Shiv Battle - Why So Difficult?

Valyrian_Reforged

I am seriously contemplating a whole new save file so that I can a) not shiny hunt so much and therefore catch 'mons that are better suited to destroy that foul Aipom than my current save file and team, b) not stress so much about this and c) not drive myself batty via grind overlevel, which would only risk Pokemon disobedience. A Level 17 level cap is not appreciated - in my opinion, it should have been set to Level 20. The upcoming Kuiki battle immediately after that nightmare fuel Shiv battle is not at all appreciated, as well. Can anyone please advise as to which Pokemon and Types would be great to utterly annhilate both Shiv's team and Kuiki's team? Thanks in advance. This is such a demotivator to me and I'm trying to not let it put me off my continuance of this game. Any additional tips, advice and tips would go a long way to set my churning mind at ease.

grind overlevel, which would only risk Pokemon disobedience.

A Level 17 level cap is not appreciated - in my opinion, it should have been set to Level 20.

I'm unsure what you're thinking of, but there is no actual way to overgrind in Deso - It uses a hard level cap system, so unless you actually use rare candies or the daycare, you can't run into truancy problems. And for that matter, the cap before getting the first badge IS level 20. I'm kinda curious why you thought it was 17.

I actually do agree that the Shiv Aipom could use a nerf, if nothing else because tail slap this early in the game isn't very conductive of any playstyle besides grinding until it stops being a problem, though.

20 minutes ago, Yumil said:

I'm unsure what you're thinking of, but there is no actual way to overgrind in Deso - It uses a hard level cap system, so unless you actually use rare candies or the daycare, you can't run into truancy problems. And for that matter, the cap before getting the first badge IS level 20. I'm kinda curious why you thought it was 17.

I actually do agree that the Shiv Aipom could use a nerf, if nothing else because tail slap this early in the game isn't very conductive of any playstyle besides grinding until it stops being a problem, though.

OK, noted and thank you. Is there any Type or Pokemon advice at this stage of the game that you could recommend or advise to me? I agree. I must have seen a level 17 level cap within one of the other Pokemon fangames that I'm playing in alternation with this one and confused it with that fangame. That would explain my level cap misconception.

You might have mixed it up with rejuvenation, I think it's current level cap at 0 badge is 17.

I don't think I have much advice to offer for that guy. I see you've already picked rockruff and rockruff should naturally resist tail slap so that's already a better boon than me trying to win this with venipede.But really, there's not many ways around this - train a couple mons you caught in the wild up to a level where they can contribute to the fight by capitalizing on Connor's presence to get healed between fights and you should be set until the kuiki fight, after which you get access to a town and enough stuff to get you really started.

14 minutes ago, Yumil said:

You might have mixed it up with rejuvenation, I think it's current level cap at 0 badge is 17.

I don't think I have much advice to offer for that guy. I see you've already picked rockruff and rockruff should naturally resist tail slap so that's already a better boon than me trying to win this with venipede.But really, there's not many ways around this - train a couple mons you caught in the wild up to a level where they can contribute to the fight by capitalizing on Connor's presence to get healed between fights and you should be set until the kuiki fight, after which you get access to a town and enough stuff to get you really started.

Righto. Thanks again and I'll do as you've advised. I'll pick up a Hoothoot from the forest and Numel and a Grubbin from the cave and train them, as well as a Scatterbug (hopefully all shiny) and see if, at Level 17-18, these can help me with the Shiv and Kuiki battles. :) I'm feeling better about my chances already. that Tail Slap really is the bane of my playthrough at present. Rock Throw should hopefully become its bane.

Numel is your friend and is just great for your whole playthrough, btw

There's like 5 pokes you can catch at that point and one is basically good enough to solo Shiv after some grinding (admittedly need a tail slap miss)

Get Numel, train it up, beat Shiv, profit

#RolliBoiBestStarter #SphealWheels

There's a certain Pokėmon hidden by the lake in Keneph Jungle that should be very helpful against Aipom.

Spoiler

Behind the waterfall is a cave with acplaque on one wall. Interact with it a bunch of times until it opens up to get a Croagunk and the first piece of a lengthy sidequest.

Training a Butterfree to lv 13 for Stun Spore (or any other 'mon that can paralyze early) could also help since iirc Aipom tends to becfaster than most things you have access to at this point.

Do note that Desolation's earlygame generally tends to be considered quite tough with difficulty evening out a lot after the third Gym Leader or so. Rockruff is probably the best starter for this part of the game however so that should help quite a bit.

Thanks, Faint and Gentleman Jaggi, I'll certainly catch and train Caterpie into Butterfree, Stun Spore the Aipom, get the Numel and absolutely profit. :) Your team member suggestions are noted and valued. Which other five 'mons would help here? Yes, I'd thought so about Rockruff and still do. I will definitely get a Spheal first chance that I get (I, too, want the Rolly Boi. xD) Ice/Water typing is a great typing. I'd considered every potential Starter at length before I chose Rockruff, but every single permutation of team combination rerolled as Rockruff-led in my mind. It's the ideal Starter, in my opinion.

I'm glad that.  we were given the chance to have it in our early-game team. Rock Throw is  going to help out so much in my playthrough. I'll make sure to have several alternate teams that I can switch up and alternate when I most need to. It'll mean more training, but honestly, I'm part of the #Grind Hard Squad already, battlewise. It'll fill out the Pokedex, for sure. I don't even mind. More shinies for the win! Shiny hunting is love, shiny hunting is the grind, shiny hunting is ultimately worth the hassle.

EDIT: Shiv is down. I repeat, SHIV is down! Metaphorical shots fired. Two out of three of my protagonists have dealt with this miscreant, leaving but one individual only that is due to wreak havoc upon said shady and cryptic individual. I sense that he has more importance and value than I am currently aware of and look forward to learning more about said apparent nutzoid. That battle had been far too difficult for a first boss battle. I suggest the heavy application of a nerf hammer to the heads of Shiv and his team - particularly to his Aipom's Tail Slap (it never seemed to miss and it always hit five times) and to his Mega Drain spamming Roselia. Its Sneasel was the easiest to deal with. Only one of his Pokemon should have been given an Oran Berry, not two and certainly not one after the other, in my opinion.

Rodger, dodger. Over and out.

Edited by Valyrian_Reforged