Typing discussion

JDMM

So, in your opinion, what are some of the best (and worst) typings in Pokemon? you can do either ones that are already present or not

So, imo

Present ones
Ghost/Fairy ( Mimikyu)

So, Ghost offsets Fairy's weakness to Poison while Fairy offsets Ghost's to Dark
Has pretty good offensive coverage, hitting super effective STAB on
Ghost

Psychic
Dark
Fighting
Dragon

also pretty good neutral coverage as well, not many resists to both STABs

Steel/Dragon (Dialga/Duraludon

Dragon offsets Steel's Fire and  weakness while Steel offsets Dragon's to Fairy, Dragon and Ice, for a total of 2( Ground and Fighting)

Also atleast neutral STAB coverage against everything except Dragon, Fairy, Rock, Ice that get hit for SE damage and Steel, the only resist?

Steel/Fairy

Steel covers both of Fairy's weaknesses (In fact turns one into an Immunity) while Fairy offsets Steel's to Fighting (leaving only Ground and Fire weaknesses)

Also hits super effective STAB on

Dark

Fighting

Dragon

Fairy

Ice 

Rock

Poison/Dark

Only one weakness (Ground, chople berry or Air Balloon ftw)

Pretty good SE coverage, and being a Dark type not weak to Fairy is pretty cool imo, also can deal SE damage to Fairy

Ghost/Dark

Honorable mention because while its just better than Poison/Dark defensively, only being weak to Fairy, and having 3 immunities (Fighting, Normal and Psychic),Ghost and Dark are way too similar offensively, literally being super effective on the same things, while dark has more resists (Fairy, and Fighting i think) and Ghost has Normal as an immunity and Dark as a resist, so you wouldnt even use (probably) one of the types offensively

Ground/Ice

Insane offensive STAB coverage, Ground is only resisted by Grass and Bug and doesnt affect Flying, Ice covers both Grass and Flying and again, most Ground types get Rock moves for the Bugs

For the weakness neutralization, Ground removes Ice's to Rock while Ice removes Ground's to well, Ice ... In the case of Mamoswine it gets Thick Fat, so by bye Fire weakness as well (also deals STAB SE damage to Fire from the Ground )

(EDIT)

Ghost/Fighting (Marshadow)

Defensively, only negates Ghost's weakness to Dark and thats it
offensively its the only unresistable STAB combo that exists in Pokemon

Non existant in the Main games yet

Normal/Ghost

Again, only one weakness ( Dark) and almost perfect STAB coverage, only not hitting Rock and Steel for atleast neutral (Could get Fighting moves,like Drain Punch, since all Normal types get Fighting moves), immune to Ghost, Normal and Fighting as well

Edited by JDMM

Also, i dont think a Pokemon with lots of weaknesses (Unless they are 4x) arent so bad
With respectable bulk it makes them prime users of Weakness Policy, especially with Screens up

Take for example Latias and other bulky Psychics 
Cosmic Power/Calm Mind
Recovery move

Stored Power

Fighting or Fairy move

Same for Dark types with Power Trip

Bulk Up, Agility, Dragon Dance or SD (you can make it like Max HP splitted defenses for the DD, Agility and SD sets)
Power Trip

Recovery move (If it gets Drain Punch or other physical draining move its perfect)

whatever you want 

3 minutes ago, Dark Champion said:

Non existant? EZ! For best I sayyyyyyyyyyy

Ice and poison

Hmmm, interesting in the way that has pretty OK Super Effective coverage and also to the point of having a lot of weaknesses, but none for 4X, wich would make it a good user of Weakness Policy, if it had the bulk for it that is.... 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, fellowry said:

For non existent typing, fire/grass is a strong typing defensive wise, only got 2 2x super effective weakness, and great coverage

Wrong answer. Fire/Grass type has 3 2x super effective weakness.

I feel bad for Aurorus because it has such a good design (IMO at least) and yet it's just weak to SO MUCH. Like 4x weakness to steel and fighting, and 2x weakness to ground, water, grass, and rock. That along with a lack of immunities and only a few resistants, to me, makes it one of the worst type pairings. Alolan Sandslash is up there, too, but at least it's immune to Poison. 

Just now, Progfan_r said:

Grass/Steel and Bug/Steel are extremely good defensive type combinations despite the 4x Fire weakness.

I agree, I love Scizor partly because it has an awesome design but also because it only has the one (4x granted) weakness. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Progfan_r said:

Grass/Steel and Bug/Steel are extremely good defensive type combinations despite the 4x Fire weakness.

The funny thing about Grass/Steel is that the only Pokemon that has that typing is Ferrothorn, and like 99% of Ferrothorn sets (in PvP) are Iron Barbs+ Rocky Helmet, then Max SPDef Max HPand Iron Defense, Leech Seed, Synthesis and Gyroball or something 

It's also weak to Fighting but there are like 3 non contact Fighting moves (Aura Sphere, Focus Miss and Vacuum Wave) all moves that are either not very widespread, unreliable or weak.. 

So basically to kill a Ferrothorn you have to use Fire. Or use Protective Pads in your Fighting type user 😂

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SilverOwl271 said:

I feel bad for Aurorus because it has such a good design (IMO at least) and yet it's just weak to SO MUCH. Like 4x weakness to steel and fighting, and 2x weakness to ground, water, grass, and rock. That along with a lack of immunities and only a few resistants, to me, makes it one of the worst type pairings. Alolan Sandslash is up there, too, but at least it's immune to Poison. 

True.. At least it makes it pretty OP in Inverse Battles 😂😂 but it's a shame.. It has pretty bulky stats but so many 4x weaknesses that it doesn't matter. It would be better off as like a Dragon/Ice type but GF for some reason thinks that every fossil mon has to be a Rock type (at least the Galar ones stopped that trend) 

Edited by JDMM

2 hours ago, JDMM said:

True.. At least it makes it pretty OP in Inverse Battles 😂😂 but it's a shame.. It has pretty bulky stats but so many 4x weaknesses that it doesn't matter. It would be better off as like a Dragon/Ice type but GF for some reason thinks that every fossil mon has to be a Rock type (at least the Galar ones stopped that trend) 

I was just gonna say that, that I would love to try using Aurorus in inverse battles!

And yeah, it would've been pretty cool (no pun intended) as a Dragon/Ice combo. 

I was so happy when they stopped adding Rock types to the fossils, but I feel bad for the Galar fossils- they literally shouldn't exist and it makes me sad 😔

3 hours ago, SilverOwl271 said:

I was just gonna say that, that I would love to try using Aurorus in inverse battles!

And yeah, it would've been pretty cool (no pun intended) as a Dragon/Ice combo. 

I was so happy when they stopped adding Rock types to the fossils, but I feel bad for the Galar fossils- they literally shouldn't exist and it makes me sad 😔

The Galar fossils are weird but pretty cool (also Dracovish is fucking broken under either Trick Room or Tailwind, because Fishious Rend is just crazy if you go first, but I prefer Tailwind or Trick Room with Life Orb over Choice Scarf because even with Fishious Rend being OP, a fucking Toxapex will live it for sure, but does not live a Psychic Fangs to the face) ) it also gets Sand Rush wich is pretty good but not as crazy as the sheer power of Strong Jaw

The fact is that their designs are based on the fact that in the beginning of Paleontology scientists used to combine different species of fossil to claim they discovered a new one.. When in fact it was, many of time, a scam, sure some were not on purpose but some were on purpose.. But yeah all of them look super uncomfortable 😂 Arctovish if they rotated its head wouldn't be so bad but that way it's just yikes 

Fire/Ground is one of the best defensive type when it comes to Fire type, even if it has 4x weakness to Water type and 2x weakness to Ground type but has immunity to Electric type. Mostly, as long it comes to Primal Groudon, Water types aren’t a threat, anymore. And also, Fire/Ground type is used mostly for the offensive, too.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RoyChaos said:

Fire/Ground is one of the best defensive type when it comes to Fire type, even if it has 4x weakness to Water type and 2x weakness to Ground type but has immunity to Electric type. Mostly, as long it comes to Primal Groudon, Water types aren’t a threat, anymore. And also, Fire/Ground type is used mostly for the offensive, too.

Even Camerupt is pretty okay with it.. Solid Rock means that it is only 2x to Water and no other weaknesses.. The thing with P-Groudon is that NORMAL Rayquaza (Air Lock) or even a Golduck(Cloud Nine) beats it with one Surf 😂

9 minutes ago, JDMM said:

Even Camerupt is pretty okay with it.. Solid Rock means that it is only 2x to Water and no other weaknesses.. The thing with P-Groudon is that NORMAL Rayquaza (Air Lock) or even a Golduck(Cloud Nine) beats it with one Surf 😂

You missed the point about Solid Rock. Camerupt will have a 3x weakness to Water type and a 1,5x weakness to Ground type.

17 minutes ago, RoyChaos said:

You missed the point about Solid Rock. Camerupt will have a 3x weakness to Water type and a 1,5x weakness to Ground type.

I thought it would do 50% damage, so would deny the Ground(. 5*2=1)weakness and make Water *2(.5*4)

Another non existent type combo that would be pretty good 

Ice/Electric 

Has a few weaknesses (but as I said before, would make it a prime candidate for Weakness Policy) but Ice/Electric is an amazing type combo for offense (BoltBeam is a staple of offensive coverage) being only cucked by VA Lanturn and pretty much does either SE or neutral to anything else 

10 minutes ago, JDMM said:

I thought it would do 50% damage, so would deny the Ground(. 5*2=1)weakness and make Water *2(.5*4)

You’re wrong. Solid Rock reduces damage from super effective moves by 25%, regardless of the effectiveness multiplier. That means it will do 75% of super effective damage (100%-25%=75%).

• 1 month later...