Ep 19 Quality Of Life notes

laggless01

Although there are guidelines regarding bugs, I didn't see any posts related to things that aren't errors, just a bit rough around the edges and thus might affect the experience negatively. Like how Gen 4 DP were functioning but also were agonizingly slow, just not nearly as extreme as that. I didn't find anyone talking about it here, so hence the topic. If it's helpful to the devs and I was not blind or dumb missing past posts, perhaps this could be used as a thread to bundle all such matters?

Anyway, to the subject. Something I did notice is that, when text is set to 'fast', there's a bit of noticable delay when 1. sending out a pokemon and 2. when declaring an attack. It does seem to flow better on 'normal' text speed, so I think it is related on when and how the animation is started in relation to when the text is prompted.
In a similar vein, on the faster text speed, it takes noticable time to continue text when you catch a pokemon, reducing the time it forces you to linger on that text speed might make it feel like it's flowing more smoothly.

On a positive note, thank you for the Pickup rework, not having to check the mons every time is a godsend.

• Like 1

I hope this is the right place for my "problem"* - it's absolutely wonderful that Reborn now has native controller input (I used to use a keymapper), but I can't map a controller button to "soft reset" since it doesn't show up in the controls window. Is there something I'm missing or is this something that hasn't been implemented (yet)?

(The speed up game button - "Alt" - is also missing in the controlls window so the mapping of this can't be changed either.)

*It's not actually problematic, it's just a QOL thing. Even if this never changes, I'll still like the new reborn better(new content aside), you've improved so many QOL things🥳

ETA: Just learned on the discord that due to technical limitations, those can't be remapped right now, might change in the future, but might also just not be possible.

• Like 1

This is also one of my technical QoL wishes I was thinking about making a separate thread about once the release dust has settled and more urgent bugs have been fixed. I also play with controller (Windows) and would like the Alt, Ctrl and F12 keys to be mappable to the controller. Otherwise I'd have to map my controller to keyboard keys. In E18 it was possible to reconfigure the fast-forward key, from an in-game menu even, without needing your computer mouse. Having it fixed to the Alt key is annoying for me as it interferes with other keyboard shortcuts.

Also, I'd like to run multiple games on the same machine, as is possible with emulators, for doing speedrun races on the couch with friends. For that I'd need fully customizable controls per game. Plus a customizable save game location and the game accepting inputs while the window is not in focus.

I don't know how hard that is to implement for a game like Reborn, but that would provide even more ways to enjoy this amazing game. I noticed the configurable keys being listed at the end of the mkxp.json. Is it possible to make the Alt, Ctrl and F12 keys configurable by adding them there or are they somehow technically excluded?

• Administrators

Yeah so like Avallyn said, we can't add the keys super easily like they were in E18 since we switched from the keys being handled in [the code of the game] to the keys and rebinding beind handled in the [the code of the engine], and it's a lot more difficult to work with the engine than the game itself. Notably we would need to be editing the F1 UI to add more options there which has mainly been handled by the MKXP devs externally since I don't think anyone on our team is immediately familiar with the code they use.

(And also even once implemented, rebuilding and testing the new [engine] is its own ordeal since it tends to change how the game's code behaves)

So, I am very aware of the limitations here kind of sucking and I'm sorry to those on controllers-- it just wasn't practical to do for now. Maybe we can get some help with it in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1