Special playthrough challenges (Nuzlocks, Mono-Runs) ranking request

Conkeldurp

Heyho,

I have the following request (which is mostly catered towards the experienced "challenge" runners of reborn)

For someone that never tapped outside of the regular style of "everything goes" in reborn playthroughs I wondered, which style of "special" playthrough is, in your regard, most friendly and which is worst for a first-time experience.

If you have some experience to share in regards to monotype beginner friendliness or nuzlockes and similar challenges, I'd love some type of theoretical ranking.

Thanks and have a nice weekend all.

So before I will answer this in my way, I'd like to know, how your play style is. So for example:

Do you want to stall an oponent, and take him down with something like toxic or do you want to use the move stafette to power up one pokemon. Do you have some preferences like weather based moves and so on ^^ This will help me to evaluate your approach to this type of gameplay.

And would you use the mod pack for nuzlocke and mono runs? Or just the standard game?

1 hour ago, Jace3 said:

So before I will answer this in my way, I'd like to know, how your play style is. So for example:

Do you want to stall an oponent, and take him down with something like toxic or do you want to use the move stafette to power up one pokemon. Do you have some preferences like weather based moves and so on ^^ This will help me to evaluate your approach to this type of gameplay.

And would you use the mod pack for nuzlocke and mono runs? Or just the standard game?

Hey Jace3,

so up until now, I used mostly pure offense on the playthroughs ( like P-Z or sheer force Darmanitan), there was little strategical thinking behind it.

I never went with weather teams or stall teams, though that could be a challenge aswell, couldnt it :).

Hope that helps a little and thanks for your endeavor.

Edit: ..oh and i never considered a modpack before, is there a mod that controls the "challenge rules" of a monorun/ nutlocke run and prevents you from quote on quote cheating?

I'm on my 3rd mono-run right now and I'd say they're not that hard to get into (depending on the type you choose I guess though) and they are a fun way to use Pokemon you don't usually use without as much of the high risk. Alternatively if you want to do a Nuzlocke instead you can change some of the rules if you'd prefer something less challenging, but I've personally always felt that battles in Reborn are hard enough already without all the Nuzlocke restrictions, so I'm not sure I'd recommend one of those for someone without much challenge experience.

I'm currently doing a run where I can only use the type of pokemon that the next gym leader uses. Its been pretty fun and lets you use a variety of pokemon that I would have never used (looking at you galvantula). I'm using the no TMx mod and additional options just to boost the exp I get from battles so I dont have to take an hour training a new team after each gym.

I've also tried a nuzlocke before but only made it to shade before whiting out (I allowed myself to use any pokemon that wasn't my OT).

On 11/5/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mindlessant said:

I'm currently doing a run where I can only use the type of pokemon that the next gym leader uses. Its been pretty fun and lets you use a variety of pokemon that I would have never used (looking at you galvantula). I'm using the no TMx mod and additional options just to boost the exp I get from battles so I dont have to take an hour training a new team after each gym.

I've also tried a nuzlocke before but only made it to shade before whiting out (I allowed myself to use any pokemon that wasn't my OT).

thats interesting, what did you pick for a starter? Or modded electric type starter?

57 minutes ago, Egzample said:

thats interesting, what did you pick for a starter? Or modded electric type starter?

I picked Cyndaquil just cuz he is my favorite starter and used him to get blitzle as soon as I could. I was considering spawning in something for an electric starter only if I had problems with Julia but I pretty much swept the gym with Pachirisu and blitzle.

• Thanks 1

I've been doing a run in which any pokemon whose final evolution has more than 60 base speed is banned.  It's a noticeable difficulty increase relative to a normal run, but there's a much larger pool of legal pokemon than most monotype runs have (especially early game), so you've generally got plenty of options for any given fight.  Really changes how a lot of fights play out, too - a lot of mons get way more threatening when you can't just outspeed them, as do set-up moves (Bennet's mono-quiver dance team in particular went from so trivial I missed the theme on first playthrough to something that took at me least 6 tries to get past).

It does end up forcing a pretty defensive playstyle, which may not be to your taste, but if that's not an issue for you it's otherwise quite enjoyable, and I think works well as an entry-level challenge run.

So a challenge run ranking could look like that:

"easy": Differemt tactic teams (stall, weather/field altering)

"intermediate": monorun (e.g. type of the next gym leader), speed-stat-restriktion run.

"advanced": classic Nuzlocke challenge.

Monotype from my experience starts difficult if you haven't played the game too many times. But after a few playthroughs becomes much more manageable as you remember upcoming major battles and prepare items and movesets accordingly. For example from my personal experience. Storm Drain Cradily for Amaria in Rock Mono