Rejuv V13.5 Mono Dark run

Magus543

Welp I'm not an expert on Mono types on Rejuv, especially with some types like Dark Types, but... I'll try to suggest something.

Mightyena could work with early game, especially between Snarl, Moxie and Intimidate.

Houndoom other great choice, I don't think there is yet its mega, still it can be useful with Snarl and basically bullies Crescent's Gothitelle's first battle.

Zoroark is avaible pretty early and probably before you face Narcissa. And it has Knock Off immediatly. And it's Zoroark. And its crest.

Obstagoon evolves around Narcissa, with Guts, Obstract and Stab Facade...

Shiftry I'm not sure, never used and never cared about its existance.

Hydreigon, Krookodile I think are some musts.

The Mystery Egg could give Absol, Sneasel or Pawniard...good luck. Even if you get Sneasel (normally avaible after Adam), its evolution is blocked until Kristilline Town.

Some other changed location are Umbreon, who is obtainable before Blacksteeple and Aevian Musharna is after Valarie.

What about Prankster Grimmsnarl?

Aevian Golisopod is Dark? Don't remember.

And there is Overqwil and Greninja (despite you require to catch many Water Types). If you want, Gothitelle is an option, since the Crest make her swap Dark type with her own Psychic when it will use a Dark move.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, I only tried to put some names.

Umbreon is bulky and can Toxic stall (eevee obtainable during the lost souls quest)

Honchkrow with Moxie and Tailwind (murkrow found in Darchlight woods at night)

Malamar with Contrary and Superpower (Inkay obtainable during Bo's quest in Yui's Ranch)

Spiritomb damage becomes somewhat significant after you get it's crest and is a good staller as well (Goldenwood cave? and the crest is in Castle Zygara)

Incineroar with Intimidate is bulky and deals a good amout of damage (East Gearen post strenght)

I'd say this are somewhat viable choices (some better than others). Some Pokemons are only obtainable quite late in the game but you can always swap Pokemons of your team for new, better, options.

speaking as someone who just got to chapter 15 of a mono-dark run, I feel compelled to give some advice

1: Many early game boss battles can be easilly cheesed with Toxic Stunky + the Shadow Cacnea. Fake out + Obstruct into sacrificing another pokemon racks up toxic damage quickly, and let me beat the Rift Gyarados on my first try. Later on, Overqwill can be used over Skuntank to outspeed pokemon that can 1 shot Skuntank.

2: Unlike what some people say, Spiritomb can easily help before getting its crest. I personally used it as a mainstay member, just because fighting type coverage is so common. The fact it was moved earlier also helps a ton (Post Surf instead of Post Terajuma)

3: GDC has a ton of Fighting and Fairy type trainers. Go back and heal after every fight.

4: You don't need a Pokemon from the mystery egg to beat the game. 

5:  Go to Rivers End ASAP. The Aevian Musharna you get from answering Eizens questions correctly has saved me so many times. Fairy/Dark is a fantastic type, and the moveset is really simple and easy to acquire. Lovely kiss, Play rough, Throat Chop and then 1 situational move is what I ran and I haven't had to change it up yet.

6: the first 3 gyms are gonna be absolute hell. Venam has a really strong team compared to yours at that point in the game, Keta fights doubles and absolutely dominated me most attempts, and Marianette hits dark types super effectively, and no dark type gets access to a move that can change the field at that point in the game.

7: Type diversity. Already not great to start with, for quite a large chunk of the game you're going to be stuck with pure dark, dark/water and dark/poison types. 

8: unless you get pawniard from the egg, you dont have a flying resist before fighting Souta, bar Morpeko. or anything with stab supereffective moves, again barring Morpeko. have fun with that.

9: Strong early game Pokemon include Pangoro, Houndoom (Incinerate in goldenwood, dont miss it), Skuntank, Alolan Raticate and Shiftry. Midgame, I found Crawdaunt, Alolan Muk, Overqwill, Drapion, Aevian Musharna and Spiritomb to be quite strong. Late game Krookodile, Grimmsnarl, Weavile and especially Mandibuzz have all been quite useful. Mega Sharpedo and Moxie Honchkrow can sweep whole teams, and I expect Zoroark, Bisharp, Hydreigon and Greninja to be very good going forward into endgame.

10: Specific pokemon are really good against certain gym fights. Notable ones for me at least include Pancham against Keta, Honchkrow against Souta, Sharpedo against Amber, Musharna against Crawli and Puppetmaster, Crested Skuntank against Ryland, and Raticate against Adam (Although im fairly certain Guts Facade Obstagoon would be better)

11: Greninja is probably the best starter. Protean is super good, and having something that fast that can drop speed with Rock Tomb was absolutely crucial against a few bosses.

overall you're gonna have the most problems in the super early game, then it mellows out until Crawli, then its mostly smooth sailing from there. hope these insights help!

oh, and you can do every fight itemless.

16 hours ago, Magus543 said:

So anyone have suggestions for a fun mono dark team to run the game with?

Def using Hisu Samurott. 

While I can't speak for 13.5 (seeing as I barely used dark types), both Honchkrow and Weavile in V13 Intense were insanely good, despite their numerous drawbacks. Obstagoon is an amazing guts user, and obstruct allows you to cheese a lot of the boss battles, but I'd argue that the Shadow Cacnea is much better at this due to getting fake out and sucker punch to really take advantage of the defense drops

9 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Isn't Protean Greninja kinda cheating considering it fully changes type during battles? I wouldn't include it in mono dark run myself. 

Under my self imposed rules, any mon that starts the battle as a dark type is fine, but stuff that is only dark type under specific conditions (Example: Stunfisk with Mimicry or Crested Gothitelle) are banned. Still see where your coming from though. Besides, you can always just go with Torrent instead. Or Battle Bond if you have that mod that's floating around.