Any experienced players want to evaluate my team?

Tiz

Hello everyone

I am new to Pokemon reborn and am amazed by its difficulty. I am at my first playthrough and have recently beaten Noel. During this run I have basically learned everything about Pokemon on the go, because the last time I played a Pkm Game was like 10 years ago. Because of this I realised, that I made a lot of mistakes early and also, that I need to try hard to play through this game. So I wanted some input on my current team and maybe some hints, what i need to improve and what already is good with it.

Here is my current roster:

Golem, lvl. 55, Sturdy

Earthquake - Strength - Stone Edge - Rock Smash

Jellicent, lvl. 56, Damp

Brine - Hex - Recover - Hydro Pump

Amoonguss, lvl. 56, Effect Spore

Solar Beam - Toxic - Synthesis - Giga drain

Ampharos, lvl. 57, Plus

Power Gem - Signal Beam - Light Screen - Discharge

Bronzong, lvl. 56, Heavy Metal

Gyro Ball - Extrasensory - Hypnosis - Future Sight

Scrafty, lvl. 56, Shed Skin

High Jump Kick - Rock Climb - Crunch - Fire Punch

Decently trained Pokemon in my Box: Mamutel, Alola Vulpix, Floatzel, Ratticate, Wigglytuff, Chesnaught, Magcargo, Meowstic male, Luxray, Drapion

I have around 50 wild pokemon that I never trained.

Any feedback is much appreciated ❤️

Hey @Tiz, how you doing? Welcome to this Forum. First of all, there is a 'rule' where you should introduce yourself in a post on Grand Hall section of the Forum, you are not bound to do it, but it's nice to know more about you, people around here are very welcoming!

But let's get down to business. Well, if you played only the canon games, you may be used to lvl up your mons a little higher and just beat anything that comes against you, and this, as you may have already noticed, is not true in Reborn. But, Reborn offers the best mechanics from the canon games plus a wide variety of mons so you can build various strategies, along with a deep story, that is the high point of the game for me.

So, it's possible to beat Reborn with only six mons, and not having to grinding a lot of mons. The key is to plan your strategy, build a well-rounded team, where you have advantages against all 16 types and have coverage for the most of them. Another thing that helps is IV breeding and EV training, both are available throughout the game (after you do the day care quest) but are easier to do after you beat the fifteenth Gym Leader (as you just beat Noel, you haven't met this Leader yet, so I won't spoil).

Now, let's talk about your team. You seem to like bulk/slow mons. That is for sure not my playstyle, but I suggest you to use a Trick Room setter, so you can profit from these small speed stats on your team. As you have just beaten Noel, you have already access to the TM, it's in Chrysolia Forest, inside a cave to the east, where you can also get a Eevee (the location may have changed, but I don't know). Coming to movesets, you only doesn't have effective moves against Dragon, think about having a Ice or Fairy mon/move on your team. You should also think well the movesets, you have repeated type moves on your mons, Brine and Hydro Pump on Jellicent for example, if you had Shadow Ball and Giga Drain on it, you would have more reliability on the mon. Still thinking about reliable movesets, aside from Ampharos and Scrafty, your mons doesn't learn a wide variety of moves through lvl up, and you don't have access to most of the TMs and move tutors, think about it too. Using Archeops as example, it learns 5 moves with different types through lvl up and still have some good moves through breeding, move tutor and TMs.

Also, is your Scrafty from the event? Because Fire Punch is not a move that comes with lvl up. This, or it was bred xD

If you want to stick to this bulk mons, I can't help you much. I'd change Amonguss for Chesnaught and would fit Magcargo in the team, maybe in the place of Golem or Jellicent. Meowstic may come as support to set Trick Room for the team, but more changes would be needed in the team.

If you want to go with fast mons, Alolan Vulpix, Floatzel, Meowstic and Drapion are the best from the ones you said. Luxray is a good idea too, but its moveset is really poor, as most of electric mons (in my opinion) and it isn't that fast.

If you give us more of how you like to play, which mons you like most and which mons you have in your boxes, maybe more strategies can be created. Hope I helped. 

See ya~

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Trufa said:

I suggest you to use a Trick Room setter, so you can profit from these small speed stats on your team. As you have just beaten Noel, you have already access to the TM, it's in Chrysolia Forest, inside a cave to the east, where you can also get a Eevee (the location may have changed, but I don't know).

It's a reward for beating Radomus now.

@Tiz If you go back to the Railnet and explore it, you'll find a Key. Bring it back to the woman in Onyx Ward who can't get into her house, it will unlock the Move Relearner. She can teach your pokemon good moves, which costs a Heart Scale per move.

• Like 1

As Trufa said, Trick Room would work really good with your team. Bronzong learns it, and I've seen how oppressive it can be with Gyro Ball under Trick Room when it's holding an item that lowers it's speed (like a choice band) in the Factory/Short-Circuit field which you often fight Team Meteor in.

Also check out using ability capsules to change the abilities of your current roster, as a lot of them have really good abilities that you're not currently using. Hidden abilities can be used too, they're just like a pokemon's third potential ability in Reborn.

What's good about your main team is the resistances and immunities it has, you've picked a good typing spread in that regard. For pretty much every type... except Ground- these attacks hit three of your teammates super effectively and no-one resists them.

Lastly I suggest that you remove HM moves like Rock Smash and Strength off your main fighters, as half of these moves are very underwhelming. I use a dedicated HM slave pokemon for these moves as I think there's only one location up to episode 18 that requires you to bring a HM mon into some tough fights. Surf, Dive and Fly, found later on are really good though and will be fine on fighters.

Good luck with your playthrough! The game steps up the difficulty after a couple more gym leaders so you'll be in for a challenge that'll test your team andhow you play.

• Like 1

i will say Golem isnt the greatest rock type. i think by this point (or a short while later at least) you have access to Rhydon, who is better and you can (i think) have a Protector by this point to evolve it to Rhyperior for a far better rock/ground.

also +1 to ability capsules, Bronzong loves levitate/heatproof (given your common ground weakness i think levitate) Heavy Metal isnt a great abil 

• Like 1

Hello! I see you have gotten a lot of advice already but I wanted to add in some comments as well! I see alot of people commenting about your pokemon being on the slower side. I personally tend to have one or two tanks on my team and then run with fast hard hitting mons. That being said, I will say the most valuable Pokemon to my reborn team have been my slow tanks. I use Magnezone and Hippowdon and their utility in battle has been far more helpful than the speedy mons. I agree that Trick Room would be super helpful as for a while I had a Rhyperior and having that thing move first literally WRECKED the Fire Gym as well as the Flying Gym on the first try! 

All of that aside, I do think it would be valuable to have at least one speedy sweeper if possible. One that I personally adore, although it typically is better for single battles rather than doubles is Vivillon. Compound eyes plus Wide Lens means that its Sleep Powder almost never misses. It usually goes first as it is a fast pokemon. Then you can quiver dance a couple times, re-Sleep powder, Quiver Dance to Max Speed, Max Spc Attack, and Max Spc Defense, then it can single handedly sweep entire teams utilizing Hurricane which will also almost never miss. Plus if for some reason you dont OHKO with it, you have the chance to confuse the target.  For those other mons that are weaker to Bug Moves, Bug Buzz them into Oblivion. I think its typing could be useful as it will fulfill the lack of Flying and Bug Types on your team which both can be pretty good to have throughout Reborn!

At any rate, I wish you luck!