6SS1G- 1st Gen Shinies

Amethyst

• Administrators

So whereas the other topic is for coming up with ideas on which shiny changes to make, this is for actually implementing them.

And fair warning, this is where I am going to get really picky.

Keep in mind we need both front and back sprites for everything. Back sprites should be Gen V style-- Feel free to take the files from the Game Folder/Graphics/Battlers to edit but when you do be sure you grab the non-shiny backsprite for editing since the existing shiny back files are Gen IV style

I'll keep the list below updated of what's been done and what hasn't. Also, these ideas are not immutable. If you have a better idea, feel free to make that one too- but again, no promises that it'll get used.

Bulbasaur- Match Venusaur
Ivysaur- Match Vensuraur
Venasaur- Toxic Venusaur
Charmander- Match charizard
Charmeleon- Match charizard
Charizard- Charizard X
Squirtle- Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle!!
Wartortle- Match Squirtle
Blastoise- Match Squirtle
Caterpie- Match butterfree
Metapod- Match butterfree
Butterfree- Pink butterfree from anime
Weedle- Match Beedrill
Kakuna- Match Beedrill
Beedrill- Ice Drill/wing

Pidgey- Match Pidgeot
Pidgeotto- Match Pidgeot
Pidgeot- I guess black? Unless we can do something that looks like Bird Jesus
Rattata- Match
Raticate- League of Legends' Twitch
Spearow- Match Fearow
Fearow- Maybe look like a vulture?

Ekans- Match Arbok
Arbok- Hazmat pattern on wings; different colour body?
Pikachu- Match Raichu
Raichu- Black/Red

Sandshew- SANIC
Sandslash- WHAT THE FUCK IS A SANIC

NidoranF- Match
Nidorina- Match Nidoqueen
Nidoqueen- Mecha
NidoranM- Match
Nidorino- Match
Nidoking- Mecha
Clefairy- Match
Clefable- Gengar

Vulpix- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Ninetales- Acceptable as default
Jigglypuff- Match
Wigglytuff- Maybe a light blue or something

Zubat- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Golbat- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.

Oddish- Match
Gloom- Match

Vileplume- Valencia Island Vileplume
Paras- Zombie Paras
Parasect- Zombie Parasect white/red
Venonat- match

Venomoth- maybe a firey venomoth
Diglet- Crystal
Dugtrio- Crystal
Meowth- Black
Persian- Black
Psyduck- Blue

Golduck- Gold
Mankey- Match?
Primeape- Covered in blood? idek. Alternatively grey base fur and maybe red gloves instead of brown

Growlithe- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Arcanine- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.

Poliwag- Match
Poliwhirl- Match
Poliwrath- blue > Azurine water colour

Abra- Mimic PULSE form
Kadabra- Match
Alakazam- Mecha
Machop- Zombie
Machoke- Zombie
Machamp- Zombie
Bellsprout- Match
Weepinbell- Match
Victreebel- Baseed on this http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02082/pitcher-plant_2082228i.jpg
Tentacool- Red/pink-- "Ruby of the sea"
Tentacruel- Black/red
Geodude- Black
Graveler- Coal-ish
Golem- Molten

Ponyta- Match Rapidash
Rapidash- Rainbow Dash
Slowpoke- Shellder colours
Slowbro- Match Slowpoke

Magnemite- Reserved
Magneton- Reserved
Farfetch'd- Miku
Doduo- Match
Dodrio- Pinkan
Seel- Match
Dewgong- Walrein
Grimer- Match

Muk- Mimic PULSE-- This is a passable front sprite http://prntscr.com/36wqkm
Shellder- Match Slowbro shiny shelder
Cloyster- Match Shelder
Gastly- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Haunter- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Gengar- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.

Onix- Crystal
Drowzee- Match
Hypno- Reserved
Krabby- Match Kingler
Kingler- Clawitzer
Voltorb- Ultraball
Electrode- Masterball!
Exeggcute- Match Exeggutor
Exeggutor- Base the heads off of Ocarina of Ages's seocnd boss; body to match
Cubone- Match Marowak
Marowak- Ghost Marowak
Hitmonlee- Rock Lee

Hitmonchan- Little Mac
Lickitung- Match Lickilicky (Reverse colours)
Koffing- Match Wheezing
Weezing- Reverse smoke/body

Rhyhorn- Match Rhyperior
Rhydon- Match Rhyperior (Black/silver)
Chansey- Match Blissey (Ashen with traces of red)

Tangela- Reserved
Kangaskhan- Reverse colours of parent/child
Horsea- Match Kingdra
Seadra- Match Kingdra (Dragalge colors)

Goldeen- Black/orange
Seaking- reverse white/black
Staryu- Starmie
Starmie- Teal/blue/purple

Mr.Mime- Reserved
Scyther- Squire Scyther
Jynx- League of Legends' jinx colors.

Electabuzz- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Magmar- Match Magmortar (Black/Purple)
Pinsir- Mecha
Tauros- Gradient fur sections, going darker towards rear OR SOMETHING IDK
Magikarp- Acceptable as default
Gyarados- Acceptable as default

Lapras-White/purple
Ditto- Acceptable as is
Eevee-Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Vaporeon- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Jolteon- Only back-sprite needed. See existing shiny front sprite for reference.
Flareon- Magenta base fur, darker purple collar

Porygon- RBY style!
Omanyte- Match Omastar
Omastar- ALL HAIL HELIX
Kabuto- Match Kabutops
Kabutops- Black

Aerodactyl- Devil
Snorlax- Snowman Snorlax
Articuno- White

Zapdos- Black body, becomes white at tips (or yellow)
Moltres- Dark body, magenta-range flame (purple red parts of it)
Dratini- Match Dragonair
Dragonair- Dragonite colours
Dragonite- Dragonair colours
Mewtwo- Match Mew

Mew- Acceptable as is

Have at it!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all .... anyone... please tell me when I´m doing too much, otherwise I´ll spam everything I wanna make cuz I feel like it xD

Poliwrath-evolution line. First two pokemon aren´t THAT different from the original shiny, but that´s because their blue is already nice. They´re a bit brighter and blue-ish though, and Poliwrath doesn´t have that ugly green anymore.

And since I like Eveelutions a lot, I´m gonna add their Gen V backsprites ;)

Flareon- Magenta base fur, darker purple collar

Uhhh... Like this one? Tried to make the collar purple and the body magenta, so

that´s how the false prophet looks now.

Do I have to do male and female sprites both? Are those actually in the game? ^^" Cuz I never see the difference xD

Ah well, just to be safe: Male and female zubat backsprite, since frontsprite already exists:

Females have a pixel shorter teeth... Wow :o

Shiny-backsprite for Golbat ;D

Red/Pink Tentacool? Well, I hope that one is cool enough ^^

Cuz it said "Ruby of the sea" and I took the ruby part a bit literally and gave it ruby colors ;D

Edited by UnprofessionalAmateur

• Administrators

No, you're doing great. I was actually hoping you'd pick up some of these because you do well with them

Ruby of the Sea is a reference to the anime-- Misty says that Tentacool are called that in one of the early episodes of the anime so I wanted to embody that. The other Tenta family you did wasn't bad, and it did help me to realise that it was probably the body that needed to be the vivid colour. This take is pretty good.

With Poli- family I think my notes were a little unclear, so sorry about that. In writing, "blue > whatever" I meant like, change the the blue to the Azurine colour-- that tawny brown pollution lake colour, so it's like the water type has absorbed the region's pollution. Thinking about it, maybe bonus points if this is made more clear by that colour (or maybe even the rancid wine colour from the factory) being imprinted as splotches across Poliwrath, like the pollution shows up as murk-coloured hives or something on its body. That might be pretty difficult though.

Unless it's something pretty obvious (like Hippowdon) I'm not concerned about gender differences. I'll take whichever looks cooler.

Marked all those except Polis off the list.

I don´t get most references to the anime, only one I´d get is probably "GARY MOTHERF****** OAK" xD

Maybe it´s because I never really watched the anime ^^"

I thought it should be azure blue :D Ah well, azurine lake´s color would make more sense I guess.

I´ll try making those splotches on them. The problem is that when I try using that wine color from the factory´s pollution, it looks more like blood than some kind of pollution.

So shall I use the default color and try to make blobs on it with the color of the azurine lake or

should they look bloody? :D

I´d like to try making blobs and so on on them, can´t promise anything though , it already sounds pretty difficult and I´m not really some kind of pixel-artist :D

• Administrators

I´ll try making those splotches on them. The problem is that when I try using that wine color from the factory´s pollution, it looks more like blood than some kind of pollution.

So shall I use the default color and try to make blobs on it with the color of the azurine lake or

should they look bloody? :D

I´d like to try making blobs and so on on them, can´t promise anything though , it already sounds pretty difficult and I´m not really some kind of pixel-artist :D

I could see how that would be an issue. Feel free to tweak it or use blending colours. Play around with it~

So yeah, I don't have enough time to do the others, but here's black dragonite!

KnCN6Az.pngIb16XGL.png

Also, I wasn't sure about scyther, so did you mean this one?

NY2g9qm.png

Right. I like the concept with Scyther, but aside from needing a back sprite I probably wouldn't include this sprite in the game as is. It shares some key issues with that dragonite recolour in that, firstly, we're losing the contrast of the shades so the image appears flat, and secondly, some of the outline pixels don't pop enough which makes it appear less crisp.

I've never done pixel art before, so I'm not sure if these are good enough for the game. But hey, might as well give it a shot!

edited for transparency issues whoops

Edited by Freya

Well, I tried to play around with the colors a bit, like painting those whine-red colors from pulse-muk´s pollution as dots on it, but I dunno if it´s alright as it looks now.

I also gave it the azurine color as well, so now it´s really diry. Poor thing :(

Ah well, before I work on the evolutions, I wanna post it here so I know if it´s alright as it is or if there is anything I could improve :D

Is this what you meant by 'zombie'? If you like it, I can make the whole evolution line, but it takes quite long so I just did this one for now

inihk5zq.pngt2hwv82q.png

Edited by Calvius

Well, I took that passable Muk you linked and I made it´s colors a bit darker by taking the original colors from the polluted water and so on ;D

Then I wanted to make it´s tongue brown-ish, like the water from the azurine-lake, but I kinda like that radiation-green tongue.

A wild SANIC appeared. Now I found out what Sanic is. I mean I didn´t want my ears to be destroyed by that remix or anything like that when I looked it up xD

I also tried to make a rainbow-dash shiny, but I dunno if I should remove the other flames or color them. So it´s still not done.

Also done another one without flames and hooves.

Is this what you meant by 'zombie'? If you like it, I can make the backsprite and the whole evolution line, but it takes quite long so I just did this one for now

inihk5zq.png

I´m not the one to decide if this is good or not (I think it looks awesome though, really like the missing arm and finger ^-^),

but to me it looks more like a skin colour an alien invader would have ^^"

why not have a brighter, blue/grey skin color? Like a greyer version of the actual Machamp? Like making it look like the skin color of a dead machamp that just died?

Just my two cents I throw in here, wait ´till Ame says something about your Machamp before you do anything :3

EDIT: Ah damn, I already had a post I could add this to. Can someone add this to my previous one? ^^"

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't just post again... That way we don't need to go back and check your old posts each time... EDIT: Didn't know that was a double post, nvm.

Anyway, I took a shot (or two) at Kabuto and Kabutops. If they're okay'd, then I'll go ahead and make the back sprites.

29fbbs3.pngfd5b0x.png

23vyfzb.pngzl6v7b.png

Not sure which is better, though I think I prefer the black/white one.

Edited by Flux

EDIT: Ah damn, I already had a post I could add this to. Can someone add this to my previous one? ^^"

I'll make an execption on this... Cuz your other post is about your sprites, so i think it's better (It keeps things more organized) to leave it like that, even if it's a double post...

If any other Staff members disagree, feel free to say it...

• Administrators

I've never done pixel art before, so I'm not sure if these are good enough for the game. But hey, might as well give it a shot!

gmXI1MF.png

edited for transparency issues whoops

That's not too bad... I think it just needs a bit of cleaning up. Specifically, the outlines around the feet, both facings, and then the pixelation shading around the tail as a whole on the back sprite and very tip of the tail on the front.

Well, I tried to play around with the colors a bit, like painting those whine-red colors from pulse-muk´s pollution as dots on it, but I dunno if it´s alright as it looks now.

I also gave it the azurine color as well, so now it´s really diry. Poor thing :(

Ah well, before I work on the evolutions, I wanna post it here so I know if it´s alright as it is or if there is anything I could improve :D

Poliwags look great; I'll put those in once we have matching evos

Well, I took that passable Muk you linked and I made it´s colors a bit darker by taking the original colors from the polluted water and so on ;D

Then I wanted to make it´s tongue brown-ish, like the water from the azurine-lake, but I kinda like that radiation-green tongue.

A wild SANIC appeared. Now I found out what Sanic is. I mean I didn´t want my ears to be destroyed by that remix or anything like that when I looked it up xD

0AkEF0B.png

I also tried to make a rainbow-dash shiny, but I dunno if I should remove the other flames or color them. So it´s still not done.

U5sGf44.png

Muk looks good; I'll put that in.

With Sandshrew, can we get more contrast in the shades of blue? As it is we're losing the definition of its scales.

Sandslash... is a bit better, but are those colour shades on the same actual colour? Could we make the 'spikes' a bit darker than the rest of its body? I know that's not a sonic thing but it'd look a bit truer to Sandslash.

With Ponyta, go with whatever the original sprite is.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't just post again... That way we don't need to go back and check your old posts each time... EDIT: Didn't know that was a double post, nvm.

Anyway, I took a shot (or two) at Kabuto and Kabutops. If they're okay'd, then I'll go ahead and make the back sprites.

29fbbs3.pngfd5b0x.png

23vyfzb.pngzl6v7b.png

Not sure which is better, though I think I prefer the black/white one.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kabuto's eyes. Try using a darker colour on their outline so they blend in? If that looks weird, then at least make them match that red.

I personally like the red one a bit more but either is good. How about others?

Okay, here we have Machop and Machamp. Anyone here having ideas for Machoke?

3yk4p98d.pngbwru6o2z.png

bufqjz2l.png722299qi.png

Machop looks pretty wicked, I'm not gonna lie. However, I'm a bit hesitant to go on dramatically changing the shape of something for what's officially just supposed to be some colouration differences. Now granted, we are taking some creative liberties here, but... I dunno, what do others think? Do you think it would be jarring for a shiny Pokemon to have its head like that even if it is for a shiny theme?

I like this Machamp colouration better so I have it quoted here. However, I think the shades could contrast just a bit more, (towards darker). Also, it's done pretty well on Machop but there are some places where its wounds could be blended in better using darker shades.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kabuto's eyes. Try using a darker colour on their outline so they blend in? If that looks weird, then at least make them match that red.

I personally like the red one a bit more but either is good. How about others?

I didn't really know what to do with the eyes. >.< Here are some other ones to take a look at.

243nvjb.png

I personally like this blue for the white/grey version.

23wjsc7.png

Another version, using the same shades of grey as on the legs. I thought this looked pretty good, too.

fpb7m8.png

I tried darkening the default colors here. I don't think it looks terrible, but... meh.

24wsg02.png

Here it is using the same shades of red, like you suggested.

2zg9d0h.png

And here it is with the grey colors from the grey/white version, but I don't think it turned out too well.

I'll try any other ideas you might have if none of these will work.

Machop looks pretty wicked, I'm not gonna lie. However, I'm a bit hesitant to go on dramatically changing the shape of something for what's officially just supposed to be some colouration differences. Now granted, we are taking some creative liberties here, but... I dunno, what do others think? Do you think it would be jarring for a shiny Pokemon to have its head like that even if it is for a shiny theme?

I like this Machamp colouration better so I have it quoted here. However, I think the shades could contrast just a bit more, (towards darker). Also, it's done pretty well on Machop but there are some places where its wounds could be blended in better using darker shades.

Are the mecha versions of Nidoking/Nidoqueen just supposed to be recolors too, then? Or are they different? I personally wouldn't mind using things like these as shinies, but I do love my blue Nidoking... Edited by Flux

Would you consider making a pool for it? I don't know, i like the design a lot... Although i'm sure some people are not going to accept this... So, pool or not? (It's only one pokemon for now, so i don't think it's really that bad...)

23wjsc7.png

Another version, using the same shades of grey as on the legs. I thought this looked pretty good, too.

If we keep the "black and white" Kabutops, i think this one's really good... Just my opinion though...

• Administrators

I agree, those eyes look good for the silver kabu line.

I think for the red variant, that penultimate version you posted will be the one to go with.

But the question is, Red or Silver in the first place?

Perhaps this and the other shiny question would each make good poll topics. Vinny, or someone else, might you fire those up in the Reborn City section please?

As for the mecha thing, The final Nido evolutions already have very segemented bodies, like metal parts stuck together. I think when recoloured to silver, it will suffice to sharpen some edges and corners and draw in a few nuts and bolts. There are other forms that I marked might make good mecha variants (open to interpretation) so the same goes for them. But to the point, I don't think that those will require too drastic of changes.

I agree, those eyes look good for the silver kabu line.

I think for the red variant, that penultimate version you posted will be the one to go with.

But the question is, Red or Silver in the first place?

Perhaps this and the other shiny question would each make good poll topics. Vinny, or someone else, might you fire those up in the Reborn City section please?

Done... Hopefully, it's not going to die without answers... If it does, oh well... you can create it, i guess...

I'd say colour some of the plates differently, just to add emphasis of the mecha bit?

Also I don't feel blue is the best colour for the electricity/energy/whatever flow...

EDIT:

I decided to make the Little Mac Hitmonchan, so here he is!

dBhmvKm.png0TGq8TO.png

But, because I think you guys need a bonus (and because I was bored), have the special Ghost version!

bKdm1jK.pngiMJq7Wz.png

(Disclaimer: Ghost Little Mac-chan will not appear in-game. Pokemon do not die. Ever.)

Edited by Jacze

I'd say colour some of the plates differently, just to add emphasis of the mecha bit?

Also I don't feel blue is the best colour for the electricity/energy/whatever flow...

Really? I honestly can't think of anything that would look better than blue to me... I was kind of going for that Tron look I guess. Looking back, it's not as bad as it seemed when I first finished it.

Also, I don't know if you actually intended it for in-game use or not, but I'm pretty sure Amethyst has said that auras can cause problems and not to use them. (Unfortunately... :( I actually prefer that version, so I hope it can work.)

They weren't really intended for game use beyond my own? Ghost Little Mac Hitmonchan is a very specific type.

And on the other thing, I was thinking something like this...:

IPrcoh2.png

...I guess I thought orange would work.

Edited by Jacze

• Administrators

t0hgs8.png

IPrcoh2.png

...I guess I thought orange would work.

I think the first one here is a bit closer to what we're going for.

But, let's set aside the tron stuff for now. As admittedly cool as that would be, I think it's going to be very difficult to do that well without overstepping what we can reasonably, and neatly, do in these sprites. I think there's merit to the idea about some of the segments being darker, too.

Working from Flux's sprite:

• Clean off the blue. It's a neat idea, but not what we need for now, sorry
  • Let's use a darker metal for the middle segment of its arms, the area above its shoulder/below its ear (but leave the spikes), and the segments above its knees.
  • Give it back the white of its eyes. In Jacze's sprite this is the yellow bit-- let's just have it be one of the light silver shades though
  • Having its mouth orange is a little weird; let's make that a dark colour. Perhaps keep the teeth visible like in Jacze's. The jaw-bolt looks great though.
  • Lighten the outline on top of the front ear and top-most spikes. Notice how in Jacze's, the outline shade is a bit lighter in these areas. Use a colour darker than the outline in Jacze's, and lighter than the outline in Flux's.
  • Apply that same outline colour to blend in the dark pixels at the tip of the tail as those black pixels are looking a bit isolated and jagged there.
  • There's like two stray black pixels on the far side of Nido's face that look like they don't belong.

EYYEcjY.png

This is a really strong start. I know you showed this to me before on the server, but now that I'm really taking the time to look at it, a couple details:

• Its skin looks a bit more yellow that it needs to. Maybe make it something in between Little Mac's skin colour, and Hitmonchan's default skin. If that looks too light, make his shoes black, and use the a slightly lighter shade of grey from the current shoes.
  • Little Mac's belt is white-- this is gonna take some redrawing since they just use the shade of outline for the black, I think.
  • The red part of the bottom is popping a little too much. I think it's the brightness, but it's hard to say with reds. Make that section a little less bright, and slightly less saturated.

Don't mistake my finickiness for a lack of appreciation, you guys are a huge help. Keep it up!