Yet Another "Please Rate This Team" Post

Pidgeysus

I'm just getting back into the game after a looooong time (after Ep 9.) and I'm not 100% sure if my planned team is headed in the right direction. I like where it's going but I want to get more opinions, so here I am bouncing it off you folks! 😊

Are these mons early even available in the early to mid game? I'll probably have a few fillers as I work up to catching the below six but I intend these to be my core with minimal switching.

Thoughts on the below team, any suggestions for alternates or movesets even, and mons I can use while waiting getting the ones I want? Thanks in advance! 😀

Blaziken
Ability: Speed Boost

• Swords Dance
  • Fire Punch
  • Brick Break
  • Brave Bird/Aerial Ace

Greninja
Ability: Protean

• Surf or Waterfall, not sure
  • Rock Slide
  • Shadow Sneak
  • Dark Pulse

Metagross
Ability: Clear Body

• Zen Headbutt
  • Iron Head
  • Earthquake
  • Bullet Punch

Togekiss
Ability: Serene Grace

• Aura Sphere
  • Air Slash
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Thunder Wave

Goodra
Ability: Sap Sipper

• Sludge Bomb/Wave
  • Aqua Tail
  • Power Whip
  • Dragon Pulse

Vikavolt
Ability: Levitate

• Energy Ball
  • Volt Switch
  • Thunderbolt
  • Bug Buzz

Give surf to greninja (waterfall is a physical attack and greninja is a sp atkr)

Give flare blitz/blaze kick and sky upper cut/high jump kick to blaziken. Also sword dance TM is not available yet

Edited by Crystalrage

Unless it's your starter, you don't get a Froakie until extremely late in the game, and Torchic is almost as far up there. Beldum isn't available until after you get the 13th badge and Goomy is after the 14th or 15th. You have a pretty low chance to get a Togepi fairly early in the game which you can try to SR for, otherwise you can only get it around the same time as Goomy, and Grubbin is available really earlygame but you have to wait until you get the 7th badge before you can fully evolve it. 

If you're fine with waiting that long to have your full team then you should definitely have fillers that you're comfortable with, you would be keeping them for a while. If not then you may want to rethink some of them, or just try and get what Pokemon you can as they're available.

8 hours ago, Rendolf said:

Unless it's your starter, you don't get a Froakie until extremely late in the game, and Torchic is almost as far up there. Beldum isn't available until after you get the 13th badge and Goomy is after the 14th or 15th. You have a pretty low chance to get a Togepi fairly early in the game which you can try to SR for, otherwise you can only get it around the same time as Goomy, and Grubbin is available really earlygame but you have to wait until you get the 7th badge before you can fully evolve it. 

If you're fine with waiting that long to have your full team then you should definitely have fillers that you're comfortable with, you would be keeping them for a while. If not then you may want to rethink some of them, or just try and get what Pokemon you can as they're available.

Good to know, thanks! I have a friend who'll trade me a Froakie and I guess I'm SRing for Togepi lol.

overall though, once I finally put this team together, I think it's pretty balanced, right?

The team's balanced although soft-resetting for Togepi isn't as easy as you think as you need to go beat the 3rd gym and if it's not Togepi then you have to restart the whole game again up to the 3rd badge just for a 1/18th chance of getting Togepi.

The event that has a 1 in 18 chance of giving you Togepi is determined when you start your playthrough so you can't soft reset for it. This is also the case for the event with Grubbin is early but it's a 1 in 2 chance to get it otherwise you'll get it around the same point of the game you get Goomy at.

Your team looks pretty good other than the fact that you get a lot of them later in the game. Once you get access to the move tutor you'll probably want to get your Blaziken to remember Flare Blitz and Hi Jump Kick as they are much stronger than Fire Punch and Brick Break. Swords Dance isn't available yet but you get Bulk Up through levelling. 

3 hours ago, Amphibi said:

The event that has a 1 in 18 chance of giving you Togepi is determined when you start your playthrough so you can't soft reset for it. This is also the case for the event with Grubbin is early but it's a 1 in 2 chance to get it otherwise you'll get it around the same point of the game you get Goomy at.

WELP. Back to the drawing board I guess, lol.

Torchic is available far in Calcenon City. Unless you grab it as a starter.
Froakie is avaiable even further in the late of episode 18, Agate City right before 17th gym. Unless you make it for starter too.

Pseudo-legendary is so damn hard to obtain. They're in event pokemon, which mean you can only get 1 for each (unless you breed it). 

For Goomy, it is available in Restored Obsidia Slum. Kinda late game.
And for Gible, it is available in Agate Circus. Kinda late game.

Alternatively, you can trade Togepi with Probobass in Restored Coral Ward. You'll need to Upgrade the Railnet.

Grubbin is available even before badge one. But can only evolve into Vikavolt, in some place, and it is mid game.

If you wanna navigate pokemon you can obtain, check out this spreadsheet someone made

If I see.. maybe you can use Muddy Water on Goodra instead of Aqua Tail.

Muddy Water has 5% less accuracy than Aqua Tail, but it is special attack and provide slight chance to lower opponent's accuracy. It also learnable via level up.

And for Metagross, are you sure not gonna play Meteor Mash? It was Metagross' (almost) signature move, having 10 less accuracy than Iron Head, but 10 less power, plus 20% increasing user's ATK.

But Iron Head is also neat for 30% flinch rate.

Well I'm just recommending. Feel free to choose by yourself, and forget not to have fun!