Is this possible?

Matt_

Ok, so I have an idea, but I am wondering if I would be able to actually do it in a fan game. I am not going to elaborate that much to avoid spoilers, but would it be possible to make the protagonist transform outside of battle into a different sprite using a keyboard button, and use some sort of cool animation to transform her? And if the protagonist transformed, would I be able to set certain buttons on the keyboard to make the protagonist perform certain actions? Could I make it so that certain actions would only activate in certain assigned locations of the game? Lastly, with mega evolution, how would I change the name of the pokemon that mega evolves? Sorry for so many questions, but I suppose the main one is if I can trigger certain graphical events every time I hit a certain button.

The hardest thing about the transformation thing is creating the animation but other than that it is a very simple process. pbchangeplayer is the class you are looking for to use there.

As for the other thing, if you are asking to change the name of a Pokemon within its HP bar, that technically isn't possible. The display messages are easy to change. If you did want to change the HP display, you'd have to temporarily configure it to read something else other than off a Pokemon's data if that is even possible. Hardest thing about coding is actually following what goes where and does what. When you have an understanding most of what you asked is easily implemented.

On 9/30/2017 at 2:02 PM, Commander said:

The hardest thing about the transformation thing is creating the animation but other than that it is a very simple process. pbchangeplayer is the class you are looking for to use there.

As for the other thing, if you are asking to change the name of a Pokemon within its HP bar, that technically isn't possible. The display messages are easy to change. If you did want to change the HP display, you'd have to temporarily configure it to read something else other than off a Pokemon's data if that is even possible. Hardest thing about coding is actually following what goes where and does what. When you have an understanding most of what you asked is easily implemented.

If I created a script using the pbchangeplayer and added the animation and everything, do you know how I could activate the script using a specifc character on the keyboard? Aw, that's too bad that I can't change the mega name, but that isn't that important, luckily. Thanks for the help!

38 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

If I created a script using the pbchangeplayer and added the animation and everything, do you know how I could activate the script using a specifc character on the keyboard?

to do so you can use this script-> Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere)

Just replace the "InsertButtonHere" with the button you want to be pressing to activate the event.

To see which characters are available check at the script section PSystem_Controls and search for module Input

I hope this is what you are looking for.

On 9/30/2017 at 3:25 PM, groniack said:

to do so you can use this script-> Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere)

Just replace the "InsertButtonHere" with the button you want to be pressing to activate the event.

To see which characters are available check at the script section PSystem_Controls and search for module Input

I hope this is what you are looking for.

I looked at the PSystem_Controls, and looked at the input button commands. Would I just add another Input::button command into the script editor with my button? And after, there is a return command followed by a variable. Would just I write my script for the transformation, set it to a variable, and have Inputt::(button) return that variable? Sorry, I am really new to all this.

3 hours ago, Matt_ said:

I looked at the PSystem_Controls, and looked at the input button commands. Would I just add another Input::button command into the script editor with my button? And after, there is a return command followed by a variable. Would just I write my script for the transformation, set it to a variable, and have Inputt::(button) return that variable? Sorry, I am really new to all this.

you can use Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) as a condition in an if branch wherever you want at the script editor. Then, in the if branch you can add the transformation.

I am not sure if you can add any button command you want... Probably you can but you need to find which number matches which button.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:12 PM, groniack said:

you can use Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) as a condition in an if branch wherever you want at the script editor. Then, in the if branch you can add the transformation.

I am not sure if you can add any button command you want... Probably you can but you need to find which number matches which button.

Ok, thanks for the help! I still have a few specific questions though. I was wondering if I would be able to only allow the transformation to work after a specific event in the game. So basically, the button would do nothing until then. Also, I plan to allow the protagonist to transform back into the original sprite, how would I make it so that the protagonist will only transform into the original sprite when she is in the fusion state, and only into the fusion sprite when in the original state? I don't want somebody to transform into the same sprite. Last thing, do you know where I could find this sort of information? I don't want to have to make a post and rely on other people for all my problems.

Try contacting Dylanrockin, I do recall that he designed a character transformation system that allows the main character to switch between his alternate forms in the overworld (he even made multiple characters that you can change in the overworld) . He has a thread titled "Symphonic Horizon" in this Devoloping Games subforum.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:49 PM, hope4896 said:

Try contacting Dylanrockin, I do recall that he designed a character transformation system that allows the main character to switch between his alternate forms in the overworld (he even made multiple characters that you can change in the overworld) . He has a thread titled "Symphonic Horizon" in this Devoloping Games subforum.

Thanks, I contacted him about it.

16 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Ok, thanks for the help! I still have a few specific questions though. I was wondering if I would be able to only allow the transformation to work after a specific event in the game. So basically, the button would do nothing until then. Also, I plan to allow the protagonist to transform back into the original sprite, how would I make it so that the protagonist will only transform into the original sprite when she is in the fusion state, and only into the fusion sprite when in the original state? I don't want somebody to transform into the same sprite. Last thing, do you know where I could find this sort of information? I don't want to have to make a post and rely on other people for all my problems.

What I would do is have a specific variable just for the transformation. You can make that variable take value 1 with the specific event in the game you are making.

In order to transform, you can have an if branch with conditions ( Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) && $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]==1) and follow it with the transformation effect. After the transformation effect add this instruction: $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]=2

This will help so as not to transform into the same sprite but it will also work as a condition for the transformation back to the original sprite

So you have to create a second if branch with these conditions: ( Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) && $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]==2)  and follow it with the code for transformation back to the original sprite. Before you close the if branch, add this instruction: $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]=1

That's how I would do it... Hope it helps you a bit.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:24 AM, groniack said:

What I would do is have a specific variable just for the transformation. You can make that variable take value 1 with the specific event in the game you are making.

In order to transform, you can have an if branch with conditions ( Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) && $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]==1) and follow it with the transformation effect. After the transformation effect add this instruction: $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]=2

This will help so as not to transform into the same sprite but it will also work as a condition for the transformation back to the original sprite

So you have to create a second if branch with these conditions: ( Input.press?(Input::InsertButtonHere) && $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]==2)  and follow it with the code for transformation back to the original sprite. Before you close the if branch, add this instruction: $game_variables[NumberOfVariableHere]=1

That's how I would do it... Hope it helps you a bit.

First off: you could do this much better with a method than using variables, mostly because that's way better and you can call it anywhere instead of copy/pasing if-else statements. Your initial idea of using a button is correct, however it's much deeper than just variable-button, then do thing.

Secondly: I read his message and as flattered as I am to have been addressed for this sort of thing, I'd have to decline in revealing any information involving my methodologies. That and I feel he'd get more out of it, if he learned how to do this himself. Also, RPG Maker XP doesn't play nicely, you'll find to overworld-sprite transformation animations, at all in fact. As in, you can't do it, unless you're familiar with the deeper complexities of Ruby and RGSS. The system I created is complex and fits my purposes because it was tailor made, by me, to be compatible with my game alone, which is another reason why it wouldn't work for him.

This is the sort of thing I'd recommend for advanced users who know of even the most subtle of nuances involving RGSS that goes beyond just "If this, then this. Variable that, Switch on/off." It's deeper than you'd expect.

Just wanted to clarify, and I hope I didn't come off as rude or off-putting. Just telling it straight.

Edited by Dylanrockin

On 10/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, Dylanrockin said:

First off: you could do this much better with a method than using variables, mostly because that's way better and you can call it anywhere instead of copy/pasing if-else statements. Your initial idea of using a button is correct, however it's much deeper than just variable-button, then do thing.

Secondly: I read his message and as flattered as I am to have been addressed for this sort of thing, I'd have to decline in revealing any information involving my methodologies. That and I feel he'd get more out of it, if he learned how to do this himself. Also, RPG Maker XP doesn't play nicely, you'll find to overworld-sprite transformation animations, at all in fact. As in, you can't do it, unless you're familiar with the deeper complexities of Ruby and RGSS. The system I created is complex and fits my purposes because it was tailor made, by me, to be compatible with my game alone, which is another reason why it wouldn't work for him.

This is the sort of thing I'd recommend for advanced users who know of even the most subtle of nuances involving RGSS that goes beyond just "If this, then this. Variable that, Switch on/off." It's deeper than you'd expect.

Just wanted to clarify, and I hope I didn't come off as rude or off-putting. Just telling it straight.

Alright, I understand. I respect your decision, and I honestly do need to figure more out on my own. I am really quite inexperienced when it comes to Ruby and RGSS, so I have started getting more into it recently. Although, even if I am inexperienced, I plan on going through with the transformations in my game, even if it takes a while before I have a fully functional transformation system. Anyways, thanks for clarifying!

9 hours ago, Dylanrockin said:

I was sure there would be a better way to do it... Personally I haven't studied ruby. I use it like C, that's why I really like using conditional branches and give instructions directly. I actually created a script for transformation and it works quite well. But I agree that in order to make it work more efficiently, I need to study ruby. I didn't like the fact that I had to wast variables for this...

Anyway, @Matt_ , good luck on this. Study it a bit more. One way or another you will manage it :)