general tips for game and team?

measlesknuckles

hi howdy!! uh i've played reborn before (after third gym but before fourth) but it's been a really long time,,, so i wanted to get some proper tips and suggestions for when i get back into it (starting from a new file,, it's kinda weird to just drop in on something unfamiliar to me now) i'm thinking of choosing fennekin as a starter. 

• Hmm 1

Hello! 

So I will say that if you're looking for a Fire Starter that can carry you through the game I would HIGHLY recommend either Charmander or Torchic. If you reset until you get Speed Boost Torchic that thing will WRECK throughout the game. Charmander is great because of a move it will learn early in the game, Dragon Rage. Dragon Rage is amazing for early game because often times most mons dont even have 40 HP so its guarantees a OHKO. Later in the game you'd have Charizard so he's a solid win-win. Additionally, I'd recommend picking yourself up the Meowstic as that thing is actually pretty dang good throughout the game. Lastly, dont be afraid to use more than 6 pokemon. Keep a rotation trained up so that way when you go up against a gym battle, you can have a few options for your team! It can really make or break a playthough. 

• Upvote 1

I like what @Jbastian1 said as for best fire type. But IMHO I think you should go with one of your faves because it will make you want to train it even if its difficult and that's the fun in every PokeAdventure, Its your bond as cliche as that sounds, but just picking the best pokemon and making sure they have this and that, kinda makes it too tedious and really limits your picks.

Hope you find something that really suits you.

Totodile FTW 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny_Nevori said:

I like what @Jbastian1 said as for best fire type. But IMHO I think you should go with one of your faves because it will make you want to train it even if its difficult and that's the fun in every PokeAdventure, Its your bond as cliche as that sounds, but just picking the best pokemon and making sure they have this and that, kinda makes it too tedious and really limits your picks.

Hope you find something that really suits you.

Totodile FTW 😎

I was a Totodile person myself! And I will totally agree here that choose your favorite to have the most fun. I just recommended the two fire starters as you seemed hesitant with Fennekin. I will say in regards to choosing Totodile, finding a good water type is CHALLENGING in this game until mid-late game. There are a couple of okay ones you can get, but a really solid one can be tough to find. Lastly , one other recommendation that I have is to pay attention to the abilities of your pokemon. You are far more likely to find Hidden Abilities in this game. That being said, take your time catching mons you want until you get one with the ability you're interested in. It can definitely make your playthrough easier. (Additionally, later in the game you will get access to change your pokemons abilities, however it is later in the game after a good amount of gyms.

5 minutes ago, jbastian1 said:

I was a Totodile person myself! And I will totally agree here that choose your favorite to have the most fun. I just recommended the two fire starters as you seemed hesitant with Fennekin. I will say in regards to choosing Totodile, finding a good water type is CHALLENGING in this game until mid-late game. There are a couple of okay ones you can get, but a really solid one can be tough to find. Lastly , one other recommendation that I have is to pay attention to the abilities of your pokemon. You are far more likely to find Hidden Abilities in this game. That being said, take your time catching mons you want until you get one with the ability you're interested in. It can definitely make your playthrough easier. (Additionally, later in the game you will get access to change your pokemons abilities, however it is later in the game after a good amount of gyms.

Totally agree here about abilities and finding water types, but I found an ability capsule before the first gym, still haven't used it cause I've gotten lucky but yeah, not sure where i found it though so cant help you there.

14 minutes ago, Johnny_Nevori said:

Heres another tip, for training, Alleys and Underground Railnets are great spots

There are trainers in the Grand Hall who can always be battled, much faster than training against wild pokemon, plus you get money.

The starters are all good, none of them will give you a disadvantage, so choose the one you like.

Kricketune is very good early in the game, you can get Kricketoot before the first gym from a NPC in a house in Lower Peridot Ward. Try to get one with Technician if possible.

When there's a thunderstorm as the current weather, you can find Tynamo in the alley right next to the house where you can get the Kricketoot. Put it in the daycare until you get a Thunderstone and can evolve it and you'll have a really strong Electric type very early on. You might be able to fully evolve it around as early as the fourth gym.

The arcade in Onyx Ward sells pretty good pokemon. If you're patient enough to play Voltorb flip, you can buy Shinx, Slugma or a male Nidoran.

Another two very strong pokemon that are available very early are linked to the missing policemen quest after the second badge. If you find them all, you can get a Growlithe from the police. If you then breed an Growlithe egg and take it back to the police station, you can trade it for a random egg which contains one of 18 very strong pokemon.

Also try collecting the Department Stickers to get access to as many floors in the Department store in Obsidia Ward as possible. They sell Power Items for EV training very early, and on the second floor I believe you can buy Metronome's, which are very good Items to have at this early point in the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edo said:

There are trainers in the Grand Hall who can always be battled, much faster than training against wild pokemon, plus you get money.

OK so I went to the Grand Hall and faced the 1 trainer that was there and I can't beat them even with a team of 6 all lvl 20.

Spoiler

mons.png.5bb64f4d3bb104ed377f0cef69746e50.png

I can't even get past their first Pokemon.

Spoiler

BO.png.c70309d7475b4896e2ed5ea832d96948.png

This is not faster as I haven't gained 1 single lvl on any of my Pokemon and I lost so much that I am now broke and can't buy anything.

Spoiler

NM.png.4fe40a88d8b06a50a44c0e550485b221.png

I went back to the wilds (where at least Onix gets a boost for his moves)

I wouldn't suggest this until higher lvls honestly

Edited by Johnny_Nevori

My top 5 tips would be:

#1: Save Often!

There are plenty of times when walking through a door or talking to someone will start an unforeseen battle. And don't be afraid to reset after losing a battle to save some money.

#2: Field Effects Are (Often) Not Your Friend!

The gym leader will always have an advantage over you. Definitely have at least 1 guy to set up your own terrain, destroy theirs, or create a weather effect.

#3: Explore the Map!

So many hidden nooks and crannies. And like Seal said, talk to the rocks. Rare, invisible items are plentiful and help keep your money up.

#4: Expand Your Team!

Having more than 6 guys really helps cover weaknesses you might not realize your team has. It nice before a gym battle to look at a squad of 10-12 trained and ready pokemon and pick which 6 you need. I'd also recommend keeping somebody with a killing move like perish song or destiny bond to make easy work of fighting the "boss" pokemon throughout the game.

#5: Do Your Research!

I always play with Bulbapedia or Serebii open. Really helpful to know exactly what your going up against or what moveset you're training towards. Oh, and don't forget the game is currently running off info from gen VII, ultra sun and moon.

43 minutes ago, TheSpinyOne said:

#5: Do Your Research!

I always play with Bulbapedia or Serebii open. Really helpful to know exactly what your going up against or what moveset you're training towards. Oh, and don't forget the game is currently running off info from gen VII, ultra sun and moon.

Another couple awesome sites is PokemonDB & Smogon as well

Edited by Johnny_Nevori

If its your first time playing through Reborn and you don't mind using cheesy strats, I would suggest picking up a trubbish or gulpin. For trubbish I like to get toxic spikes on him early so that you can set those up and stall to let the poison kill the pokemon. gulpin/swalot kind of the same deal, but he brings more utility I think. He has access to yawn, and toxic which make him really nice for getting status effects on pokemon. 

I would also recommend soft resetting for certain ivs and natures that are beneficial to your pokemon. My rule of thumb is to atleast have 10-15+ ivs in a stat that the pokemon uses.  Yeah it might be tedious constantly soft resetting, but trust me, its worth it. 

That's just my two cents, I've only done one complete play through of the game, so there's probably a lot I've missed.

10 hours ago, Bladed_Zephyr said:

If its your first time playing through Reborn and you don't mind using cheesy strats, I would suggest picking up a trubbish or gulpin. For trubbish I like to get toxic spikes on him early so that you can set those up and stall to let the poison kill the pokemon. gulpin/swalot kind of the same deal, but he brings more utility I think. He has access to yawn, and toxic which make him really nice for getting status effects on pokemon. 

I would also recommend soft resetting for certain ivs and natures that are beneficial to your pokemon. My rule of thumb is to atleast have 10-15+ ivs in a stat that the pokemon uses.  Yeah it might be tedious constantly soft resetting, but trust me, its worth it. 

That's just my two cents, I've only done one complete play through of the game, so there's probably a lot I've missed.

NGL Gulpin carried me pretty far- I personally don't care much for Trubbish as a mon but I know alot of people swear by it still. I personally used Swalot quite effectively well into the 40s if not early 50s if I recall correctly.

5 hours ago, pinkiepop said:

wow! i didn't expect so many responses! i really appreciate all your inputs :). i usually go fennekin cuz i kinda have an attachment to it, or mudkip due to the first gym. i think i'm mostly worried about pulse tangrowth,, that thing lasts forever from what i remember! 

I mean, there will be PLENTY of challenges like the Pulse Tangrowth tbh so if you're worried about it, I would recommend you pick up some extra mons for your rotation at least that are a little more geared to dealing with Grass/Poison types- but don't feel like this one challenging fight has to permanently impact your team choices! Trust me, pulse Tangrowth will not be your biggest challenge in this game.

6 hours ago, pinkiepop said:

wow! i didn't expect so many responses! i really appreciate all your inputs :). i usually go fennekin cuz i kinda have an attachment to it, or mudkip due to the first gym. i think i'm mostly worried about pulse tangrowth,, that thing lasts forever from what i remember! 

Pulse Tangrowth is easy to defeat with either Kricketune or a poison type that knows Acid Spray like Trubbish or Gulpin.

17 hours ago, Johnny_Nevori said:

OK so I went to the Grand Hall and faced the 1 trainer that was there and I can't beat them even with a team of 6 all lvl 20.

I can't even get past their first Pokemon.

This is not faster as I haven't gained 1 single lvl on any of my Pokemon and I lost so much that I am now broke and can't buy anything.

I went back to the wilds (where at least Onix gets a boost for his moves)

I wouldn't suggest this until higher lvls honestly

Sorry to hear that. Although it's generally a good training spot, you just got unlucky with the timing. Their levels are adjusted to the number of badges you possess, so if you go there right after beating a gym, chances are their teams will now be stronger than the gym leader. Also the guy with the Drifloon you battled is probably one of the stronger trainers that appear in Grand Hall. On weekends a lot of trainers are there, not just one, so if you change your PCs date to a Saturday or Sunday you could battle them everyday. Especially one couple that you fight in a Double Battle has a Chansey and is good for grinding. But I guess that the best one depends on how fast you can defeat them, and if none work you'll have to make do with wild battles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:44 AM, pinkiepop said:

hi howdy!! uh i've played reborn before (after third gym but before fourth) but it's been a really long time,,, so i wanted to get some proper tips and suggestions for when i get back into it (starting from a new file,, it's kinda weird to just drop in on something unfamiliar to me now) i'm thinking of choosing fennekin as a starter. 

Hey bud, how is the playthrough going? I am curious how far you've made it so far and what your team is looking like? Hope you're having fun!

On 3/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, pinkiepop said:

o my gosh, im so sorry i didnt notice until now!! i havent actually started yet,,, sorry 😞

Oh no worries at all! With everything going on in the world right now, I completely understand how it could be challenging to focus on this. Hope you have a great time though when you do start!