Tinkering with in-game sprites for personal use.

RazeArmada

So yeah, im assuming everyone knows that its possible to tinker with the in-game sprites in the game. esp with the character sprites. so like i tried to mess with the sprites for the sake of self-immersing my own character design to the game or at least something on a personal level. it would be nice to see if anyone had their way with the in-game sprites. although i hope Ame doesnt get mad because i was just curious to see if i can mess around with the sprite files. (- , -"...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanna mod the graphics for your own playthrough, awesome. If others want to use it, double awesome.

She said this in regards to my edit of the male sprite, but she said it's cool.

As for spritework, I scarcely find the motivation for spritework. You'd be on your own here.

• Administrators

I haven't seen Ame get mad at any other given person for a looooong time, much less over something like this; nothing to worry about. :P

Here's the one I'm currently working on.

A couple years ago I used to be really into spriting. There's still a lot of work to be done, but I like what I've come up with so far.

Is there anything special you have to do to to tinker with the sprite code? Or do you just delete the old sprite file, and replace it with the same name?

post-40459-0-73016500-1373908298_thumb.png

Raze: Your sprite has a whole bunch of jaggies and thick lines. You should try to have the pixels on an even length.

Someone was helpful enough to create a guide on the basics of pixelling, so you should give that a look.
http://mossmouth.tumblr.com/post/42652506486/pixel-art-tutorial

Hyzen: Those look great so far! Just cel-shade the arms and you'd be good to go!

And you just replace the sprites' files. Nothing to it.

Joyrich: Have you been using MSPaint to make these? RPG Maker doesn't handle non-transparent backgrounds well, and MSPaint is incapable of that. Try Paint.NET or GIMP to make the background transparent.

Edited by RisingManes

Guest 7highstraight

I remember with roms you were limited with the number of different colors you could have on a single sprite, is that an issue with RPG Maker?

• Administrators

In order to use the sprites, it has to be properly ordered and spaced. You can see the included files in the game to see what I mean by that.

RPG Maker XP and later can use full 24-bit colored images.

Here's a tutorial I wrote a couple years ago on helping with sprite transparency:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=515

I don't think there is an actual limit, but the style uses 24-bit. Just be careful not to anti-alias outside the sprite, unless you want a halo around your character.

Has anyone done a stress test for the sprites to see how many colors you can cram in?

Edited by RisingManes

• Administrators

Essentially, RMXP reads it as such:

The height and width of the image are divided by 4 each, and that value becomes the dimension of the sprite. As such, it reads each of the 16 parts of the sprite sheet as a separate frame

Top row is down-facing, second is left, third is right, fourth is down.

The actual image can be any size as long as it's divisible by four.

Further, to fit with the 8bit style the size of these sprites is doubled, giving it a pixelated look. So the best way to make edits is shrink the image to 50%, edit, then enlarge it to 200%.

(For that reason, if I wanted, I could drop the 3rd-gen-esque style and actually re-do all of Reborn in a much more graphically smooth style, but it's hardly worth the effort compared to actually finishing the game >>)

to be honest i wasnt really satisfied with what ive done. it was just a trial to see if it works fine. it did so thats good. but im planning on making it better.

@RisingManes the tutorial is good. thanks for the link. i needed that. im not really good with pixelation so i hope i can make do better next time.

Edited by RazeArmada

I kind of doing something like this, but with the male B/W sprite. There are no drastic changes because I like the stance and the clothes, just didn't like the color and the backpack... but I'm not sure if I will ever use it... (Also, I don't even know how to remove the white background :l)

Damn I'm a noob at this....

nzls38.jpg

Here's the one I'm currently working on.

A couple years ago I used to be really into spriting. There's still a lot of work to be done, but I like what I've come up with so far.

Is there anything special you have to do to to tinker with the sprite code? Or do you just delete the old sprite file, and replace it with the same name?

THAT IS... BADASS. Make a male one plawx.

In order to use the sprites, it has to be properly ordered and spaced. You can see the included files in the game to see what I mean by that.

RPG Maker XP and later can use full 24-bit colored images.

Here's a tutorial I wrote a couple years ago on helping with sprite transparency:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=515

Why thank you Ame, that tutorial helped me to get rid of the white background :D

Just a question, Do you have another tutorial continuing that and the previous one? Or those 2 are the only ones...?