Ava, Scarlett, and the Plot. Potential Spoilynero.

Vhein

Hey,

I just picked up this game for the first time, very great game so far, with lots of plot holes / mystery to keep you interested, i'm enjoying this quite a lot ( which explain why i'm already at 40 hours over the week-end... but that's beyond the point )

What i wanted to say is i find it regrettable that we ( the player ) are not clearly introduced to the world around us, there is not much of world building, by that i mean, we do know what the intent of team Crescent is... But why are they fleeing reality ? What is so bad about it ? It doesn't translate very well in the world what they are fleeing from, in my opinion, and the motivation of Scarlett to join them is not clear too because of that.

And that transition onto my next point : Who are Ava and Scarlett exactly ? By that i mean, you start the game, and you characters is already acquainted to them, but you don't know any backstory about it, the only thing you know later on is that Ava is a gym leaders, and that's basically it, Scarlet could be your childhood friend, but you don't know about it, at least at the start of the game.

What would've made me love the game more than i already does, is more coherence within the story, it bugged me so much when Scarlett choose to join team Crescent, it would've made much more sense if we knew of her past beforehand, and there was something to "justify" her decision.

And the time where Ava decided to jump off the platform in the same scene... I didn't understand her point this time too, but that's minor.

Overall i'm having a BLAST with the game, love it for the story, i'm eager to continue my playthrough and to know more about every character backstory and the plot in general.

Thanks to the team of devs. Hope i didn't sound too rash, i'm genuinely enjoying the game and i want it to continue !

• Upvote 1

I agree with a lot of this, but I'll just point out something about crescent : y'know, looking at the state of Ayrith, I can kinda see the idea reality's kinda shit. Like. You've got people like kuiki doing their thing and somehow no one stops them, blackview is straight up a dump, Cellia is supposedly as good as you get in the whole region and half of it is STILL a dump and the other half seems to be rich people looking down on everyone else... Celeste city and Addenfall town are like the two places that can claim to be mostly chill in the region. 

I dunno if it's intended to be an actual worldbuild point because the narrative never connects the dots in an explicit way, but I can kinda give a pass to random crescent grunts for subscribing to that idea that reality is shit enough a dream is preferable.

I never saw it that way tbh, that's a valid point yeah, but it still lacks something more obvious, something that is presented to the player and not "guessed", imo.

There is nothing to guess. As Yumil pointed out, the corruption in Ayrith is all around. Blackview is basically gang slums and there's crime everywhere. There is a class segregation in Cellia alone, and the league has been missing a gym leader for 5-years but according to Hardy instead of finding a replacement they're just giving out the badge for free. The player is the exception due to Tristen being some bizarre exclusive phenomenon. 

Until the Player's arrival got the gym leaders off their asses, the Rangers seemed to be the only people who gave a shit but didn't have enough members to get much of a job done. 

Scarlett's motivation to join Crescent could come at least in part from her tending to fall behind the Player and Ava. 

Ava is a gym leader and the Player both defeats a psychopathic hypnotist who imprisoned an entire community and earns their first badge while their new trainer card is still warm from the printer.

Scarlett has to remain in Redcliff Town to train with Connor while the Player and Ava take on Team Crescent, is defeated by the Player and the Player is given the option to directly favor Ava over her. There is an optional interaction with Scarlett in Celeste City, in which she prompts the Player to choose their preferred travel partner between her and Ava. The question itself is hypothetical but effects the Player's relationship with her. 

I'll grant that she did need more backstory however as judging by her suicide or suicide attempt depending on a Player choice she did seem to genuinely believe in Cresent's New World or perhaps was deeply manipulated considering how Baren regarded her like a caring father figure and that needed some eloquence. 

Additionally, it's quite strange that if the Player stops her suicide, she seems to just be suddenly back on our side with no explanation and in either case the entire ordeal is swept under the rug. Instead the focus is exclusively on the player passing out directly after. I hope that is remedied in episode 6. 

yeah, the blackwiev tower scene with scarlett only really works if the player character puts forward a good retort as to why Crescent's plan is bullshit, which seems to be what the dialogue is going for, but since the mc is entirely silent and not even given text prompts like the confonrtation with aurora, it comes off as extremely clunky. Caz wanting to fix some of Scarlett's issues is one of the things i'm most hyped for E6's early game revamps.

I agree with Vhein, though - yeah, the events are there, but the story wouldn't work less, and in fact, would work more for some people, if the narrative acknowledged that yeah, all those events aren't just their for the convenience of the story, nearly all of Ayrith is supposed to come off as a dump.

39 minutes ago, Yumil said:

Caz wanting to fix some of Scarlett's issues is one of the things i'm most hyped for E6's early game revamps.

Glad to hear this is being addressed, I look forward to that as well. 

I agree with Vhein, though - yeah, the events are there, but the story wouldn't work less, and in fact, would work more for some people, if the narrative acknowledged that yeah, all those events aren't just their for the convenience of the story, nearly all of Ayrith is supposed to come off as a dump.

It most certainly would help set up the plot more efficiently.