The Case of Deathwing Sonia

Spider Flower

In chapter 5, when the protagonist first reaches Akuwa town with Aelita they have to fight a deathwing named Sonia in a seemingly unwinnable battle. Deathwing Sonia appears later in the story again during the Tecanlite Factory sidequest with Aya in West Gearen.

I was curious if Sonia gets replaced with a different deathwing member with a different team during the factory sidequest if you managed to beat her back in Akuwa town. If you do the Pokeball Factory sidequest you learn that Deathwings only have two options in their missions, success or death. So, by that logic, Sonia should not be at the factory if she is beaten in Akuwa town. 

We know that the Sonia in Akuwa town and the Sonia in the factory are the same because they both have the same Pokémon, a Scizor, Clawitzer, and most notably a mega Steelix. So, does anyone know if a different deathwing, with different Pokémon, replaces her in the factory sidequest if Sonia was beaten earlier? I thought it would be an interesting small detail to see if there was any difference and the Wiki does not seem to point to any differences at the moment.

I always thought the Sonia in the Pokeball Factory was the same as the Sonia we fought in Akuwa Town. Perhaps she didn't have all her Pokemon during the first encounter and so that did not count as a loss, to an extent? Either way, the Deathwings do eventually bring the player and Aelita to Blacksteeple regardless of defeating Sonia in battle, so they didn't technically fail in chapter five.

• Like 1

Long ago, I tested the possible win and it seems like beating Sonia does not change anything, the story continues as if you lose to her, even if you win. No Karma Points or new dialogues (at least I think, since I don't remember if I tested in V12 or V13). These battles are made to let you loose 90% of the times or higher. However, some of these battles are fairly winnable and give Karma Points, Relationship points and different dialogues, like:

Togepi vs Houndoom (in V12, Togepi with AP boost could survive at least one attack or forcing another Nasty Plot if I remember correctly, but it still requires luck)

Vs Shadow Mewtwo (Actually, REALLY easy due to being a 2 vs 1 and Mewtwo hurts itself since first turn)

Vs Madame X's Yveltal: in V13, it has only Decimation, which has + priority but no longer OHKO. What this mean? Destruction vs a bird who can block priority moves. Or Cursed Body ( laughing in Banette and Froslass ) + a tank like Bronzong. Or even Pangoro, but I never tested it. Just let it struggles against weaker Pokèmon. How funny.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SilverAngelus said:

I always thought the Sonia in the Pokeball Factory was the same as the Sonia we fought in Akuwa Town. Perhaps she didn't have all her Pokemon during the first encounter and so that did not count as a loss, to an extent? Either way, the Deathwings do eventually bring the player and Aelita to Blacksteeple regardless of defeating Sonia in battle, so they didn't technically fail in chapter five.

Yeah, that makes sense they technically do succeed in their goal of abducting the player and Aelita so it makes sense Sonia is still around later. I guess it leads to an unanswerable question of what would have been defined as failure for a deathwing member for that specific mission. 

10 hours ago, NerfCaulifla said:

Long ago, I tested the possible win and it seems like beating Sonia does not change anything, the story continues as if you lose to her, even if you win. No Karma Points or new dialogues (at least I think, since I don't remember if I tested in V12 or V13). These battles are made to let you loose 90% of the times or higher. However, some of these battles are fairly winnable and give Karma Points, Relationship points and different dialogues, like:

Togepi vs Houndoom (in V12, Togepi with AP boost could survive at least one attack or forcing another Nasty Plot if I remember correctly, but it still requires luck)

Vs Shadow Mewtwo (Actually, REALLY easy due to being a 2 vs 1 and Mewtwo hurts itself since first turn)

Vs Madame X's Yveltal: in V13, it has only Decimation, which has + priority but no longer OHKO. What this mean? Destruction vs a bird who can block priority moves. Or Cursed Body ( laughing in Banette and Froslass ) + a tank like Bronzong. Or even Pangoro, but I never tested it. Just let it struggles against weaker Pokèmon. How funny.

Thank you for the information on this and on ways to beat the other "impossible" fights in the game. I know I was struggling bad trying to get a good roll on Togepi vs Houndoom fight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spider Flower said:

Yeah, that makes sense they technically do succeed in their goal of abducting the player and Aelita so it makes sense Sonia is still around later. I guess it leads to an unanswerable question of what would have been defined as failure for a deathwing member for that specific mission. 

It seems like the punishment for great failure is the erase, like happened to the other Deathwing or to Tommen, who was protected by some "Garufan spell" in the Garufan place in Carotos. (Kinda ironic if it's true that he got cancelled by a Garufan spell after not being protected anymore by "another Garufan spell"). We can do the same if Sharon's speechs about the "Mark of Death" in every Xen member have some deep truth.

2 hours ago, Spider Flower said:

Thank you for the information on this and on ways to beat the other "impossible" fights in the game. I know I was struggling bad trying to get a good roll on Togepi vs Houndoom fight.

No problems, the only thing is getting an EXTREMELY good RNG with Metronome (Hypnosis? Stun Spore + RNG in paralysis?)  and Houndoom's AI reaction, since some moves can force Clear Smog or Nasty Plot, basically moves which can't OHKO Togepi. I missed V12 with Togepi being more bulky for this fight.

Meanwhile, I have a theory that Yveltal with only Decimation not OHKO is made for lore purposes. After all, Yveltal's cocoon can be found in the basement of the Xen base ins Sheridian Wetlands with Dive...plus its appearence by Melanie...and the same mon...holds a Soul Stone. I have to control it myself, just to be sure at 100%.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:00 AM, NerfCaulifla said:

Huh didn't know it ws even possible to win against the Houndoom (at least in V12. V13 might be either more luck based or just plain unwinnable).

Shadow Mewtwo in V13 has been changed a bit, now being a double battle with Keta as a partner. So might be easier, might not be, on casual it's possible since Mewtwo is only level 22, while on normal it's 27 (and remember, you still haven't gotten the badge to raise level cap yet, so you will be battling with level 20 pokemon against something nearly 10 levels higher). It really depends on how useful the AI wants to be in the moment. Plus I think Mewtwo had the shield mechanic making it a tougher fight? Can't 100% remember.

I think priority moves would still work on Pangoro because Yveltal doesn't have prankster, which doesn't work against dark types. So Decimation would still work on it.

19 minutes ago, VMeemes said:

Huh didn't know it ws even possible to win against the Houndoom (at least in V12. V13 might be either more luck based or just plain unwinnable).

Shadow Mewtwo in V13 has been changed a bit, now being a double battle with Keta as a partner. So might be easier, might not be, on casual it's possible since Mewtwo is only level 22, while on normal it's 27 (and remember, you still haven't gotten the badge to raise level cap yet, so you will be battling with level 20 pokemon against something nearly 10 levels higher). It really depends on how useful the AI wants to be in the moment. Plus I think Mewtwo had the shield mechanic making it a tougher fight? Can't 100% remember.

I think priority moves would still work on Pangoro because Yveltal doesn't have prankster, which doesn't work against dark types. So Decimation would still work on it.

I will test soon if it is possible, but I highly doubt it will be easy.

Shadow Mewtwo is completely possible even in Normal, my Hariyama was its demise. Plus, the level cap is 25, not 20. 18/20 is before Venam, 25 is before Keta.

Pangoro because it tanks Decimation, due to having 4x resistance and Decimation does not OHKO, for this I mentioned it because I saw people talking about it.

Fair enough. Been awhile since I played that part of the game, so I played the patch where Venam was level 15 and not 18. So with Keta being the second gym leader, level 20 was my cap. You can correct me if I'm wrong though, it has been awhile since that part of the game.

Okay, I tested Togepi vs Houndoom...and...it's possible to win the fight even in V13. Without Metronome. With only ONE Omni-boost. Let me explain.

Stats.PNG.227ba465941bf13aaadaec7245bc2612.PNG

Stats2.PNG.0ddb1692460e14ce6f743e2cf090b0a8.PNG

Victory.PNG.e3676e6ee506b0955f283355702f8306.PNG

The fight still requires much luck, but not on Houndoom's damage...but on sleep's RNG.

First Turn:

Houndoom is forced to Nasty Plot, because its offensive moves cannot OHKO Hapi without crits or boost in stats. Meaning, if it wasn't forced, Hapi could use Yawn and next turn heal.

Don't rely on Metronome, because you have greater chance to get omni-boost instead of getting moves, since 99% of the entire Pokèmon movepool is useless there. Use Ancient Power and hope to get the boost. If not, reset. I suggest to use quick-save before Melia brings out Hapi.

Second turn:

Actually, Houndoom cannot OHKO now, since Incinerate will leave Hapi with 5 or 9 HP. Without boost, it's a loose battle. Considering surviving, Yawn is necessary now.

Houndoom will sleep. I think it hasn't Early Bird, which helps Houndoom getting waking up early.

Third turn:

100% of my attempts, Houndoom sleeps. I highly recomend to healing by using the Max Potion in Melia's bag. These poor amount of heals will be your saviors, since they cannot let you stall and doing things like "getting to 0 PP Incinerate".

Fourth turn:

If you are lucky, there are good chances that Houndoom will be asleep still. But...here...you have to risk: now, don't rely anymore on possible AP's second boost, just the move itself. Or Yawn, meaning that you can repeat the heal and getting lucky on not getting crits. If you want to risk, use Ancient Power.

Fifth turn:

Assuming Houndoom will be asleep in the previous turn, now it's better to use Yawn at 100%. You can risk MUCH with Ancient Power, since there are some chances that Houndoom will be asleep for another turn. But I highly recommend you to not do that and just use Yawn, since it has perfect PP for this fight.

Sixth turn and more:

Repeat heals if you manage to use Yawn and survive Incinerate. From now on, you rely on sleep's RNG to understand when you can attack, use Yawn and heals. Like you see, I got at the last turn Houndoom still asleep and Hapi with only one Omni-boost. And I got the 100% fair win. This little girl is a god, just let her grow a bit. The only things which will let you loose are crits and not guessing Houndoom's waking. Sorry for the long comment.

• Like 1