1 Protect 2: Beating Pokemon Reborn With Only 3 Pokemon (through Hardy)

Paperblade

You also get some bonus dialogue between Florinia and Fern for winning the Pyrous Mountain fight.

Anyway, I have a double update today, since I had the day off and... well, I won't spoil anything.

Part 12: When It Falls (through Amaria)

Spoiler

Victoria 5

Spoiler

JltKfQi.png

This fight is normally pretty easy, it's more or less just her earlier fights but with EV training and real movesets.

k7JzSiH.png8EFKJKK.png

Standard stuff. Screens are the best, etc. etc. Atlas goes down.

JJcvoEa.pngGyUQCZ3.pngJeXdv4B.png

So, looking back on this, if that first HJK had hit Prometheus would almost certainly be KO'd short of two close to min damage rolls. Since you can't leave the Devon Corp building until all three encounters are done, this means I can't go to the move relearner. If I had set up Prometheus movelist to be Protect/Bulk Up/High Jump Kick/Blaze Kick, I could just Protect the first HJK to mimic this effect (the crash damage is irrelevant, but I do need 1 Bulk Up to KO the rest of Victoria's team), and ditch Double Kick which I used to make a later fight in here easier but isn't actually necessary. Sloppy on my part, I didn't do any calcs for this place since the fights in here are normally pretty easy.

ZgAdRsR.pngseXHdIV.pngtMpSrAa.pngpv3qHi0.pngniuvDnv.png

Anyway, that's the rest of the fight.

DJ Arclight

Spoiler

Fx1rXiE.png
WqovFHs.pngazkUe5c.png

Misty Terrain means no electric boost from the factory field, then Reflect as Atlas goes down.

o6ENo7W.png9zrLDQf.pngyF2m9YO.png

Bulk Up twice here to guarantee the KO on Noivern:

+2 252+ Atk Black Belt Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 261-307 (107.8 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If I'd thought about the Victoria fight, I could afford to Bulk Up a third time here and also use the Wide Lens.

0pJfWCr.png0slXE6B.png8O6ltNN.pngocIFioi.png
eM2LJIp.pngIrzHf83.png

Wew.

571OSjH.png

I did say these fights were easy.

ZEL 2

Spoiler

uqDDzhY.png

It's kind of my thing.

HjTHp1U.png

In my experience, ZEL's most threatening pokemon is actually their Alakazam who is super fast. Magnezone is pretty slow and gets crushed by any good Fire or Fighting STAB, which even ignoring Blaziken is pretty abundant amongst good pokemons (I can think of like 30ish). Or use a Mold Breaker Excadrill.

FVAkkIs.pngNg9Zyq8.pngFAAdB1w.png

So, I brought Double Kick since this thing has a sash and Double Kick doesn't care about sashes. However, I could just have Atlas or Nyx pop it, get KO'd, then send out Prometheus to do this stuff.

XJNgfOE.pngkeh26jT.pngzRSPhCs.pngZ9KaQBK.pngd2QWILb.png

... That's not a Magnezone. Nobody say anything.

w3mQzpm.png

Ah well.

n2G04Wl.png

And that's Devon Corp.

Adrienn

Spoiler

RCJL3kE.png

Yeah, so, this is the hardest fight in the game for this run, for all the reasons I think this fight is among the more difficult in general. I don't have much to preface here, but get ready for some actual strategy.

Also, apologies if the images have weird borders, I ended up video recording this since it's easier than taking a screenshot every few seconds even on failed attempts, then just grabbing screenshots from the successful recording after the fact.

pwD6Cfc.png

Bop.

WmxmaJk.png

Nyx's movelist for this fight: Fly, Sucker Punch, Steel Wing, Tailwind

Tailwind removes the Misty Terrain, which is important because it gives us the much more beneficial Fairy Tale field. This field boosts the damage of Steel moves by 50%, and gives a subset of moves Steel typing and an additional 50% damage (for a total 2.25x multiplier). Among those moves is Slash, which fortunately Blaziken gets by levelup and can be relearned. Slash in this field is effectively a 157.5 BP move, which is insane since it's super effective vs. 5 of Adrienn's pokemon on top of that.

Additionally, the Magical Seed activation gives a turn of King's Shield and +1 Attack, which mitigates the Intimidate spam.

9qVdew8.png

Nyx takes no damage here.

MWtmxSU.pngQNGUMTE.pngk3FY0hq.png

Tailwind allows Nyx to outspeed and KO the Gardevoir, and gets an unnecessary Defense up. Nyx doesn't take another physical hit for the rest of this fight, and Reflect alone heavily mitigates it.

88dQXvZ.pngIoBDq4n.png

I have Atlas suicide by attempting to Psychic the Mawile. Nyx is at net +0 Attack, and Flies up to dodge incoming attacks.

CZYh0DN.pngJC2jf5O.png

Prometheus is also holding a seed, giving him +1 Attack and making him immune to all attacks. The AI will almost always go after him on turns Nyx starts in the semi-invulnerable turn of Fly, but this doesn't matter because the AI makes a baffling switch to Whimsicott (and it consistently does this, too), which lets it just instantly drop to Fly.

+1 252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 222-262 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

There's a reasonable chance to OHKO here, but even if it doesn't it's not the end of the world. Mawile consistently will run into Blaziken with a contact move and eat a -2 Attack drop from the Magical Seed's King's Shield.

joomZEi.pngTZqMfEu.pngMkeyYet.png

Both enemies go after Prometheus here, I possibly should have Protect'd but I wanted to get some damage in. He Dazzling Gleam'd instead, but that's alright.

VnHKaGd.pngoNIMHpY.png

Prometheus Protects, and the AI, again ignoring the semi-invulnerable Fly turn, attempts to Earthquake, doing nothing.

Nyx eats an Aura Sphere, which the AI strangely likes to do. This isn't strong enough to KO however.

252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Honchkrow: 112-132 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

u6GVjlc.pngqny3dWb.png

The AI is weirdly dedicated to keeping Granbull alive, and swaps her out a second time. Nyx gets a Steel Wing KO on Togekiss and the Florges almost is KO'd by Slash. At this point the fight is over short a Steel Wing miss, as both of Adrienn's Pokemon are KO'd and outsped by mine.

owQcJYZ.pngCEoUEXA.png

dinHSUr.png

Granbull drops to Slash, Steel Wing crits here but this doesn't matter, Florges's turn was used up by the Ultra Potion and another round of Slash + Steel Wing would easily KO.

tgNyJCg.png

And that's Adrienn. This fight took nearly 50 attempts, most of which were me flailing against the opening two pokemon + Mawile. I figured out the Tailwind+Steel Wing+Magical Seed tech early on, but Nyx just couldn't solo the fight. It took me a lot of failures before I went into the tank to try to find any move Prometheus could use that was SE, before I remembered the relatively niche change that Fairy Tale field does to Slash. And even with that, I had to manipulate the AI pretty hard with Protect/Fly invulnerability shenanigans since the Intimidate spam kept lowering my attack.

With that done...

Spoiler

KcfyOYt.png

Gimme gimme gimme gimme.

For those that don't know, if you do the sidequest in Lower Peridot that gets you an Onix, this guy will show up on clear days in Neo-Reborn after you have 14 badges, and gives you the choice item from the gang you didn't join, letting you get both the Specs and Band. I don't really care about Specs, but the Choice Band is a big game. If you missed the sidequest before going to Agate Circus you're out of luck though, at least until the last Department Sticker is available.

Taka 2

Spoiler

kPUuc3w.png

7XmRjCk.png

Klefki goes for a Thunder Wave here, which misses. This doesn't really matter since Prometheus has a Cheri Berry just in case. Regardless, he's switching out here.

jcR9gSZ.png

Klefki attempts to Thunder Wave again, but Nyx's Dark type makes the Prankster status move fail against her. 

Djkupb8.png

Which in turns allows for a free Sucker Punch KO. Thank you Choice Band.

TRttSZL.png

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Minior-Meteor: 219-258 (106.3 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

l8UOKHn.png

This attack crit, which makes the fight simpler but doesn't ultimately matter. Gliscor's only attacking move is U-turn, which doesn't do a ton of damage:

0+ Atk Gliscor U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Honchkrow: 77-91 (29 - 34.3%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO

0TDijzo.pngRewiIkm.png0BlpUdW.png

Now, if Nyx hadn't crit the Gliscor, she'd have been KO'd before finishing off Exeggutor here. However, Taka's team at this point on a non-crit is:

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gliscor: 180-213 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Gliscor that gets finished off by Blaze Kick: 252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gliscor: 99-117 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Komala: 252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Komala: 516-608 (200 - 235.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chatot: 252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chatot: 321-378 (131 - 154.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Which means I just have Prometheus Protect once while Exeggutor gets chipped down by its Sand Tomb damage then finish him.

y4fBJ2y.pngtlwiPHk.png

But that's not how reality went. We take those.

psSK4dB.png

Taka put up a good fight tbh, it took me a few tries to maneuver around his Klefki properly.

Reshiram

Spoiler

n4ABy2j.png

+1 4 SpA Turboblaze Reshiram Blue Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Honchkrow through Light Screen: 240-283 (86.6 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Well, no Perish Song here, since that doesn't even factor in field boosts.

Light Screen -> Perish Song (3) -> Protect (2) -> Take a hit (1) -> Protect (0) plan is a fail, since Nyx is OHKO'd through Light Screen.

40RX9Th.png

That's okay, though.

gyeiNWT.png

+1 4 SpA Turboblaze Reshiram Dragon Pulse vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Blaziken through Light Screen: 250-294 (88 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

170BP STAB is scary, good thing I have buyable EV down berries to put more into HP. I think I actually did this for Adrienn, since with Protect it's a lot easier to get to a Speed where Prometheus is just faster than everything.

ReF8ACh.png

Now we're faster.

oPioUYk.png
The spirit is indomitable.

Titania

Spoiler

FDXVxJC.png

Facepalm.

Vlshr3H.png

No veil for you. Atlas then gets KO'd by Knock Off, which is whatever. He did his job.

252+ Atk Sandslash-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowstic-M: 224-264 (94.1 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

DJ0R7GY.pngqT87Ygn.png

Magical Seed is good, praise Magical Seed.

9UOJj4p.pngAepVCsj.png

Two down.

L3Gsj44.pngcUdCQUh.png

Three.

kirM1j4.pngwytKDF4.png

Neutralize Excadrill's own Magical Seed immunity turn, then KO him.

Ial4vqk.png

Same. Fortunately, he doesn't go for a Swords Dance here.

ljmXcD4.pngWNvy37H.png

Because otherwise I couldn't do this.

Now to finish off Titania's last--

idjFBGQ.png

Fine, we'll do it this way.

1IqLiVr.pngszuqWxo.png

Get out of here.

MFx1dnz.png

This was my first attempt. Things didn't even go particularly well.

Amaria

Spoiler

YqCtQ2v.png

When I first started this run, a friend told me they had no idea how I'd beat Amaria, which is a similar sentiment I've seen in this thread.

Generally, I find that Amaria struggles against something that can abuse the Elemental Seed on this field, as the buffed Aqua Ring + SpDef boost makes it difficult for most of her pokemon to do much, and makes setting up pretty easy. 

I1XhBGa.pngTOkns8E.pngKZohO5P.png

Set up defenses, as usual. I'm not sure what order Amaria will send stuff out in, but this is just to try to minimize possible incoming damage in case Nyx needs to take a hit at some point.

R7oHaKk.png

Yes, I bought Rare Candies to put her at level cap.

252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 384-452 (171.4 - 201.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

CY89056.png

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 255-301 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

This is the only RNG in the fight, since if this doesn't KO, Kingdra suicides with Life Orb recoil and Nyx misses a Moxie boost.

iA6MvPV.png

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 441-519 (140.4 - 165.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

u9OpZMd.png

+3 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 379-447 (108.9 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And I need that boost for this KO.

eVVVXxC.png

+4 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Wishiwashi-School: 399-469 (158.9 - 186.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

XOpqcG9.png

+5 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lapras: 654-769 (154.6 - 181.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

afSrVEF.png

And that's badge number sixteen.

Next time: the Glass Workstation, Solaris 2, and Hardy.

• Veterans

Right, I forgot it's fucking Honchkrow we're dealing with here. Good shit chief.

Bit saddened you didn't have a go at Doubles Amaria, but given your roster that gets wiped out by a single double boosted surf, I don't blame you.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 13: The Triumph

Spoiler

Glass Workstation Gauntlet

Spoiler

FkZryEN.png

I'm a silent protagonist in an RPG, my whole thing is that I walk around with a blank stare saying nothing, then beat people up and take their money. I don't care about your moral conundrums.

Shelly & Cain

Spoiler

diXKJOG.png

This fight generally depends on if you have a fast pokemon that slaughters bugs or not--every time I've done this fight I took out Shelly first while Cain flailed around doing kind of nothing. Cain's team is pretty bad for this point in the game and he has some big brain EV spreads that make Aster & Eclipse jealous.

oy3mnXg.pngNrUez54.png6XtW1pe.png

Pop sash and KO. Atlas gets KO'd back but that's okay.

s8YrdkQ.pnggnpC495.pngh7viQ4v.png

Protect because Volcarona is still faster than +1 Blaziken and Hurricane KOs. 'Wak has no chance vs. Banded Sucker

Z0zM16n.pngxKKNP4J.pnga4ANzXC.png

This is pretty unfortunate since HJK has a 50% chance to KO here:

252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Muk-Alola: 294-346 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

With it not KOing, Nyx has to either:

A. Dodge Mimikyu's Thunder

B. Dodge this Gunk Shot and not get high roll'd on Mimikyu's Thunder damage (which is about a 68% KO)

I could have used the Black Belt to guarantee the KO, but Blaziken makes so many attacks that having Wide Lens here and in the next 2 fights increases reliability overall.

1PCaAFW.png3jNKBZ7.png

These two die.

dZRppS0.pngTj4zddr.pngGSeWGMC.png

As you can probably predict, Mimikyu misses the Thunder here. The fight is pretty easy from here on out.

mn72t8J.pngizEVVH8.png

Dead.

wZmEuUV.pngv1UBbNh.png

I'm not sure who Meowstic was attacking here. It might also only attack over setting up Reflect because Nyx is near KO'd, I'm not entirely sure on the AI logic here. Blaziken can't OHKO it either without something that boosts Blaze Kick's damage--including Firium-Z, although I haven't bothered to get the Mega-Z Ring. If it did end up proving an issue I'd just have to learn how the AI works and adjust for it.

hPeJGTT.pngipgxqZU.png

+4 252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 332-391 (121.1 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Clean.

Sg2X2Hd.pngMWfHGM2.pngDlSI8q6.png

I actually forgot to give Nyx a third PP Up, so she ran out of Sucker Punch uses here. That's fine since you get PP back after this fight, unlike between the second and third fights in the gauntlet.

ssq5zYV.png

This was the hardest fight in the gauntlet, and that's pretty much just because Cain has 2 pokemon that don't get one shot by Sucker Punch.

??? ????? (Luna)

Spoiler

This fight in a vacuum is pretty easy since your team should be equal levels at minimum, and if you do a ton of sidequests you'll probably be a bit higher. Most fights at this point have you facing enemies that are equal level to you if you're at level cap, if not just higher. This means your stats are a lot closer and it's easier to run over. However, this fight isn't just about beating it, but because A) any PP used in this fight is still gone in the next fight and B) any Pokemon fainted is still fainted for the next fight, this fight is basically Part 1 of a 2 part attrition battle.

Personally I think Umbreon is an awkward ace for this sort of encounter, since it's incredibly passive and if you're playing with items you can just Revive the KO'd while Umbreon sits there hoping to grab a KO with Foul Play.

Tzv5zEy.png

Pop the sash.

GCFo7ZX.png

252 Atk Weavile Night Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Meowstic-M through Reflect: 120-142 (48.1 - 57%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

YFjzNyd.png

Hard switch.

vlcftis.png

252 Atk Weavile Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Blaziken through Reflect: 51-60 (17.1 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

It's kind of interesting that the AI goes for Low Kick here when Poison Jab is strictly better--it hits my switchins for the same or more damage and has a chance to poison. And since I'm setting up 4 Bulk Ups here to OHKO Gothitelle, that would add up to a pretty good chance of poison (nearly 75%).

For reference:

+4 252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gothitelle: 327-385 (113.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

fwiw if I had set up EXP so that Prometheus was level 90 for this fight, he basically only needs +3 to OHKO Goth:

+3 252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gothitelle: 285-336 (99.3 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

7iF4WKX.pngsy3VBNz.png58JtPMi.pngIplRyP1.pngvRbccLu.png

But there was no Poison Jab, and the future refused to change. Also I apparently forgot to get a screenshot of Honchkrow being KO'd. Based on EXP it was likely sent out after Weavile.

dRguubk.png

And now one more.

??? ????? and ??? ????? (Serra and Radomus)

Spoiler

cf5od3V.png

There's a few ways this fight can be hard, and they pretty much all boil down to not having a good answer to a threat they put out (good one Captain Obvious)--Aurora Veil, Radomus' fast Psychics (Gard/Zam/Espeon), Clefable living and spreading Thunder Wave onto your big damage, Bronzong Gyro Ball hurts way more than it has any right to. However, these pokemon are all lower level than yours will be at this point and the leads have pretty bad IVs, so even strong neutral attacks can KO otherwise fat mons like Clefable.

Zz7r5Xl.pngxjRTl6D.pngiLaC2eM.png

Sunny Day is great here, as it not only stops Aurora Veil, but boosts Blaze Kick so that Clefable gets cleanly OHKO'd:

252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable in Sun: 306-361 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Clefable's 10IVs show up big here, since the chance of getting a KO on one with perfects is almost 0:

252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable in Sun: 271-321 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Clefable is also the bulkiest pokemon in this fight against Fire moves, so Sun-boosted Blaze Kick will KO anything in this fight.

of92o0x.png8bLrRRn.pngXbz1tuV.png

Radomus sends out Gardevoir, who is still faster than a +1 Prometheus. I don't really need Atlas around anymore so any attacks on him are fine. Predictably, Gard goes for a Psychic on Blaziken which is blocked.

aDAwCWZ.pngpTjT4uk.png

Serra hard switches to Froslass as Gard is KO'd thanks to Sun boosted Blaze Kick.

CdEI5G0.pngXrFHSC2.png

Bisharp attempts to Sucker Punch Atlas, but Atlas's movepool is: Fake Out, Reflect, Light Screen, Sunny Day. I actually want Atlas to be KO'd here for a free switch into Nyx, unfortunately.

f6W7zu6.pngJucHnWk.pnguH9nXrB.png

Espeon drops, making this the 4th pokemon Radomus has lost.

AMnOrl2.png4KT4dsw.png

252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Metagross: 296-350 (104.5 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Froslass has a single non-attacking move so this is the big brain optimal play.

y0nNegi.pngKiKRq2k.png

This is Radomus's last pokemon, and 'Zam likes to set up Psychic Terrain on his first turn out. This is bad since it shuts Nyx off entirely, whereas Aurora Veil does p much nothing when my birds can just gang up on Serra every turn. So I choose to get rid of Zam while Nyx's Sucker Punch fails.

vFiE5sX.pngIUZzK9G.pngG80sbCZ.png

So we KO these two.

EYixFsh.png

Nyx OHKOs with Sucker, so I had Prometheus Bulk Up here.

RSfA5M9.pngxLyOLwV.pngDQNGvYF.png

I Sucker'd this twice since it can't really do anything and it ended up missing the Rock Slide on Prometheus. At +3 he easily will OHKO Bronzong through Aurora Veil.

T94rN4Q.pngHzWjIhS.png

And that's that Glass Workstation. Overall this is probably like the 5th most difficult encounter? Honestly Cain 5 at Vanhanen Castle might have been more difficult, only the opening for the two double battles was tricky, and Luna got one shot.

Solaris 2

Spoiler

gwPKLhE.png

So, there are three fights in the game where after losing to them about 25-30 times, I started to wonder if this fight was going to be the wall I couldn't get past. In each case, I was having trouble just getting past the first half of the fight without losing my whole team, knowing there were still threats in the back that would require my team to be strong to finish off. Those fights were Fern&Blake, Adrienn, and this one.

This fight made me go back and do the entire Route 1 sidequest to get access to the Custap Berry, which let me get the Leftovers. The Route 1 sidequest is my least favorite part of the game and I put it off as much as possible so that I can just OHKO through it with level 70+ pokemon, sort of like I did this time.

But for this fight, I am using Leftovers Blaziken.

+4 252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Garchomp-Mega: 408-481 (104.3 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 357-420 (119.7 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are benchmarks I need to hit. Prometheus's movelist is Protect/Bulk Up/High Jump Kick/Double Kick. I replaced Blaze Kick with Double Kick to OHKO Excadrill through its sash. With this strat, the only concern are enemy crits or HJK misses, so the usual.

XvZGbLJ.pngRDtfymi.png

Staraptor always U-Turns here out to Tyranitar, which formed the basis of the Leftovers strat.

7 turns of Reflect left.

Pf8gazn.png

Atlas can Sunny Day here, which removes Sandstorm chip damage.

6 turns of Reflect left.

a5hCH5c.png

And so the setup begins.

5 turns of Reflect left.

s0Zs8Qe.pngxo86gyD.png

Tyranitar spams Earthquake trying to KO, but between Reflect, Protect, Bulk Up, and Leftovers we take those pretty well.

4 then 3 turns of Reflect left.

qQEqaN1.pngb1hokbj.png

1 turn of Reflect left, and we're at +3.

mWudh4z.pngN6TEaJH.png

Double Kick has the bonus of being 100% accurate, so using it over HJK is preferable when both KO.

Reflect is also gone.

l87vC01.pngHxMqoKc.png

Staraptor Intimidate sets us back to +2, but it has Brave Bird so we need to get rid of it ASAP.

7GTqrnB.pngciUOigt.pngYDC4Q4A.png

I honestly have no clue why the AI sends out Scizor here. Gyarados can't KO us anymore because Prometheus has over 300 Defense, but it's still better than Scizor who is just setup fodder at this Fpoint.

For reference: 252 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. +3 228 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO

Anyway, this Bulk Up puts us at +3/+4.

252+ Atk Life Orb Scizor Superpower vs. +4 228 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 86-101 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

tHyMsSR.pngNF6cATN.png

I go for another Bulk Up since Scizor nerfed its own damage output, which puts me at the +4 threshold to OHKO everything else. Solaris hardswitches to Gyarados but it's too late.

BjXpuHq.pngGWbwtH1.png

You're dead.

OI5NYGj.pngf32S5GE.png

You're dead.

E9eFYQF.pngL85ZL5D.png
You're dead.

AoWWvzt.pnglEAgE9k.png

And you're dead.

Also an HJK miss still kills me here, so all those extra Protects were pointless.

BXXwaPO.png

Bam. Overall this took me 37 attempts. 36 of those were without Leftovers. Yeah.

Hardy

Spoiler

jfPnSnh.png

Hold on, I have a better intro to this fight

eQOQ8QL.jpg

There we go, much better.

There's 3 kinds of teams for this fight:

1. Specific counter teams that roll over it because that's what counter teams do.

2. Teams that are good against it but need to not get flinched by rock slides or whatever

3. Teams that are actively bad against it and need to pull out some big brain strats

We're 2.

This fight is pretty straightforward, the only tricky part was setting up Mega-Aerodactyl to be killed since none of my mons can KO it without help.

MMl7aKN.pngOqGNT3X.png

I beat this fight less than an hour after I beat Solaris, including time to clear out the gym and form a strategy.

Despite that, it took me 23 attempts, because most of my resets were on turn 1 due to one of:

A. Maero's Rock Slide flinches one of my pokemon

B. Maero's Rock Slide crits one of my pokemon

C. Prometheus fails to OHKO Gigalith with HJK

252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gigalith: 314-372 (93.1 - 110.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

The Psychic Gem here is important, since it allows for a secure KO on Maero:

252 SpA Psychic Gem Meowstic-M Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega in Sand: 87-103 (31.2 - 37%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 178-210 (64 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I could have used Psychium-Z for the guarantee but that requires the Starter Egg Sidequest to be done, which also requires 300 pokemon caught to get Froakie

U39mIny.pngjD0OQlw.png

Yeah, not happening. Maybe if I get bored.

02q72jl.pngZd45SJn.png

Anyway, Atlas turns off the sand so that Prometheus doesn't go down to chip damage. This is perfect because now Hardy has an odd number of pokemon left, meaning his Lycanroc-Dusk will be alone at the end. This is important since it has a priority move, so I need to be in a 2v1 situation to beat it.

4MFtRVf.pngzlhj8zW.png

Dead.

252+ Atk Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Archeops: 274-324 (103.3 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

DzW3Lsx.pngtRmbIqh.png

Dead.

0A6erVB.pngaSxiw4L.png

This is the only other point this fight can go wrong, since the Telluric Seed gives Lycandusk +1 Evasion, and a miss kills me.

LD3uYXW.png1OvX3mo.png 

Honestly, the most surprising part about this fight to me was that Prometheus OHKO'd Gigalith. I've had a lot of runs that were complicated by "Hey this STAB super effective move doesn't OHKO the giant rock monster, so now he will KO both of your pokemons out with his Banded field boosted STAB Rock Slides"

But hey, that's Blaziken. Anyway, thanks to everyone for reading. I will most likely continue this run whenever E19 Public comes out, although it probably won't be until I take a lot of my other files through it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Paperblade said:

Cain's team is pretty bad for this point in the game and he has some big brain EV spreads that make Aster & Eclipse jealous

Im curious about these ev spreads lol

Where did you see them? (Both cain and meteor's)

Btw great job doing this LOL i thought gauntlet would be hell for ya 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:32 AM, Yahen said:

Im curious about these ev spreads lol

Where did you see them? (Both cain and meteor's)

Btw great job doing this LOL i thought gauntlet would be hell for ya 

They're in the PBS file which is publicly available through the FAQ. That comes with a bunch of .txt files, the one you're looking for is called trainer.txt

These files have all the data on trainers and their pokemon. The EVs are listed at the end of each pokemon's line, with the important note that it's HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense. Essentials always puts Speed 4th since that's just how they coded it. If there isn't an EV spread at the end, as is the case for a lot of random trainers, all of that pokemon's EVs are its Level * 1.5, up to a max of 85 (85 into each stat is 85*6, which is 510).

On how to read the whole thing

Spoiler

So for example, Cain in the Glass Workstation Gauntlet looks like this:

Cain
Cain,6
MAROWAK,82,THICKCLUB,FIREPUNCH,ROCKSLIDE,SHADOWBONE,IRONHEAD,1,M,1,false,ADAMANT,15,70,,false,,,252,252,4,0,0,0
MEOWSTIC,81,DAMPROCK,CHARGEBEAM,PSYCHIC,REFLECT,RAINDANCE,2,F,1,true,TIMID,20,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
PRIMARINA,82,MYSTICWATER,DAZZLINGGLEAM,HYPERVOICE,BLIZZARD,ICYWIND,1,M,0,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,,128,0,0,128,252,0
MIMIKYU,81,ELECTRICGEM,THUNDER,PLAYROUGH,SWORDSDANCE,SHADOWCLAW,0,F,0,false,LONELY,31,70,,false,,,128,0,0,128,252,0
MUK,81,BLACKSLUDGE,GUNKSHOT,THUNDER,KNOCKOFF,ROCKSLIDE,2,M,1,false,BRAVE,10,70,,false,,,252,252,4,0,0,0
NIDOKING,83,LIFEORB,EARTHPOWER,BLIZZARD,THUNDER,FLAMETHROWER,2,M,0,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0

The top two lines are trainer class (which is unique for Cain) and then trainer name. The number after is used to help the game know which fight to load when you fight the same trainer multiple times (important for rivals and such).

The third line indicates the number of pokemon that trainer has, and is also used for any potions or the like they might have. Cain doesn't have any in this fight, though.

Then all the rest of the lines are their pokemon. Everything from the name to the moves should be self explanatory, with one caveat: If there are no moves listed, the pokemon instead has its 4 most recent level up moves like a wild pokemon of its level would have.

The number after that ranges from 0 to 2, and determines the ability. Which ability it refers to depends on the order they're put in in the pokemon.txt file which also comes with the PBS. 2 is always the hidden ability because of this. If this is left blank, the ability is random. 

Next is gender. Like ability, if it's left blank, it's random. Before E17, all genders for boss pokemon were random, but Ame actually went in and made them standardized at some point.

The next one determines the form. This is Lycanroc forms, Wormadam forms, Aegislash forms, Alolan variants, the works. 0 means the base form which means all the data is in the pokemon.txt file. For anything else, there's a special multipleforms script that is only readable if you open the game up in rpgmaker. This is only relevant since if you want to find which ability is being used for a pokemon with multiple forms (such as Rock Head vs. Lightningrod on that Marowak), you need to either have rpgmaker on hand or test it manually.

The bit that says false refers to whether or not the pokemon is shiny, and the one after that is obviously the nature. If nature is left blank, it's randomized.

After that is the IVs--NPC trainer pokemons all have the same IVs across the board. If this is blank, that value is set to 10. The number after IVs is the happiness value, which defaults to 70.

The two bits of data between happiness and EVs aren't really important--the first is whether something is a shadow pokemon, which is always false in Reborn. Then the second is what type of ball the pokemon is in, purely aesthetic.

• Like 1