Help me choose my starter!

jjm239

Starter Selection  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these shall I pick?

• Akio (male)
    • Isamu (male)
    • Rhode Island Red (or Rhode Red, if it won't fit; male)
    • Default (no nickname)
    • Other (add what nickname you'd like to see)
    • Chicky (female)
    • Xena (female)
    • Akane (female)

Okay so I just downloaded Reborn, and I have saved it at the Pokemon Selection tables. 15 Pokemon to choose from can make things difficult, and since I don't know which I can get while in-game, I throw it up to you guys. Help me choose.

If you choose any of the Other categories, tell me which of the others I should take. I'm taking this seriously, as it is Pokemon, and a very hard version of Pokemon at that.

EDIT: Alright, so it looks like people are saying Chimchar and Torchic, so I'm editing the poll to choose between those two and Charmander...

EDIT 2: Well it looks like Torchic is the winner by 3 votes, with Charmander at second place. Now for names... I'll have six up, please vote for one male and one female. Also, I'll be going in and out to get the best stats, and maybe he'll/she'll be shiny; who knows.

Edited by jjm239

Water is probably the hardest to start with, fire probably the easiest, and grass is just decent. I'll also say that you will probably be disappointed if you use your starter selection on Bulbasaur.

I personally went with Chimchar, and it has treated me well. I also hear people say that Torchic is pretty OP as well. Really, though, it just comes down to whichever is your favorite-- you will eventually be able to fill in your team to counter the weaknesses of your starter. I suggest looking at the list of obtainable Pokemon to see what would make a good fit with your starter choice.

Edited by Desper

Well a lot of those obtainables are dispersed throughout the game. The starter is where you take your first steps and form that bond.

And what the hell is wrong with Bulbasaur?

Chimchar, Torchic, and Charmander are pretty powerful in the beginning on the game and can carry you throughout the rest of episode 8. In the case that you don't want a fire type starter, there's always a Magby, Vulpix, and Growlithe you can get pretty early.

I would say fire, it really helps in the game but there are a couple of decent fire types you can pick up along the way and you can also get a water type early on but its useless at lower levels (Magikarp) so if you want balance then you should probably go for Snivy or another grass type.

You can obtain Bulba, Mudkip, and Tepig later.

Like others have said, the Fire/Fighting types are very powerful. Charmeleon learns Dragon Rage early which can carry you for a while.

Ever tried Torterra? Learns Earthquake very early and has base 109 ATK which is pretty great.

I picked Cynaquil as my starter and it has done a good job for me so far. I would like to point out that Fire starters are pretty much nerfed about a 1/2 week, every week because it rains and doesn't stop unless you move inside (Sadly, it'll start again when you exit the building you're in.). You have no way to counteract this until you can pick up a drought Vulpix so just be careful. Fire is useful though as it allows up to carve up Fern which is always a plus in my book. (If you don't know who he is, You'll see I promise.)

I usually never get attached to starter pokemon but from personal experience Turtwig is highly recomended. This game requires you to use a variety of tactics as OU/more traditionally powerful Pokemon are rare and Curse Turtwig -> Torterra forms so many underated combinations with some of the Pokemon available such as Glare+Screech shed skin Arbok, anything with toxic spikes and more. I have probably rebuilt my team more then 10 times throughout this game and my only staple is Torterra, even through the Ice gym leader (despite the level cap, tort will outspeed and OHKO everything it needs to).
Not to mention dream world abilities are available so Torterra is the most unhaxable curse booster (still be wary of freeze and paralysis though) that ever existed.
Speed Boost Blaziken and Iron Fist Infernape are pretty OP but level caps will catch up to you fast and there are so many Fire types available that may not be as straight up powerful but provide some form of utility such as Drought Ninetales and Intimidate Arcanine.

I went with Cyndaquil, just because I wanted to have a fire type, but still make the game relatively challenging. I would say Typhlosion's biggest down side is his movepool. You are going to want a special nature, but I find myself limited at times with its normal/fire coverage. Typhlosion is one of the pokemon who suffers from the lack of TMs in this game... Don't get me wrong, Typholsion is still easy enough to win with, and fire is by far the easiest type to start with. As for Snivy and Bulbasaur, I feel like Snivy will be less useful against Fern's Snivy, and Bulbasaur is available relatively soon in the game. While Ame has said all the starters will be available eventually, it really does come down to which one you like.

I'm just gonna say, I used Bulbasaur because between Chlorophyll and Leech Seed/Sleep Powder, I found it incredibly useful in the story BEFORE it became obtainable. That being said, I haven't really heard great things bout Snivy (pretty much all of my friends regret picking him), and Cyndaquill is a pretty ok fire starter, with Infernape/Speed Boost Blaziken being the best, imo.

So are people telling me to grab Torchic or Chimchar? I'm just trying to gauge the popular opinion.

Most popular you're looking at Chimchar, Torchic and Charmander, and then some people have also highly recommended Turtwig. Although I don't think Turtwig would be as useful for the second gym, still seems like a solid choice.

I personally choose Totodile, and I can tell you... it's pretty hard to go over the first 2 gyms if you don't have proper coverage (like grass or fire types), but it's still pretty fun to start with a water starter... And looks like "everyone and their grandmother" told you to get a Fire/Fighting pokémon, but it's ok if you like c:

I got Cyndaquill and what I can tell is that he gave the game a good since of balance. He doesn't counter too much at the beginning but you can still rely on him if your in trouble. Plus if you get his dream ability he becomes extremely usefull in double battles if you got someone with lava plume and is a solid choice if you're planing to build a fire team. But it in the end it's what you want, so pick whatever floats your boat.

Does Snivy get contrary on this because I think contrary with leaf storm would be good. Speed boost blaziken is always good. Btw. do anyone know what pokemon Victoria chooses If you go with tepig what she usually chooses(at least as far as I know)?

Does Snivy get contrary on this because I think contrary with leaf storm would be good. Speed boost blaziken is always good. Btw. do anyone know what pokemon Victoria chooses If you go with tepig what she usually chooses(at least as far as I know)?

She still choses Tepig, and yes, every pokemon has the same chance to get it's normal ability and DW ability.

The fire type starters are generally OP anyway. It really depends on whether or not you want that extra challenge. If you really want to take the path of least resistance, then I suggest you should pick a fire type starter instead.

It's not so much about least resistance, but since this is my first playthrough, I would like the easier type introduction. Plus I've never used any of the new Fire types.

I chose a snivy as my starter and have quite a challenge on the first few gyms. I like the bulkyness of my serperior I used in pokemon black so I chose it again for reborn.

I kind of got bored of playing Pokemon Blaze Black 2 (a decent, but difficult, hack of Black 2), so Snivy has a bit of a bitter taste.

Sorry for the double-post, readers! As of August 1, I'll end the poll and make a decision.