[IC] TFW Chapter 2: Wrath

Shamitako

Wendy

Wendy decided not to push the point about Anemone not picking up on the things she considered obvious. It seemed best to her to just move on. She wasn't aware that sleep could open up so many doors, so it seemed like the obvious answer. But if Anemone were going to look into her mind... "One moment." Was all she said.

Wendigo walked off to the side and seemed to be talking to herself to sort out her thoughts, but Anemone could see that there was more to it than that. What precisely was happening was unclear, but to Anemone's truesight it seemed like Wendy's Spark was active. Yet for some reason, no summons emerged.

After a short while, Wendy returned to Anemone. "Alright, try looking into my dreams." She said with forced conviction, "I've nothing to hide. ...But be forewarned, you won't like what you see if it works."

Genie

Genie let Tensi in and guided her to Ice. Tensi repeatedly glanced between the two, seeming rather nervous. The fact that Genie was acting strangely herself likely didn't help. She smiled to reassure the girl and left her with Ice, heading to the back to tend to Loki. It was still eating at her. Not what she'd told Ice, though Loki's genetics and striking similarity to Merlin were of concern. What actually had her on edge was her own data file. She'd had to know what was inside, but now that she did she desperately wanted to unsee it. Chorus had done a lot of things that Genie disagreed with, but not even the Rising Tide experiment was as stomach-turning as what Genie was soon to go through.

Tensi

Tensi already hated medical checks, but Genie's strange attitude was really pushing her to the edge. The false smile had done the opposite of reassure her, instead increasing her anxiety. Her throat had gone dry, her heart was racing, and the check hadn't even begun. She stared at Ice through dilated pupils, waiting for the chilly outsider to break through the seemingly infinite silence.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anemone

"Don't worry about me. Regardless of what l see... lt's not l who's carrying it." Anemone said, perhaps the first time she truly looked serious this entire conversation. With her good hand she fiddled around in one of her many pockets, and all sorts of rattling and plinking sounds could be heard. Wendy would probably start to wonder how many objects could be in such a small pocket. "Oh where is one of those?" Anemone said a look of slight frustration on her face. lt lit up though, her ponytail perkin' up the clearest sign.

"Ah there!" the tiny mage exclaimed as she produced what looked to be a small purple marble in the palm of her hand. "This, is a marble! lt has no express purpose. l've a few of these marbles but that's not important right now." she smiled before willing energy into it, a faint and soft purple light emanated from her palm and slowly enveloped the marble. Anemone focused her power into it and wrote the spell within its confines. "These marbles help my magic, being that l'm not particularly good with any magic on it's own. Through proper prep work and planning however l can achieve much powerful magic by shaping energy with focuses such as this. l'm sure the principle is familiar as foci are quite common a practice." she smiled as she continued to work her craft on the small little glass ball. She shaped the magic to it, using it to focus her spell into the correct shape. 

"Alright this one's done, l'll have to insert it. Which means l'll have to touch you. l'll have to do it or it won't reach the proper location for connection. Are you okay with that Wendy?"

Ice noted the girl's tension. Fear of medical checks? Of herself, perhaps? She didn't generally think she was intimidating, but she also realized she wasn't particularly approachable either; maybe she was just anxious at talking to a stranger?  "Hello, Tensi," she said, with some approximation of a smile. "I just have a few questions to ask you. The first one is a list of symptoms. Have you recently felt extreme sadness or depression, loss of interest in activities, a craving for blood, nyctophobia - that's a fear of the dark - claustrophobia, or a panic attack?" If the girl wasn't already in the midst of the last, anyway.

(OOC: Hey, uh, Huk, storing spells/energy for later is literally Ansuz's spark. So I kinda can't let you do it, sorry)

Tensi

"Uh, I'm scared of the dark." Tensi responded. She nodded slightly, almost as though confirming the thought to herself. "And sometimes I get panic attacks, I think. Genie's explanation of them is confusing but she said I do."

Ice scribbled down a couple notes. "Could you describe those in more detail? Start with the nyctophobia. Is it a universal fear of dark places, does it always happen or only some of the time, et cetera. Talk about it as much as possible, as long as you feel comfortable doing so." Ice's tone was soothing and calming - or, at least, it was to her. The mage was not exactly the most expressive individual and tended to come off as robotic at the best of times.

Tensi

Tensi was becoming increasingly panicked in spite of Ice's attempts to calm her down. Normally she was a level-headed girl, but she was very bad at handling her anxieties. To make matters worse, her fear of the dark extended to thinking about darkness. "I... I don't know." She cast about anxiously. Steam was starting to form around her and her gloves were starting to glow dull red. "I just don't like being in the dark, or thinking about being in the dark. It makes my head all fuzzy." She looked around again, her gaze lingering on the curtain separating them from Genie and Loki. Her next sentence was surprisingly calm. "When I'm in the dark it makes me angry, that's what really scares me."

Forge was definitely not comfortable with the sudden, jerking movement, but managed to keep herself together and tried to focus - with Tallow focusing on the moving, she focused on looking around the halls and trying to see if there was any sign they were going the right way or a sign of what the right way was. 

Ice leaned forward slightly, as much as it was possible to do so in the chemical bath she currently occupied. "It's okay, Tensi." The glow forming on the girl's gloves didn't escape her; that and the fact that steam was rising off of the girl were indicators that her body temperature was far, far above a healthy state already. A part of her was irritated that she hadn't managed to note any signs of heating yet. She pressed the button Genie had given her firmly, before continuing. "Let me move on to another question. How do you feel about your name? I'm listening, regardless of whatever else I may be doing."

Her mouth continued to move after she finished speaking to the girl; she was quietly intoning an incantation, low enough to be drowned out by the overworked cooling system Tensi wore. She cast two spells; the first, a simple, one-word "Frost" spell that coated the target in a paper-thin layer of ice; not nearly enough to be hazardous even if it were accidentally mistargeted, as she focused on the two spots that were turning red. The second was longer, and quite a bit more complex; it leeched heat from the target directly, and therefore could be very dangerous if mistargeted - hence the addition of a longer incantation for control, here, as the mage wasn't here to kill the girl. Fortunately, it was the sort of spell that began to take effect when partially cast.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:21 PM, KosherKitten said:

Caliber

Caliber watched in silence as Cheryn slowly smothered the fire. She could see that the shield mage was at her limit just as the fire was finally snuffed out. Caliber didn't exactly feel guilty over what she'd done, but she did feel sort of relieved that Cheryn had stopped her from killing herself. In hindsight it felt like a worthless way to go. "Thanks for that." she mumbled in Cheryn's general direction. "So, um, I guess we should head back and help supervise the little ones? ...Though I think the ones who really need supervision, aside from myself obviously, are Meltdown and Accelerator." Though she didn't like to show it, Caliber cared deeply about all of her fellow freaks, not just Tallow. Even if they tended to avoid her, she had watched them all from afar and knew much about them. Perhaps she was lonely at heart, she wasn't sure what exactly. Something had drawn her to watch over the others. It was from that very watching that she had come to despise this horrible, horrible room.

"Don't.... mention it...." Cheryn managed through clenched teeth. The fires were dead by now, but she made no attempt to stand, not with the world spinning. On the one hand, she was almost impressed that she'd managed to singlehandedly put out a flame that rampant, with nothing but a couple well placed shields and charms, at that. On the other, her exhaustion right now was... less than optimal, to say the least. Hell, if Calliber wanted, she could've easily tried to pull something, right here, right now, and it would be all Cheryn could really do to throw up a barrier between them... nor would there be any real chance of her managing to catch her again if she took off. 

Luckily Calliber seemed at least somewhat thankful at the gesture Cheryn had made. But didn't change the fact she had overextended here. Maybe she was just being overly critical of her own progress, maybe it was just a sign she needed to work up new wards specifically for beyond-the-pale scenarios like this. Didn't matter, something would need to be done. And that was to say nothing of explaining all this to Merlin when she returned. But...those were all matters for later. For now....

"Yeh, I guess we... probably should. Don't know what the others might be doing, but.... anyways-" She paused for moment, now that the dizziness and vertigo was beginning to pass "One thing though. Promise me something? That you'll never try.... this again? And I don't mean just the fire, either. Look, if there's anything you ever wanna talk about, anything eating at you, there are... better ways than this. I wouldn't mind listening or trying to help- and I'm sure none of the others would either. Just... just try to talk to someone from now on, okay? You guys aren't alone here anymore... and I know Merlin and all the rest of us would sooner die before we let any of the crap that went on start again. You don't have to deal with this by yourself."

Tallow

Tallow took notice of Forge being uncomfortable and made an effort to lengthen his stops between dashes. After a while of dashing around the base to little effect (though they at least found some of the outer walls), Tallow stopped entirely. Until this point he'd just been going all the way down each hall, jumping to the next one over and going back, but it wasn't getting them anywhere. "This is going too slow." he told Forge, "We need a way to find the center, but even going through the walls the maze is still disorienting. I can never tell how far away from the outside we are."

Caliber

Caliber nodded almost imperceptibly. "I'll remember that." for a moment she sounded truly grateful. But then the moment was past. "As for the others, like I said, there's a good chance Accelerator and Meltdown are up to something. But we could always just go back to the barracks, most of the younger ones should be there. Genie's doing a lot of health checks today, so it's probably just the weirdo in black watching them right now." Caliber would prefer they check on the older pair, but she tried to keep her tone neutral and let Cheryn decide on her own.

Wendy

"Understood, go ahead." Wendy acknowledged. She had no qualms with strangers touching her, she'd been touched everywhere imaginable long before she could remember it. Perhaps for some the poking and prodding was a deterrent to human contact, but Wendigo was completely desensitized to it.

Tensi

Tensi felt Ice's attempts to cool her down and started to panic at the realization that she was overheating, further increasing her heat output. But nonetheless, she dutifully answered the question. "Um, it's, strange. Not the name itself, having a name at all. For most of us the closest we get to names is experiment titles. That probably sounds weird to you, but how weird it sound to you is probably the same as how weird a name sounds to me." she seemed like she might say more, but just then Genie emerged from the curtain.

"Oh, that's not good." Genie said as she immediately realized what was happening with Tensi. She rushed over and started fiddling with one of the girl's gloves. "Oh this is very bad."

"What's wrong with it?" Tensi asked.

"Nothing, it's working fine. You've gotten hotter again."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

Genie smiled softly. "Not your fault." She then looked to Ice, "Can you keep her like this for a little longer? There was work being done on an improved cooling system. It's not finished but at least one of the prototypes was completely functional. It won't take long to get them."

It took a few more moments for Ice to reply as she found a good spot to stop the incantation; the spell was designed to be continuous and chant-like, so it could be terminated in the middle without ill-effects; however, it still had proper stopping points and dangerous ones. "I can," she said simply, most of her focus still on the spell. Her eyes flicked upward from the girl's hands to her face, briefly. "Let's continue in the meantime." Keeping Tensi focused on something other than the gloves would likely help. "Have you been doing your anger management exercises?" After she finished, she started up more of the same chant, weaving the duplicate spell together with the first. 

Anemone

"Alright, then let's get started!" the tiny mage could barely contain her excitement. This was a type of magic she'd not oft got to use so it'd be an interesting test of her abilities. Further, She would perhaps gain insight into someone else's spark. Quite the bonus to have. She was a bit scared of what she'd find in Wendy's head though. She knew all those kids hadn't exactly had great lives, but she was about to peer into one of their past. She was afraid of learning what this girl had to bear...

She popped over, her ponytail swaying behind her in excitement. She rolled the marble around in her hand, the using it to continue focusing the energy. She took it between her index finger and her thumb and held it tight so it'd not slip from her fingertips. With her other hand she felt for where the base of Wendy's skull was on her neck. Once that was located, she placed the marble up against it and willed the energy up into Wendy's body. She rolled the marble back into her palm. "Okay, the magic should be in place now. l'm not really sure if it feels like anything at first... l hear it apparently feels fuzzy and warm once a connection is established though. lt should connect our minds on a limited level on it's own soon."

Cheryn

"The weirdo in- ah fuck.... I forgot Merlin ordered her ass to stay here," Cheryn muttered to herself as she finally stood. She had the use the wall as a guide for a bit, but for the most part she'd recovered enough to not pass out simply from walking. "Well....the younger kids seemed fine when I was in there a while ago. And as disgraced as Charity is at this moment, and as much as she's rightfully guilting herself over it, I doubt she'll make another stupid fuck up anytime soon."  Her voice was blunt, her tone almost alright venomous as she spoke of the other woman, before she shook her head. This wasn't the time to get into that. And there was also another matter that she recalled, now that the immediate disaster was over. Taking a deep breath, she steered the conversation back on course.

"... anyway, I think they'll be fine, for the time being. And it's true that Meltdown and Accelerator aren't accounted for, as far as I know. If they're up to their own devices... oh gods. Alright, let's find them. Before we do though, Beza was helping me look for you, a while back; we were searching Tailow's room when she got spooked from the explosion here, told her to stay put while I checked it out. Once I've calmed her down and sent her back to the barracks, we can figure out where those two are. " 

Wendy

Wendy soon felt the described fuzziness as she and Anemone's minds were linked together. "It seems to be active." She notified Anemone. With the focus in place, it wouldn't take much for Anemone to see into Wendigo's mind. But were she to seek the girl's dreams, Anemone would have to dig much deeper to find Wendy's soul.

Caliber

"Oh, yeah, then we'd better get her." Caliber lead the way to the teleporter so they could head back. She felt bad for scaring Beza, she really hadn't meant for anyone to get hurt. Besides herself. In truth, at least part of her stunt was caused by a feeling of inadequacy and failure. The sight of Beza cowering in the corner of Tallow's old cell nailed home the point that her actions were just another failure.

• 1 month later...

Cheryn

"Beza," Cheryn called as she approached slowly, putting a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder "Beza, I found Caliber. I've handled everything now, it's alright, you don't have to be scared. We're gonna go look for some of the others who haven't been seen in a while. Why don't you go back to the barracks for now, wait there with the others until I'm done?"

Merlin

Seeing as no one was doing anything, Merlin decided she should probably take it on herself to solve this issue. No big deal, she'd just fly out over the lava and shoot a fuckton of ice at it until it hardened. Might take a while, but they weren't in any rush. With this plan in mind, she hopped on her broom and flew out over the trap. Unfortunately, it turned out that was triggering the trap. The lava started rising, because of course it would, and a forcefield dropped down, cutting her off from the rest of the group. It was apparent that whoever was running this was not going to accept a half-assed solution. Problem was, Merlin didn't have any way to deal with rapidly rising lava or the sudden appearance of forcefields. Well, there was one way, but it was likely to backfire explosively. Unfortunately, there wasn't really time to think of another option. She quickly attempted to relay what was going to happen to the rest of the group.

"I'm going to try something risky. If it works, which it probably won't, then everything will be fine." she announced, "If it doesn't work then the roof is going to come down on you. I need all of you to prepare for that."

Following this, she closed her eyes and focused, calling on thoughts and feelings she hadn't touched in years, perhaps decades. She began chanting in a strange language that none present had ever heard before. She extended her hand downwards and shouted the final word of her chant while opening her eyes. At first nothing happened, but then she sneezed. It was obviously a failure to cast the spell she'd been attempting, they'd all been through it before. But instead of a puff of energy that just tossed Merlin back a little ways, the result of her sneeze was a massive explosion of power that tore through the entire facility, smashing walls and bringing the roof down.

(OOC: Twin, don't respond to the explosion just yet, I'll write it into tallow's next post.)

Exile

Oh hey! Finally something to do! A puzzle, and one of those dynamically shifting ones at that! So... let's gather up all the details first, there's rubble falling from the roof, that's bad. It's the result from an explosion, a pretty big one at that, which is to say that it won't be predictable and the debris that does come down will probably be pretty big. Oh and the alarm's definitely been raised, but that's not too pressing (fufu~ pressing, get it?) right now. 

As 9 out of 10 experts will agree, roofs are big, heavy, and crushy, so... blasting it probably isn't the best idea, going to need a lot of firepower and since she was the lucky person brought in here to help do the damaging... that wasn't something they had much of. Telekinesis could stall, but once it all piles up, they're surely be crushed!  Same goes for making another roof, except that new roof will also help crush them, and if her maths was right, being crushed by two roofs is like twice as bad as being crushed by one! And as for mass teleportation, that piece had already been taken last game. A shame. 

Still, there are some really interesting things about roofs! They fall downwards, and they don't home in on people! Meaning, they don't need to stop or destroy the debris, merely shift it to the side, create a small hole for the group to fit through. 

"Gather up, closer is better! Aim up and blast the debris to the side! Don't aim to destroy it we just need to make sure it doesn't turn us into pancakes! Break up the bigger pieces if they're hard to move!"

Exile aims upwards, phantasmal bolts of shimmering force flickering into existence and becoming phantasmal no more. The idea was simple -  hit the pieces right on the side so they don't land on the party. And if need-be, phase shift in some explosive shots to break up pieces too big to move quickly enough.

Bartek

"Get under my shield, friends! Concrete on head is bad for health, Mother always told Bartek!"

As if moving from a centuries-long slumber, the largest member of the party surges forwards from behind the party, where he's been silent a while, following under Merlin's command and moving where he they were needed. Bartek was no magical powerhouse; Merlin, Exile and the others were far better at blasting things apart. He could throw punches and lift heavy weights, but that was nothing in the face of magic.

But when Bartek was needed to put up a wall to protect others, a wall he would put up, and at that, he was best.

"Over here!"

He forms a barrier above his head to protect himself and anyone else underneath him from the debris, holding his arms up to prop it up in a protective gesture, trying to grab anyone he can underneath it and catch as much of the party still unprotected underneath as he advances towards Exile's attempt to make a hole.

Anemone

Okay then! l will be talking through the link now instead.... Over. the words popped into Wendy's mind, they felt fuzzy like the link, but they were clear enough to be understood. She'd have to go through the basics with Wendy most likely, but it was nothing she wasn't used to coaching people through, she'd done it on a few occasions. You can reply as well! Just feel for the link, reach through it into my mind, sorta like a tunnel or a passageway. Think the thought and send it on it's way. l guess, think of it more like two bodies of water that have a small channel between them. One is your mind, the other is mine. We can send things back and forth between that channel, message in a bottle style! lt's really cool isn't it? l should wait to have you confirm the connection in here but l'm sure it's working if you can feel the link... Over.

Her work was only beginning though, while it was the work of the mind in part... dreams were something more. They were connected as well to an individual's soul in some sense. They were located in much harder to reach areas of the mind, the deeper ones. Where she was now, was the surface. The thoughts in the now, things that Wendy's mind was more in the moment occupied on. Anemone could read them, but the barrage would be extremely hard to process. lt'd be like straining a swarm of bees through your mind. ln other words, unpleasent. And that's without regards to content. Regardless they weren't what she was here for, so she shouldn't waste energy on them.

Okay... so. This is important. l'm going to need you to relax and focus on nothing in particular. Thoughts or ideas that you are focusing on tend to resonate or pull. They will make it difficult to process through your mind and get into the deepest parts, the ones that touch your very soul. This, this is where your dreams are located. Dreams aren't... exactly thought. lt's hard to explain really, even l don't quite understand it all myself, but they are located deep deep in the mind. Any particular strong thoughts however, will pull me towards them. Strong active thoughts are the worst, so if you must focus on something only focus on the sound of my voice or, me! As my mind is connected to yours currently... thoughts of me won't interfere with my progression. Do you copy? Over.

Dreaming Guardian

Unfortunately, the Guardian was a bit further away from Exile and Bartek than she would've liked. She tried to get over to either one of them a couple times, but each attempt seemed to end in failure, with the last one ending with a large amount of rubble landing right in front of her. She wasn't necessarily harmed in any way, but it was getting increasingly difficult to stay calm in these trying matters.

"Ah, crap. What am I... How am I supposed to-" She stopped mid-sentence and looked back to her Golem. She facepalmed when she realized she forgot the automaton was even there to begin with. "Duh! I could just... What am I doing? I'm just making more work for myself!"

The summoner used her Golem as cover as it got down on all fours. A bit of a tight fit, but she can easily change that. She altered the form of the torso, pushing the "belly" area inward and the back further out, making a sizable dip for her (and maybe one or two more people depending on their size) to hide in. This way, even if its limbs do give out, she wouldn't get crushed by her own creation while still protecting herself from up top. After that, she would use her unique position to assist with the rest of the team, whether it was to guard the more exposed members by transferring portions of her barrier to protect them, or if they're already protected well enough, she'll assist Bartek and Exile with the falling debris by pushing them aside.

• 2 months later...

Anemone

Anemone was answered with silence. Silence and total blackness. Something was clearly wrong. Connecting minds was easy enough, but looking into someone's soul was brand new, it was no surprise that there would be complications. But this wasn't just complications, Anemone felt completely severed from not only Wendigo, but her own body as well. It felt cold. No, brittle. As though her very existence might snap in two at any moment. I was a horrible, awful feeling.

Just when Anemone thought she'd be trapped in that brittle darkness forever, a light appeared. It was a grey, or perhaps blue, sort of light. As the light got closer, more details began to fill themselves in, forming a scene beneath Anemone. The light came from a set of three computer monitors, their glow illuminating the young woman sitting before them. Anemone couldn't see her face, but she had very pretty black hair that was surprisingly well kept compared to the messy room that surrounded it. There was trash, mostly empty food containers, everywhere, especially centered around the base of the chair the girl was perched atop.

Aside from her black hair, Anemone could make out that the girl was wearing a loose-fitting red t-shirt and not much, if anything, else. She sat with her knees at her chest, hunching over them to stare at the flickering screens. On those screens was a mostly still image of two people standing and talking, their expressions shifting occasionally. A box at the bottom of the screen denoted what they were saying in text, which Anemone could tell was in English, though it was a little too far away to read much. The girl paused for a moment to reach across the desk towards a bottle of water, drawing Anemone's attention to a very old looking book sitting next to it. Though she didn't know what it was, the book seemed to radiate Favor, as though it were made of magic itself.

Suddenly, the girl's arm froze and her head whipped around to look directly towards Anemone. Her eyes were red and her face was pretty and well kept, like her hair. "I d-don't know who you are, b-but I know you're there!" She announced anxiously. Anemone couldn't reply, and so they were left with no sound but the cheerful music of the game for several minutes, until finally the girl continued. "I'm going to take a wild guess and say you didn't mean to come here." Her voice had lost the nervous stutter it had held before, taking on a much more serious tone. "I don't know your reasons, but it was foolish to try to look into other dimensions without monitoring your own internal dimension. You can try to return to your own body, but that might cause your soul to become tethered here like mine. If that happens, your entire being may be pulled here, and then you'll be trapped. However, if we complete the spell, you should be able to return properly. We'll need a way to communicate if I'm going to help you, can you try to go into the computer?" The girl went quiet again, giving time for Anemone to try to move into the device.

Anemone

lt was a rush of feelings, her soul bearing the full brunt of it this time around. No human flesh to soften the impact, to hide behind. Anemone only felt a pervasive chill that wracked the full of her senses. What it was, she had no idea.SHe'd never felt it before. This... wasn't supposed to be how this worked. At least as far as the theory went. But she'd never done it in practice. She must've failed to... do to something correctly. What was forgotten? She couldn't really remember. She was having trouble remembering anything at the moment... she felt like her grasp wsa slipping until suddenly...

"I d-don't know who you are, b-but I know you're there!"

The lost soul panicked at the sudden words. Everything rushed back in that instant as her survival instincts kicked in. She could feel the eyes on her right now. Straing at her. She had no idea how or why but that they were and that's all she knew. Her thoughts raced amile a minute. She tried to say something but no words materilized. She had no mouth with which to do so. She couldn't even scream i she wanted to. However... she supposed i'd be a good lesson in how to focus herself when she was panicking. Brightsides... ye, try and keep positive. Time had passed quite a few minutes but due to the utter horror and panic it seemed like mere moments to Anemone. The situation had now calmed and the girl explained the situation or at least, some of what could be happening. Look into other dimensions... is that what she was doing? She didn't remember that being the case. Regardless she was here now though and she needed the ability to communicate with this girl somehow. She tried to will herself towards the computer the girl had indicated, She wasn't sure how this work or how she could make it known she had done this but her first concern was entering the device if she was even able in the first place. lf she could, she'd try and will out a message of some sort. She settled on a "Hello?" in English, which seemed to be the language this girl knew.

Forge

Forge appreciated the slightly longer periods to rest that Tallow gave them, but that didn't make the lack of progress any less frustrating. "Is there some sort of way we could mark where we were? If I could create more metal, then we could get an idea for the layout, but I can't in this form." Forge was trying to figure out something... the whole 'left hand' thing wouldn't work like in normal mazes. The only thing she could think of was to get to one of the edges, fly to the middle of it and then just go in from there.