3 tips for over leveling and gym leaders

Shadow-God

due to reborns strict setup it is very possible to make the game impossible by the second gym. so for all you noobs heres a list for help

1)widen your team as much as possible.

unlike traditional games where you can envision a team and use them as you see fit, reborn is not tailored for a dream team and a situation will come when the members of your team won't be able to deal with the challenges so make sure you broden your horizen and if it moves throw a pokeball at it because you might need it later.

2)use everyone

due to reborn really screwing up on the level system (which is traditionally made to keep you from trading over mary suemons but in this game it's used to nerf you down to the gym leaders level) over leveling has become a problem I recommend you broaden your team, and if a Pokemon becomes to close to the level limit then put them in the computer, I recommend doing this one level before the limit so it doesn't level up during a battle and screw you over. "but how will I function without my strongest/favorite" USE SOMEONE ELSE!!

3)catch em all

I got stuck at serra and the thing that saved my team was a level 16 numel I took with me just because I could, so never ever turn down a Pokemon because it could come in useful somewhere.

• Administrators

These are good tips for now. Next episode the over-levelling concern will be alleviated with the introduction of Common Candy, so that should help, too.

Go find some wild Pokemon and grind like you never grinded before..
It's not that bad really..I've managed to raise plenty of reserve Pokemon at this point..but I believe dream teams can usually win it, you just need strategy...that's kind of how the Reborn League works doesn't it? You only get one team

You didn't address a crucial issue: what to do when the opposite problem occurs. What happens when the ideal Pokémon for a gym is entirely too low-leveled and you have no trainers left?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WURdtvHXFjA

R. Kelly is right, RisingManes. There's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

Sorry, it's like 1:30 AM

• Administrators

I agree; these are pretty good tips. More or less what I've been doing too. I have a box with around 9ish Pokemon that I can bring out at any point (granted they need a little catching up at this point) and five boxes of random things I run into that I don't have yet. If you train six Pokemon evenly it's really hard to break the level cap, and if you have MORE than that, it's even harder. My suggestion is to basically always have six wherever possible; in the beginning of the game at the end of like episode three this was my "team":

GroupShot.png

Bunch of things that don't really matter but were still there to be useful- Noctowl and Masquerain resist Grass (Masquerain doubly so!) for the notorious Florinia and Loudred + Noctowl were surprisingly useful with the 90 base power STAB Uproar, not to mention Noctowl's Hypnosis. I think the best thing to keep in mind for this game is that you should never expect to steamroll it with full force and it will almost always require a hint of strategy. Typically for Shelly and Shade I would use Noctowl to Hypnosis big threats (i.e. Yanmega and Chandelure) and switch immediately to Gigalith to dunk them hard.

Admittedly, Ariados is terrible and it didn't really do much ever, but it's one of my favorites so I had to try. Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak were nice against Shade at least.

So I've been playing the game for some time (and I mean like three days) and i have found some good methods on getting pass some tough trainers.

Lets start with Florina. So at this early in the game she throws a Cradily at you and you were like me and didn't pick up a fighting type starter (like trorchick to combuskin), she will most likely stall your entire team so what do you do? Well go buy that king Carp for $4000 and evolve it and level it up to LV23. When it learns dragon rage, you can easily get through Florina and her Cradily. Also Gardevoir is very usefull. Hang on to double team until it learns calm mind and magical leaf. Set up a few double teams and then about 4 calm minds and sweep away your oppisition. Lastly having taunt is good as it will stop foes going for priority moves.Tranquil can learn this along with a few other pokemon early in game. These are just a few strategys I used and never had to worry about over leveling. Also if your out of trainers just suicide grind off the gym leader. Spend as much money as you can ( I bought many potions before I fought Florina)and faint as many of the leader's pokemon as possible. If you need to level up a low leveled pokemon just swap it out with another high leveled pokemon. If your going for a nuzlock then this doesn't apply to you.

Edited by Money_Man115

• 6 months later...

I haven't found over leveling making the game impossible for me yet even though im only at florina im about to smash my comp because of the worst thing Cradily could've ever been given....recover ive spent about 4 hours restarting every time trying to get it down ill get it to 1 hp and it uses recover and i rage because my makuhita has no pp left and its just so frustrating i just want to falcon punch my screen right now.

Try using toxic spikes. Trubbish learns it naturally at an early level. That's how I beat Cradily anyways.

I'm going to try and put it to sleep and switch to makuhita hopefully that will work I caught a shiny oddish leveled it up it learn sleep powder so hopefully it will work out in my advantage

I'm going to try and put it to sleep and switch to makuhita hopefully that will work I caught a shiny oddish leveled it up it learn sleep powder so hopefully it will work out in my advantage

As of Gen VI, powder moves doesn't work against Grass types... i'm pretty sure Ame already updated it, so you're going to need another strategy...

I'm dumb, Ame didn't changed it yet, so powder moves still hits grass types... Good luck then, abuse while you can ^^

Edited by Vinny953

As of Gen VI, powder moves doesn't work against Grass types... i'm pretty sure Ame already updated it, so you're goign to need another strategy...

Dang how about hypnosis? i have a shiny hoothoot that has that? Will that work?

Actually i just brought my game up tested it against an oddish it worked so would it work on cradily as long as it hits?

Edited by Feareth

dragon rage is very useful, but that only if you choose charmander,, yeah toxic spikes a good way to conquer her (not tried yet myself though), i also tried butterfree with sleep powder and gust,, super effective too.

A Gyarados with Dragon Rage got me through 3 gyms... gg