Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Mining Percentages

Phlytosion

Question

So I've been searching for a Helix fossil for quite some time now (days), and no luck so far. I think I have found everything available except that. While searching, I thought of something.

I've seen forum topics relating to Pokemon locations and EV's for each Pokemon in that location. So I thought about the mining statistics. The closest thing I could find to mining statistics were in this thread.

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4723&hl=mining

However, this old thread doesn't really help my cause. I'm really trying to figure out the percentages and rarity of each item that can be obtained through mining. Does anyone know of a place in the forums where this may already exist? If not, then I'm assuming the following order of rarity:

Fossils (Gen 1 - Gen 4 fossils only)

Plates (All 18 types)

Heart Scales / (Max) Revives

Evolution Stones (Water, Fire, Thunder, Moon, Leaf, Sun)

Odd Keystone

Rare Bone / Star Piece

Hold Items (Weather Rocks, Oval Stone, Light Clay, Hard Stone, Iron Ball)

Shards (Red, Blue, Green, Purple)

Also, is there a possibility that a plate will spawn in the same wall as a fossil? I don't remember seeing this ever occur.

I think that covers all the mining items off the top of my head. If I think of something else, I'll edit this post. Again, I'm hoping a topic exists showing percentages (because I like to see percentages so I don't feel bad, okay?), but if not, maybe we can collaborate and make one after I find that fucking Helix fossil.

Edited by Phlytosion

15 answers to this question

Don't worry mate, i've never found that Claw Fossil. And i'm searching for it ever since i discovered mining. Yeah, i feel bad.

I don't know how that would work though. I can soft reset a lot in front of a rock and see what i can achieve, but... I don't know, it could be kinda hard to do it. I'd like a percentage thing though, it would be kinda nice.

Side note: You can find Star Pieces and Rare Bones in rocks. The odd keystone and there's probably more.

From my mining experiences of trying to obtain all the fossils I'm sure that the rarest items are definitely the fossils. It seems to my perspective anyway, that the percentage of fossils spawning are really damn low, however I'm not sure if there's a percentage applied to the TYPE of fossil that will spawn (IE Helix, Claw, Root, etc). However, I had never mined a rock that had 2 fossils at once.

Plates are just as rare as the fossils or a little less rare. Going up the list is the evolution stones (not counting oval stone cuz that's pretty common), and then Max Revives -> Heart Scales -> $$$ items like rare bones, star pieces, etc. -> Odd keystones (surprisingly common) -> hold items and shards being the most common.

I'd like to contribute. However, from the sound of it, it's almost as if the fossils that can be mined are determined after the player is created. I can find Root fossils, Claw fossils, Armor fossils, Shield fossils, and essentially anything but the first gen fossils (meaning I can't get the 6th gen ones either).

I don't think that many items are more rare than others.

We can agree that Plates and Hold Items are the most common finds.

Sell items (rare bone & star piece) should follow.
After that might be evolutionary stones.
Next could be heart scales/revives.
Following that is plates.
And lastly are fossils.

All of this being from personal mining experiences over hundreds of times. (I will find you, Lord Helix)

6th gen fossils cannot be mined nor can the 5th gen fossils. And as much as I like to think that the percentage of the types of fossils that can be found are equally distributed, it does not seem to be the case now that I think back. I mined more almighty Helix fossils than I wished and fewer of the other fossils.

I've fixed some suggestions up top in the first post. I think that maybe Odd Keystones may be as rare as evolution stones, but I do seem to find them often, which is a letdown due to the fact that they look vaguely similar to fossils.

Don't worry mate, i've never found that Claw Fossil. And i'm searching for it ever since i discovered mining. Yeah, i feel bad.

I've actually found at least 2 of each fossil, with the claw fossil being the most frequent for me.If trading were a thing, I'd definitely give you one Vinny.

Plates are just as rare as the fossils or a little less rare. Going up the list is the evolution stones (not counting oval stone cuz that's pretty common), and then Max Revives -> Heart Scales -> $$$ items like rare bones, star pieces, etc. -> Odd keystones (surprisingly common) -> hold items and shards being the most common.

I would say the oval stone to be a hold item, considering you have to give it to Happiny and level it up to evolve.

I could also help out in maybe determining percentages and update this. Maybe do it out of 100 times and base estimates from this.

I get a fossil maybe once every 30 resets if I'm lucky. It's probably just coincidence, but I get claw and root fossils the most. I was trying to get a skull fossil so I could breed an Aggron with head smash, and it seriously took me over 100 soft resets to get one. Then I found out that the museum can kill your fossils, so I didn't save before I gave it to him. Naturally, it died. 50+ resets later and I got another one. Then it died 4 times in a row, and I finally got my Cranidos on the 5th try. During that entire time, I was looking for a Helix fossil as well, and I didn't see one.

I honestly think she made the Helix fossil much rarer because of it's specific use. I also have 3 Psychic plates and 4 pixie plates, and none other. I honestly though those were the only two.

...And I still haven't seen a single Pixie Plate. And had no idea you could actually mine them. At all.

Anyway, Fossils are definitely the rarest, but I'm sure I've seen at least one of each in my entire time playing on my main file. Usually when I wasn't looking for them, so you just have to be lucky. Y'all have really cruddy luck, it seems. I know that feel.

Sun Stone and Moon Stone are a bit rarer than the other evolutionary stones too, I think. At least, I've seen less of them than I have Fire/Water/Leaf/Thunder.

...And I still haven't seen a single Pixie Plate. And had no idea you could actually mine them. At all.

Anyway, Fossils are definitely the rarest, but I'm sure I've seen at least one of each in my entire time playing on my main file. Usually when I wasn't looking for them, so you just have to be lucky. Y'all have really cruddy luck, it seems. I know that feel.

Sun Stone and Moon Stone are a bit rarer than the other evolutionary stones too, I think. At least, I've seen less of them than I have Fire/Water/Leaf/Thunder.

The first 3 plates i found were Pixie Plates...

(200th post!)

Edited by Mikzal

In my old save file I got every fossil obtainable bar Old Amber (cause Ame took it out .-.) and it took me a 4 days of soft-resetting in front of rocks at least 2-3 hours a day. So they're definitely the rarest.

Some resets later:

Okay, i got this after 100 Resets. From rare to common. Total of items found: 308

Fossils:
2 Armor Fossils
2 Root Fossils
(Percentage: 1%)
Plates:
2 Iron Plate
3 Earth Plate
2 Fist Plate
1 Insect Plate
1 Sky Plate
1 Icicle Plate
1 Zap Plate
2 Spooky Plate
1 Stone Plate
1 Draco Plate
1 Flame Plate
(Percentage: 5%)
Evo Stones:
12 Oval Stones
2 Leaf Stones
4 Thunderstone
2 Moon Stones
1 Water Stone
1 Sun Stone
2 Fire Stones
(Percentage: 7%)
Miscellaneous:
21 Heart Scales
6 Odd Keystones
12 Star Pieces
8 Rare Bones
12 Revives
3 Max Revives
(Percentage: 20%)
Held Items:
20 Everstone
22 Hard Stone
9 Light Clay
9 Heat Rock
19 Iron Ball
10 Damp Rock
4 Icy Rock
3 Smooth Rock
(Percentage: 30%)
Shards:
30 Red Shards
22 Purple Shards
30 Blue Shards
23 Green Shards
(Percentage: 37%)

So i'm guessing fossils and plates are the most rare stuff around. Although based on what people said, it might simply be luck. Some people get more fossils, other gets more evo stones. Funny thing is, i've hardly found any fossils, but then i found 4 fossils... and 2 root fossils that i never found before. I don't know what to think exactly.

ok so i took a look at the code of the game and got the probabilities for all the items.. seeing the fossil rate makes me cry.. though all types are available.. its just dependent on your luck.. here goes..

Fossils x6 - 0.28%
Plates x17 - 0.35%
Stones x6 - .71%
Max revive / duration rocks x3 - 1.76%
Star piece / revive / rare bone / light clay / iron ball / odd keystone - 3.52%
Oval stone / Ever stone - 5.29%
Hard stone / heart scale - 7.05%
shards x4 - 8.81%
you cant get multiple fossils or plates in one round,, however you can get multiple heart scales..

I was about to testr the different amounts you can get mining (i.e. 2, 3, or 4 items to be possibly mined), giving me a total of 300 attempts. But from what has been shown, its clear that fossils have a less than 5% chance to spawn. Considering the helix fossil is considered to be an event item, I would assume that its rarity shouldn't be any different from the other fossils.

I still may do some testing of my own and see how my results compare to yours Vinny.