Succeeding Solomon

Brave

AN ORIGINAL BY NIRVASH

Rating: 17+ (for safety purposes)

SUMMARY: Not once in this world’s history has it ever seen such peace. Prosperity. Unparalleled stability.

A golden age has finally come.

Technology, knowledge and magic advance in leaps and bounds; international relations are the best they’ve ever been and aside from a few minor skirmishes, there has not been a major outbreak of war in decades. And yet, somehow, amidst all this positivity there is discontent. Apprehension. It is not felt by the inhabitants of the world but by its guardian: King Solomon, the Ever-present. The world grows stagnant, he muses. The spark that once galvanized it and which drives it forward grows weaker with each passing year and if it continues along this path, the world will stop spinning altogether. But his time grows limited, and for all the methods and all the power at his disposal, Solomon cannot do anything to prevent it.

Concerned, but prohibited from direct interference in the affairs of the world, Solomon reaches out to those in the world possessing power similar to his own. To the 72 Daemon Lords of the Pantheon, he issues a proclamation:

“Those born of the will of the earth, I impart these words to you:

Sentinel. And observer. Tis what I am to this world and have been since its inception. It was my honor and great fortune to serve as such. Yet my chapter draws to a close. This world will soon be without my guardianship but irregardless of me, I dread that progress will halt soon after. And though I cannot mold this world in a way that I see fit, I love it dearly. To see everything culminate in a manner so unceremonious, so undignified...

Such is not my will.

This world is meant for more. So much more.

And so, I beseech you, do not let so ill a fate befall my beloved. Drive this world forward. Breathe new life into it and rekindle its spirit. Bring the full force of your powers to bear and choose the best among you, and when a victor has been chosen, they will have but one more task to fulfill.

Find me. Find me and I shall tell you everything. This is my last will and testament.”

In the wake of this announcement, the Daemons reawaken and set out to fulfill Solomon’s wish, each one with their own agenda. Unlike Solomon, the Daemons are capable of directly affecting the world from which they were born so, for them, winning means earning the right to chart out a new path for the world. However, for the purposes of the contest, they are forbidden from direct confrontation. Conflict between beings of power on a scale like that would spell worldwide havoc and mass destruction. To avoid this, they must act by proxies in the form of human champions bound to their new lord’s will through a contract.

But not every contract is made willingly, as is the case with Nadine Aspiza, a teenage magician in training from the citystate of Xianwu. Highly intelligent and skilled as a result of unfailing determination, she has a normal life with a loving family, great friends and a very bad case of the wanderlust. The world she’s seen in the books; she wants to see it and experience it for herself. Her wish is granted and her peaceful life is shattered via contract with Marchosias, 35th of the Daemonic Pantheon and the Spirit of Warriors and Ambition. The birth of a new pact attracts the eye of every other Daemon and champion within range, all of whom want her lord out of the running, and bringing down Marchosias potentially involves killing Nadine. Forced into a game she wants no part of, Nadine is chased into Xianwu’s underground, the Shadow Quarter, in search of a mercenary willing to bodyguard her. Enter Runoh Mithri, a taciturn warrior with a perpetual air of age and exhaustion about him. Reluctant, but motivated by the promise of a large sum of money for his trouble, Runoh agrees to guard the girl. And so he does, following Nadine as she searches the world desperately for a way out of her contract with Marchosias, while trying to keep the Daemon from contracting any more people.

Nadine fails to realize two things:

By binding with Marchosias, she’s been given access to his power. Immense power on an incalculable scale. Such power invariably draws people to it. Power like that can actualize what one sees in their mind. It is the ultimate wish-granter; an inescapable whirlpool of limitless promise and no matter what will come to pass, there is no way out of this. Her options, according to Marchosias...

“...are victory or death, and victory is not obtained with idle hands. Nor is it won by the heart of a coward. Life is not so easy. This game is not so easy and I chose you for that very reason. If you think you can take the fast way out or give up entirely, you are sorely mistaken. There is no easy way to succeed Solomon.”

----

This is a bit of a pet project of mine and I figured I'd share it with you guys. I didn't know exactly where to put it so here in the Distortion World it stays. This thread is for the main story and character bios, as well as descriptions of locales, the races and their cultures. Basically, the story and any/all information pertinent to the story and that I deem necessary for you to better understand it. There's a fuckton of info in this thing, folks.

Also, heads up: I might start a partner thread to this one for little one-shots. Basically short stories that pop into my head involving the characters, whether or not they've been introduced or are in a completely different area or what have you. Hope you guys enjoy. Let's have some fun, now, shall we?

You wanna know the one of the fun parts about this? Or one thing about this, anyway. The character building. Usually, it's a snap for me but this time around it's a little difficult so what I did is create kinda like... Archetypes. Personality archetypes based off people I know. Write what you know, yeah? Of course, it's a lot easier than building someone from scratch and "people I know" is a category extends into Reborn. So I think it'd be nice to let you guys know who's who in this world. Please don't get offended if you're not on this thing; chances are you might end up on it later because this is subject to change on my whim. It's just that I don't know you all that well right now.

-----

Enrique Vega . Cadmian . Male . Age 21

A wandering nobleman from a large and very prominent family in Phoenet. Naive and adventurous, womanizing but chivalrous. Fights with a bayonet that fires compressed mana bullets and has a blade for close range combat. He's very flighty, hates being tied down and values his freedom above all else. Sees the world as a wondrous and beautiful thing that he wants to experience as much of as possible before he eventually becomes unable to travel. Smarter than he acts but oftentimes needs things explained to him, and he doesn't have much of an opinion. He prefers to keep his thoughts to himself. Loves gladiatorial combat but in actual combat, is a bit of a coward. Has a pet miniature dragon named Mira. (Personality Archetype: Kirito)

Kyrie Granz . Human . Female . Age 22

A knight of the realm of Sancta Lumina with the distinction of being both a woman and very young. Comes from a family with a long history of military service and places her duty to queen and country above even her own life and sometimes, those of her comrades. Kyrie will carry out her orders without fail or question in an effort to prove herself in the eyes of her peers and kingdom. Demure and respectful but spirited and iron-willed. Fights with traditional sword and shield in the "civilized" and famous style of the Sancta Lumina knights. Though she often charges ahead in the absence of orders, she is a paragon of knighthood and dedication. Bound to the Holy Dragon Astaroth, 29th of the Pantheon and the Spirit of Temptation and the Stalwart. (Personality Archetype: Aquamarine)

Grigori Mackswell . Spriggan . Male . Age 29

A talented performer with stage fright and a lack of confidence in himself. Grigori searches for a purpose in life, feeling out of place and lonely when he looks at himself compared to the people around him. As such, he's always willing to help and try his hand at anything new in the hopes of finding his "true calling". As a Spriggan, he's talented at illusion magic and uses it in his storytelling. Not much of a fighter at all, with no formal training in any martial art style or weapon, and he lacks the basic will to fight. Believes in acting civilized but is very much controlled by his emotions, and receptive to those of the people around him. Meek, but with a hidden courage and nobility. (Personality Archetype: Eternal Edge)

Izet Lore . Cadmian . Male . Age 33

An assassin/mercenary of the Shadow Quarter with a reputation for mechanical efficiency and being steeped in sin. His motives, beyond payment and indulgence, are never clear but he's prepared for almost any eventuality and, unlike typical Cadmians, hates magic. Merciless and cruel. Proud and vain to a fault, always trying to look his best and prove his superiority to others. Has a hidden loyalty streak and an odd set of morals that is best summarized as "there is honor among thieves". A competent leader, though he'd much rather go solo. Can breathe fire. A close range fighter who favors daggers and short swords. (Personality Archetype: Vex)

Nadine Aspiza . Human . Female . Age 15

A resident of Xianwu born into a normal, loving family in the merchant quarter with a normal life and normal friends. A magic prodigy whose skill is a testament more to her unfailing determination as opposed to any inborn potential. A dreamer with a bad case of wanderlust and in a hurry to grow up and strike out on her own. Marchosias chose her to be his contractor in the upcoming game, uprooting her and sending her out into the world unprepared. Though mature beyond her years, she has her moments of childishness and is a hopeless romantic with a penchant for pairing off people she knows/meets. Fights with a grimoire of spells she compiled, both learned and created herself, as well as tattoos common among mages and magic users. (Personality Archetype: Nadia Star)

Edenburgh Simpson . Cadmian . Female . Age 20

Goes by "Eden" among her friends. A missionary and ardent worshipper of Leraje, the 14th Daemon Lord and spirit of Love, Verity and Freedom. Though her technical job is to inform people of her faith and convert them, she's not very good at her job. She doesn't speak unless spoken to and believes that regardless of her religion, people should be able to choose their own path, though she will extol Leraje's virtues to anyone who asks. Endearingly clumsy, wise, insightful, observant and kind but not without her moments of vitriol. Is more of a cleric with support and healing category Light magic but is more than capable of causing devastation. Dresses a bit oddly and is noted for having a large pair of dragon wings that allow her functional flight, a rarity among her race. (Personality Archetype: Amethyst)

Brago Tyvan . Cadmian . Male . Age 27

Son of Count Alexei Tyvan, the current head of the citystate of Xianwu and descendant of the first people to settle there. Witty and laid back; doesn't let the world get to him and takes things in stride. Can be lazy but excels at anything he puts his mind to which, at the moment, is using this situation to his advantage by turning it into a way to put Xianwu on par with the world superpowers. Has his own unusual brand of wisdom and an odd aloof confidence. Fights with full-contact storm magic and has since learned to breathe lightning over the usual firebreath inherent to his kind. Does not have wings or horns; the only thing remotely Cadmian about him are his pointed ears, nails and fangs. Inexplicably attracts women to him as a result of his personality as opposed to his status but still gets his fair share of golddiggers. His fiancee is not amused. (Personality Archetype: Renzo AKA Xiphera)

Sophia del Sparna . Yenhal Tribeswoman . Female . Age 19

A lioness type huntress from the wastelands west of Xianwu. Childlike and sheltered to the point of ignorance as a result of never having left her village. It's so bad, she believes the entire world is contained in the expanse of the Sparna Wasteland. Fairly unintelligent but sincere and with unmatched instincts and speed. She is curious about everything so when given the chance to leave her village -- a place famous even among her race for its extraordinary sense of community -- she takes it against the collective will of the village. Eager to learn and trusting to a fault; believes that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Fights with twin short swords. (Personality Archetype: Sophie Star AKA Miku Hatsune)

Klonoa Maruvo . Spriggan . Male . Age 38

A man with an odd past and no biological family to speak of. His profession as a beastmaster-type warlock has given him many familiars who he considers family but he's still a loner and longs for sentient companionship. Klonoa is a paradox who believes the world is an unforgiving place and the the weak inevitably get devoured or destroyed, but he holds a soft spot in his heart for those who can't fight for themselves, taking it upon himself to help them become strong enough. However, he's still cold and an extended absence of sentient contact has left him with a less than firm grasp of social customs that he often mixes up, and an inability to express the kinder side of him. He's a fair bit shorter than most but doesn't mind it. His small size leads many to underestimate him. (Personality Archetype: Entei AKA Colin)

Lindzei Evans . Human . Female . Age 40

A deadly combination of magic and physical strength, Lindzei is a master of a fighting style she invented herself involving a magic she named Forge and several varying arts. Forge is one of the most versatile magics on the planet and allows her to make anything out of anything. Mostly, this translates to weapons and most of the ones she creates, she knows how to use. Possessing a gregarious personality from growing up with a large family, Lindzei loves the company of others but is often too busy on jobs to really enjoy it. Used to being in total control, she's extremely happy with her life and has no plans to change it, resisting any form of change vehemently. Loud, opinionated and energetic, she's the one to point out both the obvious and the not-so-obvious whenever given a chance. (Personality Archetype: Mashew)

Talius Tarvos . Yenhal Tribesman . Male . Age 52

A wolf-type Yenhal and experienced mage who has tattooed most of his body in magic arrays. Exceedingly reckless with more than a few screws loose, Talius is forever eager to experiment with new spell combinations, carrying a small library of grimoires as his weapon and is able to utilize them by way of the massive Gravity command encompassing his back and arms. Adopted the last name Tarvos and goes by it whenever referring to himself in an effort to attract attention and a bit more fame. A bright and famous scholar who invented many spells ranging from useful household techniques to devastating King's Orders. Normally hates children but will make an exception to those with the will to learn and advance. Apart from his tattoos, he's never without a few scars and bruises from his experiments, prompting many to wonder how he's even still alive. (Personality Archetype: Poeseph)

Aldric Ravan . Human . Male . Age 46

A misanthropic mechanist residing in the mountain settlement of Croyse. Originally from the Ardhama Desert, Aldric has seen most of the worst that the world and its people have to offer and, while jaded before, holds little hope for anyone bar his four illegitimate children and those who've proven their worth as people. Has a bitingly "real" sense of humor. Bitter and regretful about the way much of his life has turned out, Aldric is an incredible father and wants to make it so his kids don't end up like him. Inhumanly durable and with a beard that devours most of his face. Fights with mechanical gauntlets which are really the arms of an ancient mecha and sometimes a giant wrench. One of the few of the world's total population completely incapable of using any form of magic. (Personality Archetype: Huggyboo)

Jarvis Viktorya . Human . Male . Age 30

Regna Sancta Lumina's third prince, Jarvis Viktorya, faces charges of treason. In the wake of a massacre by the hands of a cult thought to now exist only in textbooks, Jarvis is left soaked in blood and framed for the brutal crime. Melancholy and solitary, but somehow able to attract people Jarvis is difficult to figure out. He does decently in social situations and excels at blending into high society but he's a known recluse. That same quality is responsible for making him the perfect target for framing but he's been trying to grow out of it, if only to keep from being badgered to go out and find a wife. Sadly, he lacks the will to even do that (among other things) and has no interest in ascending to the throne. A wayward soul. Doesn't really believe in any of the Daemon Lords. Fights with a rapier in the style of the royal family. (Personality Archetype: Ikaru)

This is a bit more of a personal announcement, but to everyone who is submitting or having rj craft a character for you with his lyrics of wordplay and wizardry, i'm gonna draw them. I've already drawn a few of the original concepts for the main cast and i'm due to draw the world map once Brave gets off his butt and tells me the descriptions. Anyways, send me a pm of your characters physical description (or a existing character to base it off with any personal tweaks you want to add) here on the forums, and i'll get to it.

SIDE NOTE: Don't describe it on here since i don't want to clutter this page. Also and example of using an existing character could be as such:

Izet Lore from Vex. Character model of the main character from Thief. Add shortsword and twin daggers instead of quiver and bow.

Models aren't limited to games, they can be from any fictional or non-fictional place. All i need is a picture and then your personal adjustments if you choose to do it this way... Also this is free but rupee donations are accepted to myself of Nirvash (he's a bit of a greedy bastard but i love'm)

Edited by Huggyboo

• 3 weeks later...

Still in development; I'm working on a prologue as we speak. It's not easy getting back into the swing of things, especially with how hectic things are being the closer it gets to my departure date for vacation.

• 1 year later...

The Heavenly Tournament : Succeeding Solomon

Summary: The twilight of the golden age approaches as, unbeknownst to the world, its guardian, Solomon, grows weary. Since the advent of life, God King Solomon has stood sentinel over the world, guiding and defending it to the best of his ability but for all his power, such a task is incredibly draining. Now, as his own life wanes, he makes a decree to the deities of this world:

“Should the strongest among you be found, send them to me and they shall inherit my crown.”

The gods of the Pantheon heed Solomon’s words and organize a contest to find the strongest among them. Since direct combat between them would reduce the world to cinders, the gods see only one way to settle the score and involve the lives of those who call this world home. The gods send out a rallying cry swearing to grant the wishes of any who would enter into a contract with them in return for their aid in the contest. With the game afoot and history rounding a new turning point, the Pantheon enters pitched combat via their chosen champions, all seventy-two with their own reason to covet the title of God King.

Chapter 0: Winds of Change, Howl

Sat round their regular corner table at their accustomed spot in the courtyard of the cafe they would commonly visit in the afternoon were three students, two young women and a young man, all three sporting azure cloaks emblazoned with black owls. The shorter of the girls, a brown-skinned, round-faced brunette with her hair in a fishtail braid and a disinterested way about her stirred sugar into her tea, while the slim and pale blonde drummed her fingers on the table and glared pointedly at the first, totally ignoring her eclair. Sat opposite them was a rather haggard young man with short dusty blonde hair wearing a gray vest over his white dress shirt.

“What about Leonard’s Librarie? I can’t remember the last time we went there,” he suggested.

“Three days ago,” the girl stirring her tea said instantly. “Right after classes because Emmeryn wanted a copy of The Warlock and you, David, wanted wells with green ink in them because blue ‘wasn’t your color’ or something.” Shetook a sip and looked at David to continue.

“Uh… Avalon Park, maybe?” the boy said feebly. “No, that’s --”

“In the Lavender Quarter and none of us can get in there,” the blonde girl said before the other could open her mouth. “That’s what you were gonna say, right, Sadia?” The girl called Sadia nodded.

“I was also going to say ‘boring’ but I think that much is obvious.” David sighed and put his head in his hands, defeated.

“So since nothing we think up is going to interest our fair Lady Sadia, where would she like to go today?” he asked.

A smile tugged at Sadia’s lips and she reached into the bag hanging on her seat. “ Now that you mention it,” she said as she placed an ornate silver rod on the table, “I do need a new focus for this.”

“Your staff looks fine to me. What’s wrong with the one you’ve got now?” David asked. He picked up the rod and started inspecting the hunk of citrine, cut and polished and big as his fist, that topped it.

Emmeryn cut in, suspicion lacing her tone. “And more importantly, where do you plan on obtaining one?” At this, Sadia grinned.

“Glad you asked! The caravans are gathering outside the city again --”

“Of course it’s outside the city,” Emmeryn said.

“Is it already that time of year again?” David wondered aloud.

“-- and if we show some initiative, make it to them before they’ve cleared customs, I’m betting there’s a good chance we can sneak a peek at what they’ve got before anyone else! We can do some haggling and try for a good price!”

“Do we really need to leave the city for something we could do at five different shops in this quarter alone?” Emmeryn muttered with a roll of her hazel eyes.

“We go to the same shops and the same places every day, Emm. I already know what’s here and none of it’s good enough. I want to see the things that come from elsewhere and, besides, it’s more fun this way!” insisted Sadia.

“I think you mean ‘more dangerous’,” David replied as he gave a glowering Sadia her rod back. “The shops here are honest; traveling caravans will do or say anything they can to make you overpay for something you probably don’t even need.”

“Not to mention if they see you really want something, they won’t hesitate to swindle you out of every last piece you’ve got,” Emmeryn added swiftly.

“That’s why we haggle!” Sadia slammed her fist on the table.

Emmeryn let out a barking laugh. “Ha! With people that’ve been doing this their whole lives? Who are backed by mercenaries who only care about how much they get paid? Right, good luck with that.”

“I think what Emm means,” David said before Sadia could respond in kind to the other girl, “is that we’re kids to them, Sadia, and that means we’re either an easy target or not worth their time.”

“We’re sixteen years old, David, and Emm is almost seventeen. I wouldn’t call us children.”

“They would,” the blonde girl said. “Honestly, Dia, I’m never going to understand your obsession with the outside.”

“It’s not an obsession,” Sadia countered hotly. “It’s a healthy interest, and I’ll never get why you’re not more interested! There’s so much more out there than Zonwu and right on the city’s doorstep are people that can show and tell us all about it.”

“Sweetie, you live in a three hundred year old that was built on the back of a giant land tortoise!” Emmeryn said standing from her seat. “There’s so much here you haven’t even seen yet and you’re in a hurry to leave? I just don’t get it.”

“So we’re not going?” asked Sadia. Her two friends shook their heads.

“Unless you want to go alone. I’d really rather not deal with the merchants until after they’ve cleared their way into the city,” Emm said bluntly. She finished her eclair in two bites and clapped the crumbs off her hands. “Just not worth the trouble to me. Sorry.”

“I kinda have to side with Emm on this one, Dia…” David said nervously scratchinghis arm. “Besides, it’s starting to get a little late and we’ve still got that paper to write on crystal engineering, so hitting the library sounds like a good idea.”

“You still haven’t done that?”

“Not all of us can be star students like you, Dia,” Emmeryn laughed.

“Fine,” sighed the brunette. Sadia stood and smoothed out her black uniform skirt, adjusting the strap hanging from her belt holding a large blue grimoire to her side. “Go do your paper; I’ll find some way to keep myself occupied.” The three paid for their food and parted ways from the cafe’s cobblestone patio, Emmeryn and David headed north towards the library of the Gabora College and Sadia meandering off into the heavy foot traffic of Zonwu’s Merchant Quarter, Arlowe.

Arlowe consisted mainly of low buildings of dark wood and yellow limestone, most no higher than two and a half stories, with burnt orange terracotta roof tiles glowing in the late sunlight. Some buildings had rooftop gardens or balconies jutting out into the alleyways; the streets were clay and the sidewalks paved with brick and lined with all manner of plant life: bright flowers and shrubs and bushes and, when afforded space to grow, spindly maple trees with magenta leaves and proud dogwood trees with their white flowers in bloom.

The street widened as Sadia approached Genbu Circle, a wide and bustling plaza rimmed by stores and other establishments centered around a copper fountain dominated by the statue jade-eyed statue of an ancient land tortoise. Supposedly, the statue was in the image of the very creature upon which the city was built, though Sadia had her doubts about this. The city was founded three centuries ago after the tortoise settled into the valley to die, and it was said that no one really knew what it looked like. Supposedly, its kind were all extinct. Sadia chalked it up to the artistic license of the fountain’s architect and left it at that.

Whether or not the statue was accurate mattered not because at the very western edge of the district, high on a ridge where the tortoiseshell met the countryside, lay a temple almost small enough to be called a shrine. She hadn’t visited it in a while but, on days like this, would sit in the shade and watch the sunset while she dreamed of the outside world. It was cool and shady and mostly private (nearly everyone in Arlowe knew of it yet chose not to frequent the spot unless they had need of it), but what she liked most about it was its status as the best vantage point in this part of the city. From it, Sadia could see well onto the horizon, watch the Argum River twist off into the sunset, and spy on the incoming caravans all at once. If she couldn’t leave the city to see them in person, she figured, watching them arrive would be the next best thing. Briskly, Sadia cut through the chattering crowds ignoring the shouting vendors and moving west towards her destination. Once free of the throng, she cut into an alleyway, took out her rod and conjured a gust of wind that vollied her onto the rooftops. From there, she leapt from roof to roof until the stone pavement disappeared and the houses shrank and her boots touched down on the countryside at the very edge of Arlowe.

The path changed from stone to dirt and wound uphill, neatly lined by cypress trees and wildflowers. After a few minutes of walking and humming softly to herself, the sun hung just over the horizon and Sadia found herself at the gate of the temple perched near the edge of the tortoiseshell. The temple wasn’t very much; just a mossy stone dais and a slightly unkempt shrine at the back behind a violet wooden arch. Under the purple roof of the shrine sat a statue roughly the girl’s height depicting a three-eyed shirtless figure with wild hair and wolfish features the girl knew to be one of the old deities, nearly forgotten in this age: Marchosias, the Warrior King. Sadia lay her rod across her lap to sit at the edge of the dais facing the sunset and gazed over the rim of the shell at the steady river of caravans pulled by spiral-horned ox flowing towards the city gate.

“Look at all of them,” she whispered, entranced and envious. “Coming from who knows where to visit here, of all places. I wonder what they’ve seen on the way?” Breathing out a sigh, the girl produced a small notebook from her bag and started jotting down what she saw.

Wagons of all sizes and colors trundled up the road while their drivers spurred the beasts pulling them on; merchants chatted with their employers and the hired mercenaries; people or sitting on the backs and tops of the wagons ever vigilant despite their proximity to Zonwu. Sadia could see their lips moving but none of their conversations could be heard from her spot, a fact she cursed. It was almost as if they were teasing her curiosity, daring her to jump off the ledge and join them if she wanted to know what was being said. Almost too quickly passed the hour. Evening fell, the stars came out for the night and she knew the torches in the town behind her had been lit by the city watch at least a half hour ago. It was well past time to return home.

Grumbling reluctantly, Sadia gathered her things and approached the shrine to pay her respects before leaving. She waved her staff, muttered an incantation, and the fire bowls on either side of the statue came to life. Kneeling before the idol as she had countless times before, Sadia bowed her head and touched the inscription on the pedestal: “Speak your ambition and pray”.

“Help me see what’s outside this place,” she pleaded. “Someday soon? I’ll be nearly of age next year so maybe by then? There’s too much out there past this place and I want to see it for myself. So please…”

Silence reigned for a while as the girl meditated on that wishing for some sign that the old god heard her. Legend contended that if he had, Marchosias would send a breeze as proof and even though legends were just legends, a part of her still hoped. The air was still and chilly as she looked expectantly at the statue. It returned her gaze with a blank one of its own.

“Of course not,” she conceded, standing to leave. “Thanks anyway.”

A breeze rushed through the grass and trees at that moment and, startled, Sadia faced the statue again. A grin slowly spread across her face, excitement and disbelief overtaking her features. The wind grew stronger then, whipping her hair about her face and ripping leaves from the trees to scatter about.

“Thank you, thank you!” she cried. “Next year then? You’ll help me leave by next year?” As if to answer her, the breeze grew stronger and began circling the temple; the fire in the bowls struggled to stay lit, flickering against the howling wind. As it grew to a roaring gale, the wind carried with it a voice, deep and echoing and clear against the din.

“Next year?”

The fires died that instant plunging all into darkness and sending fear to grip Sadia’s chest. Bewildered, she spun about frantically trying to get a grip on what was happening. The eyes of Marchosias’ statue suddenly burned like indigo stars, frightening Sadia away from it and onto the stone dais. Her foot made contact with the structure and the same light erupted forth, moving and twisting across the surface of the dais to scrawl out a magic circle.

“I doubt either of us can wait that long,” the voice said.

“Who’s there?!” Sadia cried helplessly. “What do you want?!”

“The same thing you do: freedom! You and I are kindred spirits, child. We’ve waited far too long to sit and wait another year. It’s time we leave this place! Together!”

“Who are you?!”

“You know who I am.” the voice declared proudly. “Thirty-fifth of the Pantheon, the Warrior King and Saint of the Ambitious, Marchosias! Was it not you who called to me, Sadia Aspiza?”

“How do you know my name?” Sadia demanded but the god continued as if she’d never spoke.

“Sadia, if you still wish to see this world with your own eyes, then my offer is this: accept me into your heart and carry my will as your own! Swear this and I will return it in kind. By my blessing, you will be free! Free to roam, free to explore as you’ve so longed!”

The circle was finished now, glowing like a beacon in the night and nearly blinding Sadia. She stumbled backwards and fell looking towards the sky for any sign of the source of the god’s voice.

“I-I…” she stuttered. “Can trust you?”

“I am nothing if not honest and I seek not to harm you,” the bodiless voice answered. “Should you accept, then the both of us shall see our wishes made real, this I swear. You need only do the same.”

Shielding her face from the wind, Sadia stood and forced her nerves down. In spite of this, her whole body still trembled like the leaves tossed about in the maelstrom. “A chance like this won’t come again, will it?”

“No. Refuse and I will leave to seek another. So I ask once more: will you accept me into your heart?”

“Then I accept!” she shouted into the gale. No sooner than she did, the statue’s burning eyes projected themselves into the circle and blinked. Three eyes sparkling like amethysts took form several feet above her and, like a ship emerging from the fog, a massive leg clad in baggy white cloth stepped forth from the wall of wind. The rest of a body followed, sturdy and muscled covered in sparse chestnut fur with a gold and silver belt inscribed with the same magic circle carved in the ground round its middle; wild black hair curtained the eyes as the god’s beastlike face took form, proud and noble and undeniably frightening. A halo rotated behind him as did two golden wheels floating just behind his canine ankles, and a chalk white snake twenty feet in length slithered out of the aether with its mouth agape, amber eyes unblinking and fixed on Sadia. The girl followed the serpent’s body upwards and saw, to her complete shock, that it grew out of Marchosias’ braided hair.

“Then it begins tonight!” Frozen in place by fear and awe, Sadia could do nothing as Marchosias knelt down and turned his ethereal gaze on her. The two locked eyes and the beastly deity reached out with a clawed finger to gingerly touch the right side Sadia’s neck. Immediately there was a searing pain there; her hand clapped onto the source of the ache and she bit back a scream, fighting to stay conscious as her body was weighed down by the god’s aura.

“Our wills are as one now,” the god commanded. “Be as my eyes and hands in this world. Go boldly forth and the road will rise to meet you. Guide us both to victory!”

All at once, the winds converged around the circle and blew outwards with a thunderclap and flash of purple akin to a lightning strike. The light from the circle died and Sadia fell to her knees, vision hazy and her head swimming as she grasped at reality. Ultimately, she could not fight her body’s demand for rest. She fell asleep right there, oblivious to the gemstone bracelet that now clung to her left wrist.

Elsewhere, a few miles from Zonwu, a knight and her charge sat on horseback at the head of a traveling party, dumbstruck. The woman, tall and stately, narrowed her eyes behind the visor of her helm and pursed her lips, her expression wrought of worry.

“Milord, another one!” she said turning towards the hooded man beside her.

“As if this weren't difficult enough, now every person in Zonwu and for miles around would’ve seen that,” the hooded one drawled absently rubbing the back of his left arm. “Which means if we've enemies here, they'll be on the hunt. It can’t ever be easy for us, can it, Kyrie?”