Tradition and Status: A Nobility themed run of Reborn(Last Leader Defeated Corey

DigitalAmber

My Leige,

Though you be a kind and sagacious Duke, and I be a lowly knight (newly minted at that), I have a word of advice for you. This scoundrel, Fern, is a (young) member of the Gentry, as well as sibling to your compatriot Florinia. Though you might find him insufferable, i would advise keeping him close. He is known to be a disrespectful scoundrel, and you should not give him time to commit other villainies. He definitely won’t betray you he might impede your progress for his own gain. In addition, his sister proved a significant asset, and you should keep a good relation with her

This concludes a little perspective from a young knight. Safe travels, my Leige.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, World3 said:

My Leige,

Though you be a kind and sagacious Duke, and I be a lowly knight (newly minted at that), I have a word of advice for you. This scoundrel, Fern, is a (young) member of the Gentry, as well as sibling to your compatriot Florinia. Though you might find him insufferable, i would advise keeping him close. He is known to be a disrespectful scoundrel, and you should not give him time to commit other villainies. He definitely won’t betray you he might impede your progress for his own gain. In addition, his sister proved a significant asset, and you should keep a good relation with her

This concludes a little perspective from a young knight. Safe travels, my Leige.

Florinia does not seem to care about Fern, so I doubt my actions against him would ever deeply affect her. If he is indeed a member of the Gentry, he acts in a way unbecoming of it. 

After Victoria left me with an egg from a secret admirer of some sort, I decided to visit the Grand Hall to heal. I had to put the egg in my backpack to protect it from the weather and the thugs lurking everywhere.

Upon leaving the Grand Hall, where I healed my Pokémon, I ran into Florinia chatting with the guards. "Greetings, Regulus." "Hello, Florinia."
"However, my immediate departure is necessitated. Obsidia remains in a volatile condition. My attendance is manditory." "Obsidia, that's the one with the plants right?"
"Correct. Farewell."
"Well, goodbye then."
"Reconsidering.... Regulus, are you attempting to access the Obsidia Ward?"
"I am."
"The area remains currently restricted for all outside civilians in reaction to the damage currently being inflicted. However, given the previous assistance granted at the factory, an exception may be possible. This person may be able to assist the present situation in Obsidia. Is passage permissible?"
"Yes I believe so- wait. I think I recognize this one. White hair, carries a sword, it's him. This is the guy we got a call about for threatening that poor boy and that fisherman." The rats, they told on me. These officers should know better then to fight me. I outrank them, they are petty civil servants after all.
"Look, it wasn't me."
"That's what they all say kid. We can go quietly if you turn yourself in."

unknown.png?width=489&height=375

"Hostility towards an ally has been detected. Preparing to stand by if bloodshed commences. Defense loading. Regulus is an ally. He should satisfy you by working alongside me on the issue of the malign flora. Access granted." They were outranked on two fronts now.
"Sue thing, I guess. Don't think we aren't watching you, kid."
"Current status: A malign force has manipulated the plant life for its own needs. Various civilians have gone missing because of the flora. The target area has been narrowed down to Obsidia Park, hosting the majority of floral species in the ward. Operation assets will assemble there. Do attend shortly. Farewell."
Great, it seems I had been coerced into helping Florinia. I didn't want to, but this could help tremendously. It would mean I wouldn't have to deal with plants attacking me while looking around in the Ward. I didn't want to help the commoners there:they weren't my problem, but it dawned on me that I needed a good friend here to aid me. If I made myself popular through the people, I would have a better chance at find information and organizing a search party for the lost blade. I just had to not get distracted.

Obsidia Ward was in a state of utter disrepair and chaos. I held Catherine tight to me as we walked through and the two of us had to dodge multiple vines shooting up from the very ground below us. The plants were everywhere and vines crisscrossed the road. Touching one meant all would spring to life, like a Venus fly trap. Massive chasms split the Ward apart. I ran into Victoria, who seemed to be staring at a particularly old run down building. Why, I didn't know. There were better things to stare at then done house that was run down even for commoners. I approached her.
"Regulus," she cried, "I'm not sure what to do. The main road is blocked off thanks to all the plants destroying the city. The only other way through is through the Obsidia Slums, down this way."
"Wait, Peridot wasn't the slums?"
"Peridot is where we produce things. We might be in the ward themed on the economy right now, but the goods from Peridot power this place. I could see how you might mistake it for a slum."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Gangs have overrun it. Peridot doesn't have it as bad as the slums though. I went in there, but it's dangerous! All these men kept attacking me, and it was like the debris in there was moving on its own!"
"Sounds like the place vermin flock to." Victoria's eyes has a serious glint in them.
"Regulus, are you going to go through the slums?"
"Look, I don't have a choice. I need to check them out and I need to travel through them."
"I was worried you would say that. Isn't there anything I can do to stop you, it's not safe."

"Do not tell me what I can and cannot do."
"If you think your ready, prove it to me. I am trying to protect you here."
"I don't need your protection. I am more then capable."

unknown.png

I started to walk past her, only for her to move faster than I expected and block my path. Victoria sent out a Ralts, which split into copies of itself as soon as Grace Mega Drained. Deciding not to deal with this, I sent out Stali. The copies split into even more copies, and Stali let out a blast of electricity which fried the clones and struck true to the real Ralts. Upon seeing her Pichu, I brought out Grace. The Pichu got an early fast hit in, and was no where to be seen after its Fake Out. It started running about and started to grow a mischievous grin as it plotted. Victoria used a potion on the Pichu. I had Grace sit out in the sun for a moment to get strength as the Pichu's grin grew wider. Grace launched another drain and was hit by a close range thunder shock. The rat got another shock off before it went down. Victoria's Torracat came out next and upon seeing it I sent out Catherine. It's first fangs were resisted by Catherine and she sent out a close range bubble. The Torracat got off two more fire gangs before it was barely upright and Victoria had to use a potion on it. It went down right away.

"Fine," she huffed, "Just promise me you'll be careful, okay? Keep a sharp eye." She sounded like an old mother.
"My sword is sharper. I am not incompetent, I will have you know."
"I didn't think you were. Good luck." She walked off.

If I had thought Obsidia was a complete mess, then the slums were a complete mess with less plants and added glass shards and broken everything. Multiple thugs attacked me and I took care not to cut myself on glass. I kept a hand in my blade as I walked and an eye out for thugs and my lost heirloom.

Upon entering a large building that seemed more like a cave due to the terrible flooding, I noticed what appeared to be a small yellow star shaped meteor. One of the thugs was kind enough to explain it was a Light Shard, and that it healed Pokémon as a one time use. I decided not to use it and save it for emergencies.

unknown.png?width=481&height=376

The flooring on the upper level was appalling and I had to hop occasionally to get across some spots. I walked gingerly in these areas. It all seemed normal and mundane until I saw a box sitting in the center of the room which had t superseded me considering the crates of junk abound. What did surprise me was when it ran away from me when I even began to walk within a minor distance of it. I began to watch the boxes more carefully, but none of the others lashed out.

I was walking through the slums when I noticed a kid who looked jumpy enough that I challenged him to a battle. He proved to be a competent battler and I might have lost had Grace not single-handedly demolished his team. I had to rely on Catherine to handle the last foe, but otherwise, Grace did all the work. Upon his defeat he revealed he was the thief who stole the Pokémon from the fisherman. Except, he sold it to a gang in the North sector of the Ward. He was worthless. He was left on the ground with a punched in face for wasting my time.

As I walked near a staircase to the roof, another box moved away into a hole under the staircase. As I walked into another room from the roof, I noticed a box on the way, except it was oddly mishshappen. I went to kick it out of the way, but it wouldn't budge. Another kick yielded the same result. The third kick caused the box to let out a minor growl and I instantly drew my sword. The box growled again and I brought my sword down on the broken roofing it had just occupied. It fled through the door to the back. As I chased after the box I could swear I heard muffle footsteps just out of sight. I walked through a door and saw a yellow hooded lizard seem to consult an orange mowhawked lizard about something. The boxes adjacent to the orange lizard flipped over to reveal two more Scraggy. I was up against a Scraggy gang.

unknown.png

All at once they jumped upon me and I called Bard out to my defense, alongside Grace. I drew my blade and swung at one of the Scraggy who had swung in behind me. It hissed as the cold steel ran across its body. It pulled up its protective layer and charged, managing to get in my guard. I side stepped one punch before getting hit by a second. It felt like a truck had hit me square in the chest. I ducked, or was it fell?, away from another blow and tried to sweep the Scraggy's legs out. It stood still.

Bard and Grace had already taken out one Scraggy and now their Scrafty leader was fighting them. It witnessed Grace go down, but couldn't do anything to call her back. Bard dough vailently and fended off the attackers.

I sprang upward and pushed the Scraggy back, which took a surprising amount of force. With one hand I swung my blade at the Scraggy and my other fumbled enough to release Berlioz from her Pokeball. He launched in from behind and knock my Scraggy into the blade's way. The result was an unconscious Scraggy. He then jumped in to help defend Grace, who was laying unconscious. The Scrafry went down, as did his underlings. I recalled Grace. These Pokémon had picked a fight with the wrong person. Surly if they disappeared no one would worry. They were just Pokémon, it's not like they were that sentient. As I ran to kill the downed Scrafty, Catherine appeared from her Pokeball in a flash of light. She stood in my way and my step faltered. Bard pushed the blade away with a razor sharp arm. I had just noticed how sharp they were. "Catherine. Move. Now." "Prin." "I said move."
"Prin!" The tone uses made it sound as she was saying, "Make me."

unknown.png?width=491&height=375

"Do you really want to disobey me right now? I am your superior. Obey me and step aside." By now the Scrafty had pulled itself together and scampered off. Bard chittered something and Catherine made what seemed like a sound of agreement. She turned and walked off with Bard in toe. I stood dumbfounded. My starter has just left along with one of my most reliable servants. Berlioz managed to snap me out of my stupor by growling at one of the thugs who came to hear what the shouting was about. I did not hesitate to cut down all those who remained in the slums. A few were left bleeding, one or two were unconscious, and all had a cut of some sort inflicted on them by me. I hoped they died from their wounds. I hadn't the time nor patience to make sure any of them were dead.

As I made my way to the only unblocked Ward, the Coral Ward, my eyes started to sting a little. It had to be the breeze from the contaminated lake screwing with my eyes. It had to be. A noble did not shed tears. The only tears that escaped my eyes were from the lake breeze of course. I wiped these involuntary tears away and accidentally stumbled into a girl. "Watch where you're going!" I snapped.
"I would if I could. Would you like to take a quiz?"
"Don't just change the subject, apologize right now."
"I have to apologize for being blind? First question. How many headbut trees are there in the area around the Grand Hall?" These questions were hard. How was I supposed to know this? It seemed like the Grand Hall favored symmetry, so maybe four trees? One in every corner.
"Four."
"Correct. Now this one will be harder. How many satellite dishes are there in Obsidia Ward?" How would she know if I told the truth or not. She was blind. This quiz has gotten harder by a far margin. Time to go for a guess. Seven was often thought of as lucky, right?
"Seven."
"Obviously. Now for the last question. How many pink ribbons are in Julia's gym?" Ok, now how was I supposed to know this? That was actually impossible. Had she even been in Julia's gym? Considering who it was, she probably wasn't the type for a single digit number. Completely stumped, I chose today's date. "Thirty-one. Now the reward?"
"Hmph, oh that. Here. It's the read out for the Misty Terrain field effect." I had seriously been put through that type of quiz for such a simple stupid item. I jammed it into the Pokegear and left.

Upon walking upon the docks, which made the acidic wind worse, I saw a teal haired lady staring out across the murky bay. I followed her gaze and noticed a shape trapped on a small erroded spit of concrete. She turned as I walked over.
"Oh hello. Could you wait a minute? That Popplio is trapped over there and I need to get it to safety. I'm a water Pokémon trainer, but if any Pokémon touches the lake it's going to be seriously hurt!" I heard a familiar voice call my name.
"Heyyy, Regulus!"
It was the goldigger, Cain I believe. He walked over.
"Making friends in high places, are we?
" "Naturally."
"Aha, I wouldn't really say high places."
"Hey, Regulu-wait. Are you okay, Regulus? You seem a little lost. Are, are- have you been crying?" Genuine surprise and shock filled the commoner's voice. Were my thoughts that easy to read? I was not crying. The wind simply tore at my eyes. "This wind really burns, okay." I said that with far less confidence then I wanted to.
"Indeed it does. My name is Amaria. I'm a gym leader for the league. If you have a problem, come to me, alright?"
"You said you were a water leader right?"
"Yes I did. Is something the matter with another water type?" I, I couldn't take her help. I was a noble, I had to figure this out myself. Otherwise, I would be worthless. Unable to stand strong.
"No reason."
"If a water type troubles you, come get me, okay. It's no big hassle to me, really. I just need to help this Popplio first."
"Popplio? Ohhhh, its trapped over there? And I thought you two were just having a romantic conversation~"
"We need to get it out, that is no safe place for a Popplio."
"Nah." Did Cain actually not care for once? So he was a heartless commoner then. 

"What?"
"~You're not alone, so hard no doubt, we'll put our heads together gonna figure this out~" Cain sang acapella.
"Why are you singing?" Cain decided not to answer and instead released an Alolan Grimer. He continued to sing some more as the Grimer sunk into the acidic water. It slunk over to the Popplio, who stood atop its head. I could not imagine how that would feel, having all that filthy waste below you. Cain started to walk away, but turned his head slightly and noticed the Popplio still following him.
"Awwh, he seems to like you."
"Well he is a cutie for sure. If you want to tag along, I am always open for another member." The Popplio started barking and Cain seemed to take it as that it wanted to challenge me. Reluctantly I wiped the wind tears from my eye and commenced the battle.

unknown.png

I sent out Grace, but changed to Berlioz upon seeing his Grimer. Berlioz faked out the Grimer and delivered a nasty scratch, but was knocked out by a devastating blow. Cain used a potion as I sent out Ponyo, still not knocking out the Grimer. Stali finally took it down. Upon seeing a Cubone, I switched to Grace. Cain wasted a potion on it before being forced to withdraw it. Cain sent out his ace Nidorino. I sent Stali out to counter it. Stali fell before he could send out an attack. Grace's Mega drains did almost nothing, but so did the Nidorino's fury attacks. If I was going to win I would need firepower. I let Grace filter the toxicity from the mist and absorb the few pure drops of water in the air. The Nidorino hadn't expected this and overshot its next attack. Grace's damage was still weak, but no longer ineffectual.

Cain withdrew his Nidorino and sent out Cubone, who fell upon impact. The Nidorino fell to Grace's next hit and all that was left was his Popplio. Normally I wouldn't be do off balance and close to loss. Normally I would have had Cain pinned by now. What had gone wrong? Was I too weak? Grace was still healthy, but she couldn't do too many more drains. I let her sit and take in energy, not caring if she got hit by water while doing so. Grace let out an overpowered Mega Drain which knocked out Popplio in one blow. Cain left after my victory, which Grace has basically provided singlehandedly.

"Thanks for helping him out. I have to make sure all Pokémon are safe in anyway I can. I should probably get back to Obsidia." She started to walk off. I surprised myself for reaching out for her arm as she walked by me. "Yes?"

"Uh, err..." I was making a complete fool of myself unbecoming of a noble. I was about to ask a high ranking gym leader what was likely a foolish question. "My Prinplup has begun disobeying me, but I have enough badges. I'm.... just really confused right now."

unknown.png?width=488&height=375

"Oh. That is indeed an important matter. Prinplup seems to be your starter. I would say it left because it disagreed with your choices. They believe themselves to be the best. You should go reconcile with it before you lose the chance. You don't want to live a life of regret. Now I have to go find Rini, try to look around for your Prinplup, alright? Get me if things get too complex or dangerous. I need to go find Rini now." Did she just blatantly question my skill level? I could handle this by myself. Although,, she could have just said that because she was an expert on water types. I thanked her before she got off the dock. Maybe she was right. I should go reconcle her Catherine. With fresh confidence, I started out to find Catherine.

Regulus's Opinions
Spoiler

Amaria(6) 6-10: Is a genuinely kind person who tries to do good. She seemed to want to help how she could. 

Cain(4-10) +1: I don't understand him at all, but he did take a Popplio with him and provide a challenging act where he acted like he was winning. I was in full control. 

Florinia(unchanged): She got me in Obsidia, but dragged me into the issue with the plants. 

Victoria(4-10) -1: She tried to tell me no after she couldn't even get through the slums.

Aww Regu-chan having troubles with Catherine~ wonder where she's gone off to.

But Cain... why didn't he question Regulus not having his starter? Did he feel it was best not to say anything of the matter?

You seem to mention quite a lot of thugs, my liege. I hate thugs. So brute and unsophisticated, unable to handle even the simplest of plans, and yet able to RUIN AN ALOLAN VACATION!! That aside, I do believe Catherine believes herself somehow better than you, as if a simple Poken Princess is better than a Regnant Duke in the line for Kalos, like a Petty King in Hoenn insulting the Divine Emperor of Johto. Do not let this shake  your noble bearing, my liege, and if the Pokemon returns, do instill within it more discipline.

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for not sending my correspondence sooner, my loyal kingdom. It seems Reborn has a terrible mail service due to the acidic lake, lack of an airport, and the now recently ruined train lines. I had to find an adventurer willing to take these letters across the Tourmaline Desert to a more civilized land. I had to send a second one due to the first vanishing a few days before he was scheduled to arrive in a civilization. 

My renewed confidence from my conversation with Amaria had begun to diminish and I realized two things. The first was I had no clue what to say or do to convince Prinplup to return. The second was I had no idea other than an inkling of where Catherine would be. As I walked over the bridge, I heard a musical cry and turned my head. Bard was staring directly at me and Catherine was turning away from the water.
unknown.png?width=486&height=375
She hopped down and started to walk away. I ran after her, not going to let her get away. "Wait Catherine, come back! Wait!" She paused huffed before waddling on again. "Catherine... I, err, I made an error, okay." I was forced to swallow all my pride to say that. "I made an error, I, I am sorry for, that." In truth, I only knew my mistake had to do with the Scrafty somehow. Catherine seemed to roll her eyes before walking into a Obsidia. It seemed she had a destination to get to. We entered the Pokémon Center and I could hear some old lady crying in the corner about her son. Grace nudged me and pointed to her. It seemed she wanted me to help a commoner. Had she gone mad? The look in her eyes was determined, though, and so I went over to the lady.

"Hello miss, may I help you with anything?"
"You- you haven't seen a boy about yay high wandering around anywhere, have you? My poor son was separated from me and I- If anything were to happen to him, I don't know what I would do."
"I'll keep an eye out for him."
"You will? Thank you! Tell when you find him to come here." I was only doing this for Catherine. She wanted me to help the peasantry it seemed. As long as I seemed like I was trying to help, things would go well. How was I supposed to find this child anyway? I was already looking for a sword, but a child too? Did everyone have to make me find their lost items? I set out and wandered about until I saw a kid crying in front of the Glamzonia Salon. I walked up to him. "Hey, what are you crying for?"
"M-m- My Mother is gone!" He sobbed some more. I guess I had gotten lucky it was him. It surprised me to have found the kid so quickly "I think I know where your mother is. She's worried sick about you."
"Really?"
"Oh yes. I can take you too her." The two of us set off back to the Pokémon center to reunite this split mother-son duo.
"Thank you! Thank you so much! I owe you something I feel like. Here, take this ability capsule. I hadn't needed it anyway." "Thanks." I strode off. People gave me things. It was one of the perks of nobility. It was also a daily occurrence. 

As I walked out, Catherine pointed at a vine rapidly and Bard started to hack at it. It took me a moment but I got the message. They wanted me to fix the plants. I sighed under my breath and looked for someone to help. I found Florinia and Amaria together.
"Oh Hello Regulus."
"Yes. Greetings again."
"Hello."
"We were waiting for you before we were going to start. Did you find your Prinplup?" She dared bring that up here? She brought up a mutinous ally here, where anyone could hear about my almost failure. They would completely defame me if people spread false rumors about my Pokemon mutinying.
"Let's talk about it another time. But yes, Catherine is back with me."
"That's good to hear. If anything like this happens again or you have water type troubles, come get me. I guess we should get back to the mission. These trees are blocking the way, but they can just be Cut down." I got passed a disk labeled Cut. "That should do the trick. Mind leading the way?" I chose not to, it was natural for me to stay back. A noble couldn't risk strike, lest he throw his followers into an uproar. The duo walked past the now fell tree and rounded behind a large hedge. I could swear I heard them scream a moment later. Upon rounding the corner I saw a black beret wearing man and my two companions all tangled up and ensnared in vines. The man seemed to be talking to himself.
unknown.png?width=483&height=375
"I told you they would be here soon. If you had made this machine go faster.... No! Tangrowth wouldn't be able to take anymore! The speed has already been optimized. Be glad the Pokemon was able to capture these two girls."
"Speaking of girls, could you release them? Otherwise I won't have to murder your project. And it would be wise to address your guest." I drew out my blade.
"Only three of you entered? We expected more. Three is easy to deal with. Um, it might be more polite if we introduce ourselves. I'm-- You don't need to do so Lumi. Needlessly at that! However, I am Zero. I am Eve. Collectively we are referred to as ZEL. We're not going to let you touch the Pulse!"
"Okay, I am going to question your sanity mentally, so pardon me. I would rather you just unhook your project then force me to disable it. The gardeners and you would have far less hassle to deal with. That would be nice. It would give those gardeners a break. All the growth is a result of the machine. And Eve built it all by herself. Isn't she a genius!"
"Uh.... certainly. She did a... nice job, I guess. Now can you just nicely and quickly release those two girls and unhook the Tangrowth? Oh, and I am not asking, I am ordering you too"

"Uh, y-you don't have t-to b-be rude about i-it. M-maybe I can just if Zero-- Lumi! Stop fraternizing with the enemy! If you give away  any secrets, then... Zero, stop frightening the poor girl. Lumi, please take care to not reveal anything. You haven't done a thing wrong, the request is simply a precaution. It is correct though, I made the Pulse machine. The Link System is a simple hybridization amplification mechanic." I had a feeling Florinia would love Eve, if she was a real person and not just a figment if this lunatic's personality. What was his deal anyway? I think it was a he anyway. It better not be something like Cain. His voice was masculine, but his actions were erratic. The choice of outfit didn't help the gender identity confusion either. I suddenly snapped back into focus as Zel's voice took on a more dramatic and he started staring intently at me and the machine. "...it can turn even the smallest foot into an arbor wrecking ball. Think you can face it?" In a flash of green, dozens of vines shot forward before me and Berlioz.

unknown.png?width=469&height=376

Pulse Tangrowth 1

Spoiler

Berlioz nimbly ran in and started to lure them out and I manually had to chop the vines away with my blade. This sword was not meant for such a task. Berlioz let out a long screech before striking at and flailing at the vines ensaring him and starting to choke him. This was not going like I thought. I dove to the ground as move vines attacked me before sending out Stali. With a recently learned technique, embers flew from Stali's heels as he charged the vines. I got to work on the slow task of fighting off more vines and trying to hack away at the ones choking Berlioz. The flames were not as potent as I would have liked and Stali went down ensnared by vines. I returned him to his Pokeball before the vines could block me. I was running out of options. I sent out Bard, who let out a vicious cry. A sweep of his blade like arms hacked away at the Tangrowth's vines. I managed to free Berlioz enough to release him, but proceeded to find myself batting away and slicing dozens upon dozens of vines. With another slash, the Tangrowth's vines exploded outward in its final moments. It ensnared me and Bard and we could not even break free. The vines had crushing force behind them and I almost thought I felt something break before they suddenly went limp and fell at our feet.

"Next time, rather then showing off our missions keystone, let's fight with our own Pokémon.I'm sorry Tangrowth, I should have intervened. Stop yelling at me! You said this machine was supposed to make it stronger. Your misjudgment was the key factor. Regardless, with Tangrowth incapacitated, the malignant growth will now regress." Definitely another Florinia, but maybe one with social skills. "So it's all going back to normal?" "Correct. So th-" I yawned loudly.
  "Are you all going to ramble on still or are you planning on leaving any time soon?"
"Regulus, right? Don't think this is over." In a flash he disappeared. Amaria regained herself and walked off after the vines let go of her and Florinia told me I was expected to challenge her gym. As I walked through the park, I tripped on a vine and came face to face with a Slakoth. They were exceptionally slothful and lazy Pokémon, but they became monsters in the battlefield when they evolved so I caught her. I named her Mel, after the great Lord Melbourne.

I decided to make sure the few commoners I saw out were okay, if only to appear like I cared to Catherine. I entered the Day Care, only for the two working there to act increasingly suspicious the longer I stayed. I put a hand on my sword the instant they started singing and revealing themselves as Team Meteor. They revealed to have locked up the original daycare couple. They claimed to have hid the key and seemed a little off balance when I revealed I had a key to a warehouse. It was left in the aftermath of the Tangrowth fight so I took it. I ran back to where I remembered warehouses, the Coral Ward. It unlocked one of the many warehouses there. The old duo was in there and said that team meteor likely kept the Pokémon in another warehouse. Unable to find the remaining Pokémon, I ventured into the Onyx Ward. I gave a girl some info about what happened to the Day Care Couple and she gave me an egg. I already had one, two was going to be a burden. I took it regardless. As I secured the egg safely, Berlioz leapt out of her Pokeball and ran down the street. With a cry I ran after her, into the building of a brightly colored casino. I scooped her up and took the 900 something coins she had picked off the floor. These people really needed to be more careful. I was about to leave when I figured I would check out the prizes to see if anything of quality was worth my coins. I noted a prideful Nidoran with some definite spirit in his eyes looking at me. That was the look of a king who knew he could fight and was superior, one who bided his time in waiting. He was worth 3000 coins. I took to the slot machine's and having found I wasted more coins then I gained, moved on to Voltorb Flip. It was a minefield game if which I had no doubt Julia would enjoy. A short time later, I had my needed coins. So what if Berlioz and Stali helped a little. I had my proud Nidoran, Mussoli, named after a proud solider who led his people as king.
unknown.png?width=491&height=376
Mussoli evolved into a proud Nidorino soon afterimage.png.90976decc13ec88e4be0743852e07a96.png

Onyx was a small Ward with only the Trainer School and Arcade to note. I hadn't a coin case, so I wouldn't be able to secure the paltry coins I had left over from earning Mussoli. I walked into the school, which doubled as a gym, only to run into a familiar green haired incompetent trainer. "Regulus. A little birdie told me you were coming to challenge my sister. But see, I know you, Regulus."
"Do you really know me?"
"Shut up. You do t deserve to challenge her."
"Deserve. I deserve it all right. I am from the upper class, nobility, I know I deserve it. Stand aside."
"Your not good enough to beat her, you might claim to be upper class, but your just weak. I'm not going to let you in. Trey, tell the other kids to lock Regulus out." Fern backed away and I drew my sword and lunged, only for it to hit a metal gate. I would have to get in another way. A few gusty kids battled me, but most steered clear after getting a look of my blade. Smart kids. As I beat up the few kids who interfered, something interesting happened. Grace stood stick still in the battlefield, opened her bud, and exploded in a shower of petals and light. In her place stood a proud prideful Roselia. Grace had evolved
image.png.a7a6a5cd827846c010b731b5e11e9f9b.png
. Further in the school was Fern himself. "Sigh. Those kids can't do anything right, can they?"
"They did a good job of yielding to me."
"Exactly. They are pathetic. They yielded to you of all people. Look, Regulus, really, don't take it personally, your just a loser. Plain and simple."
"And your just a cowardly weak commoner."
"I don't think you understand I'm doing you a favor. This way you don't have to embarrass yourself in our gym. And you won't even thank me."
"You should be the one thanking me, lowblood."
"And there you go acting like the superior being again. When will you learn that the real top dog here is me!
"Maybe when you learn some respect I will acknowledge anything of yours which is to note. Meaning nothing except your arrogance." Fern reached for a Pokeball and my hand instinctively flew to Catherine's.
image.png.7804bc65fc46b3d1710e821825298b4b.png
Spoiler

First up to bat was Fern's Sandile. Luckily, fate had steered me  right and led me to Catherine. The Sandile fell after a single bubble. It was a truly wretched creature.

Out next came his Roselia. The clown didn't realize Stali had leach seed and ended up boosting his stats by accident. Stali quickly paralyzed the Roselia. From there Stali steadily gained speed as he flame charged his way to victory. Of course, the Roselia's first poison sting had poisoned him. The Roselia was taken out and out came the accursed brat's Dartrix. He landed one hit on the Dartrix before succumbing to the poison and the owl's nature powered tri attack. I sent Berlioz out, whose Fake Out worked supremely. She got off a screech before getting cut short in the middle of a second one. Her purpose had still been served well enough in weakening the Bird's defenses. Bard was sent out and a powerfully decisive strike struck the bird down. It looked like my Kriketune hated the green haired commoner as much as I did.

I drew my blade to encourage him to move aside. Catherine squawked at me and I reluctantly stopped my advance. It seemed she didn't like my sword. Maybe it just didn't fit her tastes. Fern decided to speak. "Your infuriating really. You think you're SO cool just because your doing the whole gym league thing."
"I don't actually care about the league. I have my own motives for being here. "
"Of course you do. You get to be fucking enigmatic on top of all your snobbishness. While guess what, Regulus? Two can play at the League challenge. If a second rate trainer like you can do it, it should be no problem for me to sweep the Reborn League."
"First off, you got a few facts wrong. A: I am not a snob, I take offense to such an accusation. I am simply a superior being surrounded by commoners. B: Have you kept a running tally yet? I beat you once when I started my journey here. I beat you again today after clearing out each and every one of your lackies, You really need to learn some talent, respect, and tact if you are going to be some super talented prodigy like you think you are."
"And that too! You always have to have the last word, dontcha. Now excuse me, I have places to go. Later, Loser!"
"Farewell and good riddance, common pest." Fern turned. "See! You just did it again!"

Fern had left, so I had free passage into my long awaited gym battle with Florinia. I walked into the room and was surprised to find a large patch of sand as the arena. I had thought Florinia would use a more organic field. A large bleacher on the side of the room was packed with students anxious to get a good grade on some research paper. "Welcome Regulus."
"Y"Likewise Florinia." "Your assistance in meteor-related affairs is appreciated, however, that alone fails to merit the appropriation of a badge."
"I thought as much."
"In order to determine eligibility for badge ownership, further testing is required. Do not mistake the impartial applications of this test as unthankfulness. It is simply procedure. Accordingly, let us begin. Audience, please take note of the standerd battle procedure. Hypothesis: Subject possess insufficient data for conclusive results. Expected Outcome: Failure."
image.png.ba9a0a1b8ea53ec78fe401e888c867cf.png
image.png.352dddfb17cbd943cb70f2626e3f9e22.png

Spoiler

A Maractus appeared spontaneously on the field, facing against Bard. A fierce blow almost took out the Maractus completely, but it survived barely and shot spikes out across the field. Florinia wasted a super potion healing the dancing cactus which fell to Bard's next strike. I saw the incoming Feroseed and reluctantly sent out Stali to handle it. The thin layer of spikes dug into his hooves. As Stali erupted in flames and charged, the Feroseed seemed to become lighter and its steel shell seemed to harden. A veritable wall of sand arose around it.

A wall of sand erupted and Stali and began to swirl chaoticly around him. The barbs of the iron pod left jagged marks along Stali's flank. With a suicidal charge of courage, Stali charged into the Feroseed, taking them both out.

Out came her Breloom next and Bard was sent out in retalation. He let out a fierce swipe before its spores made him too drowsy to fight. Grace was sent out and sat for a good minute absorbing the roots energy. She made Florinia waste another super potion. Eventually, Grace mega drained the Breloom to unconsciousness. 

Out came a Cottonee, and thinking I could use types to my advantage, I sent out Mussoli. Mussoli got out one hit before being utterly ensared in sand. I was forced to use a super potion on him after he missed the second strike.

The Cottonee missed one attack, allowing Mussoli to take it out.

Mussoli got one attack out on the Cacnea sent out before being taken out by a sand tomb. Throwing caution to the wind, I sent out Catherine to peck away at the little bulb's health. It released a powerful volley of needles which barely left Catherine standing. It took one more hit before it could move. Now it was time for Florinia to send out her ace in the hole, Cradily. I decided to have Catherine harden her claws like metal for her final attack against it. She fell afterwards. I immediatley sent out Berlioz, who faked it out. It then smacked down two vines, which caused enough sand to rise into a sandstorm. All the while, Berlioz let out two distinctive screeches. The Cradily shot a strong rock at Berlioz, who countered with a strong cut that did a subpar amount of damage. Knowing my cat would not survive long, I ordered her to do a feint attack. Unhappy with what I had to do, I sent out Bard. The Cradily used this time to stockpile energy from the roots beneath her. Bard woke up after the second long minute of energy storing and finished the fight with a strong hard slash.

The plant was down, I had won! Florinia returned her team and I did likewise. She waited for the students to quiet down. "Challenger remains due to receive Canopy Badge." She passed me the badge and the TM  for Nature Power. Considering what she did with it, I would covet this item. "Nature Power's effect varies based on the terrain and field in which it is used. To use it effectively, one must exercise proper knowledge and understanding, a staple of an effective trainer. Use it wisely. Where do you intend to go now?"

"The whole city, wherever the thieves who stole from me lurk."
"And what are the parameters of your search? It would be unwise to search the whole city."
"I have too, I don't know where it could be."
"Receiving an audience with a contact who knows the city would be wise. I might know where you should look, if you provide the necessary details about this misplaced object. " She was persistent, wasn't she.
"It was an old heirloom, a sword passed down through my family. I doubt you've seen it." "The memory of a sword is not present except for one Titania Andersen. She has not stolen yours. The Lapis Ward seems like a veritable choice for your expedition." How did she know Titania was not a thief? I had to assume that the two knew each other due to being leaders or perhaps Florinia was covering for a friend.

"I have a favor to ask for this information. I cannot stray far from this school and, as you no doubt know, Jasper and Beryl Wards have been ransacked by the same machination as Obsidia. However, whereas we caught Obsidia in a budding state, we were not so fortunate with those wards. I have to ask you to see if you can stop the source of this machination, considering your the only one seemingly capable of doing it."
"No. I am not doing it. I did not come here to play hero. I came here to beat the league, or at least to a certain point, get my heirloom and leave. I don't want to be part of counter-terrorism plots or train bombings or fighting off deadly plants."
"But you want to get into Lapis and take on the league, do you not? Use these Meteor-terrorists as a boost in strength."

"If the sword is not in Lapis, then I am afraid the officers will not let you into another Ward that is not Peridot or Obsidia. They already don't trust you and considered denying you access into Obsidia. Doing this will earn you enough respect to let you roam about freely enough. You will become strong enough to ascertain your victory."

"Becoming stronger would be great, but I can simply get past the officers if the need arises. I cannot be roped into doing this task that I am not meant to do. I don't care about all of these people, they are commoners, peasants." Bard, who had been listening this whole time, walked over beside Florinia and began chittering loudly and waving his arms about.

"This insect seems to disagree with your stance on this matter. Your Prinplup does too, if circumstantial assumptions are to be written as true"

"Stay out of that! I order you to forget about that. Now, Bard, we are not here to be big heroes who fight the criminal terrorists. We have our own criminals to fight. We are not a white knight on a horse like some Prince Charming. We are mere nobles, it is better not to meddle in common affairs." Bard chittered again. I was not about to get strong-armed into playing the hero in some foreign ghetto I didn't care about. 

"Looks like your Kriketune is on the verge of mutiny. I advise you fight against Meteor so you don't lose a competant ally. It would be a shame for that to happen again."
"What!? What are you talking about. Bard has been here with me the whole time."
"Subject has incriminated himself... Your reaction made it obvious to everyone that mutiny had happened. It is a flaw of emotions"
I sighed and shook my head before returning Bard to his Pokeball. He did not strongarm me into this, he had no power to, being a commoner and a Pokemon. I came to this conclusion myself. "Fine. I will play along with your plan for some pointless glory. I do this of my own accord. After this is done, leave me alone unless you find my sword."
 "I shall try to comply with your requests, although I can not guarantee that the circumstances will allow them to be kept. You may be in your way after I download the data I recorded from Tangrowth into your Pokegear," She pulled out a USB and put it in the device, "Now farewell."
"Likewise."
Regulus's Opinions
Spoiler

Florinia: 4/10: She dared bring up Catherine and Bard's actions and I know she convinced Bard to try to stand against me briefly. I don't know how she did it, but I am starting to lose trust in her. Her lack of emotions is just odd. That and she tried to pull me into a fight I don't care about. Like it was her decision. I held all the power there, not her. Regrettably, I have to give her some approval. She fought in an interesting way for a Grass Leader. 

Amaria: unchanged. Amaria helped me. Or at least acted like she did. I just acted that way to gain her sympathy.  Pity can go a long way. I am capable, trust me. I didn't need her help. I didn't. She brought the issue up in front of Florinia, but Amaria is one of those people you can't stay mad at. 

Fern: 0/10: Who does this kid think he is?! He is an insolent brat hiding behind his sister's talent. I doubt those kids locked me out due to his influence. It was probably Florinia's influence that he abuses. I will cut him down if he causes a slight against me, an ally, or if he poses a threat. I might just do it anyway. 

Zel: 3/10. I feel pity for him. Or her. He is clearly confused. But he is an enemy. I will not tolerate enemies.

• 3 weeks later...

Confident and happy from beating Florinia, I strode out of the Trainer's School. I checked my map to learn I had to travel through the North Obsidia Ward to get to Lapis, where I stood a strong chance of finding my sword apparently. Unfortunately, I soon found out I could not get into the Lapis Ward due to the North Obsidia Ward being closed. Apparently Florinia didn't have as much sway there due to being from Onyx and the lack of plant growth threatening the ward. Figuring I would take her advice and prove myself, I headed off for the Jasper Ward.

I had thought Obsidia was a mess. It was a mess, in regards to all the massive chasms about it, but not the same as in the way Jasper was. Plant life crawled about the area and looked like it had started to reclaim buildings in some spots. One lone Meteor Grunt who looked vaguely familiar stood in an alleyway and I confronted him promptly. He didn't reveal his purpose there.

The ward was very much a ghost town and wild bugs crawled about and absolutely littered the streets. Mel, my Slakoth I was training, evolved murdering one of these bugs. Gone was the lazy Slakoth, now was the hyper energetic Vigoroth.

image.png.c90f59f7609b30cc71bea08781e0b875.png

He could finally pull his own weight. I decided to leave Stali to rest a while to train him up. As I explored, I can remark on one thing I certainly learned. Nothing is more terrifying then encountering a swarm of Beedrill in a gloomy ill-lit run down building littered with rubbish to trip over,

At a certain point, the Ward simply gave out and led me into a place where the spotty reception on my Pokegear told me was called Malchous Forest. I turned back for a moment to dodge a swarm of patrolling Beedrill by diving into a blue building. It was the Police Station. An old man looked at me funny, before walking over and cautiously extending a hand. I took it. "Greetings. I am the Chief of the Reborn City Police Department. Are you alright? You gave me quite a shock to see you barrel through the opened door."

"I'm fine. I saw a Beedrill patrol outside and decided to take shelter here."

"I see. As you may know, we are chronically understaffed as of late. More than a few of our officers have gotten lost in the forests and it has become a hassle to try to find them. We know a few of them our living due to picking up an emergency transmission."

Just then, another officer came in, out of breath. “Hello chief, is this? It is. Sir, this is the young man we informed you about. He helped Miss Florinia over in Obsidia and Peridot."

"Ahh, perfect, perhaps you could help us. The previous officers who went missing, there are about five of them. Get them back here if at all possible." As much as I wish I could have, I couldn't say no here. The police would potentially be a good ally and could maybe organist search parties for the lost heirloom had I enough sway and then enough manpower. I reluctantly agreed and went out of the building and back into the forest.

The first officer I found relatively easily in a decrepit apartment building and stumbled upon meteor grunts both there and in the forest. I cleared my way through the overgrown mess and stopped multiple times to have Berlioz chop away at vines and small deadly saplings. I felt bad standing back, but my sword would be of no use here. Eventually, I hopped down a ledge and fell into a hollow and faced one familiar Pulse Tangrowth. A light brown haired boy with a scarf stood guard.

"Hey there." The stranger spoke. "I figured you'd show up eventually, come on." Weary, I drew my blade and advanced. "I am not about to walk into some foolish trap."

"I thought you came here for this thing. Seems I was right. It's a real shame huh. Tangrowth's caused a lot of damage in both lives and homes. My name's Taka, what's yours?"

"Why are we being so civil? Step aside or get cut down, Taka. The name of your assailant is Regulus."

"Regulus, not a bad name. Zel told me of your exploits in Obsidia. Don't cut me down, man, I'm just stuck doing my job, same as you. You might have beat Zel, but how familiar are you with the Pulse Project, really?

"I know it is one of your abominations, rat."

"Pokemon Ultimation Link System Exaggerata- Basically it morphs the Pokemon and amplifies its power. So any old Pokemon can become super-charged. All the destruction in Jasper is because of this machine here."

"Are you going to keep talking, or will we fight. I'm getting tired of your stalling."

"Let me finish, would you? It seems destroying a whole city section has put a pretty massive strain on Tangrowth. You know, part of me just wants to be nice and set this thing free. That'd be nice, right?"

"So do exactly that then. Free it now. The chaos stops, my blade stops moving towards your neck, you live we all go about our merry way. I don't want to be here longer then I have to."

"Likewise. Unfortunately, I have orders to the contrary."

"I out rank your commander, you follow my orders. Now leave."

"He wouldn't see it the same way. After all, I am with Team Meteor. One of my orders is to eliminate you, though. Please don't take it too personally.

image.png.1baad3d6a4da86dbce5d4370d57a9ef0.png

Taka decided to battle, the fool didn’t know who he was messing with.

Spoiler

He sent out Execute, I sent out Bard to counter and scramble those eggs. It was a slaughter.

A Chatot came out and Bard unleashed a decent Fury Cutter before falling.

Out next came Mussoli, who fell after failing to attack.

Berlioz performed a nasty fake out and Feint Attack before surviving a Chatter. He got off one more while Taka used a super potion. He failed his next strike and went down.

Catherine was sent out and after missing the first hit and surviving a Chatter, launched a powerful Bubblebeam. I had to use a Super Potion to keep her alive. Luckily, Catherine managed the next hit and took down the annoying parrot.

Out came the monstrous Pulse Tangrowth, Not knowing what to do, Catherine let out a Bubble Beam. She fell instantly to the harsh vines.

Out came Mel, who let out a yawn, survived a Mega Drain, and used Amnesia

He unfortunately fell

As the Tangrowth remained asleep, Grace used two Growths before letting out a decent Giga Drain

It woke on the second one and used Growth

It used a powerful acid spray and I knew I was done, especially after its stat boost.

Grace somehow survived another Acid Spray as the Tangrowth was down to its last few hit points.

Taka sighed as the Pulse Tangrowth breathed its last and fell in an explosion of vines and plant life. "Well that's over. You know, Jasper might slowly return to normal, but there’s another machine like this up in Beryl. It's not really my place to say it, but you might want to check it out."

"Why? So you can plan an ambush? Why are you telling me this?"

"Common courtesy? I don't really know. Oh well, peace." He leapt off the small ledge before I could try to detain him. With one Tangrowth gone, I decided to try to look for the entrance to Beryl or preferably find a Pokemon Center. Grace was on her last legs.

Upon chasing after the now gone Meteor Admin, I stumbled into a young pink haired child. She said the first words. "Just what do you think you're even doing?"

"Nothing that concerned you. Simply searching for the entrance to Beryl."

"Well don't alright. I was going to mess up those Meteor jerks myself. It's not even fair! I FINALLY got away from my dad so I could go stop the bad guy-- And he wouldn't even let me do that! He never lets me go anywhere! What kind of father doesn't let his daughter go out to beat up bad guys!?"

"Let's see... a mature, reasonable man who values his daughter's life. Reborn City is not a safe place to roam, especially not with Meteor around. Go home, stay safe. Stay out of my way. I have an appointment to make in Beryl."

"Don't go to Beryl! There's another one of those machines there!"

"That's why you should stay out of it. Wouldn't want some protective father chasing after me." "I'm going to blow up that machine myself, so stay out of it!"

"I am trying to ascertain your safety. Don't be stupid."

"I won't. I'm not the stupid one here. Now, Salamence, let's go."

The pink haired child called out a Salamence and flew off. Maybe I was wrong. She owned a Salamence, she might be fine. But it could simply be her father's Salamence. She's a child, she doesn't truly know the intricacies of battle after all. If that Salamence got knocked out, she would be helpless.

I had thought that Jasper was a mess, but it was clearly obvious I was not prepared for Beryl. The bridge was surprisingly clean, but it was a challenge to even move anywhere else in the Ward. All the plants kept popping up and lunging out for me among the cracked sidewalks that were utterly overgrown.

As I progressed further east, the buildings quickly disappeared and left me in a veritable jungle.

As I slashed vines and trees out of the way, I felt a creeping sensation tingle my spine. I kept trading forward. The grass slowly started to feel different as I walked. It gained a less natural, stiffer texture; like fake grass. I took another step and plummeted into unconsciousness.

I awoke in a well-constructed wooden cage staring at my captors, two Nuzleaf.

They walked off and left me to starve in the wooden cage, despite my demands to be released. Hopefully they simply were deciding not to help me because they didn't understand me. It was preferable to sadistic Nuzleaf.

As if summoned by a bad situation, a smug green haired rat named Fern casually strolled up to the cage, had the audacity to stare me dead in the eye, laugh, and leave.

He came back moments later

"Sorry about that Regulus. I just had to step away for a moment to keep myself from bursting with laughter. Seeing you trapped in that cage looking so helpless, it is truly ironic and fitting."

"Shut up! You are just a measly rat! Probably orchestrated this whole thing."

"Me? No. I don't have time to worry about how to catch small fry like you." Unfortunately, he didn't see me pull my blade out as he was gloating. By some grace of God, he managed to sidestep my lunge and back out of my confined range. "Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. That's no way to act around your superiors. Haven't you learned yet? You really should take a lesson in class."

"You are really getting on my nerves at this point. Free me and I might consider sparing you later on the road."

"Hmm, let me see..... Nope. Feel free to rot in a wooden cage. I might be more considerate if you begin to beg."

"I would never bow down to you in a million years, rat. You deserve none of my respect. If you won't free me, get out of my sight instantly."

"Well it looks like you are determined. Fine by me. Feel free to rot." With those words, he turned around a walked away. The dumb rat had been smart enough to stay out of my blade's reach the whole time.

I fustily swung my blade against the cage, not caring that it wasn't how it was meant to be used. Nothing changed. Bard, Mel, Mussoli, and the rest of my team amazingly did nothing against the strength of the cage. It seemed the Nuzleaf were indeed master craftsman. ]]

Fern was nowhere to be seen afterwards. I kept a close eye on everything as I continued my jungle trek. Eventually I entered the Ward again, fought some pesky Meteor rats, stopped in a dilapidated Library to catch my breath, fought more grunts, and lastly came across two familiar faces along with a third unknown person, whose face was hidden beneath a hood.

"You." Zel stated "Hey there" Taka tried being friendly. The final person just stood there a moment before turning and saying, "What is it now?"

Taka answered his question, "The trainer who defeated the Pulse in Jasper. I invited him here to take care of this one too."

zEl: "Regulus also is responsible for the elimination of the Jasper Pulse too."

The hooded figure spoke up, "Ah, that's you. An ally cat parading as a tiger. Heroism is vainglory. But don't worry, I know only dream. You haven't experience the cruel taste of reality yet.”

At that I drew my sword, "An ally cat? You compare me to the lowest of the low. I can forgive you once, a member of Team Meteor clearly wouldn't be sophisticated enough to know me." The hooded figure opened his mouth to retort with what was likely some asinine comment when a roar practically shattered my ear drums as a Salamence with the pinkette from before arrived on scene. Could she not tell this was a dangerous time to be here?

Kindly enough. Zel, or maybe it was Evelyn? took the time to inform me that the pink haired child was named Heather, and that she was the daughter of the Beryl Ward Leader. "Heather, what are you doing here?! This is an unsafe place for children incapable of fighting."

"What does it look like I am doing, stopping evil people. Duh. I can fight with my Salamence."

I walked over to her instantly. "And what if your dragon gets taken down? How long have you had that dragon anyway?"

"My whole life. Salamence is strong, she won't go down easily. No one could take her down!" "Except for any ice type ever. It only takes one strong shot to take your Salamence down. And what then? You can't fight."

"Just watch me. Stay out of my way, I don't have time to add you to my list of people in danger."

By this point, the hooded man walked over. He seemed to have overheard some of the conversation. "This boy, if inexperienced with reality, is right. Leave. Now. This is not a safe place for children. You are not a target."

"What! Why am I not a target!? I am the strongest battler here."

"And the most inexperienced. You will learn that life is cruel, that strength is not everything, and things are not so black and white. This is not some game. Leave, child. Now." Heather came up with the most brilliant retort her young mind could ever have thought up, "Make me."

The Salamence roared and the hooded man pulled out a Pokeball. I dived away as the flash of light that came from the Pokeball and I could feel heat suddenly erupt in the space behind and above me. A Crobat and Salamence were engaged in combat, with the Salamence alternating between blue flames, red fire, and a beam of blue energy.

A boot nudging my side drew me back to reality. Taka stepped back, ceased nudging me, and offered a hand to help me up. I swung my blade at it but Taka retracted it faster than my swing traveled. I pulled myself up. "Man, I try to be genuine and I almost lose my hand. I was going to let you stand up before we fought. You still have the Tangrowth after all."

"His statement is correct. The Tangrowth is still a threat to all not on our side. We have taken measures to ensure your death." "E-eve? Does he have t-to d-die? He seems nice." "Yes, this clown's death is needed. Now shut up Lumi!"

"Must you be so harsh Zel? Try to be positive, I've heard it is pretty nice. But, yeah. I guess we have to fight now. Sorry about all of this Regulus. You probably know how orders are better than anyone."

"Stop stalling Taka. Just kill this aristoclown already."

"What did you just call me?!"

"Calm down, I really don't want this to be worse than it needs to. I guess I should start before Zel has a tantrum? Well then, no hard feelings, here we go." The duo sent out their Pokémon. I faked a sword swing at Zel, who calmly sidestepped without distraction.

image.png.0dbf7250c1dd0b4ac6a2f68b07b4bab6.png

Spoiler

As I sent out Mussoli and Bard, Zel and Taka sent out their Glaceon and Execute. Figuring the Glaceon was a threat, and not wanting to go up against Chatot at the moment, I decided to target the Glaceon. It lived a double kick and fury cutter and retaliated with an Icy cold Wind. The Execute tried to send some malignant leaching seeds, but Bard sliced them in half with his arm. The Glaceon saw an opportunity and managed to hit Bard with another Icy Gale. He slashed it apart so Mussoli would be spared before slicing the Glaceon to ribbons. Mussoli missed a set of kicks, but the Execute didn't miss a second round of malign seeds. Berlioz was sent out in replacement of Mussoli, clearing the seeds while Bard slashed the Espeon apart in one fell swoop. The Execute shot seeds at Bard and increased his alarming injuries. Sacrificing tactics for manpower, I left Berlioz alone to expend a super potion of Bard. I simply couldn't risk him falling after four Fury cutters. For a brief moment, an Umbreon faced Bard. It hadn't even moved before he was upon it and slashing it to ribbons. Zel was completely finished off, Taka remained fighting a 2v1 battle. He had enough courage to not back down. I drew Berlioz back so he could use surprise tactics later and sent out Catherine in his place. The Execute simply fainted at the merest glance of Bard's blade. The Chatot came out and made its first order of business Bard's demise. Bard valiantly tried to get another slice in but was stopped just short of it. Catherine peppered the bird with a strong beam of bubbles. I gripped my next ball tightly, Bard's sacrifice in this fight would not go to waste. Even if he was a mere servant, he was a good one. Berlioz came out and used the flash of light from the Pokeball's release to jump on and temporarily stun the Chatot. The Chatot went down and out came the guest of honor in this duel, the Tangrowth.

Berlioz hacked away at the pulsing mass of vines that was Pulse Tangrowth, but if it had any effect, it didn't seem to be shown. Catherine's beak, which should have been strong against the monster, seemed to do nothing.

Berlioz let out a Screech of a war cry and the Tangrowth ensnared Catherine and began to draw her into itself. I retrieved her immediately and desperately. I would not lose her again. And again came out my brave Nidorino, Mussoli. Berlioz's next war cry fell on deaf ears due to the thrashing caused by the Tangrowth's vines. Mussoli charged, determined to make a difference in the battle, and his horn struck true to the Tangrowth very core. Berlioz's next Screech shook the Tangrowth more as Mussoli charged in again. It wasn't over, but it would be soon. Thrashing out from pain, vines reached for Berlioz's weak form. I recalled her before they could reach her. Mel came out instantly and let out a tired, relaxed Yawn. Mussoli struck again and the Tangrowth teetered but stayed upright. It started sapping strength from Mel, who endured it like a champion.

That was when it happened

Taka used a Super Potion on Tangrowth. Fortunately, Yawn kicked in just then and set the Tangrowth to sleep. Mussoli's first horn attack missed due to trying not to wake the sleeping giant hulking mass of plants, but Mel had no caution in comparison. The two's combined strength took it out.

Taka sighed as the Tangrowth went down, "That's not good." The one I assumed to be Eve spoke up next. It surprised me I could figure out which person Zel was deluding as. The harsh one was Zel, the nervous one was Lumi, and Eve was the one who sounded like a social Florina. "The Pulse has been deactivated, there is no use in defending this location any longer." "Well, in that case I'll just make myself scarce. You coming? I might be able to sneak you some of Solaris's Dragon Rush surprise."

"Oh... yeah... um. I guess so... That sounds really nice... Just, um... it needs to be sweeter this time, I think?" "Oh I can do that, I guess. Well, we'll be off now Regulus. Don't chase after us, you really don't want to tonight of all nights." Zel threw a smoke bomb down and when the smoke cleared, the two were gone.

The hooded agent was still there, fighting Heather. It currently seemed to have hit a stalemate. The Crobat was too acrobatic to get hit by Heather's wild flames, but it couldn't get close enough to do damage because of them. He seemed to sigh like a man beaten before commenting. "So they ran off." His Crobat dove downwards, the figure jumped off while it was near the ground, and began evasive procedures. "Crobat, Return." The agent simply ran off, much to Heather's surprise. She returned her Salamence and sped off after him. Determined not to let a mouse parading as a rat, for he called me an ally cat parading as a tiger, get away, I ran off after him. He didn't run far. Heather and a group of officers I recognized from all over the Ward completely surrounded him. It seems the recent battles bought enough time for them to regroup themselves. The Chief walked forward and spoke up. "You are surrounded. You have nowhere to go." The figure stared him dead in the eye I think, it was hard to tell if he did due to my angle behind him. "Tch. An ambush? The grunts were supposed to detain all of you."

"Oh they did. We just happen to be a lot more resourceful when a certain miscreant helps. Oh, Regulus. Good to see you alive. We exonerate you from a potential wrongdoing with that sword for the time being." The figure whirled around and pure malice dripped like venom from his voice. "You." The chief, flanked by two officers, approached the figure. "Now, let's see who you really are." The figure tried to struggle, but the officers pulled his hood off to reveal a middle aged man with bags under his eyes, a wrinkled forehead, and spikey purple hair. What Heather said next took me completely by surprise.

image.png.30c95c56d4a341b977c8ddc9df87fc84.png

"DAD!?" The agent was the girl's father? No wonder he didn't want her out, it would have messed with his plans. It could have revealed him to be her father earlier. He sighed and a tone of resentment and resignation filled his voice, "You just had to do this in front of her."

"I knew you were a jerk, but I didn't think you would be this evil. I- I can't. Goodbye. Salamence! Let's go!" She pulled out the ball containing her dragon and I thought I saw a tear drop down into the grass as she clambered on the back and it took off.

"Well then. This is easier if she isn't here."

His voice took me out of my shocked state. "Don't you even care about her?" My sword was out at this point. "Don't you even care about what you made your daughter see? You just changed her life forever."

"Do I care? Do I really seem like I don't?" The chief spoke up.

"Why Corey? Why would you, a gym leader of all things, do this?"

"Heh. Don't take too much stock in authority. Welcome to reality. It's cruel. It's cold. It. Is. Life." "Wait, you mean there are others?"

"It would be stupid to think otherwise. Not everything is nice and simple. Your wonderland is a crack-dream." All of the officials I met, could they be helping Corey? Could Florinia be leading me into a trap by suggesting Lapis? Could I trust anyone here?

"Big words for where you’re going."

"Are they? You have done nothing here. All you did was unmask a father before his daughter. You showed her what all girls eventually learn-pain. And that's all. You want to apprehend me? I'll be waiting at my gym. Regulus, I hope you’re happy with this. Welcome to reality ally cat. It doesn't play by your rules or mine. It just plays until there is nothing left to play with. I expect you at my gym."

Almost as if a ghost, he began to blur before a cloud of gas filled the area. In the confusion, he escaped. "We know it's a trap, but we know he will be there. We can't afford to let him go." The officers marched off towards where his gym was.

I followed them a little distance behind, wondering what I had done. I had just unmasked a father before his daughter, I had just torn away any respect she had for family. Why? Why would he do this?

As I entered the gym, the police officers quickly tried to accost me, which the Chief explained was a result of Corey's poison gas leaving adverse effects on their minds. I pushed past them and entered the back room, which appeared to be an apartment. Corey stood in the back of it, staring at the wall, a picture of someone in his hand. He was talking to himself, but stopped when he heard me approach. He didn't turn around.

"So you found me after all." He turned around and I began to wish he hadn't. His tired, worn face, was etched with an expression of cold, unyielding hatred. Sadness loomed behind his eyes. HIs voice was pure malice and regret mixed together "First you destroyed all three of the Pulse-Tangrowth systems I oversaw. Then you revitalize the City Police Department, causing them to ambush me. And out me in front of my own daughter. And now, what have you come for? My badge, or my blood? I'll return to the arena. We will finish this there." He began to brush past me, but I grabbed his wrist. It felt cold.

"Why? Why did you join them? Why did you terrorize this ghetto?"

"I told you, ally cat, the world is a wretched place. Wretched people live in wretched places. The world is cold, cruel, and heartless. Only such a person would ruin a father before her daughter. I hope misery swallows you up, maybe you will understand then. My arena awaits." He jerked his wrist loose and walked on out.

Corey stood at the end of the battle field, staring coldly at the entryway I came from. His voice sounded hollow "Take your place. I will bar nothing. You've forced my hand Regulus. I have nothing left to lose. The only reason I kept going through the years was for Heather. She was my singular denial. My only hope and memory of her... And she may never speak to me again. So when I ask myself why, why did this happen? I came to one conclusion. The blame goes unto you alone. You alone caused her to suffer. I had rebuilt hope, even if it was a small splinter of it. You didn't just take it from me, no. You alley cats took it away, played with it like a rat, before squashing it and fracturing it into irreparable state before everyone. So, allow me to bring you down with me." Gas started to flood the room from the vents and I felt my lungs ache from breathing it in. "Suffer. Maybe then you would understand."

image.png

Spoiler

I coughed and sent out Grace, who seemed at ease in the noxious air. She even started to concentrate her energy for an extended period of time against Corey's Skrelp. The Skrelp seemed more at ease in the fumes then Corey did, and spat searing shots of acid about. I coughed each time. Grace took the initiative and began to drain Skrelp, who just barely survived, eliciting a potion from Corey. It fell the next turn. Up next came a dastardly Skunktank, who Grace warily drained. It spat fire which seemed to rapidly expand in the room. The fumes were really getting to me now, along with the lack of visibility from all the Incinerations.

I heard a shrill shriek and hastily recalled my now burned rose petal. I would not stand to see a lady of my court suffer. The details of the whole ordeal are fuzzy due to the noxious atmosphere, but Mussoli came out next, utterly stomping the Skunktank down. Next up was Corey's ninja-like Crogunk, who struck with frightening quickness and became stronger by the second. So fast was its talent that Mussoli fell shortly before attempting to land a final blow. The Crogunk snuck in one last dastardly hit as I sent the full force of Stali, now a Zebstrika, at him. No ninja talents could save it now.

Stali ran through the upcoming Marianne and Nidorina, falling just short after landing a single blow on Corey's fearsome Crobat. I brought Mel out in hopes of putting the demon to sleep. It wasn't to be had. Mel inhaled for a yawn and began to choke from the air. He was easy prey for the nimble bat. Out came Berlioz, whose newly found Persian speed and strength allowed for a strong fake out. I felt a twinge of regret as I recalled him and brought Catherine out. Sometimes the sacrifice of a leader is needed to ensure everyone's survival. Catherine fell and with that I was able to have Berlioz unleash a final Fake Out, ending the match.

Corey stared blankly at my face before holding his Pokeballs up for a moment and staring at them. He coughed, it seemed the gas was finally getting to him. My lungs felt about ready to explode. "Savor this victory. For after every joy, bitter misery comes running after." The man's eyes filled with sorrow and diluted, tired hatred. He wore the expression of a man who had stopped trying after life kept beating him down. He didn't run anymore, he didn't fight, he just accepted life's cruelty. "You’re not going to end me are you? You certainly could just run me through... I am part of Meteor after all. Do it, run me through. If you can't do that, why bother fighting at all?" My hand went to my blade's handle, but with my lungs burning so much and the gas not starting to affect my mind, my hands shook. I couldn't find the strength left in me to pull it out. Each inhalation added to the pain. I slowly wobbled and shakily began to draw my blade. Family is everything. He had destroyed everything his daughter cared about so easily. He deserved this, he had ridden too many people of their family. He had even done it to his own daughter. He didn't deserve to be run through with my blade, but sacrifices have to be made. I drew my blade and instantly dropped it to my side to lean on it. Why couldn't this damn gas leave?! I saw a shadow slink behind Corey and a strip of a beige that was almost white. It was a beige dusted with light purple and red from blood.

Berlioz sprang out from the shadows behind Corey, claws out and ready to shred the man who had caused so much suffering. I counted the seconds till impact, till blood scattered the floor. Five. Four. Three. Two. One

The bloodshed never came.

Some wicked sense of divine cruelty must have intervened. Corey hunched over coughing at the exact moment claws were supposed to meet flesh. Berlioz harmlessly flew over him. The gas had begun to bring torment to his aged lungs. "Pathetic. You can't even do your own dirty work. You can't even stain your own hands red. And you can't turn me over to the police, no matter how much you want to. After all, I happen to know where your oh so precious sword is. I have a brilliant idea, a most succulent idea, Regulus. Come to Beryl Bridge. Take a victory lap, get a prize. Learn how fleeting joy really is. That, is where I will give you what you've been looking for."

Corey coughed and fumbled with something in his jacket, causing more and more gas to fill the room. He used the cover to make his escape and not even Berlioz's feline eyesight or agility was enough to fight off the gas. I stumbled towards the door, wheezing. The world was spinning and tiny starburst lined and laced my vision. My feet felt like lead bricks. I wheezed and fell. My head ached, my lungs were past burning. They were no longer simply on fire, now someone had doused a pine tree is gasoline and taken to it with a flamethrower. Or a Magmorter. Or a Skunktank. My eyes felt extraordinarily heavy as I laid wheezing on the floor. Berlioz coughed loudly and somewhere above me. I barely registered it. It sounded funny. A cat coughing. It was a neat little sound, somewhere between a hack and a wheeze. It sounded like it had a hairball. I giggled slightly at the thought as my eyes became too heavy to lift up and my temples throbbed.