Spin-off games

Amethyst

• Administrators
I'm sure we've all tried them. Puzzle Challenge, Pinball, TCG4GBC, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger...
Which ones do you like?
Which ones made you scream in frustration as Ivysaur was just about to evolve when you got your second end of ball bonus after playing for like four hours and almost beating "NIN"'s high score?
...*cough* Me? Scream in frustration? Never.

I kinda want to play Hey You, Pikachu again (not that I ever really played it before) to see what it was all about in retrospect.

Pokémon Snap -NEEDS- to make a comeback. That game was so bomb, it made Electrode's explosion look like a splash attack.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon I was boring as hell, but the second series actually was very engaging.
I recommend Explorerers of Sky. It has Vulpix. I like Vulpix.

I lovelovelovelove Pokemon Snap. -has been advocating a sequel/remake to the Wii for years-

I remember Hey You, Pikachu! being fun when I was younger, but when I tried replaying it a few years ago it kinda just made me yell at Pikachu in frustration because it couldn't (or wouldn't, the sneaky devil) comprehend anything I tried to tell it to do. Mom came down a few times when I first started playing it again, trying to figure out what I was shouting at... XD

I loved Puzzle Challenge, too. I think I would play it again if I could remember where it and my GBA were (just kidding, I totally know where it is. It's just a matter of remember what I did with my GBA).

The Pokemon Trading Card Game rocked my socks off. =3 I was a whiz at that game. Man, this totally makes me want to play it again.

Pokemon Pinball...Eh. I have it, and it was alright, but it got as repetitive as most pinball games do these days, unless you're playing them in real life.

Mystery Dungeon... Well, I have it, but I haven't really gotten into it. At all. It kept telling me I was a Skitty. >.>

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='36' date='Jun 2 2010, 05:25 PM']Which ones made you scream in frustration as Ivysaur was just about to evolve when you got your second end of ball bonus after playing for like four hours and almost beating "NIN"'s high score?
...*cough* Me? Scream in frustration? Never.[/quote]
This. SOOOOO annoying. Pokemon Pinball R/S, and even Pokemon Pinball on the GB, were great games. Man, one time I had a fully upgraded ball, and RIGHT before the Rayquaza bonus in PPRS, I lose my ball. TTT.TTT

My highest score on PPRS is on the Sapphire table with 3,119,747,744

[quote name='Lara' post='69' date='Jun 4 2010, 08:09 AM']The Pokemon Trading Card Game rocked my socks off. =3 I was a whiz at that game. Man, this totally makes me want to play it again.[/quote]
This too. When I had that game, you basically would never see it leave my hands. Great game, can't believe they never made any more. It saddens me...

None of the other spin-offs really interested me besides these two.

• Administrators
Actually, there was a second, including the Team Rocket Expansion. It's like PKMNTCG4GBC 2 Team Rocket's Revenge. I have a theory that the longer a game's title's acronym is, the less meritable it probably is, but I think these are the exceptions.
Unfortunately, it was never released in English, nor have I heard of any fanlations. Despite that I have been intending to play it...

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='74' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:51 AM']Actually, there was a second, including the Team Rocket Expansion. It's like PKMNTCG4GBC 2 Team Rocket's Revenge. I have a theory that the longer a game's title's acronym is, the less meritable it probably is, but I think these are the exceptions.
Unfortunately, it was never released in English, nor have I heard of any fanlations. Despite that I have been intending to play it...[/quote]
Oh, I've played that. There is a translation, but it only covers the cards, no dialogue.

I enjoyed pokemon snap quite a lot, too. Re-playing it recently on the wii hasn't really changed that opinion much. it's still just plain silly fun.

pokemon pinball and trading card game were alright, but I don't miss them. (don't expect to see another TCG video game, because that would cut in to the actual card sales why not ).

other than that, I haven't really played anything else. I had hey you pikachu, but I never played it. My younger brother always did.

• Administrators
I wonder about that. As a young child, my interest in the cards and GBC TCG only gained momentum from ricocheting off of each other. That's how it's supposed to work right?

I suppose it's marketed more towards lonely children who have no friends to play real cards against... Although I did.... I wonder what was up with that. Signs of an early introversion. Ah well.

Well hey, Yu-gi-oh card games survived their time despite the bazillion GBA repeat-games that kept popping out like an increase in China's population...

I don't think I'd play a new TCG game for Pokemon though. I really enjoyed it with the original cards, which I also owned and played with, and thus knew a lot about. It wouldn't be as fun with a million cards.

[quote name='Lara' post='85' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:57 PM']Well hey, Yu-gi-oh card games survived their time despite the bazillion GBA repeat-games that kept popping out like an increase in China's population...[/quote]
This, they've regularly released a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game like every year. They're still coming out on the DS. And I'm sure they still sell lots of cards too.

psifanyonewantstoduelmeonyugiohworldchampionship2010...

• 1 month later...
I really love Snap. I really wish they would make a sequel...but it'll never happen.

I also do enjoy the Mystery Dungeon series, kinda. Although...I have always enjoyed the Mystery Dungeon series, and roguelikes in general. So putting Pokemon into a Mystery Dungeon game isn't really going to change my opinion on the Mystery Dungeon series to begin with. Buuuuuuut, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons are kind of the weakest series, I think. Not as good as Chocobo or the Dungeon Quest ones, just a tad more enjoyable because yay Pokemons.

All the other spin offs? Meh. I liked Stadium's minigames as a kid, but I'd probably hate them now. I never got into the TCG Gameboy Game, mainly just because I never really owned it.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Wow, I completely forgot about Snap.
And now I realized just how much fun I had playing it.

Nowadays I play mystery dungeon explorers of time
I got uber luck after i got a mission and got a ninetales (yes what is it with me an ninetales????) that knew flare blitz and heatwave, so it was basiccally my best pokemon now. my starter was a Piplup (though I was aiming for a cyndaquil)

I played the shadow pokemon games, and still have those purification ribbions that came with the game (after awhile, Im sure they will just fade out of existance)