Cain

KnightlyNobody

Is it just me or is Cain really irritating if not flat out obnoxious? I dont find any of his "Sex Jokes/Innuendos" to be funny at all,and the common frequency of them makes them grading. It makes him come off as a tryhard and part of it is just sad to watch. His Jokes also come at the most inopportune and irrelevant times(EX:When Randomus is trying to fit between the Gears during the Elias Arc,or when Victoria is at the Railway). Cain even gets called out on it several times but he never changes or tones it down. This wouldnt be a problem for me,but Cain arguably get the most screentime out of any of the characters in Reborn. He ends up coming across as a Screen Hog,and I would rather the game focus on more interesting characters such as Randomus or Bennet or give others more time for characterization. They dont really go into that much detail as to Cain Family Troubles to justify the Screentime. Shame since I find Aya to be a far better character but she barely gets any screentime.

Cain gets on my nerves so much that I am glad with what Episode 18 did to him.

I know people compare Cain to Terra,but I find the latter way better than the Former. Not only do I find what Terra says to be legitimately hilarious,but she has gotten far less screen time to get annoying. I also know that Cain and a lot of Reborns cast is based on Real People and the Events of the Reborn League,and while that is Nice, if I met someone like Cain in real life chances are I would tell them to Shut Up.

If you like Cain more power to you as I know a lot of people find him to be hilarious and humor is subjective

Incase I get accused of being homophobic:I could care less who anyone dates or sleeps with most of the time(with some obvious exceptions)

TrainerCain.png

Edited by KnightlyNobody

18 hours ago, KnightlyNobody said:

Is it just me or is Cain really irritating if not flat out obnoxious? I dont find any of his "Sex Jokes/Innuendos" to be funny at all,and the common frequency of them makes them grading. It makes him come off as a tryhard and part of it is just sad to watch. His Jokes also come at the most inopportune and irrelevant times(EX:When Randomus is trying to fit between the Gears during the Elias Arc,or when Victoria is at the Railway). Cain even gets called out on it several times but he never changes or tones it down. This wouldnt be a problem for me,but Cain arguably get the most screentime out of any of the characters in Reborn. He ends up coming across as a Screen Hog,and I would rather the game focus on more interesting characters such as Randomus or Bennet or give others more time for characterization. They dont really go into that much detail as to Cain Family Troubles to justify the Screentime. Shame since I find Aya to be a far better character but she barely gets any screentime.

I know people compare Cain to Terra,but I find the latter way better than the Former. Not only do I find what Terra says to be legitimately hilarious,but she has gotten far less screen time to get annoying. I also know that Cain and a lot of Reborns cast is based on Real People and the Events of the Reborn League,and while that is Nice, if I met someone like Cain in real life chances are I would tell them to Shut Up.

If you like Cain more power to you as I know a lot of people find him to be hilarious and humor is subjective

Incase I get accused of being homophobic:I could care less who anyone dates or sleeps with most of the time(with some obvious exceptions)

TrainerCain.png

I think especially Ep. 18 showed that Cain uses this kind of behaviour as a defense mechanism. And as such, it is not his entire personality. And while I agree, that until this point his character seems rather flat, I think regarding potential, he could be one of the deeper characters. And about you not getting accused of being homophobic: I don´t think it was ever mentioned that Cain is homosexual. Sexual innuendos and flirting aren´t necessarily an expression of being sexually interested in someone.

53 minutes ago, LilyX said:

First: This is obviously in the wrong place.

Second: I think especially Ep. 18 showed that Cain uses this kind of behaviour as a defense mechanism. And as such, it is not his entire personality. And while I agree, that until this point his character seems rather flat, I think regarding potential, he could be one of the deeper characters. And about you not getting accused of being homophobic: I don´t think it was ever mentioned that Cain is homosexual. Sexual innuendos and flirting aren´t necessarily an expression of being sexually interested in someone.

Sorry for that,My Stupidity. Since I posted it wrong,I did my best to delete the post

You actually don't need to delete the post... a moderator could easily move it, so if you want to put the content of the post back, you can.

Now to address the content of the post as I can see from LilyX's quote:

There are many ways to interpret Cain's behavior:

As already stated, Cain's upfront and open expression of his sexuality is his own shield to protect himself.  This is a common trait of many LGBTQ+ people.  By placing your sexuality or identity on your sleeve and acting openly flamboyant, you remove the pain of getting to know someone, only for them to hurt you when they discover and disapprove of your sexuality or gender identity.  If someone knows right away, they can use that to decide whether they want to still get to know you or if they should just cast you aside, leaving no space for emotional attachment before that decision.  

Another is the fact that the circumstances of his life have led him to believe he is incapable of being loved.  His parents divorced when he was young, leaving him with a fragmented perception of love.  When he came around to discovering his sexuality and began to explore his own capacity for love, his mother expressed disapproval and he was left feeling unloved by his parent and believing his own sense of love to be wrong as well.  So, feeling as if he's incapable of being loved, and not quite aware of what it is to be loved, he begins to treat others with egregious amounts of flirtation to hopefully make other people experience the love he wishes he could, but also to compensate for any love he feels he could never receive.

Now none of this is to say that you should like Cain despite what may appear as unnecessary and relentless flirtation and flamboyance, but I personally have learned to tolerate it knowing his experiences and having had them elaborated in episode 18.  And I wouldn't consider anyone who hates Cain on the basis of his personality to be homophobic.  Being gay myself, I even tend to find that personality type to rub me the wrong way.  The only reason one should be considered homophobic for disliking Cain is if they explicitly state they dislike him because of his pansexuality.

3 hours ago, LilyX said:

I don´t think it was ever mentioned that Cain is homosexual. Sexual innuendos and flirting aren´t necessarily an expression of being sexually interested in someone.

I don't think it's mentioned in game, but it's fairly common knowledge that Cain is actually pansexual.

8 minutes ago, Tacos said:

You actually don't need to delete the post... a moderator could easily move it, so if you want to put the content of the post back, you can.

Now to address the content of the post as I can see from LilyX's quote:

There are many ways to interpret Cain's behavior:

As already stated, Cain's upfront and open expression of his sexuality is his own shield to protect himself.  This is a common trait of many LGBTQ+ people.  By placing your sexuality or identity on your sleeve and acting openly flamboyant, you remove the pain of getting to know someone, only for them to hurt you when they discover and disapprove of your sexuality or gender identity.  If someone knows right away, they can use that to decide whether they want to still get to know you or if they should just cast you aside, leaving no space for emotional attachment before that decision.  

Another is the fact that the circumstances of his life has led him to believe he is incapable of being loved.  His parents divorced when he was young, leaving him with a fragmented perception of love.  When he came around to discovering his sexuality and began to explore his own capacity for love, his mother expressed disapproval and he was left feeling unloved by his parent and believing his own sense of love to be wrong as well.  So, feeling as if he's incapable of being loved, and not quite aware of what it is to be loved, he begins to treat others with egregious amounts of flirtation to hopefully make other people experience the love he wishes he could, but also to compensate for any love he feels he could never receive.

Now none of this is to say that you should like Cain despite what may appear as unnecessary and relentless flirtation and flamboyance, but I personally have learned to tolerate it knowing his experiences and having had them elaborated in episode 18.  And I wouldn't consider anyone who hates Cain on the basis of his personality to be homophobic.  Being gay myself, I even tend to find that personality type to rub me the wrong way.  The only reason one should be considered homophobic for disliking Cain is if they explicitly state they dislike him because of his pansexuality.

I don't think it's mentioned in game, but it's fairly common knowledge that Cain is actually pansexual.

Thanks for the Response

Cain never came off to me as a character who would exaggerate part of themselves to hide there insecurities or troubles. If anything,I thought he was the exact opposite of Fern since in the Solaris Path implies that Florina Robotic Personality Shift bothers him far more than he lets on. To the point were he doesnt think she gives a shit about him despite that not being the case.  Cain comes off as a very happy and carefree person,even when he is talking to his Sister which he did have some problems with. Even when he is kidnapped in Azurine,he makes a princess joke right after you rescue him. He also brushes aside his personal issues as minor inconveniences when confronted about it,and his mother imo never came off as a asshole as Cain and Aya described her

Your Comment defiantly has a made a good argument on Cains Character and how Episode 18 improves his Characterization.

I put that disclaimer at the end because a common trend I see in Today Society is when LBTQ+ Characters are criticized,people assume the critics are homophobic,and I would rather not be shot down as some homophone

6 hours ago, KnightlyNobody said:

TrainerCain.png

I think with Terra, she is more blunt with the sexual references than Cain but she integrates them a bit better. An example would be her badge enabling waterfall with what she says about that (not gonna say the message as could potentially get a warning point). I can see why you may dislike Cain. I find his behaviour as a result of everything almost opposite to Aya's yet they feel the same way. They both feel they are unable to be loved because of their parents dissolve of relationship but they are both affected by one other thing (this being different for both).

Cain is obviously affected by his mother's disapproval of his sexuality so had to leave/ decided to leave. As a result of that, his behaviour is openly flirtatious to make others feel the love he is missing out on as Tacos said. As a result of that, Aya would have felt that everyone she gets close to will always leave her (as both her brother and her father left). This ends up with her probably feeling the same way. Instead of being openly flirtatious, her behaviour becomes more standoffish and blunt in order to drive away people that could cause more damage to her emotionally. This is why even though Hardy is a great guy and has no ill motives, she still doesn't want to get that close to him. 

I think Aya is also frustrated towards Cain as he may have been too young at the time of their parent's split to understand the effect it had on her, leaving her alone to cope with the situation. The Ametrine Mountain/ Route 3 portions with both Cain and Aya in was great though, with Aya even starting off bad before Cain starts again.

Cain does get a taste of his own medicine when you first meet Terra and I believe he even turns around to the player saying "I'm not that bad am I" so being made to feel the discomfort that some characters feel. For me, Cain's jokes allowed to brighten up the atmosphere enough that it wasn't absolutely dark. Plus Cain is there for people when it's needed, even if it's not wanted with him looking out of Heather and all.

Cain is the sort of character where you really like him or he's meh.

1 hour ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

Cain does get a taste of his own medicine when you first meet Terra and I believe he even turns around to the player saying "I'm not that bad am I" so being made to feel the discomfort that some characters feel. For me, Cain's jokes allowed to brighten up the atmosphere enough that it wasn't absolutely dark. Plus Cain is there for people when it's needed, even if it's not wanted with him looking out of Heather and all.

Lol I remember that XD Actually if you look closely after Cain says that, the PC turns in the other direction as if saying "No comment." 🤣