Godot's Weekly Super Smash Bros Analysis

Godot

Brawl had a mechanic like that for the Pokemon trainer. Hopefully they removed it in smash 4.

In brawl Squirtle would take extra damage from electric attacks. Ivysaur would take extra damage from fire. And Charzard would take extra damage from water.

They removed the mechanic in Project M.

I would only not mind it if they gave it a double standard. Ie electric attacks don't hurt Pikachu as much but ground attacks do.

Then again... If they added Isaac to the game that match up would be 10:0 Pikachu wouldn't even scratch Isaac.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its that time again! This week wasn't too eventful, but lets be real here, how could Sakurai follow up the Smash Direct without spoiling too much?

Monday 4/14

6p0xhw2.png

qLpikHy.png

Monday's Pic was pretty interesting, it gave us details on Greninja's Side Special. The move is called Stealth Sneak and can be charged by holding down the special button. This is kind of interesting and leaves me with a question or two. The question is mostly revolving what Greninja can do while charging his B. The way it is worded reminds me of Zero in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Zero had the ability to charge his buster shot and do other attacks and combinations. He would release the buster shot to extend his combos! My question is, can Greninja do the same? It would flesh out and make this character crazy interesting! I can already imagine the possibilities this would open!

Tuesday 4/15

ixi6hy9.png

Is this... a Final Destination variation of Gerudo Valley? And the battle theme is this?

BEST

STAGE

EVAR!!!

You can also see the fortress in the left mountains!

Let me elaborate more on the picture. Most stages will have a "Final Destination" Variation. Which is cool I guess, FD isn't my favorite stage, way too many exploits that can be done on this stage. Also I think Pit, Megaman, and Falco (if he returns) are hella powerful on this stage. I personally prefer Battlefield and Norfair. I also love the Boxing Ring, it looks great for Competitive play!

Sakurai also mentions how some FD stages will either be on top of something, or floating in mid-air. This stage appears to be on top of a Plateau. These minor stage elements actually can strongly influence high level competitive play. There are a ton of characters that can use the sides of the mountains to recover to the stage in some... weird gimmicky ways... I never bothered to learn any of these techniques... but whatever, I ain't destined for EVO or anything like that... Next picture!

Wednesday 3/16

AP2Y8KR.png

This picture is... odd...

It is a picture of Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer doing a flip animation. this shows us 2 things...

1. We see an Image of the background of the Wii Fit Gymnasium stage. We don't have too many details on what the background does or how it impacts the fight.

2. Zero Suit is actually performing her down B move. It now has a cool new added effect where it leaves an after image of her as she is flipping. We see another example of it here...

uQ4ZT8I.png

Its nothing Major, but a cool added effect to one of Zero Suits most useful and underrated moves!

Thursday 4/17

aELJEAv.png

A picture of Donkey Kong getting his power ups stolen by Kirby villain Tac. This is in the 3DS exclusive mode, Smash Run! This mode actually looks like a lot of fun for "I'm bored and have nothing better to do" or "waiting in line to get movie tickets" type of Game Mode. I like it, hope we don't see too many picture of it in our Weekly Screenshots... but we probably will...

Friday 4/18

Whx5fE6.png

This one is... kinda weird... Allow me to explain.

"The 3DS version of the game will roughly have the same Assist Trophies and Pokemon as the Wii U version. Just Roughly..."

Roughly? My only comment on this is that the 3DS is not as powerful as the Wii U and may not be able to run or even have certain assist trophies or pokemon the Wii U has... so this makes sense, good that he covered it... I guess... this statement is so vague...

Looking back at what you said earlier, I think you've kinda gone overboard with your judgement on Greninja's Substitute: the window seems to be equal to Lucario's Double Team to me, and you can't really judge it's effectiveness from countering a projectile anyway; we all know how countering projectiles usually ends.

Speaking of projectile issues, I think Greninja probably won't have a problem facing them thanks to Water Shurikens and Shadow Sneak; that shit be tight.

1. Lucario's counter was terrible, I face palmed everytime I used it. Even if it actually worked.

2. They are three archetypes to fighting game characters. The game tends to play like rock, paper, scissors.

Power characters are rock, speed is scissors, and range is paper.

Power beats speed, for the following reasons.

A. Power characters tend to have a lot of armor or oomph to them, so when a speed character hits them, they will barely even budge.

B. Speed characters often are lightweights with shit for HP. And if you get hit once, it's GG. I can speak from experience...

C. Power characters are slow and like it when people get close to them. And that is all speed characters will do... So they literally handing over their head on a silver platter...

Speed characters normally combat power characters with mix up and hit and run tactics. They can also use their weight to perform their best combos. However, it's risky as all holy hell...

Speed beats range for the following reasons...

A. Range often needs time to set up or prepare for their fights mid match, speed characters don't give them enough time to do that...

B. Speed can easily navigate through a ranged fighter's projectiles or walls. They do this by using their agility.

C. Ranged characters are shit at close range and are really slow, so infight-y speed characters are at a huge advantage here.

Range beats speed by predicting their movements. A lot of range characters often have some kind of move or throw that can launch a character full screen. This essentially gives range characters a fresh start for their bs gimmick shenanigans.

Range beats power for the following reasons.

A. Power characters tend to be big, slow, and clunky, making them easy targets for range characters to bully.

B. Power character's slow movements gives range character plenty of time to set up gimmicks to control the playing field and zone out their opposition.

C. Power characters are easy to run away from, and most range characters have a million and one ways to run or escape danger.

Power characters fight this by plowing through smaller projectiles or attacks to make their way through. Range characters tend to be either really tiny with shit HP, or really tall and thin so that they can be easy to beat up, combo, and kill. Power characters can sometimes takeout a range character with one or two hits.

You can sometime predict how a person will play by meeting them irl.

If the person is easy to talk to or really social, they will be very aggressive players.

If the person is shy and keeps to themselves, they will be super defensive and cautious.

People who play power tend to have these following traits.

Good traits:

The person is really mature or big brotherly.

The person is patient or calm natured.

The person is physically tough or likes to act or talk tough.

These people you tend to want to look up to.

The person knows how to "go easy" on you or play nice.

Don't like to brag, but tends to have friends who do it for them.

Bad traits:

The person is kind of slow and stupid.

The person seems to get angry for stupid little things.

Blames their losing for people being "cheap" "cheating" or "not playing fair"

People who play speed tend to do the following things.

Good traits:

The person is hella confident and proud in what they say or what they do.

The person tends to be very stylish and/or good looking, they have a cool shirt, a nice hat, or crazy looking hair.

The person tends to have tons of advice to cover your weaknesses, they notice every little detail.

These people are also good at reading body language.

They love to take risks.

Bad traits:

The person is super impatient and can't stand still.

The person is annoying as fuck and doesn't know how to shut the hell up.

The person is easy to read and predict.

Is often full of shit.

Blames losing on "lag" or the game mechanics, they also tend to be really sore losers.

Loves to brag.

Range players tend to do the following.

Good traits:

They tend to be creative, artsy, or intelligent. You wouldn't expect them to fall for your tricks.

They like to compliment people for what good they can do.

They also have all the advice in the world to give and for some reason know how every character works.

These people tend to take losing well.

Is really dedicated or devoted to what they do.

Bad traits:

These are the weird nerdy people that make some cool sexy nerds like me look bad.

They tend to have poor hygiene and are... Uncomfortable to be around with.

They talk to you like you're stupid or something.

They LOVE trolling.

Blames their losing on small stupid things like "frame data"

Spend WAY too much time on things that they shouldn't, long story short, they over think things.

I am not saying everyone who plays these archetypes are like this. I am saying that people who play these archetypes tend to have these traits, remember this isn't 100% accurate. If your opponent has one of these traits, it can give your strategies a string head start.

1. Lucario's counter was terrible, I face palmed everytime I used it. Even if it actually worked.

2. They are three archetypes to fighting game characters. The game tends to play like rock, paper, scissors.

Power characters are rock, speed is scissors, and range is paper.

Power beats speed, for the following reasons.

A. Power characters tend to have a lot of armor or oomph to them, so when a speed character hits them, they will barely even budge.

B. Speed characters often are lightweights with shit for HP. And if you get hit once, it's GG. I can speak from experience...

C. Power characters are slow and like it when people get close to them. And that is all speed characters will do... So they literally handing over their head on a silver platter...

Speed characters normally combat power characters with mix up and hit and run tactics. They can also use their weight to perform their best combos. However, it's risky as all holy hell...

Speed beats range for the following reasons...

A. Range often needs time to set up or prepare for their fights mid match, speed characters don't give them enough time to do that...

B. Speed can easily navigate through a ranged fighter's projectiles or walls. They do this by using their agility.

C. Ranged characters are shit at close range and are really slow, so infight-y speed characters are at a huge advantage here.

Range beats speed by predicting their movements. A lot of range characters often have some kind of move or throw that can launch a character full screen. This essentially gives range characters a fresh start for their bs gimmick shenanigans.

Range beats power for the following reasons.

A. Power characters tend to be big, slow, and clunky, making them easy targets for range characters to bully.

B. Power character's slow movements gives range character plenty of time to set up gimmicks to control the playing field and zone out their opposition.

C. Power characters are easy to run away from, and most range characters have a million and one ways to run or escape danger.

Power characters fight this by plowing through smaller projectiles or attacks to make their way through. Range characters tend to be either really tiny with shit HP, or really tall and thin so that they can be easy to beat up, combo, and kill. Power characters can sometimes takeout a range character with one or two hits.

Well, you have to consider that some powerful characters are fast, some fast characters are ranged, some ranged characters are powerful, etc.

I am well aware of that.

In a smash bros sense we have characters like Lucas, Olimar, and Pit.

Lucas is a powerhouse who fights with projectiles, I have seen Mael, who is one of the best Lucas players I know, struggle with people who are extreme speed based like Shiek, or extreme zoning based, like Samus (that is also why he kind of hates playing with me sometimes)

Olimar is similar in a way. A lot of power characters are grapplers, and Olimar is a Ranged character who fights primarily using grapples. Dem blue pikmin! Oli tends to struggle against other zoners who refuse to approach him, like Zelda.

Then you have pit, who is one of the speediest characters in the game... But also every GOOD pit player I encounter tries as hard as humanly possible to pick final destination. They then sit in the corner of the map and spam projectiles as much as angelicly possible. Pit is scared shitlessly of characters like Ike and Donkey Kong, who can not ohko him at ~30%

One last archtype I forgot to cover is the all rounded archtype, aka someone who has no strengths or weakness. Someone who doesn't suck at anything, but isn't neccisarily good at anything either.

You can tell who these people are by the fact that they are indecisive. They say things like;

I don't know

I don't care

I like everthing

To bring the topic back to smash, I wanna point out something I realized that I told Mael, about. Out of all of the newcomers, not a single one is power oriented. The current newcomers follow these categories...

Villiger: Ranged, Set-Up, Oddball, Trap, Keep-Away.

Megaman: Ranged, Zoner, Guy with Guns, Keep-Away.

Wii Fit Trainer: Speed, Rushdown, Oddball, High Risk/High Reward.

Rosalina: Ranged, Gimmick, Zoner, Puppet.

Lil' Mac: Speed, Rushdown, Combo, High Risk/High Reward.

Greninja: Speed, Hit and Run, Mix Up, Teleporter, the "Ninja".

Characters whom I think have a good chance would fall under the following archetypes.

Palutena: Range, zoner.

Chrom: all rounded, combo, guy with sword.

Shulk: power, guy with sword, "charge" character.

Isaac: Ranged, zoner, guy with sword.

PAC-man: all rounded, oddball

Mii: all rounded, "jack of all trades", odd ball

Dillon: Power, tank, charge character.

K. Rool: power, heavy weight, grappler, oddball.

Takamaru: speed, guy with sword.

Rhythm heaven Chorus men: zoner, combo, gimmick, oddball

Rhythm heaven samurai: speed, combo, gimmick

Rhythm heaven wrestler: power, grappler, gimmick, oddball

Oh ya, did I mention the rumor floating around about there being a potential rhythm heaven character? The rumor strongly hints at the chorus men, but I personally think that the samurai and wrestler would be the best fits. I personally would like to see the wrestler for the following reasons.

1. He would be a power character, we need more big power oriented characters.

2. He has personality, and I can see sakurai coming up with something creative for him, he would be like a mix between DK, wii fit, and captain falcon.

3. Luchadors amuse me, the chorus men would be cool, but they are really random, the samurai also has no personality besides the fact that he goes HA YA! which is link's job

• 2 weeks later...

SO.

FUCKING.

PISSED!

I haven't updated the thread in a while because nothing of particular interest has popped up... I guess I will cover the most interesting pictures of this week....

Monday 4/28

JoACDBH.png

Midna makes her appearance as an Assist Trophy. This is probably the only news this week that isn't actually "New." Midna made her appearance in The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. She essentially replaced Navi. One serious difference between she and Navi was...

SHE

WAS

NOT

ANNOYING

And what did Ninty do with the next installment of the game? Replace her with some one WORSE THAN NAVI....

God I hate Fi...

Tuesday 4/29

goq7u71.png

This picture legitimately interested me since I was curious whether or not Tether Grabs, were going to be cut or not. I noticed that Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, and Shiek all had their Tether moves removed. Being that Shiek is probably my best character, you could imagine that I used Tether Grabs a lot.

What Is a tether grab? Its using a special or grab move to latch on to a ledge to get back to it in a strategic manner. Here Sakurai talks about them and says how whoever grabs the ledge first keeps it. It looks like Link got to it before Samus did.

Wednesday 4/30

u5rR00V.png

Its the Tanooki leaf from Super Mario Bros. 3!

This Item is new, but not the first time we see of it. It was featured in the nintendo press kit that launched after the direct. We only saw Luigi using it, but now we see some not Mario Bro sport it. (Marth seems to be enjoying himself.)

The item allows you to float in mid air while you attack, which sounds kinda fun to use.

Thursday 5/1

PEAoRKj.png

The Orne from Kid Icarus Uprising makes an appearance in the game. If I were to guess where this screenshot was taken, I would guess the Reset Bomb Forest in the 3DS version of the game.

I never played KI:U, but from what I read, this thing has the power to OHKO anyone. Sakurai also states that it is more powerful than the bathroom dwelling Chimera found in Brawl's New Pork City. That seems a bit unnecessary imo....

Ok... are you all...

ready...

so see why I am so god damn pissed off?

I hate everything...

Friday 5/2

y4sj3Xq.png

Dillon's trophy from Lone Rolling Western...

Another one of my most requested characters...

is confirmed...

lVkhWYV.png

As an Assist Trophy...

I AM SO PISSED! THIS CHARACTER HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!!

Think Rammus from League of Legends in Cowboy attire...

Ya Sonic, I am shocked too... Fuck you Sakurai, all you have to do next is deconfirm Isaac or Matthew and I will fly over to Kyoto and punch you in the damn face...

I honestly don't think that was worth getting so pissed over; he was nowhere near popular enough to hope taking up one of the diminishing slots. Be thankful that he at least got an assist trophy and not just a trophy; guy ain't playin' no games here.

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't seen anything too interesting recent... I doubt we will see anything today...

**checks today's pic**

... A NEW CHALLENGER APPROUCHES!!!

Ike

4jqfIwW.png

Holy shit... I legit didn't expect him to come back... (deep down I kinda hoped he would... but... wow...)

Ike is bad ass... and I am somewhat happy about this... but wow He looks bad ass this time around. If I were to take a guess, I would say he is based off of his appearance from the Wii title

GmUzZrd.png

Oh look, Mael vs. Godot

vNb5pJm.jpg

Godot vs. Mael round 2!

QYFGyVl.png

Hot Damn he looks manly this time round!

rpuHPbv.png

#Selfie

dcFci4M.png

I fight for my Friends!

kSgXKjt.png

I guess I should Cover some pics of the week now...

UhfyVRH.jpg

Charzard's Side B the Rock Smash is now mapped to Down B. His Side Special is now Flare Blitz! Much like the game, it is a high damage attack with recoil on hit.

qs4HsoO.png

Charzard's Final Smash is Mega Charzard X!

G0rmh72.jpg

Villager's Alternate Color Palettes change his look entirely! He can even switch Genders! I personally like #6 :o

gyTNiup.jpg

Mario and Greninja's 2nd Color, Fire Mario and Redinja! Sakurai also points out how he and his team tried really hard to "flip" the character models when they turn around. That way they look the same looking left or right.

BxuCS9G.jpg

Blue Kirby and Dark Bowser, God Damn Bowser looks awesome!

XxDykPE.png

When playing on the 3DS, you don't hafta wear the same color if you are playing 2v2. Instead you will have a Thick colored outline surrounding your character and your ally. I am not too much of a fan of this...

gq8N3z5.jpg

Though I kinda deep down expected Ike to return, I didn't fully 100% actually think I would see him... well... A certain friend of mine will be stoked to see this...

IKE! Hell yes! I main Ike on brawl (not very seriously though) so this is music to my ears. I'd been dreading his cut in favor of Chrom, perhaps now we'll get both. To make things even better he's got his Radiant Dawn look. Sweet!

To Ike 30% is kill percent!

Which says something... No one died in brawl... like ever... Ike was an monster rocking the top of the Upper Mid Tier!

This is me praying that they don't cut a Awakening character for Ike :unsure:

Can't cut out what was never there in the first place. But yeah, I hope the decision to bring him back doesn't close the door on bringing in another FE character into the fray.

I feel bad for being nitpicky right now though.