Pokémon Reborn accessibility for blind players

Gamulation

First, thank you @Tensoon the Kandra for this great feedback.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:10 PM, Tensoon the Kandra said:

1) Add a "current coordinates" hotkey we can press to immediately show us where we are

This should be no problem to implement.

2) Extend the range of the clickable event scanner.  Perhaps just double it in size.

This is very easy to do, I initially thought it would be too confusing if I extend the range of the clickable events. At the moment it searches in a readius of 7 tiles, but I can double it with no problems regarding the runtime.

3) There is also currently no way of knowing when you are in an area where you can encounter wild pokemon, being able to locate those would be helpful, same goes for fishing spots.  If I was not using a walkthrough I would never have been able to find the fishing spot.  Could not manage to catch any pokemon anyway though, I always just got "not even a nibble," not sure if I was doing something wrong, it has been a while since I have played a pokemon game.

I think this will be a challange for me. Regarding the fishing, not every fishing results in a pokemon. I would say every second or third fishing I get one. To actually catch one, when the text output changes from dots to "Oh, something bite" you have to press the A button (X key?). If it is to early or late pressed, the pokemon escapes. This button pressing can be disabled with some mod. If I can get the time I could see if these two are combatible or you try it out yourself and give it a try. the mod adds additional options within the game menu, for example the auto fishing without additional button pressing.
The mod can be found here:

A "re-select previous destination" hotkey is what I want most though.

While it should be on the easier side to implement, it gives me a headache. I also want this the most of the possible features and I will think about it.

4) Since we essentially have to use coordinates to identify events and places it would also be helpful if they arranged themselves in a logical order determined by the coordinates such as ascending order based on Y-axis for example.

This, I can also do relative easy.

Maybe I get some time on the weekend to focus on the easier points to provide a more playable version.
Another question I have: Would it be better to show all map connections, without checking if it is accesable from the current location? The checking is currently enabled, because some indoor locations are on the same "indoor" map in the files. It would list exit coordinates from other buildings, which are of course, not reachable from the current player location. Another example would be a bridge, which can only be accesed if someone entered the map from a different direction. I wanted to avoid confusion why an exit can not be reached. Didn't thought I would create a hunt for the gym entry, my bad. Any suggestions?

Edited by Malta10
spelling mistake

Hi, another blind player here. So far from what I'm reading the mods look cool. My only question is does it track items or can it show places where pokemon go durring certain times of days? I saw a lets play and someone was showing where to find a pokemon in the morning and at night. How do we read the stats of the pokemon? do we use OcR or is there a mod that can read them to us?

The mod should detect visible items on the ground, as well as hidden items. Pokemon will be only detected by the "clickable event" option if the pokemon is displayed and can be clicked by the player. Position of possible a possible spawn under different conditions (f.e. weather, time) will not be displayed.

OCR is used. But I remember from the previous posts, that the stat screen seems to be a problem. @Seb2314 Did you found a solution for the stat screen?

the current and only accessable version is 0.0.1.
It contains an early version of my pathfinding mod and the distance gauge mod by DemICE. I just uploded it this month. I can't garantee the compatibility to other mods.
For further install instructions and the download link visit the related thread:

There is a mod, which lets you pick a starter, but I don't think there is currently something like a shiny detection or selection of a shiny starter.

@Molta10 in response to "Another question I have: Would it be better to show all map connections, without checking if it is accesable from the current location? The checking is currently enabled, because some indoor locations are on the same "indoor" map in the files. It would list exit coordinates from other buildings, which are of course, not reachable from the current player location. Another example would be a bridge, which can only be accesed if someone entered the map from a different direction. I wanted to avoid confusion why an exit can not be reached. Didn't thought I would create a hunt for the gym entry, my bad. Any suggestions?"

This is a rather complicated issue.  You were correct in making it clear with the path finder that a location cannot be reached, there is nothing wrong with that.  The issue is that we can't see what a particular teleport zone/building is without actually going there.  Unless there is an easy way to change the names displayed for the locations on the scan results I don't see an easy solution.  You could perhaps keep the disclaimer that the a current location cannot currently be reached but give directions to it anyway? This would be kind of pointless though, this issue with the gym is kind of a unique one.  I mean the only circumstance in which you would want to go to a building you cannot enter is if it is necessary to interact with the door to progress the story.  This would happen naturally for a sighted player though because they would naturally search out the gym, that is logical pokemon player behaveour, but because we cannot see and we don't know what the different buildings are without going to them we won't even know we are missing, or don't have access to, the gym.  All we know is there is a closed location we cannot go to.

The reason why I wanted to "current coordinates" button was so that I could perhaps locate the gym myself and scan for clickable events nearby.  That is assuming the gym is even a clickable event.  Honestly I don't think logical progression will work for blind players in this game.  As far as story event triggers and even pokemon locations go we will have to use a walkthrough.  If you implement the changes I suggested I am sure I will be able to progress with the help of a walkthrough. 

16 hours ago, trtr1000 said:

is their a font that works well with OCR?

honestly? remove all fonts from the Fonts folder.  the absense of fonts causes the text to be like Arial, which i can see being more compatible with OCR

On 5/30/2021 at 7:58 PM, DemICE said:

honestly? remove all fonts from the Fonts folder.  the absense of fonts causes the text to be like Arial, which i can see being more compatible with OCR

Oh that is not my case, if i move my fonts in the game, nothing is read.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...