch333

Since I got a kindle last summer, I've taken to reading the free classics from the amazon kindle store. I'd never read Pride and Prejudice before, so I started that almost a year ago and just recently finished. I mentioned several times while I was reading it that the deeper I got into it, the more I hated it. But now I feel like I have to retract all of that because it ended much more nicely than it began and made its way on my favorites list.

Also currently reading The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke, and I'm going to go ahead and add it to my list of favorites now because I'm really enjoying it. It's such a relief to read because it's quite different from most YA science fiction/fantasy, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Um...Hm....Ah!

The Wings of Fire saga is good. That one's by Tui T. Sutherland

And so is the Blazed triology....and Meet Me Halfway Sagas. Those are by Corri Lee...availiable for free, I think...Look on Smashwords or in your Nook Store...Amazon charges. also, nsfw because they're adult books

The stormlight archive is a fantastic fantasy series, Its even beginning to beat game of thrones in my opinion when it comes to that genre. It's well written with very deep interesting characters, also without the fanservice of GoT (thank god)

Im gonna read that. I hate fanservice

The most recently read books that are of quality to me include:

- The Ender's Game series > Quite a few books in the series, the first "Ender's Game" is a must and is very much different than the other books where the very young genius protagonist is the center of the story and the dialogue is very enjoyable. The sequels speak of a much older mc along with other characters of focus, and is still a great read even though it lacks the charisma of the first. There is a parallel series focus in the same universe where the mc is another young genius who is also part of Ender's close circle. *On a personal note, I'm quite annoy with people who complain about the believes of the author and his literary work when his believes don't even manifest in them, but alas, anything to get ones ideals across right?*

- The Stormlight Archives > Two lengthy books are out and many more in the future as this is going to be a epic saga of length that focuses on many characters of import, but only chosen to focus a few in each book. All the focused characters are very memorable and unique, and I personally look out for Kaladin, and his beautiful spirit like being Syl, who is a spren. There is of course Shallan, the female counterpart of Kaladin, so no worry girls, plenty of female focus here as well. The "magic" system is solid, unique, and still growing. The extra illustrations are a plus. I think one would eventually find at least one being they would root for in this saga what with its rich roster of characters, and it's just book two!

- The Kingkiller Chronicles > IIRC, two books have come out from this trilogy of which is part one of the entire story where in the future there will be part two with another trilogy which is a sequel. I have to get it out right now, the author is notorious for taking his time, so it would be a long wait for the next release, but I digress. The way we are getting the story is of the nature of an audience to the story telling of the mc's past by the mc himself to a somewhat famous chronicler. I have to be honest here, some of the events would seem ridiculous, but still doesn't take away the good parts of the story. Also, a great many moments one might wonder how does that contribute to the plot, but somehow still keeps you turning the pages. To give a very short idea of the story is that the mc's family is kill by a group of mystical beings and so he traverse to places and learn skills all the while searching for them to revenge his family. Pseudo magic, "magic", combat skills, and other handy things he learn and polish along his vengeful journey. Oh, did I mention some awkward romance have been throw in? Though I can say it's trivial...

- Raven's Shadow > So far, two books have been released from the sage, and fans are waiting for the next like hungry babies. The first book, "Blood Song" focuses on the mc Vaelin al Sorna from his childhood til his adulthood and with plenty of blood thrown in between. The second book is no less bloodier, but is no longer only center around one person. The world, at least the realm the mc resides has a very medieval feel to it, witch hunt anyone? The dark, or the gifted is some who call those with abilities in which some people fear, others respect. If you prefer a mc of a more serious attitude toward things then this one might be it, and it is also his some times silent, and mysterious actions that give him his charisma. Duels, battles, war, scheming old man, strong minded princess, religious fanatics, ethnic discrimination, cultural clashes, sexual violence, unique "magic" system, powerful yet powerless mc, evil forces at work, and big dogs and bigger cats all here.

You can see I include little of what each stories is about because it would be much easier, cleaner, and properly worded from other sources easily accessible to you. What I mostly include is a bit of how I feel and I how that is enough. You will also see that most of what I read recently is of the epic fantasy genre with the Ender's Game sage being the science fiction genre, usually I just want a good mc that doesn't baby around and can dish it out in mind and body. Hope I helped, and happy reading :D

• 3 weeks later...

"It", "Under the Dome" and "Salem's Lot" written by Stephan King are great!!! Edgar Alan Poe, Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island), Ken Follett (Fall of Giants ) are amazing writers too and I am a huge fan of " A Song of Ice and Fire" (GOT) by George RR Martin. " Ender's Game" is a very good book and "Speaker for the Dead" , the sequel, is even better

the Night Angel Trilogy written by Brent Weeks.

The first book is Into The Shadows.

The second book is Shadow's Edge.

The third book is Beyond The Shadows.

A book series that completely reversed my entire outlook on life and existence, shaped me from a person I used to be-- A douche bag jock, slightly illiterate and fully ignorant with the priorities of money, popularity, and appearance, into what I consider myself now. I guess... The exact opposite? The series itself, I cannot truly explain and do it justice.

In the end, it simply inspired a passion within me which lead from one thing to another. Hopefully, if anyone decides to flip through its pages, maybe it will do the same for you.

You wanted to know more about the Wheel of Time saga right?

Well, if you liked the LotR trilogy... WoT is like 10 times better (like if you look at Gandalf, you can see how he doesn't have a developed magic system, as he rarely ever uses magic at all and really only serves as the wizened old man who knows much and says little- not to mention 90% of the action in the movies or the books is WALKING). There is way more to it than can really be covered in a simple summary, but let's see how many of the world's threads I can condense together here.

At the beginning of time, the Creator made the world and imprisoned the Dark Lord of death and destruction. The wheel of time is the image used to describe the cyclical flow of time, the way that the forces of light and dark continue to struggle to usher in dark and golden ages in turn. However the Dark One's real goal is to destroy all of existence and break the wheel of time, however the wheel of time always spins out one soul as champion and leader of the forces of light in the darkest hours. This man is known as the Dragon.

There is a system of magic in the world which is called the One Power or the source, but it is divided into two halves: male and female. Only a man can channel the male side of the power and females the other, but not everybody is gifted. The magic is comprised of a few basic components (fire, water, earth, wind, and spirit) that are threaded together to make a sort weave that is in essence a spell that does one thing or another. In the past age, men and women used their powers together to create a golden age of wonders. But in their study and curiosity, they accidentally bored a hole in reality into the Dark One's prison, allowing him to more strongly touch and influence the world again. Magic wielders whose allegiance were to the dark one ( who were promised power and eternal life) revealed themselves and became known as dreadlords. The rest rallied and fought back, but in disunity. While many fought back the armies of the dark one, the Dragon was only able to summon the help of other men in an attempt to seal the hole. And it worked... imperfectly. They were able to seal the dark one and a dozen of his greatest dreadlords back into his prison, but without meshing with the female half of the one power, it could only serve as a patch on the breach. Before being sealed, the dark one counterattacked, tainting the male half of the Source with his own darkness. Now, no man could channel the power without being touched by his evil. With use, it slowly turned every male channeler mad. And they broke the world with their channeling. Quite literally.

Not even the dragon was immune. In his own madness, he slew everyone he cared about. It was then that one remaining dreadlord healed his mind enough to let him see and comprehend what he had done. In his grief he channeled to himself more of the one power than his body could handle. A giant, spewing mountain formed where he had stood in his final moments.

In the years following this breaking of the world, much of the world's knowledge was lost and the women channelers took it upon themselves to kill or permanently sever the magic of any man who manifested the talent to channel the one power.

But the wheel of time continues to turn and it was foretold that the dragon would come again, and once again break the world even as he was supposed to save it from the Dark One. With the taint on the male half and the prophecy of yet another breaking, the coming of the dragon became feared and despised as the end of days.

And it is in this setting, years later, that at last the Dragon is reborn and the story truly begins (spanning 14 books) with three unassuming village boys around whom fate begins to weave.

And it doesn't touch upon a lot of things, but merely sets you up with backstory that is really only revealed bit by bit in the story.

This world is rich in nations and peoples with well thought out and developed customs, histories, and personalities that really do make Tolkien's pale in comparison.

On a side note, if Ame is still looking for inspiration for male characters/personalities, there are plenty of those in here. Not that she won't find many females to look at and enjoy. After the fall of the male channelers, the women channelers began to shape and influence the world to their own designs and does not lack at all for strong female characters.

I'm reading the Wheel of Time now, actually. I own all the books, and so far I'm on Knife of Dreams. I'd highly recommend reading them as well to anyone who enjoys fantasy. Although 14 books do take quite a while to read.