Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Mothim and Headbutt Trees

ATHATH

Question

According to the wiki, Aventurine Woods contains both high encounter headbutt trees and low encounter headbutt trees, which appear to have identical encounter tables aside from the high encounter headbutt trees having a 4% Wormadam encounter rate and the low encounter headbutt trees having a 4% Mothim encounter rate.

Because Flygon is a pretty cool Pokemon and there's a guy who'll give you a Trapinch of equal level to a Mothim you give him, I decided to catch one of the high level Mothim from these low encounter headbutt trees. I headbutted every headbutt tree in Aventurine Woods (including the ones locked behind the Heracross/Pinsir puzzles) until each of them yielded either a 4% Wormadam encounter or a 4% Mothim encounter. This took multiple hours of real time (with speed up enabled) to do, and my efforts yielded me 0 Mothim(s?) or low encounter headbutt trees. Every single damn headbutt tree in those woods is a high encounter headbutt tree, as far as I can tell, which has understandably made me a bit peeved.

Did I just get incredibly unlucky with the distribution of headbutt tree types in my save file, or is the wiki just outdated and/or wrong about this? I've seen the wiki be wrong before- it currently claims that the single matching digit prize of the daily lottery is an ultra ball instead of a full restore, for example.

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Gastronely said:

You're better off just headbutting the trees inside of Seacrest'd Garden at Peridot Ward. Burmy is the most common encounter, and it doesn't take much long until it evolves

I know I can find them there- I actually already dug one from there out of my PC and evolved it into a Mothim before I ever set foot in Route 1. The problem is that the Trapinch guy's Trapinch's level will match the level of the Mothim that you trade to him, and a fresh Seacrest Garden Burmy will be like 30 levels behind the rest of your party by that point in the game. The question I have here isn't about that, though- it's about whether or not it's even possible to catch a Mothim from any of the headbutt trees in Aventurine Forest (and about whether or not the wiki is currently displaying outdated/incorrect encounter information that could trip up other people like me).

I was about to do the exact same thing, but since it seemed an extremely tedious process I searched for easier ways to do it on Google. I'm glad you made this post, I'll probably give up on getting the Trapinch since I just wanted it for collection

10 hours ago, Starry Knight said:

It is possible but it is highly unlikely, like less then 1% likely

The pbs's have the information but high/low headbutt chances are just low

So each headbutt tree has a <1% chance to be a low encounter headbutt tree, and which trees are or aren't low encounter headbutt trees never changes?

And what's the PBS?

On 6/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, ATHATH said:

So each headbutt tree has a <1% chance to be a low encounter headbutt tree, and which trees are or aren't low encounter headbutt trees never changes?

And what's the PBS?

it defines what pokemon and information the game is given about pokemon and other things

2 minutes ago, ATHATH said:

What's the expanded version of that acronym? I might want to look into this.

Idk if it stands for anything but this is from essentials which is part of the program used to make the game
https://essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/PBS_file#:~:text=A PBS file contains information,purpose of a PBS file.&text=Defines growth information about all,with one line per berry.