EV Training

Lucifer Morningstar

I'm new to this but I wanted to give it a go on my level 81 Swanna as she could use some improvements particularly in her Special Defense. 

I bought a few EV reset discs and had the Power items from the new Slyveon I am leveling up. I used the Special Defense reset disc and gave her a Power Band and used her to wipe out a few of Indra's Pokemon then a few rock and fighting Pokemon on Route 2. 

Her Special Defense EVs were at 40. Now they're at 33 and won't increase anymore! What the fuck?!

Again I am new at this but I am getting pissed, please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that I didn't just waste my somewhat low money on these stupid discs just to LOSE 7 EVs?
I was a little worried about using them on a level 81 Pokemon but thought why would they be withheld from availability until such a point in the game if high leveled Pokemon can't benefit from them?!

Chloe has been with me since I hatched her and has been such a large part of my success in this game despite her bad EVs and I love her but if I could have bettered her, I just wanted to take the opportunity. 

Hey no worries, I'm sure we can figure out what's up and Chloe will be tanking those special hits in no time! 

So EV training can make a big difference in how a pokemon performs, it basically helps you specialize them to what role you want them to play (generalist, physical wall, special attacker, etc), so I personally think EV training is great. 

I don't think you would want to reset her Special Defense to 0 though by using a reset disc? A pokemon can only have a total of 510 EV points across all their stats. So if you want to boost Chloe's special defense you would want to decrease the EV's in other stats while adding more EV's to the special defense stat. Was she at 40 before you used the special defense reset disc? Or a little while after?

I don't know about the SpD EV's dropping, but if they won't go up anymore are you at a total of 510 EVs across all the stats? Because once you hit 510 no EVs will increase until you make room by using a reset disc or friendship berries. 

33 minutes ago, Devilish said:

I'm new to this but I wanted to give it a go on my level 81 Swanna as she could use some improvements particularly in her Special Defense. 

I bought a few EV reset discs and had the Power items from the new Slyveon I am leveling up. I used the Special Defense reset disc and gave her a Power Band and used her to wipe out a few of Indra's Pokemon then a few rock and fighting Pokemon on Route 2. 

Her Special Defense EVs were at 40. Now they're at 33 and won't increase anymore! What the fuck?!

Again I am new at this but I am getting pissed, please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that I didn't just waste my somewhat low money on these stupid discs just to LOSE 7 EVs?
I was a little worried about using them on a level 81 Pokemon but thought why would they be withheld from availability until such a point in the game if high leveled Pokemon can't benefit from them?!

Chloe has been with me since I hatched her and has been such a large part of my success in this game despite her bad EVs and I love her but if I could have bettered her, I just wanted to take the opportunity. 

any pokemon can have a total of 510 evs
252 is the max in one stat
Your supposed to use the reset discs on the evs you don't want or the friendship berries on the evs u don't want

30 minutes ago, Dante52 said:

Was she at 40 before you used the special defense reset disc? Or a little while after?

It was 40 before the disc. 

30 minutes ago, Dante52 said:

they won't go up anymore are you at a total of 510 EVs across all the stats? Because once you hit 510 no EVs will increase until you make room by using a reset disc or friendship berries. 

Ooooh I see. I did not know this part. 
Well I also bought Defense and Special Attack discs, will I be needing those?

Just now, Devilish said:

Maybe on anther pokemon but not if those are the stats u want on Sylveon

14 minutes ago, Devilish said:

So maybe what happened was it was at 40, you used the disc bringing it back down to 0, and then did a few battles, and then the next time you checked it had gone back up from 0 to 33. 
I would recommend getting rid of EV's in Attack if your Swanna is a Special Attacker, and then "moving" those EVs to Special Defense. 

If you EV train all your pokemon you'll probably use the Defense disc and special attack discs eventually, but you'll use them when you want to decrease that stat. So use the special attack disc on a physical attacker. 

Glad we got it figured out! Have fun training! 

3 hours ago, Starry Knight said:

Maybe on anther pokemon but not if those are the stats u want on Sylveon

I've already used the Power items on Sylveon because I just hatched it yesterday and for sure wanted to focus on it's defense as it's defense IV is bad but overall it was the best shiny Eevee I was able to hatch in days and I got tired of hatching eggs. So Duma is def doing well. 

Here are some screenies:

Chloe:

Spoiler

Spoiler

F6FWd2U.png

7Wa04SB.png

Yeah her Special Defense IV is 0 which is horrid but I only just recently started looking at IVs and I've noticed I have the trashiest luck with Special Defense in this game. I have the trashiest IV luck period in this game but Special Defense especially. 

Duma:

Spoiler

Spoiler

bEKQiXl.png
aYC8kbb.png

Ugh, now that I'm looking at it, Duma's Special Defense Evs could use more work as well. 

For clarification, I'm preparing for Tourmaline Desert, Reshiram version so it includes a Taka battle. 

3 hours ago, Dante52 said:

I would recommend getting rid of EV's in Attack if your Swanna is a Special Attacker, and then "moving" those EVs to Special Defense. 

Her moveset is half and half:

Liquidation
Surf
Hurricane
Brave Bird

Nature is Hasty BTW. 

UPDATE:

OK, so I bought some tomato berries, used a few on Chloe (she had the most EVs in speed) and now her Special Defense is going up. Woot!
I might subtract a few from Attack as well to work on her Defense in a bit. 

Edited by Devilish

• 2 years later...