Rankshifts... Oh, Rankshifts...

This month's a fun one, everyone!
Sit down, while I share with you all a story of calculations and miscalculations that weren't actually miscalculations! Now, if you recall from the wordy first topic I made this season, a leader's ranking is influenced by the leader exactly one block above them- in essence, one leader could "carry" another one up higher, indirectly.

So, that said... There were several iterations of this rankshift; Amethyst plugged in the numbers as we do every month, and...

Aya
Laura
Anna
Titania
Arclight
Noel
Terra
Amaria
Ciel
Adrienn
Charlotte
Bennett
Luna
Serra
Shade
Hardy
Saphira
Samson

As you can see, there are some very strange things going on here! Not only did Charlotte drop like a rock (ironic, because even Hardy went basically nowhere! ^^) but Saphira did the exact opposite, all thanks to Samson! This, uhm... Well, certainly this couldn't have been right, so Ame decided to try and base it on individual win rates instead. Maybe that would help!

Terra
Amaria
Ciel
Noel
Aya
Anna
Charlotte
Hardy
Serra
Laura
Saphira
Arc
Shade
Luna
Titania
Adrienn
Bennett
Samson

Nope.

Aya
Laura
Titania
Anna
Arclight
Noel
Adrienn
Bennett
Luna
Amaria
Terra
Ciel
Serra
Shade
Saphira
Charlotte
Samson
Hardy

This order was based on the expected difficulty of challenger (or so Ame says, I'm not sure what she means...) and was still a little off, so naturally, Ame decided to cheat bend the rules add a new rule to the super secret formula in an attempt to make it more normal... And so, we're left with the final shift:

Aya
Laura
Anna
Titania
Arclight
Noel
Amaria
Ciel
Adrienn
Bennett
Luna
Serra
Shade
Saphira
Samson
Terra
Charlotte
Hardy

Much better!

As always, for reference, the results of the rank shift can be found both on the Leader Line-up and the Leader Schedule pages! If you're the type that likes to save time, the schedule image can be seen below-

availa.png

You go, Hardy!

Until we meet again, keep up the questions for Terra's interview! I was rudely excluded last time, but this time around I'll be sure to spice it up a bit! Just a shame it had to be for Terra... Really, could it have been someone less... loud and one-dimensional?

You voted, however, and so I shall deliver!

XOXO
Regretful Strikeout Gardevoir

Darn here I was hoping that Samson would be one of the champions with those numbers.

well one can dream

holy shit amy climb back up pls I want to relive my ultimate challenge against you like I did last season

can Tania climb back up? lets see it happen!

That's annoying. I was hoping that Charlotte would drop more (also I'm ignoring that the rankshifts appear to have been stacked solely to keep her up).

Ame's knows that the second one is the real one. Titania all the way up, Terra as an entry leader and Xerneas and Genesect in the league.

Well, at least that last one looks more... "normal", if i can say that. Hope that Samson and Saphira drop all the way down again enjoy the "new block" ^^

^ Not to mention Xerneas

I'm joining the Go Back Up Amaria campaign, because Water types are the best!

Also extremely glad I already have Samson's and Saphira's badges... These two on the upper blocks are going to wreck a lot of stuff.

Edited by Notus

Love how the ranks basically say "screw smogon".

plz don't let adrienn rank up more qq xerneas would anihilate everyone

Edited by Telos

^ Not to mention Xerneas

I'm joining the Go Back Up Amaria campaign, because Water types are the best!

I'm more in the: #Aya4Champ campaign, but yeah, Amaria needs to go back up. Looks like the rain nerf affected her more than i thought.

• Support Squad

Everyone's messing around with the Reborn league leader schedules, and I'm just sitting here waiting until Europe gets league...

Wo/Manmode it bro. Sometimes I've been up so long for league i give up hope for sleep and pull all nighters. Although i understand if you have to sleep for school and whatnot.

Edited by DobbyTheElf

• Administrators

That's annoying. I was hoping that Charlotte would drop more (also I'm ignoring that the rankshifts appear to have been stacked solely to keep her up).

Assuming this isn't completely serious, but to be fair the rankshifts have always been stacked solely to keep the champion(s) up, if you're going to word it like that. In previous seasons with only one champion it was statistically impossible for the champion to drop from that spot. (Okay, not impossible, but, they-would-have-to-lose-basically-every-battle-for-a-month unlikely)

Which is weird, it shoudn't be that bad in triples.

Amaria explicitly said once that she avoided triples in the past because challengers didn't like it, but I guess that went out the window with X-League last season

Darn here I was hoping that Samson would be one of the champions with those numbers.

well one can dream

holy shit amy climb back up pls I want to relive my ultimate challenge against you like I did last season

can Tania climb back up? lets see it happen!

Hardy and Titania for champion block, the rivalry will be here

The post was semi-serious. But with full seriousness, why IS it stacked to keep the Champions up? imo if the Champion doesn't have the skill to stay up there, then there should be a new champion. Not to mention it's unfair on the lower ranked leaders who are capped no matter how well they do.

Hasn't Charlotte only had like three or four challengers?

Since the higher leaders get less and better challengers. They should have worse ratios of wins to losses (Fewer battles overall means ratios change more drastically. Better challengers make them more likely to lose. And someone who sucks isn't reaching the top like that) So stacking it in their favor a bit seems prudent

Ah, but you see, it's not explicitly stacked in anyone's favor, though!
I wrote about this a while back, with admittedly far too many words and numbers- http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3879- though it IS a little different with three champions instead of one, I imagine.

I'm unsure of exactly how Ame cheated adjusted the formula to make the changes a little less crazy (who knew Ame could make things less crazy? ^^), so maybe she can shed some light on the subject?

[...]

Amaria explicitly said once that she avoided triples in the past because challengers didn't like it, but I guess that went out the window with X-League last season

[...]

Oh I didn't know that. Very nice of her actually.

Also Kyra's got a point there. With few challengers making it up to the Elite and Champions, if they lose a few battles it will make a huge diference, unlike the lower blocks.

Edited by Notus

• Administrators

From what I gather that's basically all it is- making it "less crazy." Were it based purely on win rate, leaders would be all over the place and we'd have a new champion(s) every month; there would be a lot of people screwed out of battles by sudden jumps or drops, and the leaders higher up that battle like 2-3 times a week would have skewed win/loss ratios and be unfairly ranked. In that sense, Kyra's got the right idea, I think

You serious? NOW I HAVE TO FIGHT AMARIA AND *checks leaders* NOEL IN SECOND AND THIRD BLOCK? At this rate I'll never reach block 4 qq

Side note: But boy am I glad that I'm fighting them sooner rather than later... Mega Kangaskhan in league kowai :C

Edited by Jory