Debug Mode Adding Items Question

ty_taurus

So a while back I thought up working on some additional crests to mod into the game, and after a long break, I finished up a handful that I'd love to share with everyone here for those that are interested, but I have run into one main issue which is that, while the crests work, they don't seem to show up in the debug menu when trying to add items to my bag, and I have no idea why this is the case. I can add them as hidden items in the world, but I feel like it'd be easier for sharing purposes if they could just get added via debug.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot that?

I have the files adjusted for the additional crests in the zip that I attached for reference.

Additional Crest Mod.zip

13 hours ago, ty_taurus said:

So a while back I thought up working on some additional crests to mod into the game, and after a long break, I finished up a handful that I'd love to share with everyone here for those that are interested, but I have run into one main issue which is that, while the crests work, they don't seem to show up in the debug menu when trying to add items to my bag, and I have no idea why this is the case. I can add them as hidden items in the world, but I feel like it'd be easier for sharing purposes if they could just get added via debug.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot that?

I have the files adjusted for the additional crests in the zip that I attached for reference.

Additional Crest Mod.zip 475.34 kB · 1 download

It seems Rejuvention has a weird quirk where it does not recognise new items through debug, but I think if you can edit your save file and replace an item in your bag with a crest of your choosing.

and for the love of (the higher being of your choosing), please do not give Serperior a crest. You could have given one to any struggling grass 'mon (like Cacturne or Chestnaut) so they could be better lategame Pokemon.

Instead, you give Serperior neutrality to almost half It's weaknesses. like it wasn't a dominant force before.

No offense intended, just some critisism. All the other Pokemon actually needed the buffs, so great job on those.

I think I added that upon someone's request actually here on the forums. Also there are no NPCs that use those, so if there's a crest you don't like the idea of, you can also just ignore it. I'd like to make it an official download for people, but I'm not really sure what the easiest route to accomplish this is.

But yeah, it's odd that it doesn't appear in debug. There has to be somewhere that controls how that item list is populated.

It seems that PBItems.maxValue returns 1044 (the last unmodded item), which is strange because PBItems.rb is correctly set.

I have little knowledge on how MKXP works, regarding .rxdata files, so I'm only speculating this; it may be that that module is getting overwritten with the "compiled" rxdata scripts.

I was able to get it working by running "pbCompileItems" on the console before opening the debug menu (one can check also by running "print(PBItetms.maxValue)")

However I ran into the issue that after a reboot, the game forgets (still works battle-wise), thus I can't see the item's name, or description (Might even crash in some situations).

You know, oddly, there are empty item spaces. For example, Ultra Potion is item 680, but then the next line is item 690, Adrenaline Orb. So maybe moving those items down to fill those empty spaces will make them show up in debug? I will have to check it out when I'm off work later.

Ok, narrowed it down; something happens in PokemonSystem.rb that overwrites PBItems and possibly other stuff (I also had this problem when making a custom  move)

# Load constants
  begin
    consts=pbSafeLoad("Data/Constants.rxdata")
    consts=[] if !consts
  rescue
    consts=[]
  end
  for script in consts
    next if !script
    eval(Zlib::Inflate.inflate(script[2]),nil,script[1])
  end

So constants.rxdata has some compressed scripts? How does one update that?

(Note that removing it might not be a good idea [the item's name and desc was still missing, even though it did show its name in the debug menu])

I guess one needs to ask a dev what is the process of adding an item.