Pokemon Essentials' Pit of Schadenfreude

laggless01

I was not sure if this should be in Bug Reports, Reborn City or the Onyx Wasteland, but since it's related to Reborn Development I thought opening a topic here for it. It is quite niche tho, but could be fun.

For anyone who has had the fortune to work with Pokemon Essentials, what were the most "fun" experiences with it...let's just say working "less than optimally"? For examples, one can look at some of the Reborn Development Blog-posts, but anything nonsensical, bizarre or maddeningly-funny-in-hindsight would be great. For educational purposes, of course. And giggles.

I'm a little bit hesitant to say something as a certain thread really did show how out of hand this has really gotten. I really do think the shit throwing has gone a bit too far. It really does make it sound like Essentials is the worst thing ever built when in fact it's a really good system. It's a massive system made by a few hobbyist which really is a feat and works really well for its primary purpose. And making something from scratch and optimizing things are two things that any programmer should do but one is easier to do than another. I've made things that were nonsensical to someone else with more experience. But at the end of the day there have been some very enjoyable games made from base essentials. Think of it like older cars vs newer cars. They both do their jobs at the end of the day.

Let me just tell you that the worst thing I've experienced with essentials is leagues much more tolerable than RMXP issues. Invisible tiles causing the power to walk through walls, events not jumping over to the new tabs, movements failing, movements failing but only if text is skipped, movements failing if text isn't skipped fast enough, tilesets failing to load. Free use sprites in the wrong file format causing them to be glitchy in Game-Z, and many other random whims. My absolute favorite are the event tabs that just YEET themselves from existence.

But if you want interesting essentials facts, the follower system has to quite literally be one of the most overkill systems I have ever seen. So the logic is that whatever direction the player moves the character behind will follow and move the same direction. But what if the player is forced to move a certain direction. That isn't built as an exception. No, it just teleports them to be right behind unless it can't then it goes to the North, then South, and so on. It will use this logic when the follower is 2 tiles away, then 3, then more than 3. There is so much code built into this system it actually made my head spin and I don't quite understand everything in it. I've actually torn out a few dozen lines trying to figure out what does what and seeing no difference. And on the flip side it makes for situations like Reborn have quite literally one of the wackiest respawn systems to be ever made. And now you know why Aya is hyper active.

• Developers
1 hour ago, Commander said:

I'm a little bit hesitant to say something as a certain thread really did show how out of hand this has really gotten. I really do think the shit throwing has gone a bit too far. It really does make it sound like Essentials is the worst thing ever built when in fact it's a really good system. It's a massive system made by a few hobbyist which really is a feat and works really well for its primary purpose. And making something from scratch and optimizing things are two things that any programmer should do but one is easier to do than another. I've made things that were nonsensical to someone else with more experience. But at the end of the day there have been some very enjoyable games made from base essentials. Think of it like older cars vs newer cars. They both do their jobs at the end of the day.

For the most part it's joking around and hey if it wasn't for essentials we wouldn't have fangames like reborn,rejuv, and many others so that's a plus maybe? I can't speak for anyone else but essentials also has issues I've dealt with in my experience with the animation editor like if a script hangs it closes me out of it without saving,the lag of messing with it's settings and oh arceus I wish it worked better with doubles battles.